Gift for Mika Ideas - London Gig 3rd July

TinyLove_CJ

Opened this thread to discuss gift ideas to get for Mika for the London gig on 3rd July.

Share any ideas here!

Flowers are always a good choice and we know Mika appreciates them, and flowers go with the Rite of Spring theme too!

I suggested before that maybe some fan favourites could be put into a bouquet along with a vase (something to Mika's style/aesthetic). Hopefully Mika would keep the vase for a long time after! If we chose every fans favourite flowers though the bouquet would look like a garden :lmfao:, so maybe stick to just a few varieties!

Other than a vase, another idea I thought about was perhaps adding in a few very realistic fake flowers to a bouquet. The fake flowers could have just a few thank you notes attached to them (that's if a florist can do this), again at least this way the flowers will never die and Mika can keep them! :lol:

• Like 6

I don't like fake flowers, most of them look cheap and the really good ones are very expensive. But I like the idea of fan's favourite flowers. What are yours? Mine can't be included, they are tropical flowers you can't get here (Frangipani / Plumeria), but I also like white orchids, so if that fits to the rest, maybe it's an option. :original:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mellody said:

What are yours?

I have quite a few favourites! :lol:

In no particular order:

> Lily of the Valley

> Jacob's Ladder

> Sunflowers

> Carnations

> Yellow roses

> Yellow tulips

> All types of Iris

> Heather

> Venus fly trap (does that count? 😅)

But my all time favourite plant has to be giant cactuses, like the Saguaro!

(anywhere between 40-60 feet tall!)

Can we get Mika a cactus? One with arms that we can put decorations on! :lmfao:

• Haha 3

On 6/18/2022 at 2:07 PM, TinyLove_CJ said:

I have quite a few favourites! :lol:

In no particular order:

> Lily of the Valley

> Jacob's Ladder

> Sunflowers

> Carnations

> Yellow roses

> Yellow tulips

> All types of Iris

> Heather

> Venus fly trap (does that count? 😅)

But my all time favourite plant has to be giant cactuses, like the Saguaro!

(anywhere between 40-60 feet tall!)

Can we get Mika a cactus? One with arms that we can put decorations on! :lmfao:

I suppose we could get some kind of a *small* cactus, but I'm not sure that he'd be able to keep it -- are there rules for transporting live plants from the UK to Europe? :dunno_grin:

I love a lot of the same flowers as you have listed -- I'm sure we could get a florist to come up with a nice arrangement with lots of those. Iris, sunflowers, carnations, tulips, roses... I think that Mika also likes hydrangeas... What other suggestions do folks have?

I wanted to note that since we have gotten 79 people (and will hopefully get that 80th person!), everyone who has paid for the party has already paid roughly a pound extra (the total for the pub came to a little under £20/person), which I was going to apply to the purchase of flowers/a gift. I don't think there's any need for party-goers to contribute more (unless they really want to), as that £80 plus whatever else we collect from others will surely make for a nice arrangement.

• Like 12

42 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

are there rules for transporting live plants from the UK to Europe?

Yeah I just checked, any plants that are considered "plantable" (think I've just coined a new word 😅), are not allowed to leave the UK :no:

Maybe we can choose fan favourites that create a rainbow affect when put into a bouquet?! 🤔 🌈 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, dcdeb said:

I love a lot of the same flowers as you have listed -- I'm sure we could get a florist to come up with a nice arrangement with lots of those. Iris, sunflowers, carnations, tulips, roses... I think that Mika also likes hydrangeas... What other suggestions do folks have?

My favorite flowers are roses.

So please one big rose from me in Mika's bouquet :das:

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, BeccaStardust said:

My favourite flowers a daffodil unfortunately it's not the season for them anymore 

I feel like that's very boring 

I love daffodils (especially white ones!), forgot to add them to my favourites list! Definitely not boring! 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dcdeb said:

You've covered the main ones I think. How about peonies (pivoines)? He liked those he received at Versailles. 

Astilbe is fun for a fluffy element. 

Poppy

Gerbera

Something with height, like Larkspur or gladioli.

Stocks are nice for the scent.

Gardenia

Magnolia

Orchid

• Like 2

Peonies are gorgeous, but they’ve gone out of season sadly.. (my best friends bf works at a flower plantation, her living room was full of left over peonies that he brought home lol. The lucky bastard)

14 hours ago, Maaikie... said:

Peonies are gorgeous, but they’ve gone out of season sadly.. (my best friends bf works at a flower plantation, her living room was full of left over peonies that he brought home lol. The lucky bastard)

You're right, it has a short season. Strangely it's still one of the main choices for June/July wedding flowers in the UK. :blink:

Your friend could set up a side business selling dried peony flowers and petals for confetti. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Hero said:

You've covered the main ones I think. How about peonies (pivoines)? He liked those he received at Versailles. 

Astilbe is fun for a fluffy element. 

Poppy

Gerbera

Something with height, like Larkspur or gladioli.

Stocks are nice for the scent.

Gardenia

Magnolia

Orchid

More..!

Sweet Peas

Dahlias (the waterlily type "China Doll" is a gorgeous pink and yellow, good for vases)

Asters

Clematis

Honeysuckle

1 hour ago, Hero said:

Sweet Peas

I was just about to write that, saw some today and they always smell soo nice! :mikalove: They were my fave flowers when I was a kid. In fact they look like little orchids, and are available in so many colours! I'd love it if we could include some of those. :wub2:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mellody said:

I was just about to write that, saw some today and they always smell soo nice! :mikalove: They were my fave flowers when I was a kid. In fact they look like little orchids, and are available in so many colours! I'd love it if we could include some of those. :wub2:

I thought you were going to comment on the Astilbe being fluffy. :lol:

Yes we always had sweet peas growing too, the scent was lovely and such gorgeous colours. And we know Mika likes them too. 😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hero said:

I thought you were going to comment on the Astilbe being fluffy. :lol:

I had to look that up, but yupp, fluff is fine with me. :biggrin2: How about this one? :teehee:

Screenshot_20220621-200750_Chrome.jpg

• Like 5

OK, if this is the route we want to take, I can contact the florist I've used a few times in London and see what they can come up with and how much it's going to cost. We have roughly £100 right now to work with, based on the extra I have from the party and some leftover from Paris. If we open this up to everyone, I'm sure we'll have more than enough for a nice arrangement. I'll be in London the Thursday before the gig and can go shopping for an unusual vase or some other container if the florist doesn't have anything that suits us.

Any other ideas? What about a card? Does one of our artistic types want to tackle designing something? 

• Like 3

I

17 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

70703034-A2F2-480C-886C-491EB6EDE527.thumb.jpeg.aba44678e76a484f79a84893b8697d15.jpeg

Something like this, but then for the Thames with the Big Ben? 

CEBCAC55-E677-492F-B5F8-74B60F6408E3.jpeg

I was thinking for a card to go along with the flowers? Something I could print out and give to the florist ahead of time.

So whatever you all think. As you know, I am no artist!