Cry

silver

48 minutes ago, Mikasister said:

But you still haven't realized that the song talks about when I left him  :lmfao:

Nah, he talks from our point of view because he doesn't come to meet us anymore. :mf_rosetinted:

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, silver said:

I think you all try to read too much into these lyrics (and the other songs).

A good songwriter can take inspiration from a fleeting mood, something someone says, a chance event, and imagine themselves in that situation.  It doesn't always have to be directly about the writer.

The problem with this song is that I can't stick it on my own situation 😅. I have to find a meaning tho..... Especially as I m listening to it on my way to work and I have plenty of time to think of it 🙄😂

• Like 1

Mika in an interview talked about a relationship with someone he was very much in love with, before he knew Andy, and it ended badly. It seems Mika had an obsession for that person. Could this song have something to do with that relationship?  :dunno:

• Like 2

I'm just reading the translation to the lyrics of "Une soleil mal luné" and am wondering now whether they are linked to "Cry".

Edit: Could it be about fame? Both songs, actually. I think fame can make you feel lonely. :dunno:

Edit 2: Ok, forget about Une soleil being about fame, but that gave me the idea - it'd fit to Cry. 

And @Mikasister about that guy who hurt him, that's what I meant with my first post here on this thread (on page one), I think that might be the guy 'Rain' is about, but I don't think it's relevant for the current album. 

What also makes me think about 'Cry' so much is that it's a T-Shirt and part of the stage set. So I think it's important. Although he doesn't sing it at the shows.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mellody said:

@Mikasister

What also makes me think about 'Cry' so much is that it's a T-Shirt and part of the stage set. So I think it's important. Although he doesn't sing it at the shows.

Could it be about his childhood time when he was crying because his mother forced him to practice music and now he may cry because she's not able to work with him anymore? 🤔

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, carafon said:

Could it be about his childhood time when he was crying because his mother forced him to practice music and now he may cry because she's not able to work with him anymore? 🤔

It's an interesting thought, but how does the line "must be a reason why we fall in love" fit to that? :dunno: Fall in love with making music? 🤔

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mellody said:

It's an interesting thought, but how does the line "must be a reason why we fall in love" fit to that? :dunno: Fall in love with making music? 🤔

Yes …...first hated then  finaly  beloved…… 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, carafon said:

Yes …...first hated then  finaly  beloved…… 

I just re-read the lyrics with that in mind, but somehow I can't make sense of it. While when I think he sings about fame, it does make sense to me, pretty much every line. In fact, it'd be a possible explanation for the missing M&G's (yeah, I know, *that* topic again :teehee:) - while of course he enjoys the attention he gets from fans, he doesn't want to be a celebrity (anymore) and thus reduces the contact to his fans to the moments when he's performing. :dunno:

And in fact I think I wasn't that wrong about Une soleil mal luné, I read an interpretation by @Alireine in the lyrics discussion thread for this song, and although mainly it seems to be about a loved one (Andy, I guess), there are many references to being famous (that's why Mika is "the sun"). It's all hard to understand for me, as the lyrics as well as the interpretation are in French, so I have to rely on Google Translate. But still, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a link between the 2 songs.

Here's a link to the Soleil thread:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mikasister said:

Mika in an interview talked about a relationship with someone he was very much in love with, before he knew Andy, and it ended badly. It seems Mika had an obsession for that person. Could this song have something to do with that relationship?  :dunno:

I also thought about that (and also about Tomorrow, while Mika said other contradictive things about that one, as usual 💁🏻‍♀️

But I also like your interpretation about music industry 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mikasister said:

That's more how I would interpret it.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 8:35 PM, mellody said:

I just re-read the lyrics with that in mind, but somehow I can't make sense of it. While when I think he sings about fame, it does make sense to me, pretty much every line. In fact, it'd be a possible explanation for the missing M&G's (yeah, I know, *that* topic again :teehee:) - while of course he enjoys the attention he gets from fans, he doesn't want to be a celebrity (anymore) and thus reduces the contact to his fans to the moments when he's performing. :dunno:

And in fact I think I wasn't that wrong about Une soleil mal luné, I read an interpretation by @Alireine in the lyrics discussion thread for this song, and although mainly it seems to be about a loved one (Andy, I guess), there are many references to being famous (that's why Mika is "the sun"). It's all hard to understand for me, as the lyrics as well as the interpretation are in French, so I have to rely on Google Translate. But still, it wouldn't surprise me if there was a link between the 2 songs.

Here's a link to the Soleil thread

If you want to find an explanation in his lyrics for lack of m&g  ,I think you'd better study "J'ai pas envie" :teehee: :naughty:

"I don't want :fisch: ,I don't want to please you":fisch: 

Back to the song , even if being famous is probably sometimes quite difficult ,I can't believe that it's so painfull that he had to write a song called "cry" to cope with that .

I also think that somebody who's fed up with fame would certainly not continue to share so many personal things on ig:dunno:

Edited by carafon
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, carafon said:

If you want to find an explanation in his lyrics for lack of m&g  ,I think you'd better study "J'ai pas envie" :teehee: :naughty:

"I don't want :fisch: ,I don't want to please you":fisch: 

Back to the song , even if being famous is probably sometimes quite difficult ,I can't believe that it's so painfull that he had to write a song called "cry" to cope with that .

I also think that somebody who's fed up with fame would certainly not continue to share so many personal things on ig:dunno:

Haha thanks, I'm gonna analyze that song next! :naughty: Had totally forgotten about it, although I really like it. But I never cared much about his French lyrics, it's hard enough to interpret lyrics in a language I understand, muchless in a language where I have to rely on translations. :teehee: I'm interested in trying to understand the French songs as well now though.

As for Cry, to me the song is clearly about a love-hate thing. He wants to be close to a person or a thing, he falls in love with them/it, but he's hurt by them/it, it makes him feel alone.

I don't think he's fed up with fame, in a way he likes it, but it certainly has disadvantages, so - if I interpret Cry to be about fame, maybe it could mean he decided not to cry over these disadvantages anymore? To keep an emotional distance from fame, although in a way he enjoys being famous? And it clearly helps him to be more successful in his job.

On the other hand, what speaks for Cry being about a person is the line "give me a reason why I'm hurting for the both of us" - a thing can't feel hurt, obviously, so he wouldn't need to be hurting "for the both of us".

• Like 2

18 hours ago, mellody said:

As for Cry, to me the song is clearly about a love-hate thing. He wants to be close to a person or a thing, he falls in love with them/it, but he's hurt by them/it, it makes him feel alone.

I don't think he's fed up with fame, in a way he likes it, but it certainly has disadvantages, so - if I interpret Cry to be about fame, maybe it could mean he decided not to cry over these disadvantages anymore? To keep an emotional distance from fame, although in a way he enjoys being famous? And it clearly helps him to be more successful in his job.

On the other hand, what speaks for Cry being about a person is the line "give me a reason why I'm hurting for the both of us" - a thing can't feel hurt, obviously, so he wouldn't need to be hurting "for the both of us".

I totaly agree with the hate/love idea 

If you remember that he called music "his wife" and "the only woman in his lover's life" in some  (french and Swiss I think) interviews , it could stick with the line you quoted

Edited by carafon

1 hour ago, carafon said:

I totaly agree with the hate/love idea 

If you remember that he called music "his wife" and "the only woman in his lover's life" in some  (french and Swiss I think) interviews , it could stick with the line you quoted

I think I missed this interview, or at least I don't remember it... if it was a video interview, I have to wait for the Subs Team. :blush-anim-cl:

33 minutes ago, mellody said:

I think I missed this interview, or at least I don't remember it... if it was a video interview, I have to wait for the Subs Team. :blush-anim-cl:

Here is the Swiss one  (around 38.45)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carafon said:

Here is the Swiss one  (around 38.45)

Thanks. I didn't know that one, as it makes no sense for me starting to watch a 55 minutes interview in French ( @Subtitling Team any chance for a translation at some point? :puppy_eyes:).  About the bit you mentioned, it seems he's more like "wtf did I say there?!" :doh: :lmfao:

But I guess we're getting a bit OT here. I hope the interview was posted somewhere on the Swiss Press thread (or in an extra thread), we can go on discussing it there. :)

Another thought I had today is that Cry might have to do with his Dad. The only relation I see to that is because of the placement of the Cry Moon in the stage set on the side of his father's picture, whereas the hand, which I think is his Mum's, is on the side of her picture. And he did say somewhere that there's a song about his Dad on the album. But I won't go into deeper analysis about this thought, doesn't feel right if it's that and I couldn't really connect it to the lyrics anyway... I just mentioned it because it's an option how it could be important enough for being part of the stage set but still not something he put there for us to understand in detail.

I guess I prefer the other interpretations we had so far, makes more sense to me. :teehee:

3 minutes ago, mellody said:

I just mentioned it because it's an option how it could be important enough for being part of the stage set but still not something he put there for us to understand in detail.

I was wondering too about this crying moon. It's as well on t-shirts. So for sure it is important.

Maybe at the begining Mika wanted to sing this song on stage? Like he was singing Blue during Tiny Love Tiny Tour but he changed his mind.

Just now, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

I was wondering too about this crying moon. It's as well on t-shirts. So for sure it is important.

Maybe at the begining Mika wanted to sing this song on stage? Like he was singing Blue during Tiny Love Tiny Tour but he changed his mind.

Yes, when I saw the crying moon shirts in London before the show, I wondered if he would sing it.

About Blue, I don't think that one's about changing his mind, he also did it in London and Zurich... but instead he sings Paloma at the big shows, I suppose it'd be too many slow songs otherwise, or that delicate song just doesn't work on a big stage. :dunno:

2 minutes ago, mellody said:

or that delicate song just doesn't work on a big stage. :dunno:

I would agree with this option. Several times Mika mentioned before singing Blue that it is very difficult to sing.

I think not only vocally but emotionally too.

And there are always some people who are screaming which does not help Mika at all. People can't shut up for 3 minutes :emot-sad:

• Like 1

Arrgh, wanted to sleep but my mind won't stop thinking about this! :aah: Gotta write down this thought before I forget it. So what I wrote before about the crying moon being on the side of his Dad's photo in the stage set, I think it's not about Michael Holbrook Senior but about Michael Holbrook Junior! Left side of the stage Mika, right side Michael. I think this separation even works for the album cover.

So what does that mean for the song? In that letter from Mika to Michael in some French magazine he wrote something about Michael sometimes being melancholic, but Mika tried to fight against it. Maybe it's that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

And what we have got in today's story? 😁😁😁😁

And it sounds really good. I liked it since the first time I heard it. Maybe because sounds like a 80's song and I love the songs of that decade. :wub2:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mikasister said:

And it sounds really good. I liked it since the first time I heard it. Maybe because sounds like a 80's song and I love the songs of that decade. :wub2:

When I heared this song for the first time I imagined longleg models on the runway. It's a perfect rhytm for walking :thumb_yello:

Something like this :cheerful_h4h:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

When I heared this song for the first time I imagined longleg models on the runway. It's a perfect rhytm for walking :thumb_yello:

Something like this :cheerful_h4h:

The walks of the models and the rythm of the song suit perfectly together! They should use it in fashion shows:thumb_yello::flowers2:

• Like 2