Last Party - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Log lady

Since I just donated for Mika's 40th birthday project (reforestation initiative in Lebanon) and referred to Last Party in my donation note, I thought I might as well drop it here, as it's at least somewhat analytical of the song, too, I guess :)

"Enjoy the party 'cause this is our last." In an interview with Billboard, Mika talked about his song Last Party being only "in a sense" about Freddie Mercury's infamous multi-day party that he allegedly threw after being tested HIV-positive. Mika said that this myth made him think about how we deal with terrible news in general, and that he wanted to convey the "strange combination of terrible news and that rush of adrenaline". So for me, taking the line "if it's the end of the world" more literal than it's meant, the song was always about the terrible news concerning the state of our environment that reach us every day, too. It's humankind's last party. Trying to live our lives to the fullest, even more so after realizing that we won't be able to do that for much longer, is what Mika describes as the "strange combination of terrible news and that rush of adrenaline" for me. That's why I donated. To have more rushes of adrenaline, but less terrible news. And I know Mika cares 🌍🫶🌳

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much for this, sarinaa. I feel my own reaction reflected in your words. I have only recently discovered Mika and am taking a crash course in his stuff. Since I will never be able to actually attend a live concert (disability reasons) I am drinking in videos of live performances. And I just saw him perform this in a small hall in Korea (best audiences ever!). He expressed feelings, or seemed to —there was a pain in his face that I have not seen. It mirrored what I felt—every time I hear the song it hurts more, reflecting more and more deeply the crisis we are facing now, the desperation and despair of this moment, and how there is nothing left to do but find some final moments of joy and connection with those we love. It feels like this man can make me cry tears with the positivity of his presence, the pain he transcends, the pain he conveys. Wow. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Aww @QueenBigFat, I'm so sorry, I've only just seen this!! And well, thank YOU for this ❤️ I'm so glad you discovered Mika and the forum, and that you can at least take some joy in watching videos of him perform:) I also watched a couple of videos from the shows in Korea and Japan and wish I had been able to attend them, the atmosphere seemed electrifying (also loved it when he came back in his PJs for an unplanned encore in Tokyo and sang Billy Brown :D). And this:

reflecting more and more deeply the crisis we are facing now, the desperation and despair of this moment, and how there is nothing left to do but find some final moments of joy and connection with those we love. It feels like this man can make me cry tears with the positivity of his presence, the pain he transcends, the pain he conveys

So beautifully phrased ❤️ I feel that. So deeply. In the light of everything that breaks on the new, really, all you can do is wrap your arms around everybody because if we're all gonna die, let's party... I was lucky enough to witness him perform this live in Bristol in May, by the way. The band started playing it during sound check and I didn't wanna get my hopes up, but he ended up actually doing it! I cried like a baby during his performance, even though he forgot the lyrics of the second verse, and the girl next to me and I had to help him from the first row by screaming them at him 😅 He then changed "this is what happens when you stay out late" to "this is what happens when you forget the words to your songs and people in the front row teach them to you" 😂 

Edited by sarinaa
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hi again!

so please forgive me for not doing the cut-and-paste thing…not enuff mental bandwidth for it right now.

First, thanks muchly for the comment about my writing. I am touched by it.

Your tale about what happened when you saw him was wonderful!! And where else can one go from sobbing to being able to take care of your guy and then being incorporated into one of his songs. A memory to treasure fer sure! Ah, Mikaland. What a place to be!

Edited by QueenBigFat
I can play with the spelling of words but there is for sure no MikOLand!!!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again sarineaa,

I was quite wrong about something….when I said I had never seen his face be so sad as on the Korea video. I am only now catching up with his music videos, which often I do not love in general because they rarely are about singers' songs but more become independent short films. Then I saw the one he did for this song. OMG, break my heart why doncha. Watching his face collapse into pain at the end as the note faded away and all was silent….just his face. That face. Haunting. Brilliant.

PS Apparently our fella spends a lot of time in his pajamas! There is a video on MFC of a day in the life, done by an Italian filmmaker, and in it Mika goes to the airport after Cannes in them, etc. Now that would be an encounter for his fans to cherish!

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, QueenBigFat said:

Then I saw the one he did for this song. OMG, break my heart why doncha

Hits me hard every time I watch it too. The song and video came out at a very dark time for me, now I've come to appreciate the beauty behind his lyrics, over time I've come to really love this song!

1 hour ago, QueenBigFat said:

Now that would be an encounter for his fans to cherish!

As for his fans experiencing Mika in his pajamas, have you watched Stasera Casa Mika yet? If not you're in for a treat! 😁

• Sad 2

On 9/6/2023 at 3:43 PM, silver said:

4 hours ago, TinyLove_CJ said:

Hits me hard every time I watch it too. The song and video came out at a very dark time for me, now I've come to appreciate the beauty behind his lyrics, over time I've come to really love this song!

As for his fans experiencing Mika in his pajamas, have you watched Stasera Casa Mika yet? If not you're in for a treat! 😁

omg silver I did it again! Why always you??! Every time I screw up quoting someone by adding someone else accidentally, that someone is you! Are we destined to meet, or wut??!

ok, now…..Tiny_Love CJ,

First….yep, I know about dark times. Sorry about yours. It seems you are in a better place now….hope I am right….but darkness has its own schedule in our lives, huh?

I agree about the beauty in Mika's lyrics. It took me a while to be able to get to the point where I could actually find out what he was saying, even in English….I can almost never understand most of it….and he is brilliant. And believe me, I am really sort of a snob in that regard. The rhythms he creates, the relationship between the beat and his words….and the wonderfulness of his symbolisms. My love for his work was so strong from the beginning and it was based on just a small segment of what he does.

Which relates also to his being so effing funny! I have watched dome of his tv work in Italian, which I do not understand, and it cracks me up! 

Tv shows are next in my research project….including translations, where they are available 

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

The rhythms he creates, the relationship between the beat and his words….and the wonderfulness of his symbolisms. My love for his work was so strong from the beginning and it was based on just a small segment of what he does.

You really have worded quite eloquently the way I feel about his music and his art in general. Thank you for this! 

10 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

PS Apparently our fella spends a lot of time in his pajamas! There is a video on MFC of a day in the life, done by an Italian filmmaker, and in it Mika goes to the airport after Cannes in them, etc. Now that would be an encounter for his fans to cherish!

Haha. Although I do think it’s hilarious that he does that, I actually think in real life that he doesn’t travel like this. I believe he even said in the documentary that it’s quite exceptional that he takes a private jet and a helicopter to a certain destination, it is definitely not on a regular basis.

Also, when he is in public he is very invisible. He even said in recent interviews that he is proud of that: to be able to mingle in so much, that you won’t notice he’s there. So traveling in pyjamas is just too conspicuous! :lol3:

• Like 3

Yaya. He also said he hides in the corner at parties to not be asked to sing. He went from being isolated as a kid to needing to become invisible as an adult. 

Can you imagine people seeing him at an airport in one of the countries where he is famous??!?!?!  It would be a riot! And not in a good way!

…he looks great in his pj’s, tho, very ….how shall I say….relaxed!

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 2

On 9/10/2023 at 12:34 AM, QueenBigFat said:

Without his face?!!?!?!?!? What’s the matter with you??!?!!??:damn::lmfao::mad3::no::crybaby:

Just click on the picture. It's a whole thread. :wink2:

You are going to see his face. :original:

• Like 1

• dcdeb changed the title to Last Party - Song and Lyrics Discussion

Hey @QueenBigFat! I am SO SO sorry for not seeing your replies earier; I got so busy, I was only able to catch up with notifications, but I probably should've checked this thread out nonetheless 😥 Regarding this:

On 9/8/2023 at 10:07 PM, QueenBigFat said:

music videos, which often I do not love in general because they rarely are about singers' songs but more become independent short films

Same!! I literally have this note on my phone about things I wouldn't let my production team force me to do if I were in the music biz, and one of those things is "Only narrative music videos that accurately visualizes the story of the song OR an abstract music video that's at least somehow related to the song" 😂 I do love a lot of Mika's music videos - admittedly not all of them, especially some of the recent ones (but as long as he's in them, it's never "bad", right? xD).

Then I saw the one he did for this song. OMG, break my heart why doncha. Watching his face collapse into pain at the end as the note faded away and all was silent….just his face. That face. Haunting. Brilliant.

The one for Last Party, however, I also wholeheartedly adore. It really couldn't be more simple, yet genius. Not only does he look staggeringly gorgeous in it, the emotions really convey and reach me 100%. And I do think it was the best choice for this song - artistically, I mean. I think visualizing what it's actually about (in the ostensible sense, not the meaning it has for some of us, as talked about above) would've a) been really difficult and b) could've crossed a line, especially considering he even called upon Brian May to ask for permission to release the song in the first place!

And just LMAO at this ahahah! I would love to meet him in his PJs xD

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 11:40 PM, QueenBigFat said:

The rhythms he creates, the relationship between the beat and his words….and the wonderfulness of his symbolisms. My love for his work was so strong from the beginning and it was based on just a small segment of what he does.

Ahhhh, YES, I can only agree with holdingyourdrink (Michelle) here! He said it a lot himself: He likes to have the most lively, happy sounding and upbeat track accompany the most devastating, sad and heart-wrenching lyrics. He's really one of a kind when it comes to that, and I believe the "relationship between the beat and his words", like you put it so well, is really what makes his music so unique! I don't know any other artist that does that so geniusly!! ❤️

On 9/11/2023 at 2:17 AM, Prisca said:

Just click on the picture. It's a whole thread. :wink2:

You are going to see his face. :original:

Oh, of course, she said, :grandma:, knocking herself in her gray head.

(I sure wish I could get the hang of this new interweb stuff you young folks are so good with!

:punk:)

• Like 2

On 9/9/2023 at 2:36 AM, holdingyourdrink said:

You really have worded quite eloquently the way I feel about his music and his art in general. Thank you for this! 

Thank you. I used to be a writer—-I say used to because I am retired and since I am not on social media besides this forum— not much opportunity. Or motivation, because and I can only be creative when something moves me, and Mika just propels me into a place where my heart drives my words. Ev. Ry. Time! I have never experienced this before. I miss the experience of writing a lot and am so glad to have it, but especially glad for the kind of inspiration he inspires. (Inspiration he inspires??) I am so Grateful to him. Because in real I am such a curmudgeon sometimes. Or hyper or controlled by social anxiety in groups. Loud but shy! I have always had a hard time letting my inner self, the quiet, soft part of me, my favorite but most hidden part, out in public, except with exceptionally safe people. I don't even know Mika, but he brings it out. Always. From a distance. When I hear his music, see him being interviewed, or talk about him, it softens me. Makes me vulnerable. Which is a good state.

ooopsie, a bit off topic. Of this conversational, but not OT as regards being about our boy!

You know, I am not aware of any other performer, at least here in the States, who reaches so far into peoples' hearts in a genuine way, not as ohmygodican'tbelievetaylorswift way (the most comparable performer in terms of big hearts that I can think of here), but in a direct, human, personal way, inspiring them to be their best selves. 

In fact, that, and his kindness—his character , if you will, as reflected in MFC, are what inspired me to join. I first read the forum when they were planning his 40th gift, and there was a whole conversation about how to word the card. People were debating whether to use his mom's quote (may your head always bloom) and the issue was gee, we don't want to say anything he might find painful. What other celebrity elicits that sensitivity from their fans??  This group is a manifestation of who Mika is, as I said on some birthday posts. It’s like the old thread about bullying that I just came across. It is the group he deserves.

Oh!! Wait!! I as so busy talking about my own self that I forgot to get back on topic!

…..so my point: I do not think that any other artist, or group, short of a song from a production on Broadway (-and that’s acting!)—has ever or could ever elicit the kind of heartbreaking beauty that this song does, especially when I see that face, and the heart behind it , performing it.

15 hours ago, sarinaa said:

I don't know any other artist that does that so geniusly!! ❤️

Tee. You invented a word! And did do quite geniusly!

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

is it only me or is it  really really difficult to stay on only one topic when discussing Mika and his work???

Omg YES, extremely hard! I can just deduce that this has something to do with what you said right here:

9 hours ago, QueenBigFat said:

who reaches so far into peoples' hearts

He really does! I mean, just look at the way he made you talk about yourself in the first paragraph, he's like a therapist! Loved reading that, by the way! I'm glad the forum gives you the opportunity to keep writing as you're evidently super good at it! He seems to be able to activate people's creativity with his own creativity (or, how you put it: the inspiration he inspires!! xD)! When we queued for the Bristol gig, everybody sat down to do something crafty: we made crêpe paper flowers (you should've seen the look on his face when he saw the flowery and colorful first row!!), I remember one person doing embroidery, another one was making bracelets, then (maybe you've seen this) one person (Elizabeth) arrived with this wooden box she carpentered and painted herself, and then we all wrote little notes to put into it and for him to read. I've been to so many concerts in my life but I've never seen this much dedication, creativity, positivity, acceptance, sense of community and belonging, and passion in a fandom – truly inspiring.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2023 at 10:26 AM, QueenBigFat said:

Can you imagine people seeing him at an airport in one of the countries where he is famous??!?!?! 

Quoting my own self here because a much better fantasy is…so he mostly travels without using a private jet…imagine being on a plane. Oh, maybe, traveling to where he is playing a gig. And as boarding progresses someone unfolds into the seat next to you….and turns to you and flashes that adorable, goofy grin…

Ah.

on another note…

10 hours ago, sarinaa said:

He really does! I mean, just look at the way he made you talk about yourself in the first paragraph, he's like a therapist! Loved reading that, by the way! 

Actually better than a therapist, as Former therapist replies. Because it takes nothing to get me to talk about myself:fisch:…. But to create a safe space for that level of honesty and vulnerability takes years in therapy, if it is ever achieved at all. To  inspire someone to change their normally defended way of manifesting is a special gift that can only arise from the other person’s own authenticity, I think. That’s his gift. One of so many. But the one I have resonated  most deeply with from the minute I saw it.

sarinaa, this is so beautifully said:

I've been to so many concerts in my life but I've never seen this much dedication, creativity, positivity, acceptance, sense of community and belonging, and passion in a fandom – truly inspiring.

“Loved reading that, by the way”

(Screwed up my quote box but you said that. To which I say… Thank you!)

i did not see the gift box scene, but yesterday stumbled across the Korean concert with the paper airplanes. I had heard about it but of course nothing compares to seeing it. Oh. My. God. Funniest thing evah! The creativity he inspires takes may forms!:insane:

Edited by QueenBigFat
  • Like 2

He seems to be able to activate people's creativity with his own creativity (or, how you put it: the inspiration he inspires!! xD)!

This is very true. For me personally, listening to his music and further exploring his work made me rediscover the artistic side of me, one that I had laid to rest for many years. Creativity begets creativity. His creativity is like a catalyst. Not just to me, to many! 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Not just to me, to many! 

Thank god he inspired you to draw again, we would miss out on so much beautiful art if you didn't.

It's the same for me I had nearly stopped making music altogether but his music sparked that joy in me again of just doing it for myself without constantly thinking about whether it's "good" or other people will like it. But just as a means to express myself and my emotions.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

Thank god he inspired you to draw again, we would miss out on so much beautiful art if you didn't.

Thank you so much, that means the world to me ❤️

7 minutes ago, CharlotteL said:

his music sparked that joy in me again of just doing it for myself without constantly thinking about whether it's "good" or other people will like it. But just as a means to express myself and my emotions.

Same, honestly! 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, QueenBigFat said:

But to create a safe space for that level of honesty and vulnerability takes years in therapy, if it is ever achieved at all. To  inspire someone to change their normally defended way of manifesting is a special gift that can only arise from the other person’s own authenticity, I think. That’s his gift. One of so many. But the one I have resonated  most deeply with from the minute I saw it.

Stooop, this is so beautiful! :mfr_omg: My, very unpoetic, two cents: The phrase "the gift that keeps on giving" gets a whole new meaning, with Mika being the gift lol^^ Hope to read more of your so incredibly articulate stuff here ❤️

2 minutes ago, sarinaa said:

Stooop, this is so beautiful! :mfr_omg: My, very unpoetic, two cents: The phrase "the gift that keeps on giving" gets a whole new meaning, with Mika being the gift lol^^ Hope to read more of your so incredibly articulate stuff here

Ok you made me cry. Stop it. :flowers2:
….Yet another example of what Mika does to me….us….directly or indirectly….….:tears: I am always crying and smiling at the same time!

So much warmth. Especially at this point in history, we are struggling with global warming but what we need more than ever is human warmth .

Wow, did you see what i did there!!?! I brought the conversation back to the original topic!!!:yay:And not even intentionally!!! (QBF exits stage left, incredibly impressed with herself.:lol3:)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2