Emily / She Tells Me - Elle Me Dit in English

My theory is that the English lyrics work better because that was the orginial version. :teehee:

I can’t see why he’d need to change the lyrics. They are perfect as they are, as far as I am concerned. :dunno:

I hope he’ll record the English version and arrange it differently. There is no point in recording the same song in two different languages but equally no point depriving non-French speakers from the chance to listen to this well-written song in good quality.

I don´t know why but I´m afraid that EMD (in its English version) won´t be on the album... I´d love it to be, even more now that we know that the french version will only be available in French countries, but I think that this song was made for Compiegne and it won´t be released. AND I´D REALLY LOVE TO BE WRONG!

Same with Kick Ass... Couldn´t it be an extra in the album?

yes. Suddenly it all makes sense and I think it is a good song. :boing:

I hope Mika will record it in English for the album and change the production a bit so that we can have two versions of the same song. I wouldn't mind it being a bit more electronic but without his voice being distorted.

Oh yes..!! I hope it too...!! I wanna it..!:boing:

I´m not into costumes and stuff, but I felt dissapointed (though I must admit that musically, Benidorm was way better than Porto) and I don´t know why... Maybe it´s cause he was dressed the same way and with the same stage as I saw him twice last year? :dunno:

He´s made us to be used to theatrical shows

Not me. The first Mika show I saw he was wearing jeans and a t-shirt and the last Mika show I saw he was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. They were more memorable than many of the ones in between.

I can listen to the same song 1000 times over the course of my lifetime and love it every time. If I watch a movie more than once or twice I find it incredibly boring. I like going to the first shows on the tour because there is an excitement in not knowing what is going to happen and I do get a kick out of some of the elements of the show (I thought the astronaut landing was awesome and his first performance of Dr. John in the coat was a really good one). But afterwards it becomes a predictable pantomime and it's less interesting than watching him perform on a musical level and just interacting with the audience.

If these were really spectacular shows with choreographed dancing, pyrotechnics and all of that I can see how that would appeal to some people to see over and over like you would go to Cirque du Soleil or a Broadway show. But you know, it's just Mika pretending to shoot his band. It's not something I particularly want to see the first time, muchless 20 times over.

Most of his audience is not seeing his show 20 times over so I understand why he's doing it, but Adele can sit on a stool in a black jumper and tights and keep an arena in the palm of her hand and jumping to their feet in standing ovation. So this stuff is not necessary and not expected if you have talent.

My theory is that the English lyrics work better because that was the orginial version. :teehee:

Yes I think it could be something like that. Maybe the English version was not complete but it seems too well written to have been dashed off in between his festival shows (plus he already said weeks ago that the song was in English/French).

Kick Ass was already an extra on some editions of TBWKTM (or is that what you meant?)

I can’t see why he’d need to change the lyrics. They are perfect as they are, as far as I am concerned. :dunno:

I hope he’ll record the English version and arrange it differently. There is no point in recording the same song in two different languages but equally no point depriving non-French speakers from the chance to listen to this well-written song in good quality.

Not need to change, but might change. Because he always change the lyrics :DDD (But I love the lyrics now) Not the whole song, just 1-2 lines. And maybe the music. Or it will be the same as the EMD (French)??? hmmm, I don't know. We'll see.

I don't know what it is about it, but to me it looks so contrived, so silly, and looking at him dressed in his Napoleonesque outfit just totally makes me distract from what I am listening to. I don't know if it's me, or him, but he just looks to me like he's not focusing so much on the singing either. That it's more about the theatre, and it feels a bit like a panto.

Him not focusing much on the singing has been bothering me for a while, actually. :emot-sad: I used to think that the sets and the costumes mainly functioned as the means to help him gain confidence on stage and I was (still am) fine with that in theory. I also believe that he needs an impressive set at large venues so that he can make a visual impact as well. However, I prefer it complementing the music and most importantly, I hate to think that the unrehearsed and off-tune parts are the direct consequence of him putting too much focus on the visual elements in terms of him being heavily involved in their design and not leaving enough time for things that are more crucial for a musician.

As for the costumes, i found they were perfect for the Compiegne gig & i have no problems watching the vids. Is it something i will regret not seeing live? huh no! i'm not a huge fan of the dress up part, i'm afraid. I didn't even like the sparkles on his face :roftl: I like to see Mika and the band's facial expressions without all the tralala :blush-anim-cl:

I am "all about the voice" and yes, the acoustic tour is something i regret not seeing live. :tears: My favorite one is still Little noise session. I must look at those videos every 2 or 3 weeks. That concert was all about the voice, the songs & the harmony. i loved it! :fangurl:

I am not sure if he realises how strong those acoustic shows were. All he needed to concentrate on was the music. There were some insecure parts occasionally (mainly caused by him being nervous about not being able to start a song so he consequestly couldn’t :doh:) , yet it all felt uplifting just to listen to him sing. I think the love of visual elements runs in his family. I remember his father mentioning with pride in Bristol how the next leg of Mika’s tour would be with a completely different set and I just thought ’who cares’ :dunno: ( :teehee: )

About the costumes. I would take an acoustic performance any day instead of theatrical shows. He can also do his big shows without any extra costumes, and that's why I really liked the Balaton Sound festival this year, he was mostly concentrating on performing.

Yes, it was a really good one. He didn’t look tired or nervous at all, sounded great and acted naturally like he would at a club gig. Maybe it’s because there was nothing at stake for him there.

At that point I was also wondering how he would take his new (probably more electronic) music to stage. Of course I cannot judge it without having heard his new stuff but probably it will be more futuristic visuals like Empire of the Sun does.

I don't really like change (in any way, when I have to move to another house, it takes so long till I get used to it) and I don't want Mika to change TOO hard ...

Of course, there are people who really like change and for them, this must be great!

I keep thinking about him changing his sound, too, although there is no evidence of it yet. I don’t think it would be a significant change though as he’d need to merge it into his current portfolio and ideally, they should fit together when performed live.

Not me. The first Mika show I saw he was wearing jeans and a t-shirt and the last Mika show I saw he was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. They were more memorable than many of the ones in between.

I can listen to the same song 1000 times over the course of my lifetime and love it every time. If I watch a movie more than once or twice I find it incredibly boring. I like going to the first shows on the tour because there is an excitement in not knowing what is going to happen and I do get a kick out of some of the elements of the show (I thought the astronaut landing was awesome and his first performance of Dr. John in the coat was a really good one). But afterwards it becomes a predictable pantomime and it's less interesting than watching him perform on a musical level and just interacting with the audience.

If these were really spectacular shows with choreographed dancing, pyrotechnics and all of that I can see how that would appeal to some people to see over and over like you would go to Cirque du Soleil or a Broadway show. But you know, it's just Mika pretending to shoot his band. It's not something I particularly want to see the first time, muchless 20 times over.

Most of his audience is not seeing his show 20 times over so I understand why he's doing it, but Adele can sit on a stool in a black jumper and tights and keep an arena in the palm of her hand and jumping to their feet in standing ovation. So this stuff is not necessary and not expected if you have talent.

Doctor John performance with the feather coat was never my favorites, but his first performance in Belfast was the best I saw. It was a really good one.

He is amazing live artist. He could easily do every show without any show elements and people would love it, but I guess it's important for _him_ to do that theater (and not for the audience).

The lyrics for the English version doesn't sound they are made in hurry. Some lines sound so clever (I don't speaks English that well but if I compare them to some other songs).

Kick Ass was already an extra on some editions of TBWKTM (or is that what you meant?)

yes... but even without costumes, Mika tends to do the same things at same moments... (forgetting lyrics in Toy Boy or messing notes in Grace Kelly etc.) or some dances, or things that people who had been to more than one gig are used to. I´m not saying that I don´t like it, I like it, but I´ve only been to 6 gigs... if I´d been to more than 15 maybe I would be saying something different...

And about Kick Ass, it was included in Asian remixes, wasn´t it? But not in TBWKTM cause the album was released before :aah: I´m not that keen of those remixes and I just thought that he could include the song in his next album.

He is amazing live artist. He could easily do every show without any show elements and people would love it, but I guess it's important for _him_ to do that theater (and not for the audience).

But...umm how do I put this nicely...I don't care what he wants. :teehee: It's not a party in Mika's house, it's a paid concert. I'm paying for the ticket. I don't buy things that someone else wants, I buy it because it's what I want.

Of course I don't have to buy tickets to Mika's show or go to them, but every time I say that it's not something that I want to see in a show I hear that it's what Mika wants. I don't see what that has to do with me or why what Mika wants negates my opinion about what I want to see at a gig.

And about Kick Ass, it was included in Asian remixes, wasn´t it? But not in TBWKTM cause the album was released before :aah: I´m not that keen of those remixes and I just thought that he could include the song in his next album.

It was an edition of TBWKTM. Yes it came out later, but it had all the original tracks from the album on it. It wasn't just remixes.

It was an edition of TBWKTM. Yes it came out later, but it had all the original tracks from the album on it. It wasn't just remixes.

oh... but.. I already had my TBWKTM... ok, I´m learning. I won´t buy his new album till 2015, so I´ll get all the new songs when I´ll buy it :biggrin2:

:roftl::roftl::roftl:

But...umm how do I put this nicely...I don't care what he wants. :teehee: It's not a party in Mika's house, it's a paid concert. I'm paying for the ticket. I don't buy things that someone else wants, I buy it because it's what I want.

Of course I don't have to buy tickets to Mika's show or go to them, but every time I say that it's not something that I want to see in a show I hear that it's what Mika wants. I don't see what that has to do with me or why what Mika wants negates my opinion about what I want to see at a gig.

I'm not sure he can at all realize how much people want to see acoustic shows and him concentrating on singing/performing? And I guess he kind of thinks that colorful shows are his trademark or something. I always wonder if it is even a bit difficult for him to concentrate only few things (he is easily distracted when he gets new ideas). So he keeps adding elements...

We obviously see these things very differently :teehee: I mean for me it's faschinating to see what _he_ wants to do. Even I always love his acoustic concerts most. But you (and many other people too, I'm sure) think that because you are a consumer he should listen to your opinion. I just can't think that way. Writers write what they want to write (if it is creative writing and not journalism etc.) Singer-songwriters make music and plan their shows as they want to. And I know it doesn't always go that way, writers may have publishing deals that tell them what to do, but they still should have their creative rights.

I don´t know why but I´m afraid that EMD (in its English version) won´t be on the album... I´d love it to be, even more now that we know that the french version will only be available in French countries, but I think that this song was made for Compiegne and it won´t be released. AND I´D REALLY LOVE TO BE WRONG!

Just learnt that we will get Elle Me Dit in Germany next week and not only in French Countries :thumb_yello:

oh... but.. I already had my TBWKTM... ok, I´m learning. I won´t buy his new album till 2015, so I´ll get all the new songs when I´ll buy it :biggrin2:

That's probably a good idea :lmfao:

But you (and many other people too, I'm sure) think that because you are a consumer he should listen to your opinion.

No I don't think he needs to take my advice. As long as people are spending millions of dollars to see Britney Spears do nothing but stumble around stage in a costume then there is no reason Mika can't appeal to a huge audience when he's also got some real talent to offer. I don't have to buy tickets to his shows if I don't want to.

But I reserve the right to express that I am disappointed that he has lyrics taped to the floor, sings off pitch, jumps on the piano instead of playing it, etc. and yet his costume is immaculate. I find it bizarre that I seem to be more interested in Mika's music during his performances than he is.

Mika and his image have changed a lot since he first came on the scene. Some of the changes I love, but this is not one of them.

I've tweeted Mika to ask it there is any chance that the English EMD could be released. I don't see any reason not to have it in the English speaking countries. Maybe if enough ppl tweet about it, we might get it!

yes..! We all should do that..!!

I done it..!:wink2:

That's probably a good idea :lmfao:

No I don't think he needs to take my advice. As long as people are spending millions of dollars to see Britney Spears do nothing but stumble around stage in a costume then there is no reason Mika can't appeal to a huge audience when he's also got some real talent to offer. I don't have to buy tickets to his shows if I don't want to.

But I reserve the right to express that I am disappointed that he has lyrics taped to the floor, sings off pitch, jumps on the piano instead of playing it, etc. and yet his costume is immaculate. I find it bizarre that I seem to be more interested in Mika's music during his performances than he is.

Mika and his image have changed a lot since he first came on the scene. Some of the changes I love, but this is not one of them.

i remember watching the documentary of PDP where he was talking about all he has to do, he names a bunch of things & then he said "and then there's the music" ... i thought to myself, well, i guess he didn't really name them in order of importance... but then again....

:naughty:

i remember watching the documentary of PDP where he was talking about all he has to do, he names a bunch of things & then he said "and then there's the music" ... i thought to myself, well, i guess he didn't really name them in order of importance... but then again....

:naughty:

Yes I think PDP was the beginning of the end of Mika's music taking top priority during a show. Perhaps he views it as different phases of a project. While he is writing and producing he is focusing on the music and the tour is time to focus on the theatre. It just seems like too much of a compromise to me though if you can't do them both properly at the same time.

If you look at his Glastonbury performance he had a couple of things going on - the big girls, lollipop girls, a bit of makeup on his face. But otherwise it was just about his music and the crowd obviously loved it. I know someone who went to Glastonbury that year and he thinks Mika is great because of it.

Everyone I know who dislikes Gaga thinks she is a no-talent because of all the gimmicks. And that's the problem with these elaborate sets and costumes. I think for a lot of music lovers it is viewed as a cop-out and a cover up for lack of talent.

I never thought it's a bad thing to have lyrics taped to the floor. I thought it was just a last minute decision to sing that song.

Yes I think PDP was the beginning of the end of Mika's music taking top priority during a show. Perhaps he views it as different phases of a project. While he is writing and producing he is focusing on the music and the tour is time to focus on the theatre. It just seems like too much of a compromise to me though if you can't do them both properly at the same time.

If you look at his Glastonbury performance he had a couple of things going on - the big girls, lollipop girls, a bit of makeup on his face. But otherwise it was just about his music and the crowd obviously loved it. I know someone who went to Glastonbury that year and he thinks Mika is great because of it.

Everyone I know who dislikes Gaga thinks she is a no-talent because of all the gimmicks. And that's the problem with these elaborate sets and costumes. I think for a lot of music lovers it is viewed as a cop-out and a cover up for lack of talent.

I know what you mean. I would never go to see Lady Gaga show. But I saw some of her acoustic vids and I was amazed. OMG. She has amazing voice??? And I didn't even know.

I never thought it's a bad thing to have lyrics taped to the floor. I thought it was just a last minute decision to sing that song.

I know what you mean. I would never go to see Lady Gaga show. But I saw some of her acoustic vids and I was amazed. OMG. She has amazing voice??? And I didn't even know.

In English Elle me dit, it's understandable, he was doing it to please the fans, so I am not judging on that at all.

But why is he making last minute decisions about singing songs that he is not prepared for? And what about the French version that he was forgetting because he didn't have the lyrics in front of him?

I know everyone thinks it's cute but I have been to a lot of gigs in my day. Everything from Motley Crue to Diana Ross and I have never noticed anyone unprepared to sing their own songs.

I think that's the reaction the general public will have to him if they hear songs like EMD with distorted vocals and see pictures of him dressed up like Mozart.

I've always assumed that Gaga did it for the attention and one day she will strip it down and make her real voice heard but Mika seems to be moving in the opposite direction. When I first bought a ticket to his gig I didn't even know what he really looked like (I'd only seen that LICM promo shot that doesn't look like him at all). I'm sure that was the case for many people who saw him in those days. I don't know why he wants to alienate that early audience and jeopardize his reputation as a legitimate musician, especially since those people were buying more records.

:lmfao: You daft mare! :lmao:

I am supposed to be going to bed now, you aren't supposed to excite me.

My exact thoughts when I read "I want a Mellody" ...great minds meet dear Wonkita :wub2:

Wonka, please do not post pics of Mellody's nose without her consent.

:aah::teehee:

:lmfao:

:teehee:

:mf_rosetinted:

Not so much changing the lyrics as including what I am convinced are the missing ones :naughty:

I also wondered... Why didn't mika wear a wig like the others? XD

He was worried it might make his hair fall out :mf_rosetinted:

In English Elle me dit, it's understandable, he was doing it to please the fans, so I am not judging on that at all.

exactly! So many fans were complaining about the language and stuff and so he just tried to please the people and I can`t judge him for taping the lyrics or the show or anthing.

He does what he think the right thing is and I`m pleased with the show and the music.

If he feels in the right mood to jump on the paino that is allright with me:biggrin2:

everything teather,performance and ofc first of all the music fit together like a big puzzle! I love it

I think that's the reaction the general public will have to him if they hear songs like EMD with distorted vocals and see pictures of him dressed up like Mozart.

:teehee:

I've always assumed that Gaga did it for the attention and one day she will strip it down and make her real voice heard but Mika seems to be moving in the opposite direction. When I first bought a ticket to his gig I didn't even know what he really looked like (I'd only seen that LICM promo shot that doesn't look like him at all). I'm sure that was the case for many people who saw him in those days. I don't know why he wants to alienate that early audience and jeopardize his reputation as a legitimate musician, especially since those people were buying more records.

This is a good question.:thumb_yello: Maybe he is so caught up in what he thinks is the artistic way to do his thing, the road he chooses, or...and this is not a pleasant though at all...he is just doing what he does for fun, there is no serious thought about it, he is satisfied as long as he's having fun.

Maybe he should make a really big musical? With costumes and drama, the whole thing. And lots of songs.:wub2:

Even if I personally am a little pensive about what is going to happen with his great music-talent and what kind of performances he is going to have in the future, we can't deny that he has a big audience and more and more fans are coming along. Or maybe I have missed something?:wink2: