US Dancing with the Stars - October 21, 2013

dcdeb

Thanks for posting the video!

I have to say however that I don't particularly enjoy his performances with Ariana. That's mainly because I don't like her voice and her way of singing, and because everything sounds too 'glossy' to me, if you know what I mean. I love Popular Song with Priscilla because it has a deep meaning conveyed in a very ironical and 'caustic' way, not only in the lyrics but also in the way they both sing.

When Mika sings it live I love it because he 'plays' with the song, he can balance and convey through his performance both the seriousness and the irony, and the song sounds very 'true' to me, it has a strong 'grip' (not sure if it is the right word but you get my point) ;)

With Ariana the performance is good, enjoyable, indeed very cute, but it doesn't sound nearly as interesting to me.

There's no one to blame, it is not due to any objective mistakes, it is just my subjective impression, since I don't like their recorded version either. ;)

Having said that, one can't certainly deny that the performance was good and cute, and really enjoyable 'as a whole'. :) and I'm happy if this gets a wider American audience to know him better, so that's good! (And basically the whole point of the collaboration, as someone pointed out) :)

i agree! i enjoyed it for what it was, but ofc i'd much rather have him sing alone. Sadly i don't see that happening in the US anytime soon, so i take what i can get and try to block her out :teehee:

So......... am i the only one who wasn't a huge fan of his hair? styled this way it seems to be bordering on... uh.... mulletness :fisch:i think he needs to dumps his LA hairstylist ASAP :naughty:

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree! i enjoyed it for what it was, but ofc i'd much rather have him sing alone. Sadly i don't see that happening in the US anytime soon, so i take what i can get and try to block her out :teehee:

So......... am i the only one who wasn't a huge fan of his hair? styled this way it seems to be bordering on... uh.... mulletness :fisch:i think he needs to dumps his LA hairstylist ASAP :naughty:

I didn't like that hair style, I prefer the one from Radio Deejay, it reminded me the Mika of 2009 and also loved that Mika with straight and short hair in Paul de Leeuw shows or track by track vids :wub2:

I didn't like that hair style, I prefer the one from Radio Deejay, it reminded me the Mika of 2009 and also loved that Mika with straight and short hair in Paul de Leeuw shows or track by track vids :wub2:

me too! that's why i'm thinking its just his hairstylist in LA. i wasn't a huge fan of his hair on Leno either :teehee:

me too! that's why i'm thinking its just his hairstylist in LA. i wasn't a huge fan of his hair on Leno either :teehee:

Oh, yes and what do you think of his hair style on Kiss FM? :thumbdown: so you must be right, it's his LA hairstylist :aah:

Thanks for posting the video!

I have to say however that I don't particularly enjoy his performances with Ariana. That's mainly because I don't like her voice and her way of singing, and because everything sounds too 'glossy' to me, if you know what I mean. I love Popular Song with Priscilla because it has a deep meaning conveyed in a very ironical and 'caustic' way, not only in the lyrics but also in the way they both sing.

When Mika sings it live I love it because he 'plays' with the song, he can balance and convey through his performance both the seriousness and the irony, and the song sounds very 'true' to me, it has a strong 'grip' (not sure if it is the right word but you get my point) ;)

With Ariana the performance is good, enjoyable, indeed very cute, but it doesn't sound nearly as interesting to me.

There's no one to blame, it is not due to any objective mistakes, it is just my subjective impression, since I don't like their recorded version either. ;)

Having said that, one can't certainly deny that the performance was good and cute, and really enjoyable 'as a whole'. :) and I'm happy if this gets a wider American audience to know him better, so that's good! (And basically the whole point of the collaboration, as someone pointed out) :)

Yes, this is much how I think too. Ariana's voice or singing style are not my personal taste but I try to see this a good way for Mika to promote himself in the US and they both did well/gave a positive image and he can be very pleased with the performance (and the sound was much better than last time, wasn't it). And of course I think she is cute. I think kittens are cute too, and I'm a dog person.

There seemed to be so much product in his hair that it looked fake, almost like a wig. I prefer to see his hair move.

tumblr_muf5leNwlQ1svr6u9o1_250.gif

For the performance, i really liked his hair. Just like i did when he did Star Académie in Montreal.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=mika+star+academie+montreal&rlz=1C1FLDB_enCA515CA515&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=36BmUsHpC6WbygGI7YCQCw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1497&bih=917#facrc=_&imgdii=M3wCJ4tYRHH_cM%3A%3Bx0hXHSNU1DlmOM%3BM3wCJ4tYRHH_cM%3A&imgrc=M3wCJ4tYRHH_cM%3A%3B_9UA7ZS7lwv9iM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252F3.bp.blogspot.com%252F-HmfTpFe78I8%252FT3c3B228cuI%252FAAAAAAAABUk%252FWkav_VvS9ZI%252Fs1600%252Fstaracfinale_tm_38%252Bcopy.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Ftzaramaud.blogspot.com%252F2012_03_01_archive.html%3B943%3B595

i think it's playful... just like the cute little ears Ariana has on her head. His hair was nothing like a mullet! it was more à la 1960s aka John Travolta... Christine mentioned the proper name for it last night... i can't remember :teehee:

Mellody, i'm so surprised you didn't like her tiny little ears :shocked:

You are known to like to dress up for concerts!

I think the ears were cute & perfectly suited for her age & considering that Halloween is a few days away... Lots of people will have their parties & costumes this weekend.

I would only dress up if Mika was playing a gig around Halloween & no other time of the year. :naughty:

Gawd who cares that much about his hair, seriously. It's not as if he isn't going to change it tomorrow and the next day and the day after that. And prepare yourselves ladies but one day he is going to be old and not have thick brown curls at all and you are going to be crying over the loss of his beautiful mullet. :naughty:

On the question of which is worse - that is a no brainer to me. This is not the best song that Mika has ever made. Its strongest element is the melody of the chorus which he didn't write. And I'm sure he's not responsible for Priscilla's awesome and sassy rap, which he doesn't match anymore than he matches Ariana's vocal runs. But at least he was part of the creative process, the theme is a personal one and he is performing - which is more than can be said for judging on a TV show. Even a beer commercial is better than that.

Totally agree,it was like a flat acting,nothing to do with his genuine performance on his shows,like "let's do it quickly,coz' we have to" :aah: Yes,it was cute,I liked her cat ears because I love cats,but I feel like something is missing......

No,you're not alone :aah:

Gawd who cares that much about his hair, seriously. It's not as if he isn't going to change it tomorrow and the next day and the day after that. And prepare yourselves ladies but one day he is going to be old and not have thick brown curls at all and you are going to be crying over the loss of his beautiful mullet. :naughty:

Yes, I do like some of his other hair styles better than last night's, but he did an amazing performance, and that's is what really matters...

yes, I agree.

I don't know what's worse between him being a judge in a talent show or singing in a fake duet with a singer coming directly from the seven dwarfs of Snowwhite. Both are so unnatural for me, when I think about the performer he is.

I know what's worse,from my point of view....at least he doesn't need to fake acting at XF,he is true and sincere on every decision he takes.And if he is acting,then he is doing it amazingly good :rolls_eyes:

As much as I was happy to see Mika performing and moreover knowing it was aired in the US, this show didn't do much for me. It's technically better than Jay Leno but I didn't really like the setting, I'm not a fan of the duet anyway and Popular Song is not the best song for Mika to have an audience in awe... Let's say I'm glad I know Mika in different ways because I think this kind of performance would never appeal to me.

And I'm not one to comment much on his hairstyle but I found that particular one really awful :shocked:

I know what's worse,from my point of view....at least he doesn't need to fake acting at XF,he is true and sincere on every decision he takes.And if he is acting,then he is doing it amazingly good :rolls_eyes:

All performances, especially on TV shows, are an act. And so are his music videos, etc. That's the job.

All performances, especially on TV shows, are an act. And so are his music videos, etc. That's the job.

Yes,I thought that too,before seeing him on XF,I was expecting to be just like the other judges from the similar shows.I'm usually very skeptical,but I'm so happy that I was wrong :)

Yes,I thought that too,before seeing him on XF,I was expecting to be just like the other judges from the similar shows.I'm usually very skeptical,but I'm so happy that I was wrong :)

I mean his musical performances. They are all an act. Are you saying you'd rather watch him judge on a TV show than sing? :aah:

I guess there are limits how sincere and real this kind of a performance can possibly be (a duet with a disney star on US television) and we have a very different perspective compared to average television audience anyway (after seeing some of his best live performances ever, just think him singing UW or Stardust live :wub2:). This performance still gave a positive image of both of them (especially to someone who didn't know Mika before this show), imo.

He seems to be so sincere and thoughtful in his judge work indeed, and so gentle and sensitive when talking to the contestants. I knew he would be and I'm still impressed.

I mean his musical performances. They are all an act. Are you saying you'd rather watch him judge on a TV show than sing? :aah:

Oh,no,for me he's not fake acting on his gigs,at least that's what I feel,otherwise I wouldn't cross the entire Europe to see him performing :dunno:

Oh,no,for me he's not fake acting on his gigs,at least that's what I feel,otherwise I wouldn't cross the entire Europe to see him performing :dunno:

What do you call making the same speeches every night, pretending to shoot the band, using the same dance moves, etc. What about his music videos? What about all his other TV performances? I don't see the difference.

I guess there are limits how sincere and real this kind of a performance can possibly be (a duet with a disney star on US television) and we have a very different perspective compared to average television audience anyway (after seeing some of his best live performances ever, just think him singing UW or Stardust live :wub2:). This performance still gave a positive image of both of them (especially to someone who didn't know Mika before this show), imo.

He seems to be so sincere and thoughtful in his judge work indeed, and so gentle and sensitive when talking to the contestants. I knew he would be and I'm still impressed.

You're right,we may be a little biased on this,but I remember I didn't feel the same when he did that duet with Chiara,he looked much more involved on that performance,imo.But I don't want to go off topic,I'm glad he did so well,I know he deserves it,and it will be awesome if he'll get a huge amount of appreciation from the US audience :thumb_yello:

What do you call making the same speeches every night, pretending to shoot the band, using the same dance moves, etc. What about his music videos? What about all his other TV performances? I don't see the difference.

That's acting what he does on his gigs,but not fake acting,like someone forced him to do it.He is an artist,and we know he likes to make up his own stories on stage,obviously he does that from his heart.It is a big difference,imo.

That's acting what he does on his gigs,but not fake acting,like someone forced him to do it.

I don't see any evidence of him being forced to do something he doesn't want to do. He looked like he enjoyed himself - backstage, on stage and in his tweets afterwards. I don't see what the difference is between this and any other TV show he's performed on. Just because WE would rather he was singing without Ariana doesn't mean someone put a gun to his head.

You're right,we may be a little biased on this,but I remember I didn't feel the same when he did that duet with Chiara,he looked much more involved on that performance,imo.But I don't want to go off topic,I'm glad he did so well,I know he deserves it,and it will be awesome if he'll get a huge amount of appreciation from the US audience :thumb_yello:

But you can't expect him to act the same when singing a love duet on Stardust, which talk about how he can't live without someone and singing Popular, which is a song about bullying...