Apocalypse Calypso Tour setlist discussions

krysady

6 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

He hasn’t been there for the longest time (outside of London, besides performing at Cheltenham Jazz last year)

Cheltenham, Bristol and Isle of Wight. And he played at least Tiny Love there (also Ice Cream iirc), it wasn't a setlist full of old songs. He even brought Nomfundo to Cheltenham, to perform a song that was completely new to the UK audience, with African words in it that no one understands. Now why exactly can't he do a few of the new French songs on his new tour named after a new song on his new album?! :dunno:

I think I'll move my post from the Wolverhampton thread here too, it's always so tempting to discuss the setlist changes on the reports thread of the gig where they happened, but I guess it's better to keep those detailed discussions here.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

It has certainly been interesting having seen some of the shows in France, and now the show in Wolverhampton. I had like most people here, really expected for at least a few of the newest french songs to be included even in England. But seeing the show now still feels very familiar even with the different songs, and of course the show is incredibly well done regardless of the setlist, and the crowd at large seems to love it, which is the most important thing.

Though I've got my fingers crossed for at least one or two of the french songs in Manchester tomorrow night :pray:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, krysady said:

While it's somehow understandable about the French songs being left out for UK, ( yet I don't get why EMD it's still there, he has way more good French songs to insert into the setlist)

While he has to sing EMD in France and Belgium because it was very popular , I don't get what he doesn't sing " C'est la vie" in other countries instead .

And he was used to sing BBB as well in the past , so I think there is some place for another new song 

Not that I want to promote my own langage  .........but in some interview he said that he was very happy that other countries asked him for some dates even if it was a tour made for French speaking people.

So why did he change his mind ??????:dunno:

• Like 9

19 hours ago, carafon said:

While he has to sing EMD in France and Belgium because it was very popular , I don't get what he doesn't sing " C'est la vie" in other countries instead .

And he was used to sing BBB as well in the past , so I think there is some place for another new song 

Not that I want to promote my own langage  .........but in some interview he said that he was very happy that other countries asked him for some dates even if it was a tour made for French speaking people.

So why did he change his mind ??????:dunno:

I wonder if maybe it really is like @krysady says and he's exhausted from the long tour? He played Rain and Popular song at some of the other gigs - he could have played those instead, if he didn't want to sing in French, but he didn't. Maybe he realized that a setlist of 16 or 17 songs is his limit. :dunno: I guess if it's enough for the audience in the venue, he doesn't feel like he has to do more than necessary. 

Anyway, I do hope for some French songs in London at least, it's not a place where he hasn't been for ages. :dunno_grin:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mellody said:

I wonder if maybe it really is like @krysady says and he's exhausted from the long tour? He played Rain and Popular song at some of the other gigs - he could have played those instead, if he didn't want to sing in French, but he didn't. Maybe he realized that a setlist of 16 or 17 songs is his limit. :dunno: I guess if it's enough for the audience in the venue, he doesn't feel like he has to do more than necessary. 

I don't know if skipping a song or two actually makes a show that much shorter, since he talks a lot in between and repeats choruses many times while engaging with the audience, so most songs end up being much longer live than their studio versions are. The show in Wolverhampton definitely didn't feel short to me (it lasted about 2 hours). But I do think @krysady's theory about trying to protect his voice has merit: when he came out after the show, he didn't speak and he only communicated with hand gestures (as he's done quite a few times in the past when he also wanted to protect his voice more than usual). 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, mellody said:

But it doesn't explain why  EMD instead of any new song  :dunno:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carafon said:

But it doesn't explain why  EMD instead of any new song  :dunno:

It's his sweet revenge. "Oh, you heckled me for singing EMD? Guess which French song is the only one I'll ever play here." :lol3:

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Hero said:

It's his sweet revenge. "Oh, you heckled me for singing EMD? Guess which French song is the only one I'll ever play here." :lol3:

While I wouldn't put something like this past Mika, he was heckled for Boum Boum Boum rather than EMD, so I don't think this explanation quite works :wink2: 

2 minutes ago, Lunari said:

While I wouldn't put something like this past Mika, he was heckled for Boum Boum Boum rather than EMD, so I don't think this explanation quite works :wink2: 

Oops... :baghead::lol3:

2 minutes ago, Hero said:

Oops... :baghead::lol3:

I probably wouldn't have remembered the song if I hadn't been at that gig. :lol3:

• Haha 1

I was also hoping for more French songs in Berlin. I don't even speak French but I really like the new album and I don't think you have to know the language to enjoy the music. If he is afraid people wouldn't understand at all what he is singing, he could have made English translation of the songs and show them behind him on the screen so everyone would get an idea about the meaning of the lyrics. I'm quite disappointed that he is playing it so safe lately with his setlist, singing mostly songs from his first album. It makes the general impression he doesn't have any new songs to offer which simply isn't true! I was very happy to hear Billy Brown or Any Other World, but 8 songs from LICM (at least in Berlin) it's too much imho. It's almost half of the gig! Then only WAG (1) from TBWKTM; OOL, UW and EMD (3) from TOOL; TAY and GG (2) from NPIH (I'm actually glad he is singing songs from my favourite album again because he used to ignore it); nothing at all from MNIMH; Bougez and JB (2) from QTTFT + Feels Like Fire and Yoyo remix (which I don't like tbh :mf_rosetinted:). That means 12 of 18 songs are from 2012 or older; 14 of 18 songs are from 2015 or older... Considering it's a new tour for a new album, it's really sad. Maybe his goal is to reconnect with people who only know his major hits but will these people search for his new music if they only hear the same old songs during the gig? They will probably think there aren't any new songs worth listening if Mika doesn't even play them live. His gig will rather be a throwback for them, a nostalgic trip to the past, not a reconnection with an artist who has still so much to offer. It doesn't make sense to me and I really hope it will change soon... :pray:

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Like 10

44 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

His gig will rather be a throwback for them, a nostalgic trip to the past

That's exactly what several people told me after the Berlin gig. They enjoyed that trip to the past, but I'm sure they wouldn't have minded to hear a few new songs as well. Maybe it'll make them buy tickets for the summer gigs, at least... :dunno:

• Like 4

Again, no Bougez in Manchester. :no: He played Popular Song, so it was 17 songs.

Seems the atmosphere at the gig was great and also Mika enjoyed it a lot. Maybe he himself needs the nostalgia, who knows. :dunno:

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, mellody said:

Maybe he himself needs the nostalgia, who knows. :dunno:

I don't know but isn't it more fun for an artist to present their new stuff than repeating the same for 15+ years? I'm rather thinking he must be a bit tired of the LICM songs already. I would be for sure and I heard other artists saying they are often tired of their most played songs, sometimes they even hate them. I don't think that's Mika's case but I also don't think he enjoys it all the time. I don't want him to stop playing them at all, I just wish for a more balanced setlist with songs from all his albums including French songs because it's a big part of him. A setlist where he would show himself as an artist evolving from his first album until now, showing the different stages of his discography. Not a setlist only for people who seek nostalgia and who want to see the Mika from 2007, but a setlist for people who want to see Mika as an artist with a long career who still has something new to offer. Maybe he can tour even smaller venues for such a tour but it would be a nice gift for his fans because currently, his main focus is on the "general public" and not on his fans when he is creating his setlist imo.

• Like 8

One more random thought that came to my mind - last year I've been to a Fall Out Boy concert. It's a band that also started in the 2000s but they still bring out new albums. They currently have 8 studio albums and most of their major hits are also from the older ones. But there was one thing I really liked about their tour and I wished Mika had the same idea for one of his tours - there was one part of the show they called "Magic 8 Ball". Each gig, they played one surprise song during this part - a song they have never played live or they haven't played in a really long time. I was thinking it's so cool for the fans who have been to many gigs to hear a rare song on every show. Imagine Mika doing it, I would love that!

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, giraffeandy said:

One more random thought that came to my mind - last year I've been to a Fall Out Boy concert. It's a band that also started in the 2000s but they still bring out new albums. They currently have 8 studio albums and most of their major hits are also from the older ones. But there was one thing I really liked about their tour and I wished Mika had the same idea for one of his tours - there was one part of the show they called "Magic 8 Ball". Each gig, they played one surprise song during this part - a song they have never played live or they haven't played in a really long time. I was thinking it's so cool for the fans who have been to many gigs to hear a rare song on every show. Imagine Mika doing it, I would love that!

Yes, that'd be awesome. Or like Bryan Adams, he has a certain point in his setlist where fans hold up banners with songs they'd like to hear, and he picks 2 or 3 of those to sing them. 

About Bougez, maybe he couldn't get his wings fixed anymore and that's why he has dropped it? :tears: Hopefully they can fix them until London tomorrow!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mellody said:

Or like Bryan Adams, he has a certain point in his setlist where fans hold up banners with songs they'd like to hear, and he picks 2 or 3 of those to sing them. 

Yes but for Mika, I think it would be better to prepare and learn the lyrics before... :teehee: 

Even though it was nice when he decided to sing Love You When I'm Drunk in Zurich, I think it would be a bit stressful for him doing this every gig. :lol3:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, giraffeandy said:

Yes but for Mika, I think it would be better to prepare and learn the lyrics before... :teehee: 

Even though it was nice when he decided to sing Love You When I'm Drunk in Zurich, I think it would be a bit stressful for him doing this every gig. :lol3:

True that. :teehee: He says he likes to be destabilized, but atm it seems he prefers to stay in his comfort zone. So let's stay humble, it would be nice to hear some songs of the last 2 albums. :dunno_grin:

The UK tour may have a partnership with the French tourism office and festivals .....:naughty:

Btw was the new album available at the merch in the concerts where he didn't sing any new song ?

Maybe he prefers that people discover the new songs without him :teehee:

More seriously .....maybe the people who asked him for shows in these countries didn't realised first that it was to promote a French album and asked him afterwards to adjust the playlist ?

Edited by carafon

20 minutes ago, carafon said:

More seriously .....maybe the people who asked him for shows in these countries didn't realised first that it was to promote a French album ans asked him afterwards to adjust the playlist ?

If that would be the case, then there is something wrong with the world. 

Whatever the reasoning behind it is and from whom, I think we can all agree that it’s a real shame we don’t hear any songs of MNIMH and QTTFT… 

• Like 11

32 minutes ago, carafon said:

Btw was the new album available at the merch in the concerts where he didn't sing any new song ?

Maybe he prefers that people discover the new songs without him :teehee:

Yes, in Berlin you could buy both the CD and the vinyl. He did sing at least Jane Birkin though... :teehee: But I still found it a bit ironic that he is selling all this merch and playing mostly songs from his very first album. 

Edited by giraffeandy
  • Like 6

This may not be the spot for this question but it is setlist related, just not Mikas own songs lol.

can someone make a list of the songs that are played before the support act and show start? I wanted to make a list, but my shazam doesn’t work anymore because my mic is kinda dead, so Siri doesn’t hear me when I ask her something.. :naughty: She must hate me.

But I loved the list and it’ll be a perfect match with the concert setlist for a fun listen session. We don’t have many gigs left, so I’m begging haha

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maaikie... said:

This may not be the spot for this question but it is setlist related, just not Mikas own songs lol.

can someone make a list of the songs that are played before the support act and show start? I wanted to make a list, but my shazam doesn’t work anymore because my mic is kinda dead, so Siri doesn’t hear me when I ask her something.. :naughty: She must hate me.

But I loved the list and it’ll be a perfect match with the concert setlist for a fun listen session. We don’t have many gigs left, so I’m begging haha

I don't know if the "setlist" was the same in every country , but for the French venues , I'm sure of these 2 ones :

There was a coldplay song as well , but can't remember which one

Edited by carafon
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, carafon said:

I don't know if the "setlist" was the same in every country , but for the French venues , I'm sure of these 2 ones :

There was a coldplay song as well , but can't remember which one

And Ace of Base All That She Wants.

• Like 1

Also 99 Luftballons by Nena and Save your Tears by The Weeknd

In London Mika played Bougez (in English), EMD as the only French song, and Popular Song in addition to the others.

His wings broke again, so I fear it might have been the last time we've seen them. :tears:

• Sad 4