Emily / She Tells Me - Elle Me Dit in English

I like this version much better than the french one, it's like I said a few pages back that it seems that this version is written more with his own words since he needed help with the lyrics on the french one.

I think both versions convey the "nagging mother", but people are going to be biased towards the version in the language they are more familiar with.

Interesting that he kept the chorus in French though, and didn't sing "Why do you waste your life" or "She tells me "Dance".

In my opinion, the English version can/will change. It was a first, concert version, I think (if Mika will record it in the studio), he will refine the lyrics or the chorus or the music itself.

Everything is so changeable now. We don't know anything (or not too much) about the processing/making of the new album. I think, "they" don't inform us of the new album, I mean we haven't got so much information. And it takes soooo long. 2012, jesus, too much time.

But I liked this expression (from nenartis if I remember right):

"Because what attracted me to Mika's music is that it didn't smell industrial like most of today's music does."

He can be a product at a certain level but it feels good he doesn't smell industrial. Does it make any sense?

Yes it makes perfect sense and I understand Nenartis's point but that just wasn't my experience (because of his record launch-style gig in Toronto where I first took serious notice of him) and it didn't bother me. I still found him interesting and the real deal. I think the two concepts of artist/product can co-exist and that's how you get great pop stars. But that's just my opinion and if other people think product is a harsh word then I'm probably not going to change their minds.

There was no opening act at this gig and instead they showed Mika's little cartoon about the cookie-cutter pop stars being manufactured in the pop star factory (or whatever was going on there :roftl:). Where Mika breaks out of this mould for me is not that he does not have a product to sell but that the product he has conceived is different from the product everyone else is insisting will sell. And he was right. He was the top selling male artist in the world in 2007 because he was MIKA and not a carbon copy of Craig David.

Interesting that he kept the chorus in French though, and didn't sing "Why do you waste your life" or "She tells me "Dance".

I think that was the line he specifically referenced when he said that there are some things that sound better in French than in English.

In my opinion, the English version can/will change. It was a first, concert version, I think (if Mika will record it in the studio), he will refine the lyrics or the chorus or the music itself.

Everything is so changeable now. We don't know anything (or not too much) about the processing/making of the new album. I think, "they" don't inform us of the new album, I mean we haven't got so much information. And it takes soooo long. 2012, jesus, too much time.

I have a feeling that the English version will be saved for gigs, and not recorded (except maybe live). But I agree, he may change the lyrics.

And as for your last comment *sigh* - welcome to Mika time

I think that was the line he specifically referenced when he said that there are some things that sound better in French than in English.

Sigh. Not to me. But I don't think that bit being in English would make me like the song more. Melody, I want a melody.

He's right - it sounds more forceful in French, the English translation is full of soft consonants.

I think both versions convey the "nagging mother", but people are going to be biased towards the version in the language they are more familiar with.

Yes, but it kind of fits the song since he says that she screams at him in french. But it wouldn't be to much work to say it in english though.

I hope that he will record it in studio so we can buy this version.

On the English version... I think that it seems to flow more than the French version, in my opinion. The lyrics seem more honest, and to make more sense, and also the way he sings it seems to come out of him more naturally.

When I heard him sing the French versions I know I was quite vocal about how I didn't feel like the songs were "flowing" out when he did them, and now that I hear the English version of EMD I am 100% reaffirming that early opinion I had.

I compare the English version to the French version and I think that he's sounding a lot more convincing in the English one. The song is obviously still catchy, so nothing is lost.

Often when one translates a song, it loses a lot, but in this case I find that it gains :roftl:.

It's probably because the English version sounds a lot more honest and 'organic' to my ears (coming from him, as an English speaker) and I don't feel that he's trying to turn it into something else that it wasn't before. So, all in all, I think it sounds better.

I didn't have a massive problem with the French version, it was my favourite of the 3 new ones (or rather, the only one I liked) but now I find it better, and like it makes more sense. Not because I can understand the language more, but because I think that it makes more sense coming from him, as a 'non French as a native level' speaker :dunno:

One thing that I must say though, commenting on the costumes, is that I can't even bring myself to watch these videos. I've never been one too keen into his 'dressing up' and 'theatre' stuff, but I found it tolerable...In this summer's case though, it's actually really bugging me.

I don't know what it is about it, but to me it looks so contrived, so silly, and looking at him dressed in his Napoleonesque outfit just totally makes me distract from what I am listening to. I don't know if it's me, or him, but he just looks to me like he's not focusing so much on the singing either. That it's more about the theatre, and it feels a bit like a panto.

It's weird cause if you go to the opera, people are dressed up, often in very striking outfits, but I never felt that they seemed to not be into the music for that reason. However, in Mika's case I do get that feeling. Maybe some types are better at focusing on the music despite the external paraphernalia, and others not, and Mika is one of the latter? Who knows.

I just find that there is a massive difference when watching some of his old videos when he was more music based and now, and I miss that. Or even from the acoustic tour. Now THAT was him focusing on what really mattered, and it was utterly beautiful.

I love both :wub2:

In the radio show when he was introducing "Elle me dit" in French, Mika said that French sounds were different and sang the chorus to demonstrate the particular rythm "pourquoi tu gaches ta vie?" ...maybe that's why he still sings that part in French in the English version?

In Grace Kelly French version, he also always sings the chorus in English at least once during the song , that's similar in a way.

I don't mind the mix, it shows that Mika likes to play with both langages and change the song so it suits his mood of the day...like when he added the last two sentences of "Good Gone Girl" after he had performed it without them...that's Mika's magic to change his songs a bit each time and they stay alive and change with him...I've always loved Relax, but I never thought it would make me cry, which I did and still do sometimes when I hear it accoustic because it is so moving :blush-anim-cl:

Mika's songs are like the ocean, they're different and beautiful each time you dive into them; that's the reason why I'll never get enough of Mika :fangurl:

I am so glad you do .. to be honest, I was worried a bit. So in agreement about Mika's attitude, viewing the concept of what is considered to be a 'product' differently.

I had some buts, but my whole message disappeared when I tried to edit. :blink: My internet connection is sh** I'm too tired to type again. And dont fell that there's point to argue anymore, everything is explained.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

That's great attitude.

I have actually no problems with talking about "product". We can't deny some things however idealistic we want to be (and I often want :teehee:). But I liked this expression (from nenartis if I remember right):

"Because what attracted me to Mika's music is that it didn't smell industrial like most of today's music does."

He can be a product at a certain level but it feels good he doesn't smell industrial. Does it make any sense?

Perfect sense. He's organic not synthetic

:thumb_yello::biggrin2:

Sigh. Not to me. But I don't think that bit being in English would make me like the song more. Melody, I want a melody.

Would it be enough just her nose, Babs?:mf_rosetinted:

You get Mika as an extra bonus, though...:teehee:

MikaSchaffhausen06082011_91.jpg

I have a theory (and it,s just a theory) that maybe the english version is better because it was the second time he worked on the song?

Really like the discussion. too bad my kids were using computer when it happens.

And yes, I think every artist is a product, some needs more packaging then others:mf_rosetinted: Mika not being one of them:thumb_yello:

On the English version... I think that it seems to flow more than the French version, in my opinion. The lyrics seem more honest, and to make more sense, and also the way he sings it seems to come out of him more naturally.

When I heard him sing the French versions I know I was quite vocal about how I didn't feel like the songs were "flowing" out when he did them, and now that I hear the English version of EMD I am 100% reaffirming that early opinion I had.

I compare the English version to the French version and I think that he's sounding a lot more convincing in the English one. The song is obviously still catchy, so nothing is lost.

Often when one translates a song, it loses a lot, but in this case I find that it gains :roftl:.

It's probably because the English version sounds a lot more honest and 'organic' to my ears (coming from him, as an English speaker) and I don't feel that he's trying to turn it into something else that it wasn't before. So, all in all, I think it sounds better.

I didn't have a massive problem with the French version, it was my favourite of the 3 new ones (or rather, the only one I liked) but now I find it better, and like it makes more sense. Not because I can understand the language more, but because I think that it makes more sense coming from him, as a 'non French as a native level' speaker :dunno:

One thing that I must say though, commenting on the costumes, is that I can't even bring myself to watch these videos. I've never been one too keen into his 'dressing up' and 'theatre' stuff, but I found it tolerable...In this summer's case though, it's actually really bugging me.

I don't know what it is about it, but to me it looks so contrived, so silly, and looking at him dressed in his Napoleonesque outfit just totally makes me distract from what I am listening to. I don't know if it's me, or him, but he just looks to me like he's not focusing so much on the singing either. That it's more about the theatre, and it feels a bit like a panto.

It's weird cause if you go to the opera, people are dressed up, often in very striking outfits, but I never felt that they seemed to not be into the music for that reason. However, in Mika's case I do get that feeling. Maybe some types are better at focusing on the music despite the external paraphernalia, and others not, and Mika is one of the latter? Who knows.

I just find that there is a massive difference when watching some of his old videos when he was more music based and now, and I miss that. Or even from the acoustic tour. Now THAT was him focusing on what really mattered, and it was utterly beautiful.

OMG! i had written a very long answer to your post and i lost it :tears:

i dont know if i have the strength to start over! :aah:

BIG SIGH!

ok... to answer Sara :naughty:

When i heard Mika was going to have a french song (Elle me dit) i wasn't overly thrilled, for the simple reason that i still have nightmares about Grace Kelly in french (*nails/blackboard :aah:) But when i heard Elle me dit, i was really happy (and relieved :aah:) The message in french (word wise) is as strongly put as in english. I have a hard time judging the english version as of now, because all i have to go on is 1 video of Mika staring at the floor to read the lyrics.

As for the costumes, i found they were perfect for the Compiegne gig & i have no problems watching the vids. Is it something i will regret not seeing live? huh no! i'm not a huge fan of the dress up part, i'm afraid. I didn't even like the sparkles on his face :roftl: I like to see Mika and the band's facial expressions without all the tralala :blush-anim-cl:

I am "all about the voice" and yes, the acoustic tour is something i regret not seeing live. :tears: My favorite one is still Little noise session. I must look at those videos every 2 or 3 weeks. That concert was all about the voice, the songs & the harmony. i loved it! :fangurl:

BIG SIGH!

ok... to answer Sara :naughty:

When i heard Mika was going to have a french song (Elle me dit) i wasn't overly thrilled, for the simple reason that i still have nightmares about Grace Kelly in french (*nails/blackboard :aah:) But when i heard Elle me dit, i was really happy (and relieved :aah:) The message in french (word wise) is as strongly put as in english. I have a hard time judging the english version as of now, because all i have to go on is 1 video of Mika staring at the floor to read the lyrics.

As for the costumes, i found they were perfect for the Compiegne gig & i have no problems watching the vids. Is it something i will regret not seeing live? huh no! i'm not a huge fan of the dress up part, i'm afraid. I didn't even like the sparkles on his face :roftl: I like to see Mika and the band's facial expressions without all the tralala :blush-anim-cl:

I am "all about the voice" and yes, the acoustic tour is something i regret not seeing live. :tears: My favorite one is still Little noise session. I must look at those videos every 2 or 3 weeks. That concert was all about the voice, the songs & the harmony. i loved it! :fangurl:

I agree with you :thumb_yello: and love acoustic gig too, so beautiful :wub2: I really love it :fangurl:

But at Festivals I really liked the way more theatrical :biggrin2: I liked costumes and stage Marie Antoniette :wink2:

I agree, I think he sounds soooo much more himself when he is singing that in English. Like the lyrics are coming from him. I was surprised how much different it felt.

About the costumes. I would take an acoustic performance any day instead of theatrical shows. He can also do his big shows without any extra costumes, and that's why I really liked the Balaton Sound festival this year, he was mostly concentrating on performing. But if I compare his show last year and on this summer tour the latter one is really much, much better. I know his songs don't need any Marie Antoinette setting, but everything fit together well when you looked the big picture. I had much more difficulties with that mexican death feast meets feathers/school boy thing (even I liked some elements a lot as a detail).

I know :tears: Little Noise was BEAUTIFUL. Jam Sessions in Paris was another my favorite :wub2:

I saw him twice this summer, first one in Porto with Marie Antoniette costumes, and second one 6 days later in Benidorm without costumes, all in white, and I felt as if he was naked :blink:. I´m not into costumes and stuff, but I felt dissapointed (though I must admit that musically, Benidorm was way better than Porto) and I don´t know why... Maybe it´s cause he was dressed the same way and with the same stage as I saw him twice last year? :dunno:

He´s made us to be used to theatrical shows (the Imaginarium Tour, with all the band sitting down on an old couch watching in the TV news how Mika exploded was FANTASTIC) and though I don´t like him dressed as a clown, I do expect something else than white tight jeans and a white t-shirt.

Maybe the MA stage was only for Compiegne but then he thought "now that we have it, let´s use it, it´s expensive!! :aah:" and well, it´s just an stage... I mean... What is the meaning of the flowery set? Does it fit any song? and the astronaut? I guess he just wants to have some vissual hand-made effects in every gig, and Compiegne gave him this idea. I´m glad he´s not using lasers or flashes in big screens which would blind us (as many others artists do).

But again, though I like the MA set, I don´t want it for next tour. This set was nice for this summer festivals, but that´s all. No more MA for next tour, and of course, Mika, if you can, GET RID OF THE FLOWERY SET MAN!! (yes, it´s beautiful and stuff, but I think we´ve seen it enough :aah:)

I saw him twice this summer, first one in Porto with Marie Antoniette costumes, and second one 6 days later in Benidorm without costumes, all in white, and I felt as if he was naked :blink:. I´m not into costumes and stuff, but I felt dissapointed (though I must admit that musically, Benidorm was way better than Porto) and I don´t know why... Maybe it´s cause he was dressed the same way and with the same stage as I saw him twice last year? :dunno:

He´s made us to be used to theatrical shows (the Imaginarium Tour, with all the band sitting down on an old couch watching in the TV news how Mika exploded was FANTASTIC) and though I don´t like him dressed as a clown, I do expect something else than white tight jeans and a white t-shirt.

Maybe the MA stage was only for Compiegne but then he thought "now that we have it, let´s use it, it´s expensive!! :aah:" and well, it´s just an stage... I mean... What is the meaning of the flowery set? Does it fit any song? and the astronaut? I guess he just wants to have some vissual hand-made effects in every gig, and Compiegne gave him this idea. I´m glad he´s not using lasers or flashes in big screens which would blind us (as many others artists do).

But again, though I like the MA set, I don´t want it for next tour. This set was nice for this summer festivals, but that´s all. No more MA for next tour, and of course, Mika, if you can, GET RID OF THE FLOWERY SET MAN!! (yes, it´s beautiful and stuff, but I think we´ve seen it enough :aah:)

I was so happy when I found out that the Benidorm gig wasn't MA themed...

I like it and it fits the whole Compiège gig but to be honest, if he used the MA theme as long as he used the flowers, I would go crazy.

Even though I was happy about the Benidorm gig, I still miss the BGs and LGs and all that stuff.

I don't want him to get rid of his flowers, I'm just used to it.

It fits the whole colourful Mika-world where I like to wrap myself in when I don't feel fine anymore. (I don't even know if that's a correct sentence :aah: )

I really couldn't imagine Mika without all the colours, artwork, costumes, ...

It's one of the things that makes him different from all the other artist (who use a picture of their own face as 'cover art' ).

I wish he could still keep some things of the old show but also add a lot of new, beautiful things to make it different again.

I always wondered "why only BGs and LGs? Why not good gone girls or mubbins on stage?" :aah:

He could do so much more with the same theme, so he could still be the same Mika but also be very new ...

But I really like the MA theme, as long as it is only for this summer :aah:

What I'm trying to say is, I don't really like change (in any way, when I have to move to another house, it takes so long till I get used to it) and I don't want Mika to change TOO hard ...

Of course, there are people who really like change and for them, this must be great!

Omg this isn't even about Elle me dit anymore, I'm waaaaaaaay off topic :aah: Sorry.

About Elle me dit, I like it, but I love the English version even more because French was also a change for me :blush-anim-cl: I'm more used to the English speaking Mika :teehee:

I don't think I even posted a post this long :aah:

I was so happy when I found out that the Benidorm gig wasn't MA themed...

I like it and it fits the whole Compiège gig but to be honest, if he used the MA theme as long as he used the flowers, I would go crazy.

Even though I was happy about the Benidorm gig, I still miss the BGs and LGs and all that stuff.

I don't want him to get rid of his flowers, I'm just used to it.

It fits the whole colourful Mika-world where I like to wrap myself in when I don't feel fine anymore. (I don't even know if that's a correct sentence :aah: )

I really couldn't imagine Mika without all the colours, artwork, costumes, ...

It's one of the things that makes him different from all the other artist (who use a picture of their own face as 'cover art' ).

I wish he could still keep some things of the old show but also add a lot of new, beautiful things to make it different again.

I always wondered "why only BGs and LGs? Why not good gone girls or mubbins on stage?" :aah:

He could do so much more with the same theme, so he could still be the same Mika but also be very new ...

But I really like the MA theme, as long as it is only for this summer :aah:

What I'm trying to say is, I don't really like change (in any way, when I have to move to another house, it takes so long till I get used to it) and I don't want Mika to change TOO hard ...

Of course, there are people who really like change and for them, this must be great!

Omg this isn't even about Elle me dit anymore, I'm waaaaaaaay off topic :aah: Sorry.

About Elle me dit, I like it, but I love the English version even more because French was also a change for me :blush-anim-cl: I'm more used to the English speaking Mika :teehee:

I don't think I even posted a post this long :aah:

I don´t like changes at all either (unless change means signing EMD in English :aah:) and I love colors, but he could do more colorful sets than the old flowery set :mf_rosetinted:

I have a theory (and it,s just a theory) that maybe the english version is better because it was the second time he worked on the song?

My theory is that the English lyrics work better because that was the orginial version. :teehee:

I have a feeling that the English version will be saved for gigs, and not recorded (except maybe live). But I agree, he may change the lyrics.

I can’t see why he’d need to change the lyrics. They are perfect as they are, as far as I am concerned. :dunno:

I hope he’ll record the English version and arrange it differently. There is no point in recording the same song in two different languages but equally no point depriving non-French speakers from the chance to listen to this well-written song in good quality.