Oh god... I'm sorry but while some people don't like others to moan about Mika's new style, I think everybody has the right to have an opinion. I have the impression that some people luuuuuuv the new songs just because they're Mika's. Well those have to accept the fact that others just don't like the songs.

Of course it's normal for an artist to evolve and of course I didn't expect Mika to stick to the same stuff forever - I'm not so naive. Yet, there's a reason why I loved the old Mika and his art. And now, well, I don't see the things I used to love any more. And it's not about the colourful, teenage stuff :wink2: (although I have to admit I love this aspect).

As for the "Mikaish" aspect of it all, who are we to judge whether his new music is Mikaish or not? I mean, only Mika knows himself. That's not the point. I guess there's the "old Mikaish" and "new Mikaish" now :aah:

Oh and by the way, it's not just the 2 new songs. I don't like those we got from live gigs either ("Underwater" and the Karen one, I think?). I just didn't want to express my opinion yet, because live versions are a bit crappy, quality-wise. But of course, I'll buy the new album and give my final opinion once I've listened to all the songs a couple of times ^^

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem with change, just that mika seems to be changing to try to be normal. He isn't normal, which is amazing , so he shouldn't try. It just feels at the moment like he's trying too hard.

Personally, I like(d) the crazy, hyperactive and falsetto mika, although I can see why some people say he needs to move on a bit. He could have done it more gradually though. :mikadas:

Yet, there's a reason why I loved the old Mika and his art. And now, well, I don't see the things I used to love any more.

I like the songs but I understand how you feel because that's how I feel about Mika focusing on France and singing French songs. It's not what I signed up for.

I can see why some people say he needs to move on a bit. He could have done it more gradually though. :mikadas:

It's been 3 years since he made his other style of songs. That's half of his career. I'm not sure how much more gradually he can move to a new sound. He'll be at least 32 by the time his next album comes out. :aah:

I'm not worried. Maybe I'm a tad disappointed, but even I still feel attached to Mika's music, I think he can go where ever he like with his sound and looks, and we'll see where it takes him and his fans.

Change is good, change is normal, change is healthy.

However, sometimes change is not for the better.....unfortunately I find his new songs bland and boring, life- and meaningless.

I really really wanted to like his new songs.

I was hoping and waiting for some interesting turn in the song whilst listening to "Celebrate", but nothing......

The second time I listened to "Celebrate", I had to force myself to listen til the end, and I managed just because it is Mika singing it.

If it had been a song by anyone else, I would have switched off halfway through. (Which I actually did with his other new song, of which I already forgot the title).

I don't mind the fact that the new songs are more electronic.

In every music style there are great songs, but I did not expect such blandness from Mika.

Same goes for the new website: bland and boring.

If I had known that his old website would disappear, I would have taken another thorough look at it......oh what a shame.

[...] I find his new songs bland and boring, life- and meaningless.

[...]

The second time I listened to "Celebrate", I had to force myself to listen til the end, and I managed just because it is Mika singing it.

[...] I did not expect such blandness from Mika.

[...]

I find it all quite boring too. And like you, I had to force myself to listen to "Celebrate"... But that's my opinion ^^

Hey guys!

It's been a while since i've posted!

I am becoming very worried about Mika and his new look and sound. I love his new music and I am so looking forward to the new album, however i'm afraid that he will lose his look and sound! I went to his website for the first time in a long time today and I thought to myself "What the hell is this? What happened to the old Mikasounds?" Mika seems to be replacing his playful, eccentric image with a plain, techno image that every other artist on the radio has. Is anybody else as worried as I am?! I want the old Mika back!

Personally I wish he hadn't chosen Celebrate as the first single. Underwater would have been a better choice imho. It showcases Mika's beautiful voice better and is a grown-up, romantic song.

For me, the trouble with Celebrate is that it's just a formulaic pop song with no depth in the lyrics. It starts out promissingly enough, but half way through too much is going on and the melody is lost. Then the chorus is far too repetetive for me and reminds me of that annoying pop song Rihanna sang. "Umberella...ella...ella". However, that song was #1 in Britain for weeks, so maybe Mika's song will be popular. Let's hope so.

But I don't think Mika is to blame for the song being a single, or for it not being released over here yet. I think, maybe, the record company are waiting to see how the song does in France.

All we can really do, is wait and see how things progress. I'm looking forward to seeing all the new vids from the gigs, so I am excited atm.

Oh god... I'm sorry but while some people don't like others to moan about Mika's new style, I think everybody has the right to have an opinion. I have the impression that some people luuuuuuv the new songs just because they're Mika's. Well those have to accept the fact that others just don't like the songs.

I totally agree with you -- everyone has the right to their own opinion,

and the right to express it here, as long as they follow our guidelines :)

(that is, no name-calling or bad language, etc.)

I happen to like the two new songs that we've heard so far this week, and

I'm more than curious to hear the rest of the new album. So I'm not worried

or disappointed... I just want to hear the whole thing before I say whether

I'm going to write Mika off. :naughty:

yeah it's a good idea that we just wait for the gigs, cos although his songs changed, maybe the way he performs like wearing dolls, planets, balloons, hats and stuffs hasn't change....perhaps? let's hope so.....yeah and i think he's trying too hard to be normal....he can always be himself and that's why we love him. but the most important thing is he has to be sure that he's comfortable and happy with the changes. as a fan, i'm happy is he's happy, and for myself, i do not adore him just for his music, but also his personality. For me his personality hasn't change, so i don't mind. I HOPE IT WON'T:pray:

and since the songs are typical, so i guess the market will like it.

I also don't mind that Mika has been focusing on releasing some songs in France first, because maybe he just trusts the media and the public there, that they're going to like it. which is true.

I totally agree with you -- everyone has the right to their own opinion,

and the right to express it here, as long as they follow our guidelines :)

(that is, no name-calling or bad language, etc.)

I happen to like the two new songs that we've heard so far this week, and

I'm more than curious to hear the rest of the new album. So I'm not worried

or disappointed... I just want to hear the whole thing before I say whether

I'm going to write Mika off. :naughty:

Even though I don't like them, the two songs have definitively made me curious too ^^ Wait and see ^^

I listened to Celebrate a while ago again and I'm liking it better now. When I first heard it, I wasn't impressed so I only listened to it three times yesterday. But I gave it another go today, and I think I now begin to see what Mika is trying to do with the song.

I found it sounded better when I was not looking at the pictures on the vid, just concentrating on the sound. I heard it better then I think.

I think it's obvious it's Mika singing it, not someone else, so we'll see what happens when it's released here.

It´s totally normal that Mika moved on, he is grown up now and it is good. Do you really want this colourful teenager forever doing the same style of music and the same style of cloths for the rest of his life? Life is change and it is good because it would be boring if we all would stay at the same level. :wink2:

I so agree with you, Sabine.

Especially after today (I went to Lovebox). Yes, he's a bit different but the immense talent he has will always defend itself.

He's still a very young artist, he has the right to experiment. I'm sure he's never gonna lose the voice, wit and charisma and the ability to write melodious intriguing tracks. Those are the reasons I'm his fan. I'm really really excited about the new image and sound!

Especially after today (I went to Lovebox). Yes, he's a bit different but the immense talent he has will always defend itself.

He's still a very young artist, he has the right to experiment. I'm sure he's never gonna lose the voice, wit and charisma and the ability to write melodious intriguing tracks. Those are the reasons I'm his fan. I'm really really excited about the new image and sound!

Good to hear! Can't wait to seehim myself... In 2 months!

very well said! :thumb_yello:

Yes, that's why we love him :wub2::thumb_yello:

Are you coming over here or is he playing in Montreal? (I'm asking cause my friend - a huge fan is from MTL)

Yes he's playing a balloon festival outside of Montreal in August.

I agree with your comments too BTW. :wink2:

I personally think it's great that he's experimenting with his sound and what he's doing with the whole process of recording his songs. As much as I like him, I think I'd be a bit bored with the album if he did more songs like the last two albums.

I think it's worth waiting until the album is out before worrying too much about him changing his look and sound.

And for what it's worth, I think he looks smoking hot right now :das::swoon:

I'm not worried at all, so far everything seems great, and I'm looking forward to TOOL. I'm sure it will contain some typical Mika songs, it's not going to be like 12 Celebrate songs :wink2:

The only thing that's worries me is what the French journalists wrote about the song overrated:"Mika yields to the electro trend with the exhilarating 'Overrated', cut out for the clubs"

I love the demo, it's really beautiful, but it doesn't sounds like it will be the same song any more. Can't imagine Overrated to be a dance song :sad:

very well said! :thumb_yello:

I agree with you both.:wink2:

First time I listened to his new songs I wasn't impressed that much, on the contrary, but after a couple of days they just stuck in my head like some old Mika songs.

Unfortunately I won't be able to listen to him this summer, but now I'm quite calm and expect his new album in good faith and mood.

I'm sure in Mika's great artistic talent and he' gonna achieve a huge success sooner or later.:thumb_yello:

Edited by Shine

I personally think it's great that he's experimenting with his sound and what he's doing with the whole process of recording his songs. As much as I like him, I think I'd be a bit bored with the album if he did more songs like the last two albums.

I think it's worth waiting until the album is out before worrying too much about him changing his look and sound.

And for what it's worth, I think he looks smoking hot right now :das::swoon:

yes, I think something we all like about him, is that we never get bored