The Martin Waugh Thread

meimei88

I really don't think that it's too far fetched to say that it doesn't seem likely that Martin said that to this person himself.....

He 'may' love and enjoy it (very unlikely if you ask me, but hey), but I really doubt that it wasn't Mika's instruction, and that Martin and the crew just decided to wear those ridiculous outfits.

All it takes is to look at how he dresses when he's not on stage. He's NOT into all that stuff, so why on earth would he choose to wear it onstage??

I do think that often people make all these assumptions about Mika being like this and that, as if he's this sweet little ball of fluff who will consult his band members to ask what they would really prefer to wear on stage, which miraculously ends up being the exact vision that he had for the show :naughty:

I mean, when Mika himself tells us that he can be a bit of a bastard when it comes to working with people, and that he makes people cry in the process...if that is not an eye opener, then what else can I say? :roftl:

With this I'm not saying that he's an unreasonable boss, or an idiot, but that he's obviously very focused, very fussy, has a super clear idea of what he wants out of his show (visually), and he is of course going to dictate how EVERYONE on stage looks, so that they fit in with his visual. It's so clear to me that I can't even understand why we ended up discussing it so much :original:

This pretty much sums up my first post on this subject, when I said that when he first took on the musicians, he probably made it clear what he wanted, and if they weren't up for it, he would find someone who would be.

He said that it took him a while to find a guitarist that could sing in his range, I'm thinking now that possibly it was one who didn't mind the dressing up part, because there are LOTS of guitarists who can sing in his range.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

well i like Lilly too, so it's ok for me:naughty:

i said that somewhere before and someone told me "he does it because he loves and enjoys it,not because mika wants so"

i don't know where they know this from, and i really would like to know

So would I :naughty:...

Mika may be a "nice" person and not force people to wear silly costumes (I don't really know for myself since I haven't had a converstaion with him) but I think it's fair to say that he has particular ideas about how he wants his shows... Most of us seem to think that, but obvbiously others disagree (for whatever reason they have).

No-one really knows for certain though... maybe Martin has some hidden dress up fetish :das:

I really don't think that it's too far fetched to say that it doesn't seem likely that Martin said that to this person himself.....

He 'may' love and enjoy it (very unlikely if you ask me, but hey), but I really doubt that it wasn't Mika's instruction, and that Martin and the crew just decided to wear those ridiculous outfits.

All it takes is to look at how he dresses when he's not on stage. He's NOT into all that stuff, so why on earth would he choose to wear it onstage??

I do think that often people make all these assumptions about Mika being like this and that, as if he's this sweet little ball of fluff who will consult his band members to ask what they would really prefer to wear on stage, which miraculously ends up being the exact vision that he had for the show

I mean, when Mika himself tells us that he can be a bit of a bastard when it comes to working with people, and that he makes people cry in the process...if that is not an eye opener, then what else can I say?

With this I'm not saying that he's an unreasonable boss, or an idiot, but that he's obviously very focused, very fussy, has a super clear idea of what he wants out of his show (visually), and he is of course going to dictate how EVERYONE on stage looks, so that they fit in with his visual. It's so clear to me that I can't even understand why we ended up discussing it so much :original:

I completely agree (just to save us any more time trying to figure out WTH is going on :naughty:)...

I actually want to know how people get this idea that Mika is all sweet and innocent... from what I've seen, he's a major pain in the arse and is very picky.. and whiny...

Doesn't stop me from liking him though :wub2:...

Well WHEN the time comes I really think you should wear the kilt...not sure about the pin though...........you might not get in with a pin?

I plan on doing so, but I think you're right about the pin... I'll take lots of pictures for everyone so they can see how silly I look...

I actually want to know how people get this idea that Mika is all sweet and innocent... from what I've seen, he's a major pain in the arse and is very picky.. and whiny...

Doesn't stop me from liking him though :wub2:...

I wonder the same thing myself. He makes no secret of it and that's why I asked the rhetorical "haven't you seen the DVD?" question. He says point blank that he wants to make things as difficult on everyone as he possibly can. People dismiss these kinds of comments as cute, but enough of them have stacked up over the past 2 years that it's flat out denial to imagine that working with Mika is non-stop picnic.

I could have guessed that it wasn't Martin's idea to wear a clown costume but if anyone has any doubts you can see this is patently obvious during the preparations for the show. The band wasn't even around when all these design and costume ideas were being formed and executed. I would hope the band feels free to speak up if something is so restrictive or ill fitting that it prevents them from playing properly, but aside from that I can't imagine that they ever complain or question what they are asked to wear.

It's Martin playing on Lily's album, btw- the 2 acoustic tracks

And I'm not sure anyone in this thread did say Mika was a fluffy sweatheart who let people wear what they like. That's a long way from saying (as I did) that the reason some band members dressed up more than others might be down to them.

I certainly don't think he decides every day "I want Martin in the blue, with the red tie, and Mikey in the orange, with the puple tie..."- he wouldn't get any songs sung. I imagine he told his mother and sisters (yes, I'm guessing, but so is everyone else) "circus theme, bright colours- show me sketches." And I think this is borne out by the dvd- the screens, the poster, the clown/acrobat- they did stuff, and he either OKd or said "can't he kind of swoop more" or whatever. He didn't lay out in detail, in advance, what had to happen.

Ya know ... my phone was total Sh!te when i took this video .... But mika's excitement toward the crowd that day made me reminise when i watched it back the otherday on youtube .... here was one where he was joking around with martin in may 07 at birmingham .....

And this one - martin actually used to wear his own clothes - as did mikey ... Martin wore a black shirt and blue jeans that night

.... 1.11 ...... the quality isnt fantastic , as i say - my phone was cack !!! :naughty: But hope it helps !!

I guess mika has decided to go his own way involving his shows , and has advanced somewhat ... sad but true me thinks !..... ive realised alot of change since ive watched back ... Involving stage clothes .. to be expected but Kinda shocked when i watch things back and how much things have changed!... :shocked: ... i suppose you dont see things changing when its right in front of your eyes all the time ! :boxed:

Edited by mikas_gal07

Ya know ... my phone was total Sh!te when i took this video .... But mika's excitement toward the crowd that day made me reminise when i watched it back the otherday on youtube .... here was one where he was joking around with martin in may 07 at birmingham .....

And this one - martin actually used to wear his own clothes - as did mikey ... Martin wore a black shirt and blue jeans that night

.... 1.11 ...... the quality isnt fantastic , as i say - my phone was cack !!! :naughty: But hope it helps !!

I guess mika has decided to go his own way involving his shows , and has advanced somewhat ... sad but true me thinks !..... ive realised alot of change since ive watched back ... Involving stage clothes .. to be expected but Kinda shocked when i watch things back and how much things have changed!... :shocked: ... i suppose you dont see things changing when its right in front of your eyes all the time ! :boxed:

I was just saying a similar thing to Kath after re watching the Maida Vale gig..:tears:

I was just saying a similar thing to Kath after re watching the Maida Vale gig..:tears:

Yeh ... it almost feels like a bereavement .... LOL :boxed:

May was my first gig ... but i que'd at 4.30 pm ... and still got front row ! :boxed:

*that'll teach the buggers going for lager rather than front row, that day :sneaky2: LOL!*

I had amnesia from that gig ... couldnt remember a thing from excitement and being star struck !!! :boxed: I remember the whole thing now ... even the way the band was dressed ... how bloody weird !!!

Nice vids. Do you think being on an album means a lot to an artist? Royalties and stuff? Or do they just get paid for the session?

Im not sure SoSi .... I recon it does ... because not every one of them would do it for free ! .. and its also good publicity ! ... i buy albums and quite like some songs ive never heard before and also get interested in the artist :wink2: Thats just IMO though :)

Im not sure SoSi .... I recon it does ... because not every one of them would do it for free ! .. and its also good publicity ! ... i buy albums and quite like some songs ive never heard before and also get interested in the artist :wink2: Thats just IMO though :)

It didn't occur to me that anyone would play for free! I just meant is it good for them professionally (or is touring more lucrative) and do they get royalties or a flat fee.

It didn't occur to me that anyone would play for free! I just meant is it good for them professionally (or is touring more lucrative) and do they get royalties or a flat fee.

hmmm , im not too sure .... i think christine or someone would be better with that one ! shes better at those things than me :naughty::wink2: but i would be interested to know too !

It's Martin playing on Lily's album, btw- the 2 acoustic tracks

And I'm not sure anyone in this thread did say Mika was a fluffy sweatheart who let people wear what they like. That's a long way from saying (as I did) that the reason some band members dressed up more than others might be down to them.

I certainly don't think he decides every day "I want Martin in the blue, with the red tie, and Mikey in the orange, with the puple tie..."- he wouldn't get any songs sung. I imagine he told his mother and sisters (yes, I'm guessing, but so is everyone else) "circus theme, bright colours- show me sketches." And I think this is borne out by the dvd- the screens, the poster, the clown/acrobat- they did stuff, and he either OKd or said "can't he kind of swoop more" or whatever. He didn't lay out in detail, in advance, what had to happen.

Yes, I also think that this is the way it works. He gives instructions to his mum and co, and 'supervises' it afterwards.

But we're talking about a majorly picky guy here; In one of the US gigs last winter, he was telling the lollipop girls to lift their skirts up while dancing to make sure that the white part of the underskirt was showing, because he liked that to be displayed!!

His attention to detail is massive, and he's clearly in control of the whole costumes/clothes thing for everyone. Incidentally, this was one of the reasons why it even amazed me more (and made me feel incredibly proud) when I saw him wearing the Tshirt that I had made for him on stage, a few times. I could NOT believe, and to a certain degree I still can't, that he'd wear my shirt on stage!!

Anyway, back to Martin :naughty: - Some people have said though that they think that if the band would not like a particular costume they'd probably say it, and that Mika would be open to changes, etc.

I personally think that this is not the case. I would imagine that if they don't like something much, they will keep their mouth shut and just get on with the job.

As to some band members dressing up more than others, again, as I've said to saciety, I don't think for a second that it's up to them. I just think that for some reason Mika wants them in more extreme outfits. It could just be that for example the guy stuck behind a big keyboard isn't 'seen' as much so why dress him up, while the guitar guy at the front will be a lot more visible, so it makes more sense to dress him up.

.... 1.11 ...... the quality isnt fantastic , as i say - my phone was cack !!!

But hope it helps !!

I guess mika has decided to go his own way involving his shows , and has advanced somewhat ... sad but true me thinks !..... ive realised alot of change since ive watched back ... Involving stage clothes .. to be expected but Kinda shocked when i watch things back and how much things have changed!... :shocked: ... i suppose you dont see things changing when its right in front of your eyes all the time !

Oh Caz, thanks for that. It IS a bit sad to watch these, because it reminds me of the Mika that we had and lost.I saw him live for the first time just over a month later (ICA) and he was still like that. We were saying with Bab yesterday that we started noticing a change around the Somerset House gig......

Where has all his excitement and spontaneity gone?? He used to be so 'loose' chatting and joking with the crowd, swearing even, just having a blast. I miss that, and I wish that he'd bring some of it back.

His interaction with both band and audience was a million times better than the super professional 'stage show' of now , and I personally think that it's a loss...I'd happily trade any of his shows of today to go back to those lovely shows of then. Then it felt more like a concert and less of a show. Nowadays, especially after Paris, it feels more like a show and like the concert part of it is not the focus, but just another element.

I would like to see the focus going back to the heartfelt music again, instead of these 'Broadway type' productions :boxed:.

Nice vids. Do you think being on an album means a lot to an artist? Royalties and stuff? Or do they just get paid for the session?

I have no clue about these things :blink: but I would imagine that it is a big deal for an artist, and I guess that it would mean money (and prestigue) in it for them...

Yeh ... it almost feels like a bereavement .... LOL

May was my first gig ... but i que'd at 4.30 pm ... and still got front row !

*that'll teach the buggers going for lager rather than front row, that day LOL!*

It does feel like one :blink:. But I had the same queue thing in Glasgow: I was amazed to see so many people heading for the bar rather than for the front, but I gladly took the front row while they went for it :naughty:!!!

I cannot conceive why anyone would queue then head for the bar!

I know :roftl: it's nuts :insane:- Obviously some people don't function in 'normal' ways.

Then again, I quite like a drink when I go out, but if I'm in 'gig mode', I'd rather not drink and be 100% sober and focused on the show.

I know :roftl: it's nuts :insane:- Obviously some people don't function in 'normal' ways.

Then again, I quite like a drink when I go out, but if I'm in 'gig mode', I'd rather not drink and be 100% sober and focused on the show.

was you there in May Sari ? - Reason im asking is because there was a pub next to the carling academy.... Its policy was something like - "the people who went in the pub next door and bought a drink would get priority entrance to the mika gig at the carling academy " .... :blink: ... yet half of them were still boozing it up while us lot went in the venue and got to the front ! :roftl: ... Hence my queing at 4.30pm and getting to the front !!! :naughty: .. what a WEIRD policy though ! :naughty:

was you there in May Sari ? - Reason im asking is because there was a pub next to the carling academy.... Its policy was something like - "the people who went in the pub next door and bought a drink would get priority entrance to the mika gig at the carling academy " .... :blink: ... yet half of them were still boozing it up while us lot went in the venue and got to the front ! :roftl: ... Hence my queing at 4.30pm and getting to the front !!! :naughty: .. what a WEIRD policy though ! :naughty:

No, unfortunately I wasn't there in May, much to my regret now :naughty:. I didn't think then that I would get so hooked to seeing him live so often :roftl:.

Blooming weird policy though, what were they thinking when making that?!!

Worked for you guys though which is good :wink2:.

No, unfortunately I wasn't there in May, much to my regret now :naughty:. I didn't think then that I would get so hooked to seeing him live so often :roftl:.

Blooming weird policy though, what were they thinking when making that?!!

Worked for you guys though which is good :wink2:.

Very weird !!!! and yes it paid off !! :naughty: another strange thing is that night , the peope i was stood behind whilst queing and stood next to in the gig were mfc'ers !!! I was 2 away from bexxy !! :shocked: But never posted then even though i joined in april ! i didnt expect to get addicted either!! :naughty:

And i feel very much the same as what you posted before hun !!! :thumb_yello:

Very weird !!!! and yes it paid off !! :naughty: another strange thing is that night , the peope i was stood behind whilst queing and stood next to in the gig were mfc'ers !!! I was 2 away from bexxy !! :shocked: But never posted then even though i joined in april ! i didnt expect to get addicted either!! :naughty:

And i feel very much the same as what you posted before hun !!! :thumb_yello:

Yes, that is like when I went to the ICA and Somerset House: I recognised everyone from lurking on MFC for a couple of months, but I hadn't really been posting and I felt too shy to approach anyone :roftl:.

In the end at Somerset H I finally went for it and ended up chatting to Sarahlou, fiiiiiiiinally :naughty:

for what it's worth.. here is my opinion of the outfits on stage

mika & co decide on what the band should wear and the band wears it.

end of discussion.

it's part of their jobs! look at the people who work at macdonald's or any place of employment that requires them to wear uniforms or silly outfits.

they are told to wear them, so they do! it's part of their job, weather they like it or not. does that make sense?:blink:

I actually don't know about session musicians receiving royalties. I would think so but I'm really not sure. Anyway good for Martin. This Lily gig is a good one for him I'm guessing.

I agree with what Sara said about Mika's involvement in details. That story about the whites of the lollipop petticoats was just...:shocked:

And I think there was definitely some sentiment in this thread that Mika isn't bossy enough to tell people to wear things that they don't feel (psychologically) comfortable wearing. I think he is...or more accurately that Mika asserts himself in such a way that he doesn't know or particularly care what people prefer wearing because he doesn't ask their opinion and they don't volunteer it.

Thanks for answering about the royalties.

As I have now spent more time on Martin's clothes than my own, I am going to drop out of it now, other than to say I'd imagine it's his mother/sisters who interface with the band as to who wears what.

And that I do think it's reasonable for MIka to specify that he wants the petticoats to show. Swishing petticoats is part of the overall look, caring whether it's Martin or Mikey in the clown costume is irrelevent detail, to me.

I remember you telling me this sari, but I still find it hard to believe! :naughty:

I already knew quite a few MFCers by that time, but met a whole load more at SH! A huge crowd of us stayed in the same place.

What are you trying to imply here? :naughty:.

I swear that I can be shy sometimes, especially considering that I had never been on an online forum or a fanclub before, so I was extra freaked out at how I had succumbed to this seemingly crazy world, at the ripe old age of 36 :roftl:.

But I did recognise you all, and was just a bit further (5-10 people) behind you guys in the queue at SH.

for what it's worth.. here is my opinion of the outfits on stage

mika & co decide on what the band should wear and the band wears it.

end of discussion.

it's part of their jobs! look at the people who work at macdonald's or any place of employment that requires them to wear uniforms or silly outfits.

they are told to wear them, so they do! it's part of their job, weather they like it or not. does that make sense?:blink:

Perfect sense to me :thumb_yello:. It's exactly my thoughts. No question, just acceptance. Their 'uniform' is just whatever Mika and co come up with at any given time.

I actually don't know about session musicians receiving royalties. I would think so but I'm really not sure. Anyway good for Martin. This Lily gig is a good one for him I'm guessing.

I agree with what Sara said about Mika's involvement in details. That story about the whites of the lollipop petticoats was just...:shocked:

And I think there was definitely some sentiment in this thread that Mika isn't bossy enough to tell people to wear things that they don't feel (psychologically) comfortable wearing. I think he is...or more accurately that Mika asserts himself in such a way that he doesn't know or particularly care what people prefer wearing because he doesn't ask their opinion and they don't volunteer it.

Perfectly put.