2024 - Berlin: meetup and cake/flowers for Mika

Can't wait for all your postings from Berlin !!!!:pbjt:

SETLIST

1. Bougez (with English lyrics)

2. Origin of Love

3. Talk About You

4. Lollipop

5. Feels Like Fire

6. Underwater (Mika invited the crowd to sing along)

7. Relax (Take It Easy)

8. Yo Yo (R3HAB Remix)

9. Jane Birkin

10. Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) Mika in the crowd

11. Elle me dit

12. Good Guys

13. Billy Brown (on the piano)

14. Grace Kelly (on the piano; with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' intro)

15. Happy Ending

16. Love Today

Encore:

17. Any Other World

18. We Are Golden

VIDEOS

MIKA

mikainstagram stories 4298384 :mika3:

@mellody  4298515

@Anna Ko Kolkowska YouTube

@Romy04 YouTube

YouTube Channel LizzyGMusic

YouTube Channel Ron

REPORTS

@Péhl Tamás 4298275

@Lilla 4298287

@Gintare 4298288

@Vedrana 4298289

@Lexa 4298341

@MissPie 4298349

@EmRay 4298427

@MFC_Hasi 4298433

@holdingyourdrink 4298434

@mellody 4298474

@Littlelady 4298510

@Tanja Moulton 4298561

@MissMagpie  4298561

PHOTOS

@MFC_Hasi  4298433

@Vero Bott  4298502

PRESS

Getty images mika-performs-at-tempodrom-berlin/

Der Tagesspiegel  4298381

Edited by Kumazzz
update
  • Like 3

Tonight's setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/mika/2024/tempodrom-berlin-germany-13aa4101.html

The show was incredible, we got the UK setlist but with Jane Birkin instead of Rain and everyone was really happy to hear a new song outside France as well 🤩 In addition, Tim was there at the sound mixing desk watching and overviewing the show as the musical director and Andy was there watching the show as well. I'll write more later.

Edited by Péhl Tamás
  • Like 10

33 minutes ago, Péhl Tamás said:

Thanks a lot @Péhl Tamás

• 1. Bougez (with English lyrics)
  • 2. Origin of Love
  • 3. Talk About You
  • 4. Lollipop
  • 5. Feels Like Fire
  • 6. Underwater (Mika invited the crowd to sing along)
  • 7. Relax (Take It Easy)
  • 8. Yo Yo (R3HAB Remix)
  • 9. Jane Birkin
  • 10. Big Girl (You Are Beautiful) Mika in the crowd
  • 11. Elle me dit
  • 12. Good Guys
  • 13. Billy Brown (on the piano)
  • 14. Grace Kelly (on the piano; with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star' intro)
  • 15. Happy Ending
  • 16. Love Today

Encore:

• 17. Any Other World
  • 18. We Are Golden

Tehu's Theme

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@Péhl Tamás

Hi! It's good too see other Hungarians there! The show was amaaaazing! Mika mentioned that mad, jumping man. Was it a specific person, or he was just aimed at the whole audience? I loved the songs. It was weird, because he just sang two songs from Que ta téte fleurisse tojours, and Apocalypse Calypso, (the tour's name) wasn't there. I love Mika, and that communications with the fans was brilliant. It was my first concert, and I adored every minute.

(I'm gonna upload all the pics in the morning, if they're not really blurred) 

Where did Andy sat? I was looking for him, but didn't saw.

Edited by Lilla
  • Like 7

44 minutes ago, Lilla said:

It was weird, because he just sang two songs from Que ta téte fleurisse tojours, and Apocalypse Calypso, (the tour's name) wasn't there.

I feel the same way... I think months before any variant of other setlists were available I had a bit of different expectations for selection of songs for the show🥹 Don't mean to sound ungrateful in any way though!! I just need to get my thoughts together to share the amazing experience of this night, will try to do that once I get more rest! Hope everyone else had fun as well🥰

• Like 2

Hello everyone 🙂Did he go out at the end? I mean outside the venue, for some little meet&great. I waited maybe one hour, had to leave because of transport to home. Show was great, we had such a good time. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vedrana said:

Hello everyone 🙂Did he go out at the end? I mean outside the venue, for some little meet&great. I waited maybe one hour, had to leave because of transport to home. Show was great, we had such a good time. 

No, he left through an entrance on the other side and we didn't notice. Someone who saw him told us he wanted to meet his fans but couldn't because of the trucks. Shame, but it was lovely of him to post about our gifts. :wub2:

• Like 10
  • Sad 1

Getty images

https://www.gettyimages.ca/editorial-images/entertainment/event/mika-performs-at-tempodrom-berlin/776128108?

DEU: Mika Performs At Tempodrom, Berlin

16 images

BERLIN, GERMANY - APRIL 02:
Lebanese-British singer Mika performs live on stage during a concert at the Tempodrom on April 2, 2024 in Berlin, Germany.
(Photo by Frank Hoensch/Getty Images)

mika-performs-at-tempodrom-berlin.webp?s

mika-performs-at-tempodrom-berlin.jpg?s=

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Lilla said:

@Péhl Tamás

Hi! It's good too see other Hungarians there! The show was amaaaazing! Mika mentioned that mad, jumping man. Was it a specific person, or he was just aimed at the whole audience? I loved the songs. It was weird, because he just sang two songs from Que ta téte fleurisse tojours, and Apocalypse Calypso, (the tour's name) wasn't there. I love Mika, and that communications with the fans was brilliant. It was my first concert, and I adored every minute.

(I'm gonna upload all the pics in the morning, if they're not really blurred) 

szia, Lilla 😊 tbf, I expected the UK setlist like it was in Amsterdam, without any new french songs, so hearing Jane Birkin was a nice surprise (which is also my favourite song on the new album) 🤩 the mad jumping man was - if I saw that correctly - a young boy in the standing area, who really was jumping 😂😂

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Lilla said:

@Péhl Tamás

Andy sat in the top ring (sector 13) with Adam, then they disappeared and Andy came back after a few songs; and Tim was with the sound enginieers in the middle of the standing area (wearing his signature hat as always).

Edited by Péhl Tamás
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Péhl Tamás said:

Andy sat in the top ring (sector 13) with Adam, then they disappeared and Andy came back after a few songs; and Tim was with the sound enginieers in the middle of the standing area (wearing his signature hat as always).

Sorry was Andy the guy with a dark (maybe black) t shirt? So Happy to see Mika working with Tim 💚

• Like 2

Oh I really loved this concert. :lustslow: And I loved that the whole audience seemed to like it that much and Mika seemd quite happy about it. So good to see! Also I enjoyed it so much to have a concert in English again after years. It's just another connection for the non French speaking people, for me it was absolutely a different feeling than in the French concerts.

I'm so happy I didn't miss this concert. :heart: Also nice to know that he is aware of the long time he wasn't playing in Germany - 12 years!

If Eurovision is really the reason for this new awareness here (or what is?), then what a nice outcome of this Eurovision project. :original:

P.S.: Oh and I also loved to hear at least Jane Birkin! :lustslow:

Edited by Lexa
  • Like 9

Yep I had a great time at the show, was a bit sad to hear so few new songs as well, but Jane Birkin was lovely! I think I saw Andy in the foyer afterwards but was worried about staring so I really don't remember what he was wearing haha

• Like 7

PRESS

Der Tagesspiegel

2024_04.02DerTagesspiegel.jpg.41b889c127d1567e0ceed685d426192c.jpg

Mika im Tempodrom
Bunter Pop und die ganz großen Gesten

Mika, der König des cleveren und selbstbestimmten Glam-Pop.

Auch wenn Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr., besser bekannt als Mika, nicht ganz die hochgesteckten Erwartungen einlösen konnte, die er 2007 mit seinem grandiosen Debütalbum „Life in Cartoon Motion"...

Mika in the Tempodrom
Colorful pop and really big gestures

Mika, the king of clever and self-determined glam pop.

Even if Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr., better known as Mika, couldn't quite live up to the high expectations he set in 2007 with his magnificent debut album "Life in Cartoon Motion"...

DerTagesspiegelmikaberlin.thumb.webp.78f4d88a8a027b4c1a2ffc83c016eb2c.webp

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kumazzz said:

PRESS

Der Tagesspiegel

2024_04.02DerTagesspiegel.jpg.41b889c127d1567e0ceed685d426192c.jpg

Mika im Tempodrom
Bunter Pop und die ganz großen Gesten

Mika, der König des cleveren und selbstbestimmten Glam-Pop.

Auch wenn Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr., besser bekannt als Mika, nicht ganz die hochgesteckten Erwartungen einlösen konnte, die er 2007 mit seinem grandiosen Debütalbum „Life in Cartoon Motion"...

Mika in the Tempodrom

Even if Michael Holbrook Penniman Jr., better known as Mika, couldn't quite live up to the high expectations he set in 2007 with his magnificent debut album "Life in Cartoon Motion"...

DerTagesspiegelmikaberlin.thumb.webp.78f4d88a8a027b4c1a2ffc83c016eb2c.webp

It's a pre concert announcement, not a review - but maybe they'll write a review too? There were 4 photographers. Seems one was for Getty, so still 3 left... Anyway thanks - so nice to see Mika in the German press again! :wub2:

I loved the gig, of course. :mikalove: too tired to write a review now, but that'll follow. Bougez was completely in English this time, and he changed the lyrics again, compared to Amsterdam. But I'm so happy that he sang Jane Birkin! I hope the audience reaction was good enough for him to keep it on the setlist. :crossed:

3 hours ago, MissPie said:

Yep I had a great time at the show, was a bit sad to hear so few new songs as well, but Jane Birkin was lovely! I think I saw Andy in the foyer afterwards but was worried about staring so I really don't remember what he was wearing haha

Someone said they spoke with Andy after the show, that he was near the Merch stand. Unfortunately I didn't see him. Would have loved to say Hi. I was trying to get out fast because it felt so narrow and crowded on the way from the standing pit to the exit. I didn't even see the merch stand on my way out.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Kumazzz said:

Mika in the Tempodrom

I really had to laugh, comparing this to press reactions from other countries. Typical German euphoria, being like „Yeah well, Grace Kelly was good, but he‘s not the next Freddie Mercury. Anyhow, the show might be nice, so, maybe give him a chance?“ :lol3:

A very good example of maxed out German ecstasy :wink2:

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

What a gig! I'm still buzzing, 2 days on!! I was also a bit sad to not have a few more of the French songs... I was thinking he couldn't do AC with the big sign from the ceiling because of the limitations of the venue? But was sad not to have seen it (the sign and the song) anyway!! 

I'm still collecting my thoughts on the gig itself. A big highlight for me was Mika jumping in the crowd riiiight in front of me for BGYAB. Had seen this happen from afar at so many gigs so it made my evening to finally be in the thick of it!! Although the awful, shaky video I took has me screaming the lyrics in the background, so that's fun 😂 🤣 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I just came back home yesterday evening and I am still high from this energetic gig in Berlin :fangurl:

Here are some pictures I took during the gig. Videos will follow on the weekend on Instagram

I also really enjoyed the queuing, which I am not doing „professionally“ anymore :lol: it was so nice to see many familiar faces again and had time to chat. Aww I loved the whole Berlin experience :hug:

And even I don‘t speak/understand French, I was so happy that he at least played one (completely french) song from the new album. It could have been definitely more for my taste. The audience LOVED Jane Birking and sang along!

1ADA0864-1D55-4BF6-BA94-74F1538B688B.jpeg

B0037F36-2998-4F88-948A-7B138742ECC7.jpeg

FBB39AED-CD01-4624-8D38-4C117397D484.jpeg

C6E8816A-CD66-48F0-B26E-DE7C2890339C.jpeg

58B6ECA1-9AA3-4CA1-9D96-425E3DD352CE.jpeg

6BDC9396-DB38-4137-8135-396F2230447F.jpeg

8DEB366E-B4C8-41F8-BBC9-37AD8D0D237F.jpeg

1FC63DCA-2E4F-4F4E-9732-88E9F566F471.jpeg

D53D9B64-0FF4-492A-958F-039C227E85F7.jpeg

7E4C2F40-ABC2-4079-BD59-3311909E8B74.jpeg

130539A1-8A64-47EB-8060-40042B867F16.jpeg

A0C67775-B6B4-4E58-AB01-6C22585F8CC6.jpeg

57911632-C830-4256-AB54-F395BFE717A5.jpeg

Edited by MFC_Hasi
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Mika in Germany! After 12 years absence! I was born and raised in Amsterdam, but I’ve been living in Germany for the past 10+ years, so I do consider it my home - and for Mika to do both Amsterdam in Berlin within a week, well, you can just understand how happy that made me when the tour announcement came last year.

The venue was a lot smaller than the previous concerts of this tour that I had been to, which meant that not all stage props would fit. When I entered the venue I saw that this was true: there wasn’t even enough height to put up the curtain, let alone the Club Apocalypse sign. We could see the cage right there. Ohhh! Exciting!! 

Having just been to Brussels with an amazing audience and atmosphere, I was wondering how the German audience would react to him - especially after such a long absence. I decided that I would make it my mission to give a lot of expressive energy during the gig, hoping to be infectious for others (people who know me also know that this doesn’t take any effort from my part, I just have a lot of energy): if you saw a crazy person dancing, it was probably me!

Just like the Amsterdam concert, Mika started with the English version of Bougez. It’s impactful all the same and you just get sucked into his visual and melodic world right away. And although I did have the feeling the audience took a bit to warm up during the first few songs, they eventually did commit and went in full force with people jumping up and down and just having a really good time. 

Right before the concert started. A girl who was standing right behind me asked if she could be front row for Any Other World, since the song meant so much to her. I then asked her that she must have another song she adores, she replied that she also really loved Happy Ending, so we agreed we would switch positions during these songs. 

Origin Of Love was after Bougez, then came Talk About You. I don’t know about this order. have to say that I really like Talk About You after Bougez, because the contrast and surprise effect is bigger. Also, it sets the mood for Apocalypse Calypso after, which I personally think he should definitely bring back to the setlist. Not only because it’s the name of the tour, but it’s so HIM. Showing the span and diversity of both his register and discography is just perfect in these three songs. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love Origin Of Love, but it would be better later in the setlist, if anything. 

He exchanged Sweetie Banana for Lollipop, actually a good choice, it does bring across the same message, doesn’t it? Haha.

Feels Like Fire is such a highlight. My friend Erik was with me and he told me afterwards that he really feels the gravity and grandesse of the song, it’s so perfect as a movie soundtrack. That made me incredibly proud to hear. 

After Yo-Yo they moved the platforms of the musicians the way they prepare for Jane Birkin. I squealed in excitement, finally a French song!! I knew the audience would love it, but nonetheless I told myself to “La La La” as loud as I could once the time was right, hoping to be contagious for the people around me. 

Mika said a few words about Jane Birkin, which was received with laughs and a good mood. The audience ate it up and the “La La La” part didn’t need much convincing at all. I was so happy he included it, I’m very happy he took that trust-fall with the audience, because I do feel he maybe feels insecure about the reception of the French songs outside of a francophone country. 

After Good Guys was Billy Brown. I know that it was instead of 30 secondes, but do I wish he kept 30 secondes. I love the flow of the show when he slows down in that moment and Billy Brown (although I love the song!) just keeps it too much up tempo. He could even do a mix version of French/English like he does with Bougez, if he’s unsure about the reception of it? I personally would LOVE to hear that, especially since he did exactly that in a story he posted last year behind his white piano. 

Also, it would bring exactly the contrast that makes it a Mika gig. Slow down in a ballad, as a build-up for the happy and up tempo Grace Kelly right after. 

When it was time for Happy Ending and I swiftly switched places with the girl as promised. The poor thing was crying and trembling, barely holding it together. 

I didn’t know her name, I didn’t know her circumstance, but I felt that she needed a hug, so I held her during the entire song: which she accepted gratefully. The same for Any Other World.

She was very kind to offer me my place back after Happy Ending (which comes before Any Other World), but I told her that she should stay there and enjoy the gig. I still had a very good view and had enough room to dance, so I was perfectly fine where I was. It made me very happy I could do this for her, to me this is communion of spirit, as a wise poet once called it :wink2:

Once the gig was over with the banger that We Are Golden is, the audience was left completely stunned. They didn’t immediately leave, but were just staring at the stage for a few, most probably to process what had just happened! I saw so many people with stars in their eyes, some even with tears. Mika just came in like a wrecking ball in Berlin and left a complete euphoria in people’s hearts. I hope this is the start of a renewed connection with the German audience, because the spark was definitely there.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Deepblue said:

I really had to laugh, comparing this to press reactions from other countries. Typical German euphoria, being like „Yeah well, Grace Kelly was good, but he‘s not the next Freddie Mercury. Anyhow, the show might be nice, so, maybe give him a chance?“ :lol3:

A very good example of maxed out German ecstasy :wink2:

It is funny, because it’s true!!! :lol3:

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, holdingyourdrink said:

Mika in Germany! After 12 years absence! I was born and raised in Amsterdam, but I’ve been living in Germany for the past 10+ years, so I do consider it my home - and for Mika to do both Amsterdam in Berlin within a week, well, you can just understand how happy that made me when the tour announcement came last year.

The venue was a lot smaller than the previous concerts of this tour that I had been to, which meant that not all stage props would fit. When I entered the venue I saw that this was true: there wasn’t even enough height to put up the curtain, let alone the Club Apocalypse sign. We could see the cage right there. Ohhh! Exciting!! 

Having just been to Brussels with an amazing audience and atmosphere, I was wondering how the German audience would react to him - especially after such a long absence. I decided that I would make it my mission to give a lot of expressive energy during the gig, hoping to be infectious for others (people who know me also know that this doesn’t take any effort from my part, I just have a lot of energy): if you saw a crazy person dancing, it was probably me!

Just like the Amsterdam concert, Mika started with the English version of Bougez. It’s impactful all the same and you just get sucked into his visual and melodic world right away. And although I did have the feeling the audience took a bit to warm up during the first few songs, they eventually did commit and went in full force with people jumping up and down and just having a really good time. 

Right before the concert started. A girl who was standing right behind me asked if she could be front row for Any Other World, since the song meant so much to her. I then asked her that she must have another song she adores, she replied that she also really loved Happy Ending, so we agreed we would switch positions during these songs. 

Origin Of Love was after Bougez, then came Talk About You. I don’t know about this order. have to say that I really like Talk About You after Bougez, because the contrast and surprise effect is bigger. Also, it sets the mood for Apocalypse Calypso after, which I personally think he should definitely bring back to the setlist. Not only because it’s the name of the tour, but it’s so HIM. Showing the span and diversity of both his register and discography is just perfect in these three songs. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love Origin Of Love, but it would be better later in the setlist, if anything. 

He exchanged Sweetie Banana for Lollipop, actually a good choice, it does bring across the same message, doesn’t it? Haha.

Feels Like Fire is such a highlight. My friend Erik was with me and he told me afterwards that he really feels the gravity and grandesse of the song, it’s so perfect as a movie soundtrack. That made me incredibly proud to hear. 

After Yo-Yo they moved the platforms of the musicians the way they prepare for Jane Birkin. I squealed in excitement, finally a French song!! I knew the audience would love it, but nonetheless I told myself to “La La La” as loud as I could once the time was right, hoping to be contagious for the people around me. 

Mika said a few words about Jane Birkin, which was received with laughs and a good mood. The audience ate it up and the “La La La” part didn’t need much convincing at all. I was so happy he included it, I’m very happy he took that trust-fall with the audience, because I do feel he maybe feels insecure about the reception of the French songs outside of a francophone country. 

After Good Guys was Billy Brown. I know that it was instead of 30 secondes, but do I wish he kept 30 secondes. I love the flow of the show when he slows down in that moment and Billy Brown (although I love the song!) just keeps it too much up tempo. He could even do a mix version of French/English like he does with Bougez, if he’s unsure about the reception of it? I personally would LOVE to hear that, especially since he did exactly that in a story he posted last year behind his white piano. 

Also, it would bring exactly the contrast that makes it a Mika gig. Slow down in a ballad, as a build-up for the happy and up tempo Grace Kelly right after. 

When it was time for Happy Ending and I swiftly switched places with the girl as promised. The poor thing was crying and trembling, barely holding it together. 

I didn’t know her name, I didn’t know her circumstance, but I felt that she needed a hug, so I held her during the entire song: which she accepted gratefully. The same for Any Other World.

She was very kind to offer me my place back after Happy Ending (which comes before Any Other World), but I told her that she should stay there and enjoy the gig. I still had a very good view and had enough room to dance, so I was perfectly fine where I was. It made me very happy I could do this for her, to me this is communion of spirit, as a wise poet once called it :wink2:

Once the gig was over with the banger that We Are Golden is, the audience was left completely stunned. They didn’t immediately leave, but were just staring at the stage for a few, most probably to process what had just happened! I saw so many people with stars in their eyes, some even with tears. Mika just came in like a wrecking ball in Berlin and left a complete euphoria in people’s hearts. I hope this is the start of a renewed connection with the German audience, because the spark was definitely there.

ahh i'm almost tearing up reading your review and remembering the concert😭❤️‍🩹 totally random but you sound like such a nice person to meet at a concert haha!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

INSTAGRAM

mikainstagram

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5VacHYoLup/

What a remarkable week on the road! Amsterdam, Brussels and my first show in Berlin for 12 years!

Now it’s your turn UK and Ireland!! I’ll see you tonight for a sold out show at the Brighton Centre!!

🎥 @adambgoodall

#apocalypsecalypsotour #brighton

X ( Twitter )

mikasounds

Re-uploaded to YouTube

• Like 1

4 hours ago, holdingyourdrink said:

I agree with you that I'd love to hear any French or English or both French and English version of 30 Secondes as well, but Good Guys is also a rather slow song, so in this particular place of the setlist it would be 2 slow songs in a row... But I also agree with you that OOL might be better later in the setlist, so maybe if he switched some things around, he could include 30 Secondes again... or if he really doesn't want to do that one (maybe he's not happy with the English lyrics?), Tiny Love instead? Anyway, I guess I'll better post those ideas on the setlist discussions thread, it's always very tempting to get into a general setlist discussion based on the experiences at a particular gig, haha!

Another setlist related thing tho about this particular gig was that by leaving out C'est La Vie as well as Rain, Mika messed up my globe plan for the fanaction, lol! I had brought a 50cm inflatable earth and drawn some hearts on it, which I wanted to use to emphasize the message of the fanaction - but I realized in advance that I wouldn't have the time to inflate it during Happy Ending, as it takes quite some time. So I had planned to do that while he would be changing into his blue outfit and the Vogue (or another) intro would play. Just that he didn't do that. :doh: So Happy Ending came by surprise and I spent nearly the whole song inflating that globe thing. :facepalm: When I was finished at the end and everyone threw their balloons, I wanted to throw it on stage but it fell in the gap between the speakers and the stage and I was like :doh:. Mika noticed it and it made him laugh - well, not the effect I had planned, but making him laugh is good as well, so it's ok, haha! I guess it was another moment like the one with the confetti in Cattolica last year, where he commented about me waiting for 3 songs to throw the confetti and then doing it the moment the lights went out. :lmfao: Oh well. :dunno_grin: The fanaction didn't quite go as planned anyway, because there were issues with distributing the balloons in the lower seated areas. So I still have about 60 balloons left now - maybe I'll bring them to the UK with me, at the small Dublin venue they might make an impact. But the first few rows were full of balloons, and I saw some LED balloons in the back of the venue as well, so at least there were some and I think Mika liked it. :) 

I'm on the train right now and my daughter wants my notebook to watch a movie, so I'll have to postpone writing a full report.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1