2023 - Mika @ Cheltenham Jazz Festival, UK, 26 April REPORTS/PICS/VIDS

Kumazzz

10 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

Ha, don't we all look super happy to be attending a Mika gig? 😆😂

I had a wonderful time all throughout the day/night, loved spending the day with my friends and being treated to such a beautiful gig in the evening. ❤️

• Like 10

Hope BBC Four has recorded and broadcast Mika's show.

BBC Four

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001lsnj

ON TV

Sun 7 May 2023 20:15

1 hour, 45 minutes

Spring Soul and Jazz from Cheltenham

A selection of performances from the 2023 Cheltenham Jazz Festival.

BBCFour-CheltenhamJazz2023SpringSoul.thumb.jpg.0ed31cc73b393d392699d670531dbecd.jpg

• Like 7

My heart is still full and it will be for a good while, but after a good chunk of sleep my head isn’t so blurry anymore (in the best way!), so I decided to write my report to give you an impression of the gig and everything around it.

Arrived at Cheltenham after 10pm together with Karin and Chiara (who was in a different hotel and hurried off to check in). After we all arrived in our accommodation together with last roomie Bea, Karin saw an IG story of Vincent Bidal (Karin pronounces it the English way, I the French way, so we confused eachother as to whom we were talking about, haha!) saying that they were in the studio that evening. After Googling “recording studio” we figured out it was just three houses down from us! So of course we took a walk, only to see it looked very much closed for the day. On our walk back we were wondering “But why a recording studio? Was Vincent recording something, or Mika?”

The next day we (Karin, Bea and myself) met up for coffee and a walk with Nina, Marion, Gabry and Manuela. We decided to go for a stroll around the festival grounds, since it would partly be already open it being part of a public park. On our stroll we walked past Max and Wouter who were doing the same in the opposite direction, greeted them and continued our walk. 

For lunch we met up with more MFCers, we were a group of about 10 now and Italian, French, English and German was spoken simultaneously. I just sat back and smiled at the scene, typically MFC in the best possible way!

Later in the afternoon we wanted to try our luck to see if we would see Mika enter the venue. Lo and behold, we did! He was so kind to roll down the window and greet us, signed things and even took a quick selfie with a fan, then rushed inside to get ready for soundcheck. We also saw Andy and Adam arriving with him and waved. 

The big top being a big circus tent, we knew we would be able to hear the soundcheck really well, so hung around and enjoyed the pre-gig sounds. Suddenly we heard “Feels like Fire” and wondered: will Mika sing this by himself?

Since we hung around on festival grounds before the gig, we noticed Andy and Adam running around with a tripod and filming things. We had a lovely chat with both of them and they even asked 10-15 MFCers to take part of the filming! They immediately disclosed that it was for Tiktok and that it was for the Wes Anderson trend that was going around now. We all enjoyed being part it. First part is already on Mika’s Instagram and Tiktok for those who haven’t checked it out yet. 

The gig: it being a jazz audience, we already noticed that they were a dormant audience. But who can you stay seated during a Mika gig?? There were about 10 MFCers in the front of the stalls and some more in the middle and back. It was hard for us to remain seated, so we got up and dance, much to the delight of Mika and the band I’m sure. 

Afterwards the people around me told me how much they enjoyed the gig and they thought it was wonderful we got up and danced, because after that they didn’t feel so shy anymore to do the same. 

So after 4 or so songs (Lollipop, Origin of Love, Big Girl and Icecream I believe), Mika suddenly had a surprise for us. He told us that he had a guest from South Africa, none other than Nomfundo Moh! Us MFCers got really excited. The story with the studio made sense now: they rehearsed for the very first time in person in the studio. Recording of the album and communication had only been online so far. So this was also very exciting for Mika and Nomfundo. They performed Feels Like Fire and a cover of a Harry Belafonte and Miriam Makeba. It was bittersweet, since Harry Belafonte had just passed away the day before. So they dedicated the song not only to him, but to all artists who inspire us and allow us to dream.  I have included three clips of their performance, with Mika introducing Nomfundo. 

Mika was his charming, witty, energetic and melodic self and the public ate it all up! By the end of the show everyone was standing up, clapping, jumping and dancing. Everyone had a huge smile on their face and on our way to the exit, we only heard words like “amazing”, “astonishing”, “energetic”, “great show” and just how much they enjoyed their evening. 

We rushed to the backstage exit, to get a glimpse of Mika. And yes: he did come out and signed many things with a big smile on his face. He was very happy and so were we! At the end we even had a group picture together. It was the perfect ending of the evening with him. 

After the show we still had one more thing on our wish list: to celebrate Karin, because she celebrated her 27th birthday again!! We ended the evening with a drink in our hands and singing to her in 7 different languages. How more MFC can it get? 

A big shout out to all the people I got to spend these wonderful two days with. My heart is full, not only because of the Mika gig and being part of the Tiktok video, but also because of what a wonderful community we have. I thoroughly enjoyed my time, made amazing memories and I can’t wait for next time. Alla prossima! A bientôt! See you soon!

Edited by holdingyourdrink
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

You got him up and close!!! I was already wondering if he would be in your row!! That’s amazing, haha! 

We couldn't believe it when we saw him appear right behind us!!! My heart rate still hasn't recovered!

Thank you again for the tickets, it was the most amazing and unbelievable evening! We are still buzzing and already thinking about the next one :lustslow:

• Like 6

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

My heart is still full and it will be for a good while, but after a good chunk of sleep my head isn’t so blurry anymore (in the best way!), so I decided to write my report to give you an impression of the gig and everything around it.

Arrived at Cheltenham after 10pm together with Karin and Chiara (who was in a different hotel and hurried off to check in). After we all arrived in our accommodation together with last roomie Bea, Karin saw an IG story of Vincent Bidal (Karin pronounces it the English way, I the French way, so we confused eachother as to whom we were talking about, haha!) saying that they were in the studio that evening. After Googling “recording studio” we figured out it was just three houses down from us! So of course we took a walk, only to see it looked very much closed for the day. On our walk back we were wondering “But why a recording studio? Was Vincent recording something, or Mika?”

The next day we (Karin, Bea and myself) met up for coffee and a walk with Nina, Marion, Gabry and Manuela. We decided to go for a stroll around the festival grounds, since it would partly be already open it being part of a public park. On our stroll we walked past Max and Wouter who were doing the same in the opposite direction, greeted them and continued our walk. 

For lunch we met up with more MFCers, we were a group of about 10 now and Italian, French, English and German was spoken simultaneously. I just sat back and smiled at the scene, typically MFC in the best possible way!

Later in the afternoon we wanted to try our luck to see if we would see Mika enter the venue. Lo and behold, we did! He was so kind to roll down the window and greet us, signed things and even took a quick selfie with a fan, then rushed inside to get ready for soundcheck. We also saw Andy and Adam arriving with him and waved. 

The big top being a big circus tent, we knew we would be able to hear the soundcheck really well, so hung around and enjoyed the pre-gig sounds. Suddenly we heard “Feels like Fire” and wondered: will Mika sing this by himself?

Since we hung around on festival grounds before the gig, we noticed Andy and Adam running around with a tripod and filming things. We had a lovely chat with both of them and they even asked 10-15 MFCers to take part of the filming! They immediately disclosed that it was for Tiktok and that it was for the Wes Anderson trend that was going around now. We all enjoyed being part it. First part is already on Mika’s Instagram and Tiktok for those who haven’t checked it out yet. 

The gig: it being a jazz audience, we already noticed that they were a dormant audience. But who can you stay seated during a Mika gig?? There were about 10 MFCers in the front of the stalls and some more in the middle and back. It was hard for us to remain seated, so we got up and dance, much to the delight of Mika and the band I’m sure. 

Afterwards the people around me told me how much they enjoyed the gig and they thought it was wonderful we got up and danced, because after that they didn’t feel so shy anymore to do the same. 

So after 4 or so songs (Lollipop, Origin of Love, Big Girl and Icecream I believe), Mika suddenly had a surprise for us. He told us that he had a guest from South Africa, none other than Nomfundo Moh! Us MFCers got really excited. The story with the studio made sense now: they rehearsed for the very first time in person in the studio. Recording of the album and communication had only been online so far. So this was also very exciting for Mika and Nomfundo. They performed Feels Like Fire and a cover of a Harry Belafonte and Miriam Makeba. It was bittersweet, since Harry Belafonte had just passed away the day before. So they dedicated the song not only to him, but to all artists who inspire us and allow us to dream.  I have included three clips of their performance, with Mika introducing Nomfundo. 

IMG_6029.MOV 161.28 MB · 0 downloads   IMG_6030.MOV 265.77 MB · 0 downloads   IMG_6031.MOV 398.88 MB · 0 downloads  

Mika was his charming, witty, energetic and melodic self and the public ate it all up! By the end of the show everyone was standing up, clapping, jumping and dancing. Everyone had a huge smile on their face and on our way to the exit, we only heard words like “amazing”, “astonishing”, “energetic”, “great show” and just how much they enjoyed their evening. 

We rushed to the backstage exit, to get a glimpse of Mika. And yes: he did come out and signed many things with a big smile on his face. He was very happy and so were we! At the end we even had a group picture together. It was the perfect ending of the evening with him. 

After the show we still had one more thing on our wish list: to celebrate Karin, because she celebrated her 27th birthday again!! We ended the evening with a drink in our hands and singing to her in 7 different languages. How more MFC can it get? 

A big shout out to all the people I got to spend these wonderful two days with. My heart is full, not only because of the Mika gig and being part of the Tiktok video, but also because of what a wonderful community we have. I thoroughly enjoyed my time, made amazing memories and I can’t wait for next time. Alla prossima! A bientôt! See you soon!

Thanks for all the details! So glad for Mika

( and audience) that the show went so well 😊

• Like 3

Hello everyone,

I guess, the after-concert high is slowly fading away, so now is a good time to write my very first report here!

The concert was amazing! I had an aisle seat in the middle of the stalls, and the view was alright!

I was afraid to stand up and annoy the people behind so I managed to stay on my seat for the first 2 songs, but when Mika came back on stage and started singing Big Girl after having changed his suit, I only sat back for the slower songs and spent most of my time dancing and jumping on the aisle with the lady that was in front of me.

It was such a surprise to hear Mika introduce Nomfundo and then to hear Feels Like Fire live! When the soundtrack was released, I tended to listen more to the orchestra version, but since Wednesday, I'm listening to the duet version on loop! The cover of One More Dance, was as silly as it was beautiful and everyone at least chuckled once or twice.

Then, Mika sang Billy Brown and Popular Song, two songs I had never heard before, becoming a fan in 2016 and going to my first Mika concert in 2020. That was really exciting since I was really hoping to hear Billy Brown live!

Mika walked through the crowd twice, during Big Girl and during Underwater, walking in between the seats of the row right behind me and three rows back, that was really nice as well.

Despite having said that the piano wasn't stable enough for him to sit on it, he somehow did some gym exercises at the beginning of Yo Yo, typical of Mika!

When Mika played the first notes of Grace Kelly on the piano, seeing only two people in the front row dancing in the aisle, I thought there was an opportunity to take. So I gestured to the lady who was dancing with me to come with me at the front, although she was hesitant at first, she came along and during the next three songs, we would make eye contact and smile at each other, she clearly had a great time. I skipped to go near the front of the stage and someone from security immediately sat on the stairs, I guess they thought I would try to go on stage, which made me laugh. Then more people joined in and everyone was having fun!

After the concert, Mika was kind enough to come and see us even though many people were pushy...It was my very first time talking with Mika and I will obviously never forget that moment. These 10 seconds really felt like a dream come true. I was beyond happy! (I still am)

I would also like to thank everyone I met and talked to, whether it was a long conversation or just a few words, I appreciated all of it.

I had seen most of you before at concerts and at the recording of The Piano, but we never exchanged more than a few words as I tend to not talk much and isolate myself. The morning of the concert I was anxious about meeting you lot at the restaurant as I didn't want to intrude, but I decided that it was time for me to properly introduce myself (I created my MFC account in 2017...). So I got out of my comfort zone and as we say, the first step was the hardest. You made me feel very welcome and it was fun getting to know who is behind these instagram accounts I've known for years. I can't think of the concert without thinking about the time we spent together and you definitely contributed to make this memory even more special! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I look forward to seeing you again!

Emma :)

edit: If anyone recorded the moment when Mika said "Are you sure?" after I asked him if he could write Origin of Love, I would love to see it (just to have a visual memory to look back at, although the memory in itself is more than enough). <3

Edited by EmmAcarena
  • Like 13

Hi everyone👋

That was an absolutely fantastic gig. They are all so different - and this one certainly was! 
It was nice to see some MFCers before the gig and have a chat. I was with my friend Donna/ her first ever Mika gig. It was absolutely amazing to see how much she enjoyed it! But I’m not surprised! When Mika chose the row behind us and the row in front of us to do his walks through the audience we were ecstatic 🤩. I got the opportunity to have a brief ‘moment’ with Mika as he passed by- which even after all these years- still totally blows me away. 🤣🥰👍🤩

The gig itself was fantastic- perfect for the audience. Donna didn’t know a lot of the songs but was still able to sing along! 

Donna managed to get some close ups- I thought I had but was obviously slobbering too much because mine didn’t work! 🤣

sorry - my technical skills are no better than they ever were and the photos seem to have multiplied! 1057D6D0-06B3-4827-892E-E29B0BA4068F.thumb.jpeg.5e0f3cfea8c392c95fdc61b8966edc12.jpeg7061FFC3-1BBC-4D9A-9D99-E5EDFE3A2069.thumb.jpeg.18de228a52612e9dd7c491ceb0beca93.jpeg47C4E167-1DE1-4213-BF1D-AF1CA8D731F6.thumb.jpeg.6a7ead2af3397686c8cea1070f04ee61.jpeg

56810362-9DED-47BA-BCBA-CB74C4398264.jpeg

A29AAF5C-87F3-4676-B04C-4101FBB0B135.jpeg

ECB8A9F1-AF1C-4F4F-AF9F-FBA20C3E073A.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1