NEW VIDEO for 'HURTS' ! Hurts next single in Italy - soundtrack in Italian film 'Un Bacio' + video shoot in Udine 16 January 2016

mari62

Hmm, I have very mixed feelings about this video. It goes well with the song and the message is happy, positive, uplifting, all the things why I loved Mika in the first place. So why do I find it so boring?

I think I miss the darkness that he often talked about. No darkness or hidden meanings in this video, that's for sure.

And a bit too much of charming beautiful "holy" Mika for my taste. (like in his three last video's). It reminds me of the happy messages that Christian gospel groups are spreading around.

I really think it's wonderful that he feels happy and wants to share that happiness with other people. It's beautiful that he dares to be vulnerable and that he's no cynical bystander. I very much respect the choices he is making, his coaching and supporting young artists, his fights agains bullying and discrimination. And I love all the good things he is doing for sick and bullied children and for refugees in Libanon. If there would be more people like him, the world would be a much better place.

But I guess somehow, I miss depth, anger, disappointment, ugliness, flaws, a bit of (dark) humour. It's all so good, so positive, so shiny and fashionable, like a glossy magazine such as Happinezz.

Perhaps I miss some passion, something fascinating and brilliant? The feeling of being surprised by seeing new and unexpected things? A bit less dancing around, a bit more showing pain and raw emotion. Of course I'm happy that uncertainty and negativity don't seem to be a big part of his life at this moment. I don't want him to suffer or to feel bad. I just miss something.

I hope lots of mistreated and bullied children will love this video and find comfort in it. I hope discussions will follow and that this video will really help solving things. I hope I will end up not missing disturbing and darker things anymore but enjoying all the joyful positivity again. I sort of miss the most that that such joyfulness and positive messages are not enough for me anymore.

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 1

Hmm, I have very mixed feelings about this video. It goes well with the song and the message is happy, positive, uplifting, all the things why I loved Mika in the first place. So why do I find it so boring?

I think I miss the darkness that he often talked about. No darkness or hidden meanings in this video, that's for sure.

And a bit too much of charming beautiful "holy" Mika for my taste. (like in his three last video's). It reminds me of the happy messages that Christian gospel groups are spreading around.

I really think it's wonderful that he feels happy and wants to share that happiness with other people. It's beautiful that he dares to be vulnerable and that he's no cynical bystander. I very much respect the choices he is making, his coaching and supporting young artists, his fights agains bullying and discrimination. And I love all the good things he is doing for sick and bullied children and for refugees in Libanon. If there would be more people like him, the world would be a much better place.

But I guess somehow, I miss depth, anger, disappointment, ugliness, flaws, a bit of (dark) humour. It's all so good, so positive, so shiny and fashionable, like a glossy magazine such as Happinezz.

Perhaps I miss some passion, something fascinating and brilliant? The feeling of being surprised by seeing new and unexpected things? A bit less dancing around, a bit more showing pain and raw emotion. Of course I'm happy that uncertainty and negativity don't seem to be a big part of his life at this moment. I don't want him to suffer or to feel bad. I just miss something.

I hope lots of mistreated and bullied children will love this video and find comfort in it. I hope discussions will follow and that this video will really help solving things. I hope I will end up not missing disturbing and darker things anymore but enjoying all the joyful positivity again. I sort of miss the most that that such joyfulness and positive messages are not enough for me anymore.

I think there is a darkness or hidden message in the video, the video doesn't end with everyone smiling and dancing and cheering, it ends up with MIKA knee down in front of a white wall. The effect of bullying will always be there, it will become lighter and less important, but it have shaped who you are and it will never completely go away, and any similar things will bring your feeling back to that situation again. I know this is a positive video in general, but in the end I feel the pain.

• Like 2

Corriere TV

http://video.corriere.it/mika-cotroneo-la-nostra-collaborazione-nata-grazie-corriere/5531121c-cb61-11e5-9200-b61ee59246a7?playlistId=d5f6003e-7de1-11df-a575-00144f02aabe

Cinema News
Mika e Cotroneo: «La nostra collaborazione nata grazie al Corriere»
Da oggi il lancio del video di «Hurts», colonna sonora del film «Un bacio» contro bullismo e omofobia | Corriere TV

Ivan Cotroneo e Mika si sono conosciuti al «Corriere della Sera» e da lì è nata l’idea di collaborare come raccontano in questo video esclusivo. Cotroneo ha diretto il video di «Hurts» (brano tratto dall’album «No Place In Heaven»), pezzo forte della colonna sonora del suo film «Un bacio», in uscita il prossimo 31 marzo, prodotto da Indigo Film, Titanus con Rai Cinema. Protagonisti: Rimau Grillo Ritzberger, Valentina Romani e Leonardo Pazzagli.

VK

2016.02.04 Corriere TV : Mika e Cotroneo : Un Bacio / Hurts

Thank you very much missrully and Eriko!  :flowers2:

• Like 2

Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKkmu-pBMQ

What can I say? Beautiful, witty, sad, intellectual, joyful, hopeful, uplifting ... I hope to hear the song live in Liège, Belgium in june.

Mika,

Indeed the words hurt. When one hears the word 'faggot, schwull, pd, jeanet, frocio, ...' a billion times during childhood not only hearts get hurt, but one's psychological make-up changed and shaped.

The pain never stops, but artwork like yours makes it easier ... :)

David

Being followed down the hall by boys who barked, called ugly, string bean, Muttley and more... it left me feeling unlovable for many years. Being vulnerable because of the words left me open to other maltreatment and I have never forgotten it, even now. I've had zero tolerance for the kids who bullied my kids and refused to just "let it go" when they did. It definitely does change a person.

I think there is a darkness or hidden message in the video, the video doesn't end with everyone smiling and dancing and cheering, it ends up with MIKA knee down in front of a white wall. The effect of bullying will always be there, it will become lighter and less important, but it have shaped who you are and it will never completely go away, and any similar things will bring your feeling back to that situation again. I know this is a positive video in general, but in the end I feel the pain.

very true, There's also pain and anger in the video. The subject (bullying) of course is very painful as well. And I agree with your remark about the ending. Still it all feels a bit melodramatic and contrived to me and so obvious that you hardly can call it hidden message. But you're right, my words about Mika's repeating call for joyfulness and positivity are not completely accurate if you only watch this video. Although the general and very clear meaning in it that friendship, support and love will help you to find yourself and will get you through rough times ís very joyful and positive. Edited by Pascale

I think there is a darkness or hidden message in the video, the video doesn't end with everyone smiling and dancing and cheering, it ends up with MIKA knee down in front of a white wall. The effect of bullying will always be there, it will become lighter and less important, but it have shaped who you are and it will never completely go away, and any similar things will bring your feeling back to that situation again. I know this is a positive video in general, but in the end I feel the pain.

I agree with yang. And maybe you didn't read the information about the film and the book on which it is based, and the true story that inspired the author/the film and the video director, that I've posted a few pages back in. (Edit): Please, take a look if you want to know the context of it. The message is very important and beautiful, but they are neither an happy film nor an happy book. 

And perhaps you don't know that this is a message which needs to be heard very loud everywhere of course, but especially in Italy, where things are very complicated, even when it comes to bullying, especially in schools and especially about homophobic bullying.

Edited by charlie20

very true, There's also pain and anger in the video. The subject (bullying) of course is very painful as well. And I completely agree with your remark about the ending. Still it all feels a bit melodramatic and contrived to me and so obvious that you hardly can call it double meaning. But you're right, my words about Mika's repeating call for joyfulness and positivity are not completely accurate if you only watch this video. Although the general and very clear meaning in it that friendship, support and love will help you to find yourself and will get you through rough times ís very joyful and positive.

I agree with yang. And maybe you didn't read the information about the film and the book on which it is based, and the true story that inspired the author/the film and the video director, that I've posted a few pages back in. The message is very important and beautiful, but they are neither an happy film nor an happy book.

And perhaps you don't know that this is a message which needs to be heard very loud everywhere of course, but especially in Italy, where things are very complicated, even when it comes to bullying, especially in schools and especially about homophobic bullying.

i don't want to diminish the important message or the hurt that people have that are being mistreated or bullied. Like I said I hope that the video will help the discussion. i know that this is a message that has to be heard by as many people as possible.

I was expressing my personal feelings about the video and Mika. Not attacking people that feel touched or supported by this song and images. And certainly not critizising Mika because he wants to try to make the world a happier place. But I admit I am critizising his way of doing it. Not because it's wrong but because it doesn't appeal to me (anymore).

I now realize that maybe it was not the right place here to express my feelings. It's a controversial subject and perhaps the discussion here should only be about that and not about my personal appreciation of the video. I support the message fully by the way.

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 1

i don't want to diminish the important message or the hurt that people have that are being mistreated or bullied. Like I said I hope that the video will help the discussion. i know that this is a message that has to be heard by as many people as possible.

I was expressing my personal feelings about the video and Mika. Not attacking people that feel touched or supported by this song and images. And certainly not critizising Mika because he wants to try to make the world a happier place. But I admit I am critizising his way of doing it. Not because it's wrong but because it doesn't appeal to me (anymore).

I now realize that maybe it was not the right place here to express my feelings. It's a controversial subject and perhaps the discussion here should only be about that and not about my personal appreciation of the video. I support the message fully by the way.

Oh nononono I dont think you are attacking us or anything, and please dont feel like that we are angry at you or we dont like your oppinion. And I kind of understand you that you missed the dark, angry mika, and maybe that's why so many people especially love Promiseland in NPIH. But yeah, he is really happy now, and I guess it's harder and harder for him to do things the old way cuz his emotion has changed.

• Like 1

thank you Lucrezia :) 

I missed it yesterday  :doh:

I saw it Marina! :D I left my men at dinner to watch it closely (and they laughed at me obviously but I don't care - obviously  :naughty: )

• Like 1

I think you have every right to express your personal feelings about the video, and they're certainly not any less valid than anyone else's, including mine. :) But I have to admit that I'm surprised you find the video too positive, mostly because I don't find the song itself very positive at all. Sure, the video has an uplifting message (which ties in with the movie, so it's not all Mika's doing), and the remix version of the song is more bouncy than the original, but I find the lyrics very sad and full of hurt, disappointment and even bitterness. So, to me the contrast between the sad lyrics and the bouncy tune is classic Mika. I think it goes well with the video, which is about a painful subject, even if it does offer a positive resolution.

I do also believe that Mika's original intent when he wrote the song wasn't for it to be an anti-bullying message, but a song about a breakup/argument between lovers (he even described it as a love song in an interview). It doesn't sound like it was written from a happy place at all. But when he was approached about the song being in the movie, I think he saw the lyrics fit well there too, and the message was definitely something he could get behind, so he was happy for the song to be interpreted that way and become meaningful for more people.

• Like 3

I love this video.  :fangurl: 

It is made with simple ingredients, but the message that launches is very strong. Great quality of the direction. :thumb_yello:

The boys and girls who play the video are very good: they are the true protagonists, Mika remains always in the background, as a sort of careful observer...I really like his touch of tenderness above all the video.

He plays the role of the big brother watching those scenes with the detachment and calm of his age and  the life he lived.

He is the proof  that it is possible to get out from those situations, but he is even the proof that those words written in a wall of a school are still inside him, because they really hurt, it is not just a way of saying.

I love the positivity that Mika brings in whole context, his serenity, his intensity, his efforts to turn away all the guys from the drama and anger, from the heaviness of those situations, to bring them in a context of joy and positive reactions. Everything will be OK.

Bello.

• Like 4

Oh nononono I dont think you are attacking us or anything, and please dont feel like that we are angry at you or we dont like your oppinion. And I kind of understand you that you missed the dark, angry mika, and maybe that's why so many people especially love Promiseland in NPIH. But yeah, he is really happy now, and I guess it's harder and harder for him to do things the old way cuz his emotion has changed.

thanks for your comments and for (kind of) understanding. I'm glad he's happy and he loves what he's doing. He is a great example of someone who faces his fears and works hard to get what he wants. And at the moment he is enjoying a well-deserved result of that attitude.

I don't think I miss the old Mika. Well, maybe a bit but that's not the main thing. People change and that's okay. I am confused though that I feel so disappointed by his recents video's and I'm trying to figure out why I feel like that. What aspects I don't like or what I'm missing. I guess I'd hoped I'd liked his new projects as much as his old ones, only in a different way.

Unfortunately I find his recent videos one dimensional and boring. I miss something touching or surprising me. It's just so difficult to describe what it is because i can recognize and appreciate it when I see it but I can't figure it out when it's not there (for me personally, I mean). I'm not a very creative or performing person myself but (or so) I love it when I see other people performing or creating things in a exceptional, original or moving way. I discovered Mika one a a half year ago and he and his music have touched me in a spectacular way. I've never felt like that about any other musician and i've been fascinated by him for a long time. But recently that feeling has changed and I find it hard to let it go. I feel sad about it although I realize that's the risk if you depend on other people to give you inspiration and happiness.

Now I'm a bit melodramatic myself by the way. It's not that I don't have a life without Mika but for a long period he made it a far more happy one by his energy and his music. Luckily for him he is still very happy and enjoying the things he is doing. And luckily there are lots of people still enjoying those things very much.

So I guess I have to move on and find my own creativity (or another artist;-))instead of criticising his. I'm very grateful for what he has given me and I will keep following him, playing his music and hopefully see another concert in the near future.

And I will stop being disappointed and telling that I am. It's getting very boring also.

Edited by Pascale

I think you have every right to express your personal feelings about the video, and they're certainly not any less valid than anyone else's, including mine. :) But I have to admit that I'm surprised you find the video too positive, mostly because I don't find the song itself very positive at all. Sure, the video has an uplifting message (which ties in with the movie, so it's not all Mika's doing), and the remix version of the song is more bouncy than the original, but I find the lyrics very sad and full of hurt, disappointment and even bitterness. So, to me the contrast between the sad lyrics and the bouncy tune is classic Mika. I think it goes well with the video, which is about a painful subject, even if it does offer a positive resolution.

I do also believe that Mika's original intent when he wrote the song wasn't for it to be an anti-bullying message, but a song about a breakup/argument between lovers (he even described it as a love song in an interview). It doesn't sound like it was written from a happy place at all. But when he was approached about the song being in the movie, I think he saw the lyrics fit well there too, and the message was definitely something he could get behind, so he was happy for the song to be interpreted that way and become meaningful for more people.

Thanks for your comment. i agree completely with what you are saying about the original intent of the song. The positive message I meant is not in the song ((I quite like the song actually) but is in the video. To me it seems that the song has completely disappeared to the background in it.

As I said in a former post I admit that there is also (stylized) pain and anger in the video. But the general outcome is a positive one and Mika as "guardian angel" is not a real person but a symbol spreading happiness and love. My critique is also that most things are so shiny and fashionable in the video. The children are beautiful, clothing and images are filmed to impress instead of to tell a story. To be fair, that's probably the doing of the director of the movie that the song is used for. But It's Mika's video, so I suppose he happily agreed to do it that way.

When I heard the intro and saw the video it reminded me of Smalltown boy of Bronsky Beat. It's kind of the same subject but in that video I can relate to the emotions and feel sympathy for the characters. The awkward relationship between a homosexual young boy and his parents is very moving and his shy admiration for a handsome guy (that beats the boy up after noticing his longing looks) is heartbreaking. Those are the things I am missing in this video. There's too much message and too little reality.

Edited by Pascale

Thanks for your comment. i agree completely with what you are saying about the original intent of the song. The positive message I meant is not in the song ((I quite like the song actually) but is in the video. To me it seems that the song has completely disappeared to the background in it.

As I said in a former post I admit that there is also (stylized) pain and anger in the video. But the general outcome is a positive one and Mika as "guardian angel" is not a real person but a symbol spreading happiness and love. My critic is also that most things are so shiny and fashionable in the video. The children are beautiful, clothing and images are filmed to impress instead of to tell a story. To be fair, that's probably the doing of the director of the movie that the song is used for. But It's Mika's video, so I suppose he happily agreed to do it that way.

When I heard the intro and saw the video it reminded me of Smalltown boy of Bronsky Beat. It's kind of the same subject but in that video I can relate to the emotions and feel sympathy for the characters. The awkward relationship between a homosexual young boy and his parents is very moving and his shy admiration for a handsome guy (that beats the boy up after noticing his longing looks) is heartbreaking. Those are the things I am missing in this video. There's too much message and too little reality.

Thanks for explaining your reaction to the video in more detail. I know it's often difficult to put these feelings into words, but you've managed it very well, and now I can definitely understand your point of view. :) I guess it just goes to show how subjective art is and how different people's reactions to it can be. Hopefully you'll find Mika's next project more inspiring again!  :flowers2:

• Like 2

I love that video :wub2: I love the message :wub2: and Mika's smile is like a rain of sunshine pushing the darkness away :biggrin2: I have always found that Mika's videos were so inspiring and positive and I was disappointed with Beautiful Disaster video (although I love the song itself ) but the video was stressing for me , but as it is a duet obviously it couldn't be the same as a Mika only video , anyway I watched it once and that was enough for me...but Hurts video is one I'lll watch again and again because to me a totally positive one :wub2:  Also I'm always happy and proud that Mika gets involved into such projects :thumb_yello:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

No worries Pascale :hug:  It's ok that we all like different songs and different videos :thumb_yello: If everyone said the same, then life would be boring. Mika evolves , fans evolve too , and that's the way life is :original: Maybe you will like Mika's next video better or you will move on, but only time can tell. Fans come and go , some stick around, some take breaks, some come back, but don't feel bad for saying what you think :huglove:

• Like 3

Thanks for explaining your reaction to the video in more detail. I know it's often difficult to put these feelings into words, but you've managed it very well, and now I can definitely understand your point of view. :) I guess it just goes to show how subjective art is and how different people's reactions to it can be. Hopefully you'll find Mika's next project more inspiring again!  :flowers2:

No worries Pascale :hug:  It's ok that we all like different songs and different videos :thumb_yello: If everyone said the same, then life would be boring. Mika evolves , fans evolve too , and that's the way life is :original: Maybe you will like Mika's next video better or you will move on, but only time can tell. Fans come and go , some stick around, some take breaks, some come back, but don't feel bad for saying what you think

Thanks both for your kind words and emoticons.  :thumb_yello:  :flowers2:

Actually I'm not only glad that I got to know Mika this last one and half year but through him also this great MFC website. Not only an endless source of information but also a fascinating place full of (mostly) amazingly helpful and friendly people from all over the world. 

I'm amazed and delighted by the time and efforts fans spend on Mika and on providing information about him to other fans (the mighty Moderators, tireless Translation Team, wonderfull Kummaz, resourcefull Kreacher, traveling and wiseTiibet and all fans that scan articles, write reports and make pictures, videos, poems, necklaces etc etc), I've learned things about French, Italian, UK, Korean etc. etc. media and society which i knew nothing of before and that I would never had learned otherwise. 

Occasionally it would have been nice if there was a bit more discussion about songs, content of articles, reviews or performances. I'm not sure why there isn't. :unsure: Probably because most things have been said before and because such discussions usually end up in: "well, IMO it's great/true/stupid etc ";  "well, IMO it's not" .  :argue:

To get back on topic :winksmiley02: : words do not only hurt but they also enrich and make you grow.  And I've been fully enriched and evolved by this Mika experience. Still learning things as well. 

So i'm not leaving yet but will stick around for a bit. Maybe not so talkative since not many people are talking back to me :sad:  but that's a very valuable lesson in itself . :D  

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 3

Some people would like to catch other's eyes by showing their sufferings,while others base their success on them.

Hurts' MV brings me back to August 2015 when the insult 'FROCIO' was painted on Mika's poster.And that's when Mika became my hero.He used it as a flag and started the hashtag #rompiamoilsilenzio bravely.Because of him,I think LGBT is should be the same and love is love.I'm glad I'm not one of them who make fun of gay as a fashion,in fact,they think LGBT is disgusting.We should give LGBT theirs due respect.We don't need to pay off bullies and homophobia by insulting.The hatred is enough.

Compared to what others are going through,i wasn't being bullied when i was little.However,I have already known it hurts a lot.I know the feeling that there's no using crying,I must get up by myself.So let's clean the wall of insults and fight for our humans' rights.

Thank you,Mika!You made me who I am today.You are by far the most respectful person that I've ever loved!Because of you,I can make friends with so many lovely mikafreaks and join the united family.I'm excited that you are coming to China again.But it's a pity that I can't go to your gig.Cuz I will take the national entrance exam after a few months.In the near future,I will go to your gig and sing every song with you and all the mikafreaks.Wish you a great tour!

• Like 1

I love the meaning of that video, and the thing that they delete those words on the wall, but I have to say that I agree with Pascale on some point.

I love it, but one the other side I think something is missing. :)

I love the meaning of that video, and the thing that they delete those words on the wall, but I have to say that I agree with Pascale on some point.

I love it, but one the other side I think something is missing. :)

the funny thing is that I just watched some recent documentaries (million thanks to the translation team again) and now I'm sort of smitten with Mika again. Not missing anything at all. He's such a wonderful person: committed, kind, diligent, humorous, empathic, thoughtful, smart etc.etc. His thoughts, words and actions come from deep and understanding feeling for other people (especially outsiders). And he tries so many different things and works so hard to achieve them.

It's just that i'm not fond of the artistic form in which he is moulding his inner world recently. Sometimes I think he's taking himself a bit too seriously. Although he clearly tries hard not to do that. Like he says, the ego is a wonderful thing for an artist but also a dangerous thing. And it's difficult to stay focussed and to find the time and peace of mind to invent new original ways when so many people are following and admiring (or criticizing) every word you say and everything you do (in public).

Probably Í take him and most of all my appreciation of him too seriously myself. It's just a few videos I personally don't like or songs that I find okay but not great (while many others love them) and lately a feeling of disappointment and repetitiveness when I see his performances in shows like the Voice or X-factor.

However, he apparently sets very high standards himself and he has said that the last thing he wants is to be mediocre. So I'm still expecting (or at least hoping for) artistic excellence and originality. Which I'm afraid is almost impossible together with conveying sympathetic and significant messages and having long term participation in big tv shows and collaboration with famous fashion designers. And maybe even (I sincerely hope not) incompatible with having a very busy, happy and fulfilled live.

ps: i keep thinking of the words in Ordinary man "If I am ordinary.... so are you". It's all in the eye of the beholder.

Edited by Pascale
  • Like 1