"The Origin of Love" - the pieces of a puzzle

nenartus

Apparently Mika is collaborating with my favourite record shop because they seem to be releasing OOL on the 14th of September instead of the 17th. I refuse to believe this is an error on their website. :mikacool:

I noticed it too :naughty: I ordered mine, they promise to send it day before the releasing day so this is the fastest way to have it anyway.

I noticed it too :naughty: I ordered mine, they promise to send it day before the releasing day so this is the fastest way to have it anyway.

Levykauppa X? :teehee: Did you order the 2CD version?

I just sent them an e-mail asking about the tracklists and the release date, I hope they'll reply to me. I'm really curious about what version they're selling.

Levykauppa X? :teehee: Did you order the 2CD version?

I just sent them an e-mail asking about the tracklists and the release date, I hope they'll reply to me. I'm really curious about what version they're selling.

Yes, and I ordered 2CD version. I assumed it's the UK version, because it was the only 2CD version they had. Hm, please let me know their answer!

Yes, and I ordered 2CD version. I assumed it's the UK version, because it was the only 2CD version they had. Hm, please let me know their answer!

I think it's the UK version too, but then again cdon.com is selling both the UK and French versions in addition to the basic one. I'm also not sure about the release date if the version Levykauppa X is selling is the UK one. :dunno:

I'll message you once they've replied to me - hopefully that will be soon. :thumb_yello:

There's always that possibility:mf_rosetinted:

Let's just hope it never happens. :mf_rosetinted: But if it does, at least we are saving a few quid on tour tickets, merchandise, and saving time that wouldn't be spent fangurling. :mf_rosetinted:

THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN :lmfao:

I honestly have no idea. I haven't been looking very closely into this and in all honesty I'm so confused at the moment I think I'll just order the first one I can get easily, which would be one from a local record shop. :naughty:

I wish I had a local record shop, but I don't so I'll just have to wait and see if you will be able to buy the deluxe version on cdon.com and if you don't then I have to order from mikasounds.com, unfortunately. :teehee:

I think it's the UK version too, but then again cdon.com is selling both the UK and French versions in addition to the basic one.I'm also not sure about the release date if the version Levykauppa X is selling is the UK one. :dunno:

I'll message you once they've replied to me - hopefully that will be soon. :thumb_yello:

They do? Where did you find that? :shocked:

I wish I had a local record shop, but I don't so I'll just have to wait and see if you will be able to buy the deluxe version on cdon.com and if you don't then I have to order from mikasounds.com, unfortunately. :teehee:

They do? Where did you find that? :shocked:

Don't they have it on the Swedish cdon.com? :blink: Here are the links to the French and UK ones but the site is in Finnish.

French deluxe edition:

http://cdon.fi/musiikki/mika/origin_of_love_-french-_%5Bimport%5D-21225290

UK deluxe edition:

http://cdon.fi/musiikki/mika/origin_of_love_-deluxe-_%5Bimport%5D-21225221

EDIT: I just checked, they have both of these versions on the Swedish site too. :thumb_yello:

Edited by flyingkites

Don't they have it on the Swedish cdon.com? :blink: Here are the links to the French and UK ones but the site is in Finnish.

French deluxe edition:

UK deluxe edition:

EDIT: I just checked, they have both of these versions on the Swedish site too. :thumb_yello:

They do? But why didn't I find them? :blink: Aha now I know, you have to search for 'origin of love' not 'the origin of love' :doh:

:shocked::jawdrop: those tracklistings makes me want BOTH deluxe editions!!! :roll1:

French deluxe edition:

UK deluxe edition:

:shocked::jawdrop: those tracklistings makes me want BOTH deluxe editions!!! :roll1:

I know, I'm doomed -- I'll be buying multiple versions of this for sure!

So, Cris -- will we see you in NYC in October? :crossed:

French deluxe edition:

UK deluxe edition:

I don't like the French cd much. :-(

I don't want the remixes. I want the acoustic songs!

I guess I will have to find the UK version somewhere...

I don't like the French cd much. :-(

I don't want the remixes. I want the acoustic songs!

I guess I will have to find the UK version somewhere...

Indeed. I can't believe I'm stuck with it and I don't even live in France. I would rather have the acoustic songs than Karen and BIOTW as well and don't hold out much hope for the third French song either. Elle Me Dit was great because it is essentially an English pop song with French lyrics but the other songs are old fashioned and boring IMO. I don't think they are going to appeal to Canadians whether they are francophone or not and it would be better to have the acoustic songs so people get a better sense of what he sounds like live.

Just wonder does anyone know why Popular have different names?

Popular (I Know About...)

Popular Song

:dunno:

I've been wondering about this too. I guess we'll have to wait until we hear the different versions but I doubt they have differences - they already have so many deluxe versions it wouldn't make much sense to change one of the songs on the actual record. Or maybe it would, what do I know, we're talking about Mika here... :aah:

I'm definitely going to get the UK version, seeing as it's the one my local shop is selling. After I e-mailed them they got the French edition too but I'm more interested in the acoustic songs on the UK one. It would've been a lot easier for all if he had just made that hardcore fan edition like people have suggested. :sneaky2::naughty:

Indeed. I can't believe I'm stuck with it and I don't even live in France. I would rather have the acoustic songs than Karen and BIOTW as well and don't hold out much hope for the third French song either. Elle Me Dit was great because it is essentially an English pop song with French lyrics but the other songs are old fashioned and boring IMO. I don't think they are going to appeal to Canadians whether they are francophone or not and it would be better to have the acoustic songs so people get a better sense of what he sounds like live.

I will reserve my judgement on Mika's songs in French until I hear the album's version but something catched my attention. When you said EMD souns good because it's an English pop sing with French lyrics... Don't you think tgere could be good French-speaking pop songs? Because I certainly know some examples:thumb_yello:

Also, knowing what is playing on radio and selling records in Quebec, I would not assume that the other french Mika sings will go unnoticed here.

That being said, I want the acoustic versions as well!

When you said EMD souns good because it's an English pop sing with French lyrics... Don't you think tgere could be good French-speaking pop songs? Because I certainly know some examples:thumb_yello:

Sorry I'm probably not explaining myself very well. We had a conversation awhile ago and I think it was Camille who was speaking about how in traditional French songs the melody just kind of follows the lyrics. That's not how pop songs are constructed. EMD is a proper contemporary pop song. It reminds me of Barenaked Ladies actually. It's a lot like One Week and their on stage improvs. Yelle is the same and I love her stuff too so it's not about the language but the style of music.

I don't like BIOTW. I hope it improves with some French lyrics (so I can't hear how awful they are :aah:) but I still don't think it's a song that belongs on an album with Make You Happy and Celebrate. The fact that they're throwing it on a deluxe CD with some club mixes of these songs is even more absurd.

I have no idea what is going on in the charts in Quebec but someone mentioned to me the other day that Karen didn't get much of a reaction at the festival and I felt the same. I guess we'll see.

That being said, I want the acoustic versions as well!

Yes I guess I'm just going to have to wait and buy the album when I go to the states. I'm not buying two for no reason. :huh:

Sorry I'm probably not explaining myself very well. We had a conversation awhile ago and I think it was Camille who was speaking about how in traditional French songs the melody just kind of follows the lyrics. That's not how pop songs are constructed. EMD is a proper contemporary pop song. It reminds me of Barenaked Ladies actually. It's a lot like One Week and their on stage improvs. Yelle is the same and I love her stuff too so it's not about the language but the style of music.

I don't like BIOTW. I hope it improves with some French lyrics (so I can't hear how awful they are :aah:) but I still don't think it's a song that belongs on an album with Make You Happy and Celebrate. The fact that they're throwing it on a deluxe CD with some club mixes of these songs is even more absurd.

I have no idea what is going on in the charts in Quebec but someone mentioned to me the other day that Karen didn't get much of a reaction at the festival and I felt the same. I guess we'll see.

Yes I guess I'm just going to have to wait and buy the album when I go to the states. I'm not buying two for no reason. :huh:

Can't tell you about Karen at the festival because that's the moment my girl decided her front row experience was over?

Of course. EMD is not a traditional French song... In the traditional France way, but it is in line with some good pop Quebec-based french singwriter... Hence why it was so popular here.

When you said EMD souns good because it's an English pop sing with French lyrics... Don't you think tgere could be good French-speaking pop songs? Because I certainly know some examples:thumb_yello:

You asked Christine but let me answer :teehee:

I think she meant that EMD is not a French song but an 'Anglo-Saxon' one in terms of the structure that does not derive from French chanson tradition or any other genre that would be specific to the French language/ culture. It is more the style of LMFAO if you as me - see that MTV song for reference. True the speaking part is rather monotone and in that way, follows French speech but it still sounds like an 'English' song sung in French.

In Karen you can hear the lyric-driven French chanson as a reference /influence in the verses but not in the 'chorus' , which makes it more of a mix and leaves me with mixed feelings due to other reasons as well but he may have (hopefully) changed it. The live version this summer already sounded way better as now it has a touch of lightness added to it.

There's the traditional French songs, which would probably take some getting used to for people that hear something like that for the first time. Personally I adore them, but I grew up listening to Jacques Brel and always loved that kind of music. I doubt the traditional French songs are high in the French charts though. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't follow the French charts, but if I listen to the French stuff they play at NRJ and the likes, it sounds the same as the English pop songs, except that they happen to be in French.

I think I'm going to get the french version because I really like Karen, and I can just listen to the english version on spotify, FOR FREE!

Let's just hope they actually upload the deluxe version. :naughty:

I'm buying the UK version. I want Mika to be number 1 in the UK again. That's not going to happen if we listen for free.

I can buy other versions later.

Of course. EMD is not a traditional French song... In the traditional France way, but it is in line with some good pop Quebec-based french singwriter... Hence why it was so popular here.

Yes I think Quebec has its own culture and it's not a mini-France which is why I don't think the Canadian market should be treated as if we're France. Toronto is not England either and I think the majority of Canadians are more North American when it comes to pop culture (TV shows, music, etc.) than European. I love England, its culture, its music, its TV, its movies. But I'm still a North American and we are much more heavily influenced by the US and what is homegrown.

There's the traditional French songs, which would probably take some getting used to for people that hear something like that for the first time.

It's not that I'm not used to it, it's that it's not contemporary pop music and pop music is what appeals to me about Mika. We have this same discussion about Mika's shows being theatrical. I love theatre. I was obsessed with musical theatre in particular when I was 12 or 13. But if I want to see theatre I go to the theatre. When I go to a concert I expect music to be the sole focus.

I think Mika makes amazing contemporary pop songs and that's why I buy his albums. I don't buy a pop album to hear a few random songs influenced by traditional French songs thrown in because I happen to live in a country with a francophone population and some marketing person thinks that's going to sell more albums here.

It's not that I'm not used to it, it's that it's not contemporary pop music and pop music is what appeals to me about Mika. We have this same discussion about Mika's shows being theatrical. I love theatre. I was obsessed with musical theatre in particular when I was 12 or 13. But if I want to see theatre I go to the theatre. When I go to a concert I expect music to be the sole focus.

I think Mika makes amazing contemporary pop songs and that's why I buy his albums. I don't buy a pop album to hear a few random songs influenced by traditional French songs thrown in because I happen to live in a country with a francophone population and some marketing person thinks that's going to sell more albums here.

I could do without the artwork, to be honest. But I'm afraid we have picked a pop star with an overly creative mind, which is not suitable for focusing on any one thing. :yay: