I'm a bit late in the game, but...

Aki Celeste

...I've known about Mika since 2007, when I was studying abroad in France and heard his song 'Relax, Take It Easy' being played EVERYWHERE. I subsequently listened to his first album and eventually bought a copy, wherein I was delighted to discover the exquisitely tragic bonus song at the end of the final track. He performed on the West Coast a few times while I finished out my college years there, but to my (present) shame I never made an effort to see him live.

Now, after rediscovering him during the pandemic and acquiring pretty much every album he's come out with since, I'm very excited at the prospect of finally seeing him live in 2022, barring any further pandemic-related catastrophes. He represents to me a glorious acceptance of the pantheon of gender and self-expression, not to mention that his songs mirror pretty much every mood I've experienced as a teenager and young adult, and I often enjoy revisiting those experiences by writing out stories to the soundtrack of his music. If you ask me which songs I like best, I'd have a hard time coming up with a definitive answer, but Blame It On The Girls, I See You, Blue, Ready To Call This Love, and Sanremo would probably be among my top faves. I love Ice Cream and Elle me dit too, but more for dancing purposes than for singing along. :D And Underwater is just TOO MUCH (which of course means it's amazing).

This is just a snapshot of why I'm joining the club now, after all these years (plus it means I get to preorder tix!). Also, I think it's beyond cool that he can communicate in multiple languages, both through speech and music. That's quite enough fan-raving from me, and probably the last time I'll post for a while... it would be lovely to meet other fans at one of his concerts someday!

• Like 8

Hey, Aki! I'm Erica. I loved reading about why you love Mika and his music: "glorious acceptance of the pantheon of gender and self-expression" is such a beautiful turn of phrase! I hope you're able to see him live soon. I'll be seeing him for the first time myself next spring!

• Like 1

OMG, already such a warm welcome! Where have you been all my life?? :tears: :crybaby:

Seriously, it's been a long couple of years of minimal people contact for me, as most of my family and friends live far away. I've only just recently started going back to indoor events, and none of them as big as at Centre Bell in Montreal, but hey, we've got to come out of this pandemic somehow. What better way to celebrate being alive at the return of spring than with Mika at the helm? 

:tea: :flowers2:

(In case you can't tell, I'm loving the emoji GIFs here :D )

• Like 2

Hi, @Aki Celeste :bye: Welcome to MFC, nice introduction :welcomeani:

17 hours ago, Aki Celeste said:

If you ask me which songs I like best, I'd have a hard time coming up with a definitive answer

This is pretty much what we all think when getting this question :wink2:

I hope you'll finally be able to see him live, since then enjoy our forum :thumb_yello:

• Like 1

Hi you! Your poem is absolutely brilliant, made me laugh when I read it :lol3:

On 12/16/2021 at 2:54 AM, Aki Celeste said:

He represents to me a glorious acceptance of the pantheon of gender and self-expression, not to mention that his songs mirror pretty much every mood I've experienced as a teenager and young adult

This is so spot on, I feel the same way! 

On 12/16/2021 at 2:54 AM, Aki Celeste said:

Also, I think it's beyond cool that he can communicate in multiple languages, both through speech and music.

For me this is his special superpower. As a citizen of the world speaking to the other citizens of this crazy world, in search of….something….just like everyone else.

So maybe see you in Boston or NYC next year?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Hi you! Your poem is absolutely brilliant, made me laugh when I read it :lol3:

This is so spot on, I feel the same way! 

For me this is his special superpower. As a citizen of the world speaking to the other citizens of this crazy world, in search of….something….just like everyone else.

So maybe see you in Boston or NYC next year?

I certainly hope so! NYC might be a little tricky for me, but Boston is calling my name, and I've already bought tickets to Montreal. I love that you describe him as having superpowers, yet searching for meaning like any other person. And yes, this world is crazy. Sometimes to a delightful degree, but I have to look hard for the delight in it sometimes, and Mika makes it a little bit easier. :) 

• Like 2