Apocalypse Calypso Tour setlist discussions

krysady

35 minutes ago, Vero Bott said:

Honestly, I'm sad about it and I don't quite get it - people knew that the new album is in French and they were still selling out the tour dates so why is Mika scared to sing the new French songs outside France (if all of them are really out)? šŸ˜” Are we gonna get a festival setlist with Apocalypso stage props? Mika, mais pourquoi? šŸ˜­Ā 

And I mean, don't get me wrong, I love his festival setlists and I would enjoy the show immensely no matter the setlist, but it just feel like - why to do it now when he's got a new album full of great songs?Ā :dunno:Ā  Well, hoping for at least a few comebacksĀ :crossed:Ā 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Perdchen said:

I wonder why Mika skipped Talk about you in Amsterdam. I mean, it's not even in French and I was so happy to see it on the setlist. I don't love QTTFT as much as most old albums but i would still have hoped for the new classics C'est la vie and Jane Birkin as they are also wonderful singalong songs for non French speaking audiences. However I'm very happy that Good Guys and Billy Brown are back :)

Ā 

He didn't skip Talk about you. I saw several videos where he is singing that one.Ā 

• Thanks 1

For Jane Birkin especially, you don't need to know any French, even less than for EMD, to sing "la, la, la, la, la, la laaa". I was so looking forward to hear the crowd singing that in Berlin and have them go home with that part stuck in their head. It reminds me of the la la la part in the party version of "I will survive", and whole beer tents full of people are singing that here! Well, ok, in Munich - idk about Berlin... but really, a strong singalong line like that is absolutely independent of what language the rest of the song is in.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, mellody said:

For Jane Birkin especially, you don't need to know any French, even less than for EMD, to sing "la, la, la, la, la, la laaa". I was so looking forward to hear the crowd singing that in Berlin and have them go home with that part stuck in their head. It reminds me of the la la la part in the party version of "I will survive", and whole beer tents full of people are singing that here! Well, ok, in Munich - idk about Berlin... but really, a strong singalong line like that is absolutely independent of what language the rest of the song is in.

I can see we had similar thoughts!Ā :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lormare73 said:

Ā 

He didn't skip Talk about you. I saw several videos where he is singing that one.Ā 

Oh, okay, then it is just missing on setlist.fmĀ  :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mellody said:

it would be almost like the 2015 setlist again - why?!

Yes, I feel exactly the same!Ā :sad:

• Like 1

I was thinking that now he could even perform Ready To Call This Love having Jack Savoretti on the back screen, like he does for Feels Like Fire. He never performed that song live.... so many beautiful songs, and he's keeping Big GirlĀ :doh:

• Like 3

I absolutely agree with you all. As a rather new German fan, I am ofc excited to hear a lot of the classics as I've never heard them live before. And I'm sure it's going to be an amazing concert, regardless of the exact setlist.

Nevertheless, I must admit I don't understand the Amsterdam setlist ... It really seems like he and his team might underestimate the audiences in non-French speaking countries. It was promoted as a tour for his new French album, so surely many people who bought tickets knew that there would be at least 4-5 French songs (even if they don't necessarily understand the language), especially as AC is the name of the entire international tour...

Even if he wanted to drop the French songs altogether, several lesser known English songs come to mind that would fit in very nicely with the overall theme of "Club Apocalypso" as some of you already said (Last Party, Tomorrow, Promiseland, maybe even Overrated and Who's gonna love me now?). Happy Ending, Any Other World and Love Today are excellent choices in this context, but Rain, Billy Brown or Lollipop seem less on topic imo.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the show and just hope he feels comfortable with whatever songs he picks. :)Ā Ā Ā 
Ā 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MissMagpie said:

but Rain, Billy Brown or Lollipop seem less on topic imo.

And I absolutely agree with you!

• Like 1

Ā 

4 hours ago, MissMagpie said:

but Rain, Billy Brown or Lollipop seem less on topic imo.

The choice to not include French songs was such a shame, but I do understand why he would add Billy Brown and Good Guys in Amsterdam: Amsterdam is a Pride capital, the first to marry same-sex couples AND the Netherlands is the first country to legalize it. It may sound far fetched, but being Amsterdam born, I understood the reference and in my mind he customized it for this city.Ā 

(I may be way off of courseĀ :biggrin2:Ā we never know with him!)
Ā 

Does it fit the Apocalypse theme? I think it does in a way. If all comes to an end, we should love and love freely.Ā 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Ā 

The choice to not include French songs was such a shame, but I do understand why he would add Billy Brown and Good Guys in Amsterdam: Amsterdam is a Pride capital, the first to marry same-sex couples AND the Netherlands is the first country to legalize it. It may sound far fetched, but being Amsterdam born, I understood the reference and in my mind he customized it for this city.Ā 

(I may be way off of courseĀ :biggrin2:Ā we never know with him!)

Love this thought. It hadnā€™t crossed my mind, but this could have influenced the song choice of course.

Ā 

The songs I mentioned still donā€™t really fit the AC concept for me, but I like the idea that he might pick individual songs with a nod to the city or country. Iā€™ll keep my fingers crossed for Rio in Berlin thenĀ :naughty:Ā (I know, I know ā€¦ not going to happenĀ :lol3:)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Anna Ko Kolkowska said:

And C'est la vie!

Ā 

I actually wanted to post that in the setlist discussions, not in the fanactions. :doh:Ā Moving it there now.

• Like 2

According to

www.setlist.fm

1. Bougez
  2. Apocalypse Calypso
  3. Talk About You
  4. Sweetie banana
  5. Feels Like Fire
  6. Underwater
  7. Relax (Take It Easy)
  8. Yo Yo
  9. Jane Birkin
  10. Good Guys
  11. Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)
  12. Elle me dit
  13. 30 seconds
  14. Grace Kelly
  15. C'est la Vie
  16. Happy Ending
  17. Love Today
  18. Any Other World
  19. We Are Golden
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

According to

www.setlist.fm

1. Bougez
  2. Apocalypse Calypso
  3. Talk About You
  4. Sweetie banana
  5. Feels Like Fire
  6. Underwater
  7. Relax (Take It Easy)
  8. Yo Yo
  9. Jane Birkin
  10. Good Guys
  11. Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)
  12. Elle me dit
  13. 30 seconds
  14. Grace Kelly
  15. C'est la Vie
  16. Happy Ending
  17. Love Today
  18. Any Other World
  19. We Are Golden

Ā 

Ā 

So actually he kept the French setlist just switching Moi Andy et Pari with Good Guys.

• Like 2

Mika did NONE of his new french songs in Wolverhampton last night, in fact the ONLY French song he did was Elle me Dit and he could have easily sang Emily in its place.Ā  Plus it was such a small venue there was no white piano, he said he couldn't get it in the venue. So he just pretended to play a piano, which was pretty funny

• Like 2

On 3/30/2024 at 8:53 PM, MissMagpie said:

Love this thought. It hadnā€™t crossed my mind, but this could have influenced the song choice of course.

I was totally off, he wanted to include it in the setlist for the non-francophone countries anywayĀ :lol3:Ā I love the songs live, I prefer them over the studio version. (Actually, to be honest, I prefer all of his songs liveĀ :biggrin2:)

Ā 

Now seeing that he doesnā€™t include his new French songs in the current setlist for the UK/Ireland of the tour, makes it extra special he included Jane Birkin in Berlin. And the reception by the German audience was amazing!!Ā 
I hope he will include it in London though, after all, Jane Birkin was born in London! Itā€™s like bringing her home in such a poetic way ā¤ļø

• Like 7

Thinking about it more - I think itā€™s actually a smart move to do a setlist with ā€œoldiesā€ in the UK. He hasnā€™t been there for the longest time (outside of London, besides performing at Cheltenham Jazz last year) and I think itā€™s a good move to get reacquainted with the UK audience. Once he will have a new predominantly English album out in the future, Iā€™m sure he will benefit from it.Ā 
Ā 

Also, looking at the concert videos from the last two shows; he is having a really good time and so is the audience! That is what matters!Ā 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mellody said:

So only 16 songs then? :blink:Ā It's getting less and less... :tears:

Maybe his voice is getting more tired and he needs to save it in some way? After so many shows, he will need a lot of vocal rest for the symphonic concert.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Lunari said:

Yeah, he could have definitely done Bougez without the cage, and I really like your laser lights idea. I have to admit that OOL was also a great opener though, and the crowd reacted very well to it.

Ā 

Yep, only 16 songs, unfortunately. I kind of understand why he does older songs though: I had a place where I could see most of the crowd, and I definitely got the impression that their response to older hits like Lollipop was much more enthusiastic than to newer songs (like Feels Like Fire or Yo Yo). When he did Elle me dit, he almost apologized for it, saying that this was the only French song he would do (and then he had a long talk in English in the middle of the song, basically explaining the meaning of the lyrics). As much as we would all like to hear all the new French songs, I don't think the general UK audience would be as impressed by them.

Ā 

Of course they react more to songs they know well, it's like that for every artist. That's why you mix old and new songs at a gig. But Mika translated Bougez to English anyway. And does he really want people to come to his gigs just for Nostalgia of the good old times?! One of the French journalists called him a "has-been" in one of the articles. I absolutely disagree, his songs are getting better and better over the years, and there is so much more to him than people realize. But with a setlist like that, sorry, that's what he brings across. That's not "may your head always bloom". He is hiding his potential. I know he's more for understatement than showing off what he can do, but imo he's taking it a bit too far now. I'll enjoy his gigs anyway, that's for sure, but it makes me sad that he doesn't show more to his UK audience what an amazing and versatile artist he is. Maybe you're right that they don't want to hear the French songs, their loss... but if he even just added a few songs of MNIMH, like Tiny Love - he did it at his UK gigs last year and at the London gigs over the years as well, and people loved it. I just don't get it. :dunno:

Ā 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Lunari said:

When he did Elle me dit, he almost apologized for it, saying that this was the only French song he would do (and then he had a long talk in English in the middle of the song, basically explaining the meaning of the lyrics). As much as we would all like to hear all the new French songs, I don't think the general UK audience would be as impressed by them.

This makes me feel incredibly sadā€¦Ā 

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, mellody said:

but if he even just added a few songs of MNIMH, like Tiny Love - he did it at his UK gigs last year and at the London gigs over the years as well, and people loved it. I just don't get it. :dunno:

Ā 

While it's somehow understandable about the French songs being left out for UK, ( yet I don't get why EMD it's still there, he has way more good French songs to insert into the setlist), I agree with you. I don't get why he's not performing some of his more recent English songs, reallyĀ :doh:Ā It is HIS tour not festivals, he should try to promote more of his new musicĀ :sad:.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mellody said:

Maybe you're right that they don't want to hear the French songs, their loss... but if he even just added a few songs of MNIMH, like Tiny Love - he did it at his UK gigs last year and at the London gigs over the years as well, and people loved it. I just don't get it. :dunno:

Ā 

That's a very good point and something I would love to see as well. I mean, maybe he thought he covered the new songs by adding Yo Yo and Feels Like Fire, but I really don't think the Yo Yo remix is a good representation of his more recent music.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Thinking about it more - I think itā€™s actually a smart move to do a setlist with ā€œoldiesā€ in the UK. He hasnā€™t been there for the longest time (outside of London, besides performing at Cheltenham Jazz last year) and I think itā€™s a good move to get reacquainted with the UK audience. Once he will have a new predominantly English album out in the future, Iā€™m sure he will benefit from it.Ā 
Ā 

Also, looking at the concert videos from the last two shows; he is having a really good time and so is the audience! That is what matters!Ā 

Ā 

I kept thinking about the setlist too and I also came to the conclusion there must be a bigger plan. I might not understand his reasoning but still.. the only hypothesis I came up with is that he is picking up where he has left to reconnect with het UK. Then he will be able to make a big entrance next year with his new english album.Ā 

I still don't like it :mad3:but I respect his choices as well as the fact that he is an expert in these things and I'm not.Ā 

And now when I read back I realise that you wrote exactly the same thing but your words areĀ much more refinedĀ :lmfao:

• Like 2