The Martin Waugh Thread

meimei88

I've always been led to believe (and I am fairly sure of that myself) that the clothes that the band wear on stage are not picked by them, but by the Mika/sisters/mum combo...And this is consistent with Martin's comment to Rose where he 'hoped' that he'd wear that hat again, but it was obviously not his decision.

Oh and I agree with Bab about them looking a bit silly sometimes...especially the clown outfit :roftl:. But again, that is just my own opinion...A bit like how i find those flowers all over the stage too 'kitsch' and that they seriously impede one's view!!!

I agree about the costumes being a bit demeaning. Everyone assumes that Mika's band like all this Mika stuff but I can't imagine they do. They're just normal guys after all. And Martin particularly...he's older and has a family. This can't possibly be his scene.

Remember this is not what they signed up for initially. The band used to just wear plain jeans and simple off-the-rack shirts.

:thumb_yello:

I guess the costume idea probably comes from Mika, but also that they should have agreed to wear that outfit. I don´t think he’d make them wear something they don’t feel comfortable with, if they just wouldn’t want to…

:wink2:

I'm pretty sure that if Mika wants a certain look to present on stage, thats what happens. It must be a prerequisite from the start with the band members, if they aren't happy to go along with it, he'll get someone who will.

After all, it is his show.

I'm pretty much with LeiRe on this one. Certainly Mika has the last word, but I'd expect his mother/sisters to work with the band and backing singers to get something that suits both. And (to me) different members of the band seem to be "costumed" to a different degree. Martin was very much in costume at PDP, David not noticably so, and Luke generally seemed to be more naturally dressed than the others. I'm guessing Martin kinda likes it. (And I'm still hoping its likes and not "liked" except in so far as that suggests Mika's not going to be starting touring until after Lily finishes.)

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, of course Mika is the boss, but I can't see him so bossy to do that kind of things...

To do what kind of things? Tell them what music to play, what to do on stage and what they will wear? That's exactly his role as their boss and creative director of his productions.

Haven't you watched the PDP documentary? The band was not involved in any of the decision making. Mika had a vision and it was everyone's job around him to help him execute it. They didn't protest his ideas because it wasn't their cup of tea.

Look at that crazy Tree of Life head dress. Mika decided with his mother and sister that it looked ridiculous and they weren't going to use it. No one consulted Saranayde and if they had decided to use it she just would have gone along with it. That's what she was hired for. They are performers and the costumes are part of their performance.

I guess that's martin's stage costume because he's more in the spotlight often interacting with mika during the show,like for example in the guitar bit during SITM.

I see it as christine: it's just a costume, like every acto0r that goes on stage. :blink:

i think the clothes are not the problem. the real problem may be mika's apparently not a tour set yet and martins' got a family: he needs to work in the meantime. reasonable.

I'm pretty much with LeiRe on this one. Certainly Mika has the last word, but I'd expect his mother/sisters to work with the band and backing singers to get something that suits both. And (to me) different members of the band seem to be "costumed" to a different degree. Martin was very much in costume at PDP, David not noticably so, and Luke generally seemed to be more naturally dressed than the others. I'm guessing Martin kinda likes it. (And I'm still hoping its likes and not "liked" except in so far as that suggests Mika's not going to be starting touring until after Lily finishes.)

Yeah! :thumb_yello:

And I think that's because Martin likes it, seeing that other members are usually wearing "normal" clothes.

Maybe Martin's children like to see his father dressed as a clown and that's why he does it, who knows... :naughty:

To do what kind of things? Tell them what music to play, what to do on stage and what they will wear? That's exactly his role as their boss and creative director of his productions.

Haven't you watched the PDP documentary? The band was not involved in any of the decision making. Mika had a vision and it was everyone's job around him to help him execute it. They didn't protest his ideas because it wasn't their cup of tea.

Look at that crazy Tree of Life head dress. Mika decided with his mother and sister that it looked ridiculous and they weren't going to use it. No one consulted Saranayde and if they had decided to use it she just would have gone along with it. That's what she was hired for. They are performers and the costumes are part of their performance.

Depends whether he's a "boss" or a manager: steamrollers don't get the best out of people. You can't manage like that on an audit, let alone on a creative production.

The only reason why I would imagine Martin is more heavily 'costumed' than Luke or Sunshine is as Avoca said: because they are more 'visible' to the audience.

They are at the front, whereas the keys player is at the back of the stage, and hidden to a large degree by their instrument. Any special costume or clothes would be totally missed, so what would be the point of that?

And for the Mika being the one making the decisions: it goes without saying. Christine's post was spot on. Of course he wont' be consulting the band about whether they like it or not, and of course the band will know better not to 'voice any disagreements' about the clothes that they are asked to wear.

When I am told to do something at work, I have to do it, and I don't start saying that I disagree. That's just the way it is, and unless you have a valid reason why it would make more business sense to do things differently and you express that properly, there is no point in voicing a disagreement at all. You just do as you are told.

The Mika show is no different at all, its' all about business.

Of course I've watched the PDP documentary :wink2:

Yes, I think that's Mika's role and he's the decision maker.

Anyway, sometimes they may agree, sometimes they may not, but I've always felt Martin was comfortable wearing that outfit, and for me that's more important than the outfit itself in a show.

I don't think wearing a clown outfit in a show focused on the circus world is such a heavy problem :wink2:

Yeah! :thumb_yello:

And I think that's because Martin likes it, seeing that other members are usually wearing "normal" clothes.

Maybe Martin's children like to see his father dressed as a clown and that's why he does it, who knows... :naughty:

:naughty: Could be...

Cool daddy :punk:

When I am told to do something at work, I have to do it, and I don't start saying that I disagree. That's just the way it is, and unless you have a valid reason why it would make more business sense to do things differently and you express that properly, there is no point in voicing a disagreement at all. You just do as you are told.

The Mika show is no different at all, its' all about business.

Now I'm really surprised- business sense includes people using the stuff they feel comfortable with (although obviously this can be overdone). I've only ever had one manager who took the "my way or the highway" line, and he was eased out. When I started my present job I was told I didn't argue enough (and lets face it, I wouldn't say I was timid)- I'm certainly expected to disagree, and express preferences- Usually they're honoured, sometimes they're overruled. Good managers in business discuss things with their staff. MOtivation, teamwork... all that stuff.

Now I'm really surprised- business sense includes people using the stuff they feel comfortable with (although obviously this can be overdone). I've only ever had one manager who took the "my way or the highway" line, and he was eased out. When I started my present job I was told I didn't argue enough (and lets face it, I wouldn't say I was timid)- I'm certainly expected to disagree, and express preferences- Usually they're honoured, sometimes they're overruled. Good managers in business discuss things with their staff. MOtivation, teamwork... all that stuff.

I totally agree :thumb_yello:

Maybe we aren't used to that kind of bosses :wink2:

I remember once Mika told that his band members aren't just hired musicians, they are more than that (sorry, I don't remember the exact words).

Yes, of course, motivation and teamwork are essential, but part of it includes a leader who people feel comfortable with, that will make the decisions moving forward.

Of course if one has a valid reason to argue something they should, and that is what I meant, but it has to have some sort of 'sense'. When it comes to a large company running, with complex processes, there is only so much disagreeing that one can do.

I often query processes if I think that they can be done more efficiently, and I think that this is desirable, but by the same token I don't just query something because 'I don't feel like it'.

Let's be realistic, wearing a certain type of clothing at a gig where you are just being a musician is not exactly something that one could put a lot of weight in, when it comes to arguing.

So, you feel that you look like a fool? So what? :naughty:. The fact that the crew find the clothes ridiculous won't make any business difference to Mika, or neither should it affect the role that they are performing there: processional session musicians. So why contest that at all?

On top of it, I'm guessing that when they enter an agreement with an artist, part of their contractual obligation would be to allow themselves to be 'visually moulded' in the way that suits the boss.

I believe that the only valid arguments that they would be able to voice would be things like 'this hurts' or 'this suit doesn't let me do my job properly' (as in, hit the keys,etc).

I totally agree :thumb_yello:

Maybe we aren't used to that kind of bosses :wink2:

I remember once Mika told that his band members aren't just hired musicians, they are more than that (sorry, I don't remember the exact words).

Well, I can say that I'm lucky to have a boss with who I can not only joke around with and get drunk with, but also bitch with, about work or non work related issues :naughty:.

But that is by no means the norm, and I am perfectly aware of the fact that the business' interest should come first, so one should not just question anything if there is not a good reason for doing so. As I said before, I don't think that the band would even moan about this, but rather just get on with it and take it in their stride.

Now...what you say about Mika's comment. Sorry, but it makes me laugh.

If you had followed the circumstances in which the first band member to be let go was replaced, you'd realise how one should take that comment with not only a pinch of salt, but a whole bucket :naughty:.

He says lots of things, but wether these can be taken seriously or not, is a different matter. Fact is, the way things are done in reality are VERY different :thumb_yello::original:

Now...what you say about Mika's comment. Sorry, but it makes me laugh.

If you had followed the circumstances in which the first band member to be let go was replaced, you'd realise how one should take that comment with not only a pinch of salt, but a whole bucket :naughty:.

He says lots of things, but wether these can be taken seriously or not, is a different matter. Fact is, the way things are done in reality are VERY different :thumb_yello::original:

Well, I don't know why Luke left the band, so I can't say Mika isn't coherent with his comments.

Besides, Mika has showed us that Luke is more than a hired musician, as we could see in the christmas video :wink2:

Well, I don't know why Luke left the band, so I can't say Mika isn't coherent with his comments.

Besides, Mika has showed us that Luke is more than a hired musician, as we could see in the christmas video :wink2:

Re Luke's replacement, I would advise you to read the old threads where it was all discussed. This would probably give you more of an insight.

By the same token though, you can't really say that Mika is coherent in his comments, if you don't have the info, right? Hehe.

Well, let's say that I would also take the Xmas video thing with a LOT of salt :naughty: when it comes to showing anything in regards to how Mika views his band members or specifically Luke :wink2:.

Or, in fact, when it comes to showing anything. I really think that, sometimes, not even Mika knows why he is doing certain things :roftl:. Or, when it comes to things like this video, I WISH that he doesn't, because the alternative is just not very pretty.

Edited by sariflor

I love how people compare bosses with Mika's position.Thing is,a boss needs you to do your job so that he can benefit from it. He won't automatically consider you a nobody that just has to react to what he's told.

Now Mika...well Mika is different. Mika is the star there.Mika makes the music,Mika has the 'visions' and whatnot. Mika does not depend on the band in any way.He pays them to instantly react to what he demands. He hired them so that they make the music in the show,nothing more. They're not there to share opinions and discuss visions. They get payed to do what they are told. Why? Because if he'd get annoyed,he could just pop in the CD with the instrumentals to all his tracks and sing along in peace.No band required.

I think it's cute how some think it's a democracy,but it really isn't :) Maybe that's why he got where he is,because he knows how to impose himself.

He is the boss,and by boss I do mean,ruler over his people. Not the bosses people have at work,that at worst are required by law to give a knuckle

And about Luke in the video...have you heard of PR strategies? :biggrin2:

He's aware of things,and he's surely not keen of his fanbase shrinking

Re Luke's replacement, I would advise you to read the old threads where it was all discussed. This would probably give you more of an insight.

By the same token though, you can't really say that Mika is coherent in his comments, if you don't have the info, right? Hehe.

Well, let's say that I would also take the Xmas video thing with a LOT of salt :naughty: when it comes to showing anything in regards to how Mika views his band members or specifically Luke :wink2:.

Or, in fact, when it comes to showing anything. I really think that, sometimes, not even Mika knows why he is doing certain things :roftl:. Or, when it comes to things like this video, I WISH that he doesn't, because the alternative is just not very pretty.

Well I wouldn't advise it- I read the whole thing and every 3 seconds someone said "I have confidential info- I'll PM you" so I'm no better informed (it was before I was activated).

I love how people compare bosses with Mika's position.Thing is,a boss needs you to do your job so that he can benefit from it. He won't automatically consider you a nobody that just has to react to what he's told.

Now Mika...well Mika is different. Mika is the star there.Mika makes the music,Mika has the 'visions' and whatnot. Mika does not depend on the band in any way.He pays them to instantly react to what he demands. He hired them so that they make the music in the show,nothing more. They're not there to share opinions and discuss visions. They get payed to do what they are told. Why? Because if he'd get annoyed,he could just pop in the CD with the instrumentals to all his tracks and sing along in peace.No band required.

I think it's cute how some think it's a democracy,but it really isn't :) Maybe that's why he got where he is,because he knows how to impose himself.

He is the boss,and by boss I do mean,ruler over his people. Not the bosses people have at work,that at worst are required by law to give a knuckle

And about Luke in the video...have you heard of PR strategies? :biggrin2:

He's aware of things,and he's surely not keen of his fanbase shrinking

Yes, I thought the comparison to business odd, but as Sariflor and Christine used it to illustrate their point I don't see why we shouldn't point out that it doesn't

Yes, I thought the comparison to business odd, but as Sariflor and Christine used it to illustrate their point I don't see why we shouldn't point out that it doesn't

not necessarily odd,but simply not the same thing.

Mika's like a little harmless(for the bigger picture) dictator :naughty:

not necessarily odd,but simply not the same thing.

Mika's like a little harmless(for the bigger picture) dictator :naughty:

I agree- with both bits (I should have said the comparison was iffy). But I've been vaguely assuming that part of the reason he had his family around so much, was so that they could interface between him and people who would otherwise take offfense.

I don't mean to criticise Mika particularly. I just think he gets so absorbed in getting things just right that he might forget other people have points of view.

I haven't read the full thread but, sincerely, I don't think any of you have the right information (above all, if the reason is related to something bad).

Of course I can't say Mika is coherent in his comments, for I don't know him, but that's my feeling :wink2:

If we chatted only about what we REALLY know about him, there would be very few threads :naughty:

I agree- with both bits (I should have said the comparison was iffy). But I've been vaguely assuming that part of the reason he had his family around so much, was so that they could interface between him and people who would otherwise take offfense.

I don't mean to criticise Mika particularly. I just think he gets so absorbed in getting things just right that he might forget other people have points of view.

I think he's very controlling to begin with. And he's also attached to his family that's why they are so involved in the decision making process. They probably are the only ones he trusts

Wouldn't want Mika as my superior :mf_rosetinted:

I haven't read the full thread but, sincerely, I don't think any of you have the right information (above all, if the reason is related to something bad).

Of course I can't say Mika is coherent in his comments, for I don't know him, but that's my feeling :wink2:

If we chatted only about what we REALLY know about him, there would be very few threads :naughty:

I think she meant it in the way that if you read you may find out more about why Luke is no longer in the band,not in the sense of "I know it all". But there is some information there that's right.

I'm sure we don't know it all. Maybe not even Luke knows it all