Elle me Dit video out on Tuesday Aug. 16 2011

Sure, they are not !!!

That`s why I`m asking. I know Mika`s family members and don`t need any explanation on that point.

There is no direct connection because Mika didn't have much to do with this video at all so whatever relationships and situations were chosen to represent what he is talking about in the song are based on the director's imagination.

Maybe that's part of the reason why fans feel that although colourful, 'funny' and all, this video is slightly irrelevant for them. :dunno:

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is no direct connection because Mika didn't have much to do with this video at all so whatever relationships and situations were chosen to represent what he is talking about in the song are based on the director's imagination.

:blink: Do you know that for sure? And if so, how?

Maybe that's part of the reason why fans feel that although colourful, 'funny' and all, this video is slightly irrelevant for them. :dunno:

Excuse me, I am a fan and this video is not irrelevant for me. :pinkbow:

Excuse me, I am a fan and this video is not irrelevant for me. :pinkbow:

Insert 'some' before fans :wink2:. I should have added that but I thought it was obvious that everyone here merely expresses their own opinion and makes conclusions about general attitude towards certain things based on discussions here, on YT..etc. Several people expressed their reservation about the video but there were also a lot who liked it. So my comment was about those who did not think it was so relevant for them.

As for me, I don't mind it, actually but I am not a huge fan of videos in general. There are only a few I like watching.

My best friend who is totally impartial liked the video.:teehee:

I don't know what my friends locally would say as it is unlikely ever to be played here... :emot-sad: maybe if there is an English version later on... (edit: it wouldn't be the same video though :doh:) :roftl:

I must add it is likely to function well in terms of drawing people's attention. I guess people would love it here, too: they love slightly grotesque videos. :teehee:

I don't know what my friends locally would say as it is unlikely ever to be played here... :emot-sad: maybe if there is an English version later on...

I must add it is likely to function well in terms of drawing people's attention. I guess people would love it here, too.

Well I showed it to her and then asked for her opinion. She also loved the song, even though she is not really a Mika fan. Which is a good sign!

Well I showed it to her and then asked for her opinion. She also loved the song, even though she is not really a Mika fan. Which is a good sign!

yes. Well, I like the song, too, though prefer it in English.

It is a catchy and fun pop tune and doesn't have falsetto in it, which makes it less of a 'marmite' type of song. I think the video mainly disappointed (some) fans as Mika does not feature it in and they can't really relate to it. I can see it work for the general public.

yes. Well, I like the song, too, though prefer it in English.

It is a catchy and fun pop tune and doesn't have falsetto in it, which makes it less of a 'marmite' type of song. I think the video mainly disappointed (some) fans as Mika does not feature it in and they can't really relate to it. I can see it work for the general public.

I also prefer the English version as I personally feel it's more clever than the French version. Plus more people understand it and the fact that he sings "Are you stuck up are you gay?" makes me feel like he has balls. Can you imagine Bieber singing that line referring to himself?

I also prefer the English version as I personally feel it's more clever than the French version. Plus more people understand it and the fact that he sings "Are you stuck up are you gay?" makes me feel like he has balls. Can you imagine Bieber singing that line referring to himself?

:lmfao:No, I can't.

It is true the English lyrics are really outspoken and when I first heard them they made me remember why I like him in the first place. My personal favourite is the part when he describes in a picturesque way how his behaviour makes his mother react and says:

"Then she's falling on her knees Starts her praying to St. Peter":roftl:

I am not sure if the French lyrics are as well-written as the English version but should there ever be a video for the English words, I'd really like a story that goes more in line with the words of the song (i.e. Mika's story). Watching a good video of that would be just awesome :teehee:

Totally not!

Only Mika can sings something like that! That's why I like him: he's so natural even when he does this kind of things

:lmfao:No, I can't.

It is true the English lyrics are really outspoken and when I first heard them they made me remember why I like him in the first place. My personal favourite is the part when he describes in a picturesque way how his behaviour makes his mother react and says:

"Then she's falling on her knees Starts her praying to St. Peter":roftl:

I am not sure if the French lyrics are as well-written as the English version but should there ever be a video for the English words, I'd really like a story that goes more in line with the words of the song (i.e. Mika's story). Watching a good video of that would be just awesome :teehee:

I like it too!! English lyrics are more stronger than the French ones... Here I see him see much more direct, much more determined!

It's as if he wanted to point out some concepts, sketched in the French version, like the reaction of the mother.

Sincerely, I'd be curious to see if the video for the English version would be the same as that for the French version. I think that it would be more cruel :naughty:

I've been watching the vid again and again this week and everytime I feel as if I was watching my favorite French comedy from the 60s or 70s. Honestly it reminds me so much of a mini film and not just because Fanny Ardant is in it. Btw Fanny is such an amazing actress. All the characters that appear in the video are really interesting and what can I say about the old man, he absolutely rocks:biggrin2:

I think this vid fits the song perfectly, really love it and really love the introduction videos as well:wub2:

it's good to know that Arjan likes it, t4p:thumb_yello:

:thumb_yello: I agree, interesting .... more watch the video the more I like it :biggrin2: absolutely delicious :mf_lustslow:

i find the french lyrics as powerful as the english ones.

perhaps the quirkiness/cleverness were lost in the translation we did

I think that's what happened, because I have heard many other native French speakers commenting the lyrics in the same way. It is very difficult to translate tones. Also, the French version is working really well (it's very high on French charts) so I believe the lyrics are as good/clever as the English ones.

For me the French version sounds more like a story (of course, because I only know it translated), and the English version sounds like Mika singing about himself, the image is really strong, so they are like two different songs. That's why I like the video, it supports the song (at least it works for me), but the English lyrics are so clever, can't wait to hear the version properly recorded :boing:

For me the French version sounds more like a story (of course, because I only know it translated), and the English version sounds like Mika singing about himself, the image is really strong, so they are like two different songs. That's why I like the video, it supports the song (at least it works for me), but the English lyrics are so clever, can't wait to hear the version properly recorded :boing:

Totally agree with you!!!

I like it too!! English lyrics are more stronger than the French ones... Here I see him see much more direct, much more determined!

It's as if he wanted to point out some concepts, sketched in the French version, like the reaction of the mother.

Sincerely, I'd be curious to see if the video for the English version would be the same as that for the French version. I think that it would be more cruel :naughty:

Your posts have just reminded me what it is that I am missing in the video. :doh:

The director put the mother in focus, the rest of the characters all have subordinate roles: they are simply there to support a strong character and make her shine. That is her interpretation of it - not sure if she ever read the English lyrics. My interpretation based on the English version is that the story is about the boy and the mother only, told from the boy’s point of view, and not so much about a ’giddy family’ the mother is controlling. I can’t recall many directors who have managed to give back Mika’s quirkiness in videos so far and this one is no exception. However, it did not even try to as ’Mika’ is missing from the storyboard.

So now I realise that the reason the video has not really made a big impression on me is that it was not just a colourful and funny video I expected but one that would convey the same strong message I heard in the English lyrics. Maybe if I hadn’t heard those and would be in dark about the exact words to the song because I don’t speak French, I’d love it. I don’t hate it though, it is just not interesting enough for me.

Your posts have just reminded me what it is that I am missing in the video. :doh:

The director put the mother in focus, the rest of the characters all have subordinate roles: they are simply there to support a strong character and make her shine. That is her interpretation of it - not sure if she ever read the English lyrics. My interpretation based on the English version is that the story is about the boy and the mother only, told from the boy’s point of view, and not so much about a ’giddy family’ the mother is controlling. I can’t recall many directors who have managed to give back Mika’s quirkiness in videos so far and this one is no exception. However, it did not even try to as ’Mika’ is missing from the storyboard.

I realise now that the reason the video has not really made a big impression on me is that it was not just a colourful and funny video I expected but one that would convey the same strong message I heard in the English lyrics. Maybe if I hadn’t heard those and would be in dark about the exact words to the song because I don’t speak French, I’d love it. I don’t hate it though, I just not interesting enough for me.

If he brings out the English version he would need another video though, as the characters are all lip-syncing to the french lyrics. But I'd be perfectly happy with a vid of Mika singing the song on stage. I think that would be really great!

If he brings out the English version he would need another video though, as the characters are all lip-syncing to the french lyrics. But I'd be perfectly happy with a vid of Mika singing the song on stage. I think that would be really great!

Yes. Where was Andy when he sang the English version?? :mf_rosetinted:

I don't think it is quirky/clever that is different. The French version doesn't seem to be as harsh and it seems to be a bit vaguer on what she is upset about.

Is it really just a translation issue? Is she "screaming" at him in the French version? Screaming is pretty harsh. Dropping to her knees to pray to St. Peter, screaming to the point of incoherence - it sounds like the mother is going completely apesh*t to me. :roftl: Are you getting that from the French version? What I get from the French version is that she is just nagging him. It is WAY beyond nagging in the English version.

I don't think it is quirky/clever that is different. The French version doesn't seem to be as harsh and it seems to be a bit vaguer on what she is upset about.

Is it really just a translation issue? Is she "screaming" at him in the French version? Screaming is pretty harsh. Dropping to her knees to pray to St. Peter, screaming to the point of incoherence - it sounds like the mother is going completely apesh*t to me. :roftl: Are you getting that from the French version? What I get from the French version is that she is just nagging him. It is WAY beyond nagging in the English version.

no, he doesn't say that... it wouldn't sound right in french :naughty:

but have you google translated "foutre en l'air" ? :teehee::naughty:

Yes, that is probably the real sentiment behind "are you stuck up". :lmfao: Remember when he was promoting LICM and he kept saying GK was a "stick you" song. :naughty:

well, i think "are you stuck up" would be the "es-tu coincé" equivalent though

i'm glad he didn't translate the song word for word, but chose expressions that are valid in both languages :naughty:

Archived