CANCELLED - 2022 - Mika @ Roadrunner, Boston - 2 April 2022

Mikasister

Just now, Aki Celeste said:

Good to know, thanks! I'll be happy if I can even make it there, with COVID restrictions and such, but if I'm feeling up to it I may very well start waiting in line earlier. I hear that bringing snacks and water is not a bad idea, at least until I get inside. :D

At least you're already in the same country, so the conditions aren't too bad. :original:

For me, there is still an ocean in between, but since Biden and not Trump is in power, I sincerely hope that the borders will not be closed again. :crossed:

And does anyone happen to know whether you need a negative PCR test to enter the USA or whether a negative antigen test is sufficient? Unfortunately, it only says negative COVID-19 test. :dunno_grin:

grafik.thumb.png.91125f1d86b45e3db95c6666df2c98ef.png

1 minute ago, Prisca said:

And does anyone happen to know whether you need a negative PCR test to enter the USA or whether a negative antigen test is sufficient? Unfortunately, it only says negative COVID-19 test. :dunno_grin:

Since this changes every week, I wouldn’t worry about it until a week before departure to be honest. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Since this changes every week, I wouldn’t worry about it until a week before departure to be honest. 

Agreed! At the moment, however, it seems that both PCR and antigen tests are OK. PCR tests can take a little longer to process, so maybe that's why? @Prisca Here's the website I found that mentioned both: https://www.afar.com/magazine/cdc-approves-at-home-covid-tests-for-international-travel

Edited by Aki Celeste
  • Thanks 1

Just now, holdingyourdrink said:

Yes, I'm afraid so. It's just that I can do antigen tests at Zurich airport for free and pay a fortune for PCR tests there. That's why I would be happy if I didn't know that too late, because if I know for sure that I have to do a PCR test, I certainly won't do it at the airport.

2 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Early access was for Boston not for London I believe @Prisca, I can’t seem to find it right now, but I remember reading it on my ticket when purchasing. 

I can't see anything about "early access" here. :dunno_grin:

grafik.thumb.png.ad03c87b543f34462394b7fe7e6cbd4b.png

Just now, holdingyourdrink said:

I can’t find it in the app either. But I can’t find it for the London gig either (final tickets don’t seem to be available yet on Ticketmaster, though I do have a receipt) 

I thought the MFC Presale Ticket for London also included "early access" like the membership, but I'm not sure now either. And for Boston, I don't remember anything about early access. :dunno_grin:

https://www.roundhouse.org.uk/about-us/support-our-work/membership/

1 hour ago, kreacher said:

Even though others joined me early the line didn't start building up that much until after noon I'd say.

Sorry to belabor the topic, but what has been your experience with waiting in line with friends? I'm bringing someone along who's not nearly as avid of a fan as I am, and I'm wondering if it's good etiquette to hold his place in line if I decide to arrive earlier in the afternoon. He's my seeing eye guide, sort of, as I can have considerable trouble navigating in unfamiliar darkened spaces, so maybe I can justify it if anyone looks at me sideways. ^_^

On 1/25/2022 at 4:26 PM, Aki Celeste said:

Sorry to belabor the topic, but what has been your experience with waiting in line with friends? I'm bringing someone along who's not nearly as avid of a fan as I am, and I'm wondering if it's good etiquette to hold his place in line if I decide to arrive earlier in the afternoon. He's my seeing eye guide, sort of, as I can have considerable trouble navigating in unfamiliar darkened spaces, so maybe I can justify it if anyone looks at me sideways. ^_^

Last time in NYC my sister came to meet me in line (I was maybe like 4th in line) and “cut” in front of people behind us, but before she arrived I explained to the couple right behind me (they arrived maybe like 30 mins after me?) that she was coming later and that she just wanted to stand with me while we waited since we hadn’t seen each other in months and she didn’t care about being near the front during the gig so they said they didn’t mind. 
Other times I’ve been one of the ones that late arriving friends have cut in front of. When you’ve been waiting for 8 hours and someone arrives an hour or two before doors open and gets a better spot than you its tough to swallow. I’m not one to say anything to anyone but others might not be so accommodating.

I’ve found the folks near the front of the queue to generally be pretty chill and we hold each other’s place in line for bathroom/food breaks, etc. I have no idea how it is further back.

So I’d say you can try it, be super  apologetic to those behind you and explain your situation, but understand if you get some pushback or dirty looks.

Hopefully some others in the thread can chime in with their experiences.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 10:12 PM, Prisca said:

You are exempt from testing when you have had COVID in the 90 days prior to arrival: 1) you need a copy of your positive PCR test (or a “recovered” status, which you can acquire as a QR code), AND 2) you need a letter from a licensed health care provider or a public health official stating you are cleared for travel.

Now I don’t exactly recommend catching COVID :lol3: but if you catch it and recover from it now you don’t have to test! :biggrin2:

Edited by holdingyourdrink
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

You are exempt from testing when you have had COVID in the 90 days prior to arrival: 1) you need a copy of your positive PCR test (or a “recovered” status, which you can acquire as a QR code), AND 2) you need a letter from a licensed health care provider or a public health official stating you are cleared for travel.

Now I don’t exactly recommend catching COVID :lol3: but if you catch it and recover from it now you don’t have to test! :biggrin2:

:damn:

My brother and his family had the virus the week before last/last week, a very good friend had the virus last week and the friend I babysit for and her family had it last week and this week respectively. Should I have let myself get infected on purpose? smilie_denk_14.gif:teehee:

Please don't take my black humour joke seriously and get infected on purpose, you never know how hard the virus will hit you. :wags_finger:

3 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

8 minutes ago, Prisca said:

Please don't take my black humour joke seriously and get infected on purpose, you never know how hard the virus will hit you. :wags_finger:

This is very true, no catching viruses on purpose!!

I just researched It because I happen to have catched it and am trying to kill my time in quarantine :facepalm:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I just researched It because I happen to have catched it and am trying to kill my time in quarantine 

Yes, I know :itsok:, I hope the time will pass quickly. :hug:

I could pick up my freshly pressed passport at the post office today. :cheer:

20220129_120709.jpg

By the way, the day before the concert is my birthday. I'll probably be pretty jet-lagged :insane:, but I still don't want to spend the whole day in bed on my birthday. :lol3: And I can think of more exciting things than spending my birthday alone in a foreign city, so if you want, we can arrange to talk about a fan action or celebrate a bit with me on April 2nd evening. :original:

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Prisca said:

I could pick up my freshly pressed passport at the post office today. :cheer:

20220129_120709.jpg

Yay!! Its coming together. ❤

That's a pretty passport! 😍 Is it pink or red? It looks deep pink, but that might be the light? 

• Like 1

OK, I need to ask advice of more experienced travellers. I've only flown once before, to Crete when I was about 20, soooo....  this is my possible travel plan: 

Fri 1st fly late evening LHR to JFK, arrive 11.30pm. Hoping I can sleep on the flight, if I'm not too excited, lol! Spend 6 hours kicking my heels at JFK (hopefully some shops, food and lounges will be open) then early morning flight to Boston, arrive around 8am on 2nd. 2 nights in Boston. On 4th get morning flight back to JFK, do the NY meet up and concert. Then late night flight back from JFK on 6th, arrive UK about 8am. 

I'm looking at booking economy light, which is the carry on bag plus a small personal bag. It doesn't include a suitcase. I'm thinking if I pack carefully that should be OK, if I miss anything I can always buy when I'm there. 

Does that sound feasible? Does anything jump out as being a bad idea? 

And, do you have any tips for making the journey more pleasant? (Note to self: buy some pyjamas :lol3:)

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Hero said:

I'm looking at booking economy light, which is the carry on bag plus a small personal bag. It doesn't include a suitcase. I'm thinking if I pack carefully that should be OK, if I miss anything I can always buy when I'm there. 

Check at the airline website what you are allowed to take with you in your hand luggage. It might make more sense to check in one piece of luggage because, although you would have room for everything in your hand luggage, you are not allowed to take everything (not containers with fluids with more than 100 ml, also applies to shower gel, shampoo (I think also toothpaste), no scissors, nail cutters etc.). But you can also buy these things in America or containers with less than 100 ml at home.

58 minutes ago, Hero said:

And, do you have any tips for making the journey more pleasant? (Note to self: buy some pyjamas :lol3:)

Move your arms, legs and sometimes stand up during your flight, otherwise you might find all your bones aching when you arrive.

Enough Mika music stored on your phone, take a book/magazine and all the things that are allowed and fun. :biggrin2:

Edited by Prisca
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will personally travel with only hand luggage, but that’s because I am going to enjoy not having to pack for 3 other (little) people :biggrin2: and remain 100% flexible.

Yes, it means I can’t take scissors or nail cutters with me, but I can miss them for the 5 days that I’m away :wink2: and I have many things in travel containers (less than 100ml) already, so I’m good to go! 

If you do wish to travel with only hand luggage, I believe you are still allowed a handbag: pack the bag with fluids in your handbag, so you can present them easily at security at the airport. You don’t want to dig it out of your hand luggage, at least, I don’t :thumb_yello:

• Like 2

Oh and a tip from an extremely pragmatic traveler: if you think you need it, take only 2/3 of it with you.

So you think you need 3 pairs of shoes? Take 2 pair, of which one you’re wearing :biggrin2: this is not very Mika-ish, but you don’t want to carry extra weight when you’re strolling the city! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I think we with a couple of other MFCers :biggrin2: I know @Sivanis game, too! 

The day we arrive in Boston? I might get there too late 😢 I think i land only around 8:45pm