Mika in the French magazine Têtu

Meggy

"5 years already that the golden boy of pop - out recently - panics the charts with his hits bubblegum trend "île aux enfants" on acid. He's back with a third album eyeing towards a sounds more club, The Origin of Love. Then we take the Mika or it's too stodgy?

GLITTER AND BE GAY

5 years ago arose in the first place of the charts, Mika, a young English twig of Lebanese origin, which borrowed many musical cabaret, glitter to Elton John to Frankie Goes To Hollywood with his words way "Relax, take it easy" exchangeable against two bottles of poppers. Two albums later the prodigal twink is back with "The Origin of Love". Mika and likes to do her diva exploring the mirror ball its more colorful and pop. With its mix of disco balads , tornadoes dripping sensuality reference grandpa Elton incursions discrete Scissor Sister and the pure electro tornadoes, Mika decided to shade the greatest. Rather the greatest: Katy Perry, Adele, Rihanna, Britney, Madonna, George Michael take their grade. The whoring 2012 is masculine, you have been warned.

What is this Gloubiboulga?

One wonders to listen to the third album of Mika waited too long. The title The Origin of Love was yet promising, piano and bass slippery voice filtered and absurd texts: "Love is a drug, you're my cigarette, love is an addiction, you are my Nicorette dubbed" a "vochorale" crazy idea. Elsewhere, the album resembles the guest-list for an evening of celebrity failed: Pharrell Williams has the wrong address, Martin Solveig confirms that he is overestimated (Overrated) and country singer-pie Hillary Lindsey wrote the lyrics noodle year: "Step with Me", which promises a kiss and a wedding later. Finally, the flap Nick Littlemore (Empire of The Sun) is soft like a goiter. Single "Popular" and Priscilla Renea could save everything. The problem? Mika is still running after her first album. Alone. "

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"5 years already that the golden boy of pop - out recently - panics the charts with his hits bubblegum trend "île aux enfants" on acid. He's back with a third album eyeing towards a sounds more club, The Origin of Love. Then we take the Mika or it's too stodgy?

GLITTER AND BE GAY

5 years ago arose in the first place of the charts, Mika, a young English twig of Lebanese origin, which borrowed many musical cabaret, glitter to Elton John to Frankie Goes To Hollywood with his words way "Relax, take it easy" exchangeable against two bottles of poppers. Two albums later the prodigal twink is back with "The Origin of Love". Mika and likes to do her diva exploring the mirror ball its more colorful and pop. With its mix of disco balads , tornadoes dripping sensuality reference grandpa Elton incursions discrete Scissor Sister and the pure electro tornadoes, Mika decided to shade the greatest. Rather the greatest: Katy Perry, Adele, Rihanna, Britney, Madonna, George Michael take their grade. The whoring 2012 is masculine, you have been warned.

One wonders to listen to the third album of Mika waited too long. The title The Origin of Love was yet promising, piano and bass slippery voice filtered and absurd texts: "Love is a drug, you're my cigarette, love is an addiction, you are my Nicorette dubbed" a "vochorale" crazy idea. Elsewhere, the album resembles the guest-list for an evening of celebrity failed: Pharrell Williams has the wrong address, Martin Solveig confirms that he is overestimated (Overrated) and country singer-pie Hillary Lindsey wrote the lyrics noodle year: "Step with Me", which promises a kiss and a wedding later. Finally, the flap Nick Littlemore (Empire of The Sun) is soft like a goiter. Single "Popular" and Priscilla Renea could save everything. The problem? Mika is still running after her first album. Alone. "

:shocked::blink:

:lmfao:

WTF does that mean? How can an album sound like a guestlist? :doh:

They are referring to Mika's collaborators as C-list musicians, I guess, and hint that Mika is trying to repeat the success of the first album but they assume he won't succeed.

Iam sure it sounds funny or sarky in French but in raw translation it simply sounds lame and not even worth talking much about.

Edited by suzie

I hope my translation makes sense in English 'cause the original text sounded like a whole list of nasty cliché-remarks. I tried to do my best :')

TRANSLATION :

Mika : Pros/Cons.

It’s been already 5 years since the golden boy of the music – who just came out of the closet – made the charts crazy with his bubble-gum hits, a kind of sour “Île aux enfants” (French “symbol” : check it here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI6gbU5lo94&feature=fvwrel...could be compared to Teletubies... I guess...). He comes back with a 3rd CD (The Origin of Love) which tends to sound more like clubbing music. So, should we go for a 3rd round with Mika or is this CD just “too much” to take it?

GLITTER AND BE GAY!

5 years ago, Mika, a young skinny boy singer born in Lebanon , invaded the top of the charts. His musical world was inspired by the cabaret but also by Elton John’s glitter or even by “Frankie Goes to Hollywood” with his lyrics “Relax & Take it easy”, which you could exchange against 2 poppers bottle. 2 Cds later, the genius pretty boy is back with “The Origin of Love”. Mika has fun, he acts like a diva and explores the most “mirror ball” side of his colorful pop world. With his new mix of disco lullabies, tornados of sensuality, references of grandpa Elton, sneaky trips to the Scissor Siters’ and pure electro twisters, Mika has decided to steal the Greatest artist’ show... Wel, we’d rather say to greatest female artists: Katy Perry, Adele, Rihanna, Britney, Madonna, George Michael, which are being told off.

The bitch party 2012 is made of boys, we’ll have warned you!

WHAT’S THIS GLOUBIGOUBA (doesn’t mean anything in French either xD)?

Lots of questions came up while listening to the 3rd and too awaited CD of Mika. The song “Origin of Love” was promising though, with piano and slipping bass guitar, softened voice and absurd lyrics: “Love is a drug and you are my cigarette, love is addiction and you’re my Nicorette”, dubbled by a "vochorale" strange choir (word invented by the reporter, I think…), great idea. Beside that, the CD looks like the guest-list of a screwed jet-set party: Pharell was mistaken with the address, Martin Solveig confirms that he’s OVERRATED and the bad-country singer Hillary Lindsey can be proud of having written the most silly lyrics of the year (Step with me), with which a kiss might be expected after the wedding. Finally, Nick Littlemore (Empire of the Sun)’s touch is as spineless as jellyfish. Only “Popular” and Priscilla Renea might save the ship. The problem? Mika is still running after his CD. Alone

What a nasty piece of paper ! :sneaky2:

:shocked::blink:

Yes wow that twink comment. Interesting translation. :lmfao:

I hope my translation makes sense in English 'cause the original text sounded like a whole list of nasty cliché-remarks. I tried to do my best :')

You did a brilliant translation the other day so I know it's not you. This review is full of nonsense. :doh:

I have a particular loathing for CD reviewers because as far as I'm concerned they are obsolete and just make up rubbish (good or bad) to try to justify their own existence. In this day and age no one needs to read CD reviews. Samples of the entire album are there for people to listen to on iTunes or YouTube. I've got my own ears and my own brain. I don't need anyone else telling me what is good or bad music. It's all subjective anyway.

Yes wow that twink comment. Interesting translation. :lmfao:

You did a brilliant translation the other day so I know it's not you. This review is full of nonsense. :doh:

I have a particular loathing for CD reviewers because as far as I'm concerned they are obsolete and just make up rubbish (good or bad) to try to justify their own existence. In this day and age no one needs to read CD reviews. Samples of the entire album are there for people to listen to on iTunes or YouTube. I've got my own ears and my own brain. I don't need anyone else telling me what is good or bad music. It's all subjective anyway.

But still, I'm sorry to post such a horrible text this time. xD Stupid reporter =.=' He's pretty good at insulting people, though...

I asked my father about the references they talked about... especially "Frankie Goes to Hollywood" 'cause I had no idea what it was about and according to him, it refers to some pop groups that made their coming out in the 80's, before that, homosexuality was quite taboo in pop music (in spite of Etton John~) The lyrics were far more explicit and so on.

But still, I'm sorry to post such a horrible text this time. xD Stupid reporter =.=' He's pretty good at insulting people, though...

I asked my father about the references they talked about... especially "Frankie Goes to Hollywood" 'cause I had no idea what it was about and according to him, it refers to some pop groups that made their coming out in the 80's, before that, homosexuality was quite taboo in pop music (in spite of Etton John~) The lyrics were far more explicit and so on.

In the case of Frankie Goes To Hollywood, the videos were too :wink2:

Thanks for the translation Sephira and Kaito

I don't understand the Katy Perry, Rihanna and GM reference. What is meant by them 'told off'? Do Hoy mean them being ripped off?

In this day and age no one needs to read CD reviews. Samples of the entire album are there for people to listen to on iTunes or YouTube. I've got my own ears and my own brain. I don't need anyone else telling me what is good or bad music. It's all subjective anyway.

You may have your own thoughts but not everyone does - I have seen many examples of some people repeating or re-wording the ideas of others and presenting it as their own ...:naughty:

Anyway, the idea of a review is not to tell someone if an album is good or bad. Proper reviews analyse music and lyrics to the joy of people who understand. It' s like literary criticism. In this case, this is just an article to accompany some piece of news but with the reviewer not being able to or not willing to explain why he is using such harsh words. In theory he could even be right except that I already heard 4 great songs off this album so the reviewer not having spotted those makes me think he is just a miserable snob.

Edited by suzie

Frankie Goes to Hollywood had a huge hit called "Relax" so that always comes to mind with Mika's song, even without the gay references. :wink2:

It was still pretty taboo in North America and I was talking to an MFCer a couple of years ago about the video and she mentioned how racy and shocking it was at the time. I didn't know what she was talking about until I went to YouTube and saw a version that I'd never seen before. :shocked: They had a special video made for North America and I had no idea the other one existed. :naughty:

Elton John was married to a woman at that time so he wasn't exactly out of the closet himself.

"

GLITTER AND BE GAY

the prodigal twink is back with "The Origin of Love".

the genius pretty boy is back with “The Origin of Love”.

The bitch party 2012 is made of boys, we’ll have warned you!

well there's one for the books...:naughty:

so it's 2 reviewers reviewing the same CD - one thinks mika is a genius twink looking to overthrow ladygaga and the other thinks mika is LICM chasing (rather than joy chasing) :aah:

the former is a meh review with some funny phrases while the latter sounds like a bitter bitter (wo)man

Proper reviews analyse music and lyrics to the joy of people who understand. It' s like literary criticism.

When does that ever happen though? Whether it is positive or negative it always comes off sounding like a bunch of nonsense. Just a huge string of adjectives that tell you nothing about how it sounds. I don't see what the point is in discussing lyrics with someone who hasn't heard the music. Lyrics are not standalone poems. The vocals and the melody, etc. affect the tone and meaning. And again it's all subjective because our experience of music is based on a lifetime of cultural influence, emotional triggers, exposure, etc.

Even Mika has a hard time conveying what is going on with his music to the outside world. But at least it is his creation so his assessment is worth something. Why do I care what some random stranger thinks about it one way or another?

Frankie Goes to Hollywood had a huge hit called "Relax" so that always comes to mind with Mika's song, even without the gay references. :wink2:

It was still pretty taboo in North America and I was talking to an MFCer a couple of years ago about the video and she mentioned how racy and shocking it was at the time. I didn't know what she was talking about until I went to YouTube and saw a version that I'd never seen before. :shocked: They had a special video made for North America and I had no idea the other one existed. :naughty:

Elton John was married to a woman at that time so he wasn't exactly out of the closet himself.

The magazine Têtu since 2007 thinks that Relax by Mika is like Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood an ode to s****y :doh:

The magazine Têtu since 2007 thinks that Relax by Mika is like Relax by Frankie Goes to Hollywood an ode to s****y :doh:

At least Frankie Goes to Hollywood's Relax is a better song than I Just Died in Your Arms Tonight. :naughty:

Thanks for the translation Sephira and Kaito

I don't understand the Katy Perry, Rihanna and GM reference. What is meant by them 'told off'? Do Hoy mean them being ripped off?

It sounded weird as well in French...'Cause the meaning of "s'en prendre pour son grade" is realling "being told off"..

The reporter used a nasty tone all along so, I was afraid to miss something. I assumed that it was the same as when he said "Mika wants to steal their show"... Something like "Beware, Mika could steal you your audience !" xD

Thanks for the explanations about Elton & JGTH :) I didn't have internet when I finished the translation so I couldn't check it online x)

I don't mind reading music reviews... But I don't need them either. I usually pick carefully the reviews I read, I know who are the reporters that might share my music tastes (which aren't sooo.. logical xD).

@Christine one does not need to care what others write but there are or can be factual parts in criticism. if they get it wrong you know they don't understand the genre or some basic concepts in connection with what they are supposed to write about. There are few reviews that are of good standard (no matter if they are 'positive' or 'negative' ) and I actually like reading those. There may be some on Mika' new album as well.

well there's one for the books...:naughty:

so it's 2 reviewers reviewing the same CD - one thinks mika is a genius twink looking to overthrow ladygaga and the other thinks mika is LICM chasing (rather than joy chasing) :aah:

the former is a meh review with some funny phrases while the latter sounds like a bitter bitter (wo)man

I tried to be faithful to the wickedness of the text :mf_rosetinted: The critic has even invented a word "pétasserie" in french is "putassier" a terme use to say that something is sensationalist and unworthy.

@nas @Kaito so the first review {above which the elevator is going up) claims that with the new album influenced by EJ and SS Mika is claiming the imaginary crown of pop's 'queens' like Katy Perry, Rihanna, Lady Gaga and...George Michael ? :roftl:

I think that's what they mean :teehee:

I tried to be faithful to the wickedness of the text :mf_rosetinted: The critic has even invented a word "pétasserie" in french is "putassier" a terme use to say that something is sensationalist and unworthy.

@nas @Kaito so the first review {above which the elevator is going up) claims that with the new album influenced by EJ and SS Mika is claiming the imaginary crown of pop's 'queens' like Katy Perry, Rihanna, Lady Gaga and...George Michael ? :roftl:

I think that's what they mean :teehee:

Yes that's what they mean, and at the end of this first review they say that 'la pétasserie' which I would translate as 'slutiness' if this word even exists, they say this year slutiness is masculine :blink:

"Twink"- from wikipedia: "Twink" is a gay slang term describing a young or young-looking gay man (18–23 age category) with a slender, ectomorph build, little or no body hair, and no facial hair. [4][5] Someone older than 23 with similar looks and build is said to be "twinkish." In some societies, the term chick or chicken is preferred."

......he's 29 :shun: