Emily / She Tells Me - Elle Me Dit in English

I think what gives me these mixed feeling is that when he did it in French I was forced to ignore the lyrics (even I knew what he said and I had read many translations) and I had a freedom to make an image in my head while listening to the song.

Now it's not possible anymore, because I can understand the lyrics :roftl: So the image in my head is gone and I have to create a whole new attitude to this song. I like the English lyrics though. Now I can imagine his mother more clearly while listening to the song :teehee: Maybe I will like it even more than the French version when I get to used to it.

I think for me just the idea was enough. I feel very strongly about mother-son relationships. This song lived it's own life in my head. I can't help it :teehee:

I don't know if this is a mother/son thing. I think this battle is playing out with mothers and all their children. Especially the "all the sh*t I have to go through". By that I think they mean "You have a mind of your own and do what you want and when you're 30 years old I won't have any problem with this exact behaviour. But since you're 17 I have not come to terms with the fact that you're no longer a child and won't do as you're told. I can't handle it so I am going to threaten and guilt trip you into minding me like you did when you were 8 years old." :naughty:

Ithis means again that we need to buy six different versions of his album because the bonus songs are different! :roftl:

:sneaky2:

:sneaky2: indeed.

What a waste of Mika's time that would be.

The failure or the success of his next album will depend on the success of the singles he releases, so there is no reason to play around with bonus tracks much. They are tracks that may not fit the concept / feel of the album that much but should not go to waste. Of course many fans will buy up foreign editions if there is a new song on it but many collectors would do it anyway, even without anything extra on them apart for some stickers or whatever came with TBWKTM in Japan or Korea last time. :teehee:

I think, it would be good, if EMDs (French and English version) were there on a Deluxe Edition of The Origin Of Love worldwide! And the normal edition would include the 12 songs he planned.

Edited by TimyBlanco

I hope the French version will be a bonus track in France, and the English version will be a bonus track elsewhere. Then we can have both :thumb_yello:

Wise words , Silver :thumb_yello:

I love both, the English lyrics are really great too :biggrin2: Mika is a true magician :blush-anim-cl:

I love this song very much. I'm happy he also wrote it in English, i don't know why. Maybe because it gives me the feeling that he also thinks of all his other fans, who don't speak French. :) He said "I did it in French and that was OKAY" but in his DVD 'live in cartoon motion' he says: "you never want everyone to be like 'oh, it's just okay' if everyone went 'oh, it's just okay' *mumbles* that would have been the worst" I thinks it shows he wants many people to be happy of his song, so not only in France..

I hope Mika will record it in English for the album and change the production a bit so that we can have two versions of the same song. I wouldn't mind it being a bit more electronic but without his voice being distorted.

I agree with all of the above, with special emphasis on no vocal distortion. Let's not throw cheap paint overtop of a Van Gogh, eh? :teehee:

I have finally memorized the French version (:aah:) but these lyrics are much better in my biased opinion (since I am not bilingual). There is no comparison between "get your ass to number one" and "write a song that the whole world will love". The English is clever and descriptive.

I am getting a much more vivid picture of this mother and her histrionics and guilt tripping and a son who is tuning out the drama physically, emotionally and pharmacologically :naughty:

This particular sentence may be more dramatic in english then the french one, but as the song goes on, the message is just as descriptive in french. It is as dramatic. :naughty: I think the drama was lost in our english translation :roftl:

I agree with all of the above, with special emphasis on no vocal distortion. Let's not throw cheap paint overtop of a Van Gogh, eh? :teehee:

:lmfao: true! (love that Canadian eh? at the end btw) :aah:

I have mixed feelings after this English version. I really liked the idea he is doing songs in French. And it was so cool he did it in English in Schaffhausen, I loved it, but I still assumed (and hope) it will be in French on the album.

Thanks everyone working with the lyrics!! :thumb_yello: You did it so fast!! :boing:

I hope we will have both variants! I can't say exactly which one I like better. Why not to love both songs? :thumb_yello::wub2:

After translation at MFC, I perfectly understood the French variant, so I had no problem with it. The only hassle is being unable to sing along, but I already learned Chorus and different lines here and there. I was a good stimulus to learn a bit of French.

With English variant singing will be easier :)

Edited by Dreamy_Queen

i already LOL'd during the soundcheck when i heard "get your ass to number one"! - at that point i hadn't noticed yet that he was singing it all in english and i thought he was improvising. :lmfao:

That's what I thought at first, too. :naughty:

Thanks for the lyrics! :thumb_yello:

The 'danse sande danse' part after the chorus is 'Why are you waisting your life?'

where? you mean instead of 'she tells me it's my life' it is why are you wasting your life?

Anyway, some more small corrections.

Since he keeps asking his mum in the previous phrases as well, the grammatically correct version of this line should be

Who're you speaking to in French (the printed out lyrics miss 'are' and he does not sing the 'are' either)

also, I think this one is in past tense:

All the s***t I had to get through (again, based on the context)

I hope we will have both variants! I can't say exactly which one I like better. Why not to love both songs? :thumb_yello::wub2:

Of course one can love both songs. :thumb_yello:

If one doesn't speak either of the languages though, I doubt they get the meaning the same way they would if the words actually meant anything for them. To me it is like reading the literally translation of poem. It does not work the same way. It needs to be in verse and the translated version needs to find the equivalent of some special expressions in the language it has been translated to.

However, songs speak to people in different ways. For some it is the music that a particular song works through, for others it is the lyrics or the combination of the two and there are also those who get the meaning via Mika's curls, I guess.:roftl:

Of course one can love both songs. :thumb_yello:

If one doesn't speak either of the languages though, I doubt they get the meaning the same way they would if the words actually meant anything for them. To me it is like reading the literally translation of poem. It does not work the same way. It needs to be in verse and the translated version needs to find the equivalent of some special expressions in the language it has been translated to.

However, songs speak to people in different ways. For some it is the music that a particular song works through, for others it is the lyrics or the combination of the two and there are also those who get the meaning via Mika's curls, I guess.:roftl:

!.Exactly! :thumb_yello:

2.:floor:

I don't actually care if he has curls or no hair at all (:teehee: ) but it's not only lyrics I care. And songs are very different depending how they are performed (acoustic performance without any stage clothes vs. Marie Antoinette setting with costumes). In some songs lyrics are really important (like Lady Jane, Relax, Rain and I See You, just to mention a few).

I don't actually care if he has curls or no hair at all (:teehee: ) but it's not only lyrics I care. And songs are very different depending how they are performed (acoustic performance without any stage clothes vs. Marie Antoinette setting with costumes). In some songs lyrics are really important (like Lady Jane, Relax, Rain and I See You, just to mention a few).

:thumb_yello:

Taking into account, that we still have no idea what he meant with some lines or even parts of some songs :naughty:

If serious, some songs are dissected into multiple quotes, and some songs are great despite weird illegible texts.

For me, EMD has a meaningful lyrics, even in French. For example, Pourquoi tu gâches ta vie? makes me almost panic. I start thinking at once what Mika got in his 27 (in spite moaning of "mum" in a song), and what I achieved in my 32 :boxed:

thanks again to MFC lyric team ! well done, you`re all fantastic and very precise !:thumb_yello:

The English version definitely makes more sense for me than French one. May be that`s `cause I don`t speak French at all. All English lines are more familiar for someone who speaks English ( I hope, I do:teehee:).

In Russian stores we usualy get European CD editions, so probably I`ll buy the one with English EMD.