CANCELLED - 2022 - Mika @ Roadrunner, Boston - 2 April 2022

Mikasister

1 minute ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I haven’t looked into transportation yet! But I was thinking maybe drop off luggage at the accommodation (haven’t booked that yet, either 🤣) and then go there in the late afternoon, like 3-4 pm?

Sounds good! :original:

The museum is open from 12:00 to 6:00 p.m.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Sivan and I were talking about seeing the Jim Henson exhibition in Queens (the man who made the muppets). It is only open in the weekend, so we will travel to NY on the Sunday! Maybe come with us?

The cheaper domestic flight with Delta is hand luggage only, which made me decide to travel only with hand luggage. Also saves waiting at baggage claim, big plus when you have a connecting flight like me. 

Like I mentioned before: I only pack for myself and not my three mini’s, so I can actually make this happen :lol3:

Yes. I'm thinking to skip seeing Boston for this jim Hanson exhibit because he is my favorite artist besides Mika and Queen ❤️

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Prisca said:

Thank you, I'll think about it! :thumb_yello:

@Hero What do you think about going to New York already on 3 April? :original:

I was considering it, it means an extra night in NY to relax and recover, and be ready for the meet up on 4th rather than dashing in that morning. I guess it depends if there's anything in Boston you want to see? 

I was wondering about getting the Acela train back, might make a nice change from flying. There's one leaves 11.05am gets into NY just before 3pm, or another at 1.05pm gets in before 5pm. That latter would give time for a  morning visit to one of the places in Boston. Alternatively there's the Amtrak regional trains that leave from 6.30am, get in at 11am, which would give you time to do the exhibition if you wanted. https://www.amtrak.com/tickets/schedule-results.html

Although it's quoting me $107 (£80, €90) which is more expensive than the flight! But it's business class as standard, extra leg room etc.

Edited by Hero
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Hero said:

I was considering it, it means an extra night in NY to relax and recover, and be ready for the meet up on 4th rather than dashing in that morning. I guess it depends if there's anything in Boston you want to see? 

No, there is nothing in Boston that I absolutely have to see. I also think that I will go from Boston to New York on 3 April. :original:

14 minutes ago, Hero said:

I was wondering about getting the Acela train back, might make a nice change from flying. There's one leaves 11.05am gets into NY just before 3pm, or another at 1.05pm gets in before 5pm. That latter would give time for a  morning visit to one of the places in Boston. Alternatively there's the Amtrak regional trains that leave from 6.30am, get in at 11am, which would give you time to do the exhibition if you wanted. https://www.amtrak.com/tickets/schedule-results.html

Although it's quoting me $107 (£80, €90) which is more expensive than the flight! But it's business class as standard, extra leg room etc.

I still have to take a close look at whether I should take the train or the plane. At the moment, I'm leaning more towards the plane, as it seems to be cheaper and it also takes me less time to get to New York. :original:

6.30am - 11am is a bit early for me.

11.05am-3pm would be ok in terms of time, but if I want to go to the exhibition, a bit tight, especially if my accommodation is a bit away from Queens, which it probably will be.

1.05pm-5pm if I want to see the exhibition, it's too late.

And of course it would be good to have an accommodation where I can check in as early as possible if I want to go to the exhibitions, because it's not ideal to take my suitcase to the exhibition. :lol3:

Do you already have an idea where you want to stay? :original: I haven't looked at anything yet. :facepalm:

At the moment I am leaning towards this flight:

grafik.thumb.png.38f43d355b8724511d99456d991d8dd9.png

@holdingyourdrink Do you already know which flight you're taking from Boston to New York?

1 minute ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I will talk to Sivan, because we haven’t booked the domestic flight yet. Is it ok if I get back to you on this? Are you in a rush to book? 

No, I'm not in a rush, I'm also not sure if I want to book this flight. :original:

4 hours ago, Prisca said:

Do you already have an idea where you want to stay? :original: I haven't looked at anything yet. :facepalm:

At the moment I am leaning towards this flight:

grafik.thumb.png.38f43d355b8724511d99456d991d8dd9.png

That looks a good flight. Quicker and cheaper than the train, so more time in NY. :thumb_yello:

I've had a quick look at places to stay, but need to do it properly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hero said:

@Hero and others... I've been meaning to chime in on your travel plans -- I've seen you posting on this thread and the NY thread, and I just haven't had the time to sit and write.

Anyhow, FWIW, and you know what your circumstances are, but I personally would not hang out overnight in the JFK terminal. New York is not as nice or as safe as it was even a few years ago, and I think that includes the airports. Of course, with COVID, all the old rules have changed. :dunno:  Here's a website that talks about sleeping in airports, even though it hasn't been updated since 2020, maybe it will give you some insight:

https://www.sleepinginairports.net/sleep-guide/sleeping-in-new-york-jfk-airport.htm

It mentions that some of the JFK airport lounges have pay-on-the-spot passes and showers available. Not sure if that's still the case, but that might be useful.

As for the Acela train, if you can afford it, it's a great way to travel. Fast and comfortable, but it is usually a bit more expensive than the regional train, and sometimes airfare. The regional train is fine, but keep in mind that US train service is not as prompt and reliable as European train travel. The regional trains often have delays, most unexplained, and almost always arrive at their destination late. (The Acela is an express so it usually runs on time.) So just take that into account when planning. One of the advantages of train travel, though, is that it usually works out to be faster. It's quicker and cheaper to get to the train station downtown, rather than get out to the airports, and you don't need to be at the train station hours beforehand, like you do at the airport to get through security, etc. That's my experience, anyway.

I'll be taking the train from DC to NY myself this trip, on the 4th, so hopefully I'll get in early enough to meet up with some of you before whatever get-together we end up having that evening! Unfortunately, Mika's change to April 2, means that I really can't do Boston. I'd have to do four nights in a a hotel, or make two separate trips -- too expensive, especially when I'll be making the trip to London in July as well. Oh well, somehow I'll live!

Can't believe it's only two months away! :yay:

• Like 6

I have successfully changed my flight to the day before! Am now looking at accommodation close to the Jim Henson exhibition in Queens so we don’t lose too much time with travel/dropping bags before it closes at 6pm. 

Hope to see @Priscaand @Herothere, too, maybe also others? :thumb_yello:

I will look into domestic flights once I got the reschedule confirmation, but your suggestion does look good, Prisca. Have you decided yourself yet how you would like to travel to NY?

• Like 3

10 hours ago, dcdeb said:

I'll be taking the train from DC to NY myself this trip, on the 4th, so hopefully I'll get in early enough to meet up with some of you before whatever get-together we end up having that evening!

So you’re thinking late afternoon/evening get together? What time will you approximately arrive you think? Sivan and I are just hanging out in NYC, like the cool kids do :glasses: (or actually just like overly excited mums who finally get to leave the house!)

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I will look into domestic flights once I got the reschedule confirmation, but your suggestion does look good, Prisca. Have you decided yourself yet how you would like to travel to NY?

I'll probably take a flight because if the regional trains are late, I don't know when I'll get to New York, and the trains, which would probably be more reliable, are probably more expensive. I haven't looked at accommodations in NY yet, but at least I've looked at the maximum size allowed in terms of hand luggage on some airlines. :lol3:

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Am now looking at accommodation close to the Jim Henson exhibition in Queens so we don’t lose too much time with travel/dropping bags before it closes at 6pm. 

But that will probably be a bit away from the Kings Theatre. Do you want to book two different hotels then? After all, we need to get to the accommodation somehow after Mika's concert (preferably not too expensive). :dunno_grin:

26 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

So you’re thinking late afternoon/evening get together? What time will you approximately arrive you think? Sivan and I are just hanging out in NYC, like the cool kids do :glasses: (or actually just like overly excited mums who finally get to leave the house!)

Sigh. I'm so disorganized these days. I really have to look at the train schedule. But yes, thinking more like a dinner party type of thing for New York. I'll go over there to that thread to start figuring out my plans, who's interested, etc.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Prisca said:

But that will probably be a bit away from the Kings Theatre. Do you want to book two different hotels then? After all, we need to get to the accommodation somehow after Mika's concert (preferably not too expensive). :dunno_grin:

Yeah, but since it’s an extra day in between I figured I will optimize travel on that day, to not lose too much time before the exhibit closes (don’t want to walk around with my luggage!) The accommodation in Brooklyn I already booked and that will then remain unchanged :biggrin2:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

The accommodation in Brooklyn I already booked and that will then remain unchanged 

Ah ok, then of course it makes sense. I had misunderstood you, I thought you hadn't booked any accommodation in NY at all. :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hero said:

So is everyone looking in Brooklyn for accommodation? 

Yeah, my Airbnb is about a 10 min walk to the venue & wasn’t overly pricey. I saw a couple others I considered too.

Hipefully you’ll find something nice & convenient 

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 3

So, I have finally booked my accommodations (yes, I ended up booking two, one is closer to the Kings Theatre :lol3:) in New York. And I've taken an earlier flight in the end, so I'll be in New York early enough to go to the exibition:

grafik.png.19d0c09c5522a846a6766d20d25c2574.png

I haven't looked at trains. It also took me long enough to book everything like that :facepalm:. I've been wanting to do it for a while and yesterday, I really wanted to finally book it, but then there was the official confirmation that Mika will host Eurovision and then also today the announcement of a new tour in Italy. And then I didn't get around to booking these things. :lmfao:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Prisca said:

So, I have finally booked my accommodations (yes, I ended up booking two, one is closer to the Kings Theatre :lol3:) in New York. And I've taken an earlier flight in the end, so I'll be in New York early enough to go to the exibition:

grafik.png.19d0c09c5522a846a6766d20d25c2574.png

I haven't looked at trains. It also took me long enough to book everything like that :facepalm:. I've been wanting to do it for a while and yesterday, I really wanted to finally book it, but then there was the official confirmation that Mika will host Eurovision and then also today the announcement of a new tour in Italy. And then I didn't get around to booking these things. :lmfao:

You're doing better than me, I spent this evening looking at hotels in Rome. Meanwhile Boston and NY still need connecting flights and accommodation booking... :doh:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Hero said:

You're doing better than me, I spent this evening looking at hotels in Rome. Meanwhile Boston and NY still need connecting flights and accommodation booking... :doh:

Are you taking the plane now too? :original:

I just had a scare: my flight to Boston was cancelled (I'm glad I noticed it at all, I thought it was spam at first :doh:). :yikes:

Then became angry when I thought the flights were now twice as expensive. :damn:

I then realised that this would be a return flight and I only need the outward flight. :doh:

Then the flight was only 120 francs more expensive and with the provider I booked it with, the flight was only 30 francs more expensive than my original flight. And the flight times are actually better for me: but still, wouldn't mind if everything worked like clockwork for once. 😅

And now I have to figure out what to do with the CHF 390 flight voucher from Iberia? Maybe Mika will do a festival in Spain after all, otherwise I don't know what to do with this voucher. Maybe for the festival in Perpignan? Anyway, the voucher is valid for one year. :original:

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Prisca said:

I just had a scare: my flight to Boston was cancelled (I'm glad I noticed it at all, I thought it was spam at first :doh:). :yikes:

Then became angry when I thought the flights were now twice as expensive. :damn:

I then realised that this would be a return flight and I only need the outward flight. :doh:

Then the flight was only 120 francs more expensive and with the provider I booked it with, the flight was only 30 francs more expensive than my original flight. And the flight times are actually better for me: but still, wouldn't mind if everything worked like clockwork for once. 😅

And now I have to figure out what to do with the CHF 390 flight voucher from Iberia? Maybe Mika will do a festival in Spain after all, otherwise I don't know what to do with this voucher. Maybe for the festival in Perpignan? Anyway, the voucher is valid for one year. :original:

Oh heck, that would scare me too. Glad it turned out okay. :hug:

He's said more dates in Europe, I hope that includes Spain. :yes:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hero said:

He's said more dates in Europe, I hope that includes Spain. 

With my luck probably spring or summer next year when my voucher isn't valid anymore. :lmfao:

• Haha 1