Elle me Dit video out on Tuesday Aug. 16 2011

I think you are right about the mother being a bit harsher in English though, but for me it's not because of screaming but because it sounds to me like her expectations are higher in English: 'Get your ass to number one' means she wants the whole world to know and love the song while in French 'une chanson que tout le monde aime' I found that bit could mean 'everybody in the family', it doesn't have to be everybody in the world.

To me it sounds harsher because it seems like she doesn't care at all who likes the song, she just wants him to sell some damn records. :roftl:

People keep mentioning his teenage years but I am not getting a teenage boy scenario here at all. I think this is post-teen years when she's seeing all her efforts come to nothing because he's putzing around. He's not writing chewing gum jingles and singing parts at the Royal Opera House anymore. It's time for him to become a successful singer but he's writing self-indulgent songs instead of hit music and slamming his door and smoking drugs instead of listening to his mama as he did when he really was a boy. :naughty:

I have already said that I thought these versions were different and completed each other, but there are also a lot of lyrics that are literally or almost completely translated but used later or in another order.

Yes I think that's another reason there's not much guesswork required on the English lyrics, because the French lyrics act as a reinforcement of the meaning.

It is the same thing in the French version, there's nothing about a giddy family and I think that's why the video annoys me a bit.. I don't hate it but it seems a bit disconnected to the song.

I think they could have made a video with multiple people and still been connected to the song but I really don't get this goofy family concept. Even with the lovely illustration someone posted earlier I don't see most of these people related. The Fanny Ardant character especially looks like she has nothing to do with these people and doesn't seem to be acting like anyone's mother. Certainly not the kind of mother in the song who is eager to micromanage her child's life and resorts to insults and guilt tripping when her child doesn't listen.

If the family was really Tenenbaumish it might be a different story. They are dark, not goofy.

:teehee: Sorry for my long post, I'm always so much into discussions about French/English languages, and now that it's also about a Mika song..! :blush-anim-cl:

I always like your contributions. :wink2: Very insightful, especially when it's about French or France.

here i wouldn't use "coincé" to describe "stuck up"

i would say... cette fille est vraiment "stuck up" :aah:

Ha, you need to go to France for a couple of years to learn the lingo. I can't believe all the stuff I was missing on Coronation Street until I actually lived in England.

The weird thing is, you don't even notice that you're not catching in. Your brain just drops many of the odd words/phrases as if they weren't spoken. :blink:

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ha, you need to go to France for a couple of years to learn the lingo. I can't believe all the stuff I was missing on Coronation Street until I actually lived in England.

The weird thing is, you don't even notice that you're not catching in. Your brain just drops many of the odd words/phrases as if they weren't spoken. :blink:

Kind of completely irrelevent, but I was with a Canadian friend recently and I don't think you ever really realise how British (or whatever) you are until you meet a foreigner. I was saying stuff like "gutted" and "taking the piss" and using the word "d*ckhead" quite casually and they were a bit taken aback at how "foreign" I sounded despite us both speaking English :lmao:

Anyway, onto Elle Me Dit...

I've only listened to the French version but I love it. I don't hate the video. Even though he's not in it it's definitely better (in terms on concept and editing) than some of his other videos (*COUGH*blameitonthegirls*COUGH*). I know the video for Elle Me Dit is about some sort of dysfunctional family but the story doesn't exactly translate that clearly, but some of Mika's other videos make even less sense IMO :naughty:

using the word "d*ckhead" quite casually and they were a bit taken aback at how "foreign" I sounded despite us both speaking English :lmao:

There's nothing foreign about that to Canadian ears. Maybe they were just taken aback that you were so raunchy :naughty:

There's nothing foreign about that to Canadian ears. Maybe they were just taken aback that you were so raunchy :naughty:

:lmfao:

Well the kid is about 18 I think and lives in Ottawa, I think it is? Anyway he did something and I just casually went "oh you d*ckhead" and he started laughing and was like, that's a bit harsh! :roftl: and then when he went back to Canada he said to my friend "Oh they use the word "d*ckhead" really casually in England" and she said it was because it was just another word for idiot, not always used for actually insulting someone horribly. He was really surprised by it :naughty:

People keep mentioning his teenage years but I am not getting a teenage boy scenario here at all. I think this is post-teen years when she's seeing all her efforts come to nothing because he's putzing around. He's not writing chewing gum jingles and singing parts at the Royal Opera House anymore. It's time for him to become a successful singer but he's writing self-indulgent songs instead of hit music and slamming his door and smoking drugs instead of listening to his mama as he did when he really was a boy. :naughty:

Teenage years end at the age of 19 and I think this song is more about his mid- or late-teen years. I doubt it would be about any later period as by then she is likely to have found an answer to the question 'Are you stuck up are you gay’.... :dunno:

:teehee:

I think they could have made a video with multiple people and still been connected to the song but I really don't get this goofy family concept. Even with the lovely illustration someone posted earlier I don't see most of these people related. The Fanny Ardant character especially looks like she has nothing to do with these people and doesn't seem to be acting like anyone's mother. Certainly not the kind of mother in the song who is eager to micromanage her child's life and resorts to insults and guilt tripping when her child doesn't listen.

Yes, I think the concept of the video is to keep Fanny Ardant in focus. Whilst outside France Mika’s presence would probably help in case people did not know who he was, in France having a famous and well-respected French actress associated with Mika’s act is really complimentary for him. Therefore, in terms of promoting Mika’s new single in France, the video works well.

I also agree with Caz that it is also positive that the video at least looks professional: any awkwardness seems to be deliberate and only a means of artistic expression this time:teehee:

Teenage years end at the age of 19 and I think this song is more about his mid- or late-teen years. I doubt it would be about any later period as by then she is likely to have found an answer to the question 'Are you stuck up are you gay’.... :dunno:

The song explicitly says that he's almost 30. I think the stuck up/gay line is just meant to be an insult and a judgement, not a serious inquiry into the matter. :roftl:

The song explicitly says that he's almost 30. I think the stuck up/gay line is just meant to be an insult and a judgement, not a serious inquiry into the matter. :roftl:

he also says "go play with a ball, and be like other boys"... I do think he is talking about his teens...

Really? Where? I missed that. The 'had to give my life away' part?

Elle me dit, "t'as pas encore des cheveux blancs, mais t'auras bientôt 30 ans,

faudrait que tu te réveilles".

Translation:

She tells me, "you don't have white hair yet but you're almost 30, you should wake up now".

he also says "go play with a ball, and be like other boys"... I do think he is talking about his teens...

I think most of this stuff are just things he's heard his mother say. Maybe when he was a kid, maybe to one of his siblings, maybe when he was 27 years old. And maybe he exaggerated and made some (most?) of it up.

In any case I expect she'll be telling him what to do when he's 50 anyway and it will always apply. :naughty:

Translation:

She tells me, "you don't have white hair yet but you're almost 30, you should wake up now".

Is it too in the english version?? I mean, mentioning the age?

Something doesn´t fit... if he´s almost 30 why is his mother telling him "go play with a ball"?

I think most of this stuff are just things he's heard his mother say. Maybe when he was a kid, maybe to one of his siblings, maybe when he was 27 years old. And maybe he exaggerated and made some (most?) of it up.

In any case I expect she'll be telling him what to do when he's 50 anyway and it will always apply. :naughty:

I expect that too... and I expect he will be listening to her :aah:

Is it too in the english version?? I mean, mentioning the age?

No. He just asks "does she think I'm 8 years old" (implying that he is much older than 8).

Something doesn´t fit... if he´s almost 30 why is his mother telling him "go play with a ball"?

This is a man that was still riding around on a scooter at 25. :dunno:

Translation:

:doh: I thought it was something I missed in the English lyrics.

This is a man that was still riding around on a scooter at 25. :dunno:

Scooters. Are. Cool. (I'm almost 18 and I have one :wub2: )

[YOUTUBE]jx7GlRRAclI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]WjB8bewD1V8[/YOUTUBE]

:biggrin2:

oh ok :mf_rosetinted:

Scooter is this in Spain

piaggio-x7-lateral-450x304.jpg

I have one of those too :fangurl:

Final Judgement on Video:

I adore it.

My friends adore it.

My family adores it.

<goes to watch it again>

Mmmm, on itself the video is quite nice I think, but I must admit I am disappointed not to see Mika himself in it....

Goes to watch it again.

I, opposite to another reaction I read, think the beared man is rather funny:teehee:

It's what I said too...

Perfect video, but with Mika it would be more perfect :sneaky2:

Archived