Emily / She Tells Me - Elle Me Dit in English

Now I'd like to say (write :D) something else, that I've just noticed Mika is much more "free-spoken" than he used to be. I mean, his lyrics and the way he talk to the audience is a little bit different now. For example, he often says: f**k (and things like that). But I think so, that he was like this, but not in front of the audience, only at home. Now it is kind of cute, that he can speak this way. Before he was a little bit shy. Now, I think he's getting use to the popularity and the media.

First time I heard, he said "f**k" I was really surprised.

I hope you understand, because my English is not the best :D

He's been saying **** on stage as long as I've been going to his gigs, I'd say. :naughty:

Your English is great :thumb_yello:

I first saw Mika in March 2007 and he said Montrealers could go f*ck themselves :shocked:

The first time Mika swore for me was at Sheffield when he said something like, 'I'm on stage, in a city I've never been before, I'm twenty seven, and I'm talking to a f**king doll'. :aah:

I thought it was funny, but I turned round and my mum was scowling :aah:

:lmfao:

Is there a Mika swearing thread or should we create one???:mf_rosetinted:

But the point is that if he is singing in French I have to relate to the translations (by other people). If I can understand the language of course I have my own thoughts.

Yes, so do I, so there is no difference in our opinion. :dunno: It's just that if he speaks and sings in French I don't feel connected with what he is saying so I tend to neglect it unless the music is written in a way that the lyrics are not needed for the message to get through.

To me, EMD is not a song that works without understanding the exact words he says since he is basically almost rapping a list of complaints his mom had in some argument with him years ago. To me, listening to it in French is the same as listening to it in Russian, except that I'd understand more from the Russian version.

This is not to say that I don't like him singing in French in general. (I liked his version of La Solitude, for example.) It is not even that I don't like the song EMD itself as it is a well-written song. It's just that to me it does not work in French. I understand that it works for others and I even summed it up for those who missed discussion on that.

I want to see him doing many different things he enjoys,

Here there is a difference between us as I'd prefer to see him do things I enjoy. :teehee: I know, selfish me (:naughty:) but I am not his sister or mother to care if he is using all his opportunities to express his creative self.

I like to think him as an artist creating things and not only thinking music as a product.

yes, that's also partly what I liked about him the first time he came on the scene. However, I am a bit skeptical about him engaging a separate lyricist only to have proper French lyrics written, for example. If that came natural for him, he wouldn't have needed someone for the lyrics. Let's not forget that France is basically the only big market where he was successful last time around so he obviously wants to keep that fanbase and quite rightly so.:thumb_yello: Besides, I actually do appreciate his effort to support French language and the idea of having French pop songs in the charts...etc.. However, appreciating an effort won't make me like a song. :no:

So, to sum it up, I have mixed feelings about these new songs and Mika's approach and I tend to understand or try to understand where everyone is coming from. I really like these discussions.:original:

I use it all the time. I've seen a few people on MFC use "one" in place of "you" but it's not something I've often heard Canadians say in normal conversation. It's useful in writing though since it prevents any misunderstanding about who "you" refers to, but it's just too formal for me and sounds pretentious IMO :teehee:

:teehee:Doesn't the Queen of England say so?:naughty:

Here there is a difference between us as I'd prefer to see him do things I enjoy. :teehee: I know, selfish me (:naughty:) but I am not his sister or mother to care if he is using all his opportunities to express his creative self.

So, to sum it up, I have mixed feelings about these new songs and Mika's approach and I tend to understand or try to understand where everyone is coming from. I really like these discussions.:original:

Yes, I want him to do things _he_ enjoys. It's nothing to do with his mother or sister, it's actually quite selfish. I feel I'm someone who is observing his career, and it gives me a lot of pleasure to watch his work as an artist when he is doing things he enjoys. Personally I prefer his music acoustic and his performances as natural as possible. He has a fantastic presence on stage (can I say that in English?) even without any show elements. But he enjoys doing really colorful and theatrical shows, doesn't he? I like watching them.

Also, I like to think that one thing always leads to another. Creating one song might give him more ideas, to do more songs, maybe something really amazing. I can't always "connect" with all his songs/the lyrics. WAG is one of those songs. I never listen to the album version. But I still enjoyed the excitement when it was released. And love the acoustic version, and I especially loved the intro he did at gigs :wub2:

I like these conversations too :huglove: If I can't understand something people say I ask.

I'm listen to this song right now, and I have to say that I like this version better than the french one :naughty: I think that this version is written more with his own words, than the french one where he needed help with the lyrics.

Suzie I want Mika to do what I like as well. I think we are with the mother in the song. Of course Mika is just slamming his door and getting high and not listening to us so it doesn't matter what we want. :roftl:

I think more importantly I want Mika to do what he is good at. I would not be interested in his music if he started rapping a la Kanye West for instance. And it's not because I don't like hip hop and rap, it's because Mika would suck at it.

Call me a bad fan but I can't just like everything he does because it's him. I like Mika because of his body of work, I don't like his body of work because it's Mika. If he sings the alphabet in Arabic or writes a song like Friday or goes off to become a painter or a fashion designer I am not going to be into it. I mean great for him for doing what makes him happy but if it's not good or interesting to me I'm not going to like it :dunno:

On the matter of writing songs in French. I am not convinced that this is what he wants to do exactly.Can you say pandering? :mf_rosetinted:. A well written English version of EMD turning up right after he says that it would only work in French and several weeks after he let slip that the song was in English/French really makes me wonder.

:teehee:Doesn't the Queen of England say so?:naughty:

Hmm, yes but I think she uses it to refer to herself which is not normal :roftl:

On the matter of writing songs in French. I am not convinced that this is what he wants to do exactly.Can you say pandering? :mf_rosetinted:. A well written English version of EMD turning up right after he says that it would only work in French and several weeks after he let slip that the song was in English/French really makes me wonder.

So you think he was pressured to do the French version and this is what he wanted to do originally? That is an interesting thought. I guess we will see later which one works better (just wish we could hear a proper recording for the English version). But I can't see why he is doing songs in French if he doesn't want to do it :blink: I mean it's not exactly helping his career in English speaking countries.

And Christine, why should anyone like everything he does? I listen to only a few of his songs regularly (but I usually love every song live, because he is such a good performer).

Edited by tiibet

Suzie I want Mika to do what I like as well. I think we are with the mother in the song. Of course Mika is just slamming his door and getting high and not listening to us so it doesn't matter what we want. :roftl:

I think more importantly I want Mika to do what he is good at. I would not be interested in his music if he started rapping a la Kanye West for instance. And it's not because I don't like hip hop and rap, it's because Mika would suck at it.

Call me a bad fan but I can't just like everything he does because it's him. I like Mika because of his body of work, I don't like his body of work because it's Mika. If he sings the alphabet in Arabic or writes a song like Friday or goes off to become a painter or a fashion designer I am not going to be into it. I mean great for him for doing what makes him happy but if it's not good or interesting to me I'm not going to like it :dunno:

Hmm, yes but I think she uses it to refer to herself which is not normal :roftl:

I don´t think you´re a bad fan, I think it´s healthy way of being fan. As I´m definitely not healthy in this case, I love everything he does, because I obviously love him, like he was my family member, so even if I wanted, I couldn´t dislike something he´s doing with pleasure. :mf_rosetinted:

and about EMD.. I think he likes french, and he was happy to do EMD in french, but when i saw him singing it in English, I understood that his home are English songs. He was so much more OK with english in the song. For me. But I love french one more. :teehee:

So you think he was pressured to do the French version and this is what he wanted to do originally? That is an interesting thought. I guess we will see later which one works better (just wish we could hear a proper recording for the English version). But I can't see why he is doing songs in French if he doesn't want to do it :blink: I mean it's not exactly helping his career in English speaking countries.

I don't know what to think, I am just not entirely convinced that Mika felt the need from a creative perspective to write songs in French. That doesn't mean pressure necessarily. I think he has even said that he wanted to pay back his French fans by giving them French songs (paraphrasing here, but it was something along those lines.) IMO doing things to please his audience (no matter how willingly) is not the same thing as doing things because he wants to please himself.

And Christine, why should anyone like everything he does? I listen to only a few of his songs regularly (but I usually love every song live, because he is such a good performer).

I guess I get the sense from some of the conversations on MFC that fans think they SHOULD love all of his stuff and that's why there is so much anxiety when they discover a song that they don't like. I've heard some people say that they force themselves to listen to it, to learn to love it, etc.

Karen does nothing for me so I have not listened to it more than once. If he makes an entire album of songs like this I will be very concerned/disappointed but I don't need to love every song.

I am the same about the live songs. I enjoy almost all of them live.

As I´m definitely not healthy in this case, I love everything he does, because I obviously love him, like he was my family member, so even if I wanted, I couldn´t dislike something he´s doing with pleasure. :mf_rosetinted:

But according to EMD, even his mum tries to tell him to make different songs. :roftl:

You must be in lurvvvve. :mf_lustslow:

I don't know what to think, I am just not entirely convinced that Mika felt the need from a creative perspective to write songs in French. That doesn't mean pressure necessarily. I think he has even said that he wanted to pay back his French fans by giving them French songs (paraphrasing here, but it was something along those lines.) IMO doing things to please his audience (no matter how willingly) is not the same thing as doing things because he wants to please himself.

That's true. I mean it's nice to his fans but not actually what he enjoys to do. But I still think it's possible he genuinely wanted to try something new. Would love to hear his thoughts about the whole process (how he feels writing/singing in French compared to English).

That's true. I mean it's nice to his fans but not actually what he enjoys to do. But I still think it's possible he genuinely wanted to try something new. Would love to hear his thoughts about the whole process (how he feels writing/singing in French compared to English).

I´d love Mika to read this and react. :naughty:

MIKA if you hear me, WHY did you write EMD? :mf_rosetinted:

Would love to hear his thoughts about the whole process (how he feels writing/singing in French compared to English).

I´d love Mika to read this and react. :naughty:

MIKA if you hear me, WHY did you write EMD? :mf_rosetinted:

Yes I'd like to hear his thoughts too, but I want to hear the truth so I'm not sure that's ever going to happen. :roftl:

Yes I'd like to hear his thoughts too, but I want to hear the truth so I'm not sure that's ever going to happen. :roftl:

But why? I have heard some of his French fans saying that they rather listen to Mika singing in English than in French (because they see Mika as a UK artist even though French fans must love it that he has lived in France/loves France). I'm sure everyone prefers to hear the truth, how he thinks about this issue for real.

It's quite natural to think that writing in English is easier/more comfortable for him. But he speaks French well (that's what people say) and he seems to love France and French culture, so I loved the idea of these bonus tracks. I thought it's just something new he likes to try. And I would love to hear how difficult it was, how much help he needed and how he experienced the process. I really can't see why he couldn't tell the truth.

Edited by tiibet

If I were his mum I'd lock him up with his Russian music teacher again before his next tour to get him prepare properly. :glasses3:

I agree. I think the French songs were just something he wanted to do, and they are great. But what I love the most is that he's brave enough to try new things. A lot of performing artists would probably just stick to what they know will work for them, but Mika doesn't do that. This willingness to embrace so much more diversity, than others of his kind, is what will eventually mark him out as the most unique singer/songwriter/performer of this century. That's my opinion anyway.

I think the French songs were just something he wanted to do, and they are great. But what I love the most is that he's brave enough to try new things.

I wouldn't call singing 2 French songs a brave thing to do in France, especially since they were used to boost the slightly sluggish ticket sales to the Compiégne gig. :dunno: