The Martin Waugh Thread

meimei88

And that I do think it's reasonable for MIka to specify that he wants the petticoats to show. Swishing petticoats is part of the overall look, caring whether it's Martin or Mikey in the clown costume is irrelevent detail, to me.

I don't think anyone is saying that Mika's choices are unreasonable. That's pretty much the point. It's his show, what he says goes. People don't question that even if they would prefer not to perform in a clown costume. I would prefer to wear pajamas to work but my boss and I don't discuss it and his expectation that I will follow a dress code instead of wearing pajamas is not unreasonable given my job.

You've lost me on the petticoat thing. I don't understand how that detail is more pertinent than the clown costume and why you think that Mika would bother himself with that but not what Mikey and Martin are wearing. :blink:

The petticoat incident demonstrates to me that no detail of his shows are irrelevant to him.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I wonder the same thing myself. He makes no secret of it and that's why I asked the rhetorical "haven't you seen the DVD?" question. He says point blank that he wants to make things as difficult on everyone as he possibly can. People dismiss these kinds of comments as cute, but enough of them have stacked up over the past 2 years that it's flat out denial to imagine that working with Mika is non-stop picnic.

I could have guessed that it wasn't Martin's idea to wear a clown costume but if anyone has any doubts you can see this is patently obvious during the preparations for the show. The band wasn't even around when all these design and costume ideas were being formed and executed. I would hope the band feels free to speak up if something is so restrictive or ill fitting that it prevents them from playing properly, but aside from that I can't imagine that they ever complain or question what they are asked to wear.

relating to the first paragraph... I imagine that working with Mika would be a pain in the arse cause he's so picky... would be a lot of fun though...

Second paragrph: Further to the costume discussion, I think Mika would be smart enough to listen to the band when they say that a costume is too restrictive to play in (like you said)... I I don't think he'd really listen if they said they felt ridiculous in whatever they were wearing...

It's Martin playing on Lily's album, btw- the 2 acoustic tracks

Wow.. there you go..

Speaking of, Lily's going to Sydney on the first of March for promo... I can't go (slight problem that I have no money), but I will keep an eye out for Martin...

Wait... I don't actually live in Sydney, but if there's anything on the news or in the papers, I will put it on here!

Ya know ... my phone was total Sh!te when i took this video .... But mika's excitement toward the crowd that day made me reminise when i watched it back the otherday on youtube .... here was one where he was joking around with martin in may 07 at birmingham .....

And this one - martin actually used to wear his own clothes - as did mikey ... Martin wore a black shirt and blue jeans that night

.... 1.11 ...... the quality isnt fantastic , as i say - my phone was cack !!! But hope it helps !!

I guess mika has decided to go his own way involving his shows , and has advanced somewhat ... sad but true me thinks !..... ive realised alot of change since ive watched back ... Involving stage clothes .. to be expected but Kinda shocked when i watch things back and how much things have changed!... i suppose you dont see things changing when its right in front of your eyes all the time !

Sound's terrible, but it did the job...

That was just after I joined MFC!

Mika was the same as that in Sydney... The most outrageous thing that happened on stage was Mika telling us a story about a letter he got, wearing the farmyard necklace before HJ (then giving it to Martin to wear), and the band having maths symbols on their faces... Huge diference form that to now...

Nice vids. Do you think being on an album means a lot to an artist? Royalties and stuff? Or do they just get paid for the session?

I don't know for sure, but I assume he would get paid for the session... unless he wrote a song, then I assume he'd get royalties...

May was my first gig ... but i que'd at 4.30 pm ... and still got front row !

We queued at 3pm, got front row... though people wre sitting on the steps and they wouldn't move when we went to the loo before the opening act... bloody rude Sydneysiders...

Where has all his excitement and spontaneity gone?? He used to be so 'loose' chatting and joking with the crowd, swearing even, just having a blast. I miss that, and I wish that he'd bring some of it back.

His interaction with both band and audience was a million times better than the super professional 'stage show' of now , and I personally think that it's a loss...I'd happily trade any of his shows of today to go back to those lovely shows of then. Then it felt more like a concert and less of a show. Nowadays, especially after Paris, it feels more like a show and like the concert part of it is not the focus, but just another element.

I would like to see the focus going back to the heartfelt music again, instead of these 'Broadway type' productions.

That just reminded me...

I didn't want to say anything before in case the fangirls attacked me (:naughty:), but I found PdP was a bit too showy for me... There was too much focus on the show aspect of it rather than the performing... And for someone like me who tends to focus on whatever is right in front of me, I found myself focussing more on whatever was in front of the camera (usually a performer or the bloody big dragon) rather than Mika.

I remember how people were raving about Mika's Salt Lake City show, and how great it was... from what I understand, there was heaps of interaction, and it was very much about his performance rather than puttng on a show... Even Sydney was jsut about the performance, and the only little gimmicky things were the balloons, glitter, the big girls, lollipop girls, lollipop boys and the big foam letters... and those were part of it, not taking away from what Mika himself was doing...

I cannot conceive why anyone would queue then head for the bar!

Dunno... I've only done it once, and won't do it again... too bloody expensive!

That just reminded me...

I didn't want to say anything before in case the fangirls attacked me (:naughty:), but I found PdP was a bit too showy for me... There was too much focus on the show aspect of it rather than the performing... And for someone like me who tends to focus on whatever is right in front of me, I found myself focussing more on whatever was in front of the camera (usually a performer or the bloody big dragon) rather than Mika.

I remember how people were raving about Mika's Salt Lake City show, and how great it was... from what I understand, there was heaps of interaction, and it was very much about his performance rather than puttng on a show... Even Sydney was jsut about the performance, and the only little gimmicky things were the balloons, glitter, the big girls, lollipop girls, lollipop boys and the big foam letters... and those were part of it, not taking away from what Mika himself was doing...

I agree!:thumb_yello:

In the PdP DVD when Mika says something like: And now what's left to put in is the music, it's all about the music, the music that is the most important thing of all!

My thought was: does he really even has to say that?

And somewhere between the lines it felt like he actually had to remind himself to not get lost in all the theatrical things around his musical performance.:blink:

mika & co decide on what the band should wear and the band wears it.

end of discussion.

No question, just acceptance. Their 'uniform' is just whatever Mika and co come up with at any given time.

Ok :thumb_yello:

If so, then I just hope they’ll never be asked to wear anything like this :roftl:

a3713f.jpg

I agree!:thumb_yello:

In the PdP DVD when Mika says something like: And now what's left to put in is the music, it's all about the music, the music that is the most important thing of all!

My thought was: does he really even has to say that?

And somewhere between the lines it felt like he actually had to remind himself to not get lost in all the theatrical things around his musical performance.:blink:

I think he actually was reminding himself that it was actually a concert, not a stage show... :naughty:

I guess that if this music thing doesn't work out for him, maybe he could be a stage designer!

If so, then I just hope they’ll never be asked to wear anything like this:

a3713f.jpg

:lmfao:

It might be a bit difficult to play a guitar in that outfit. :blink:

I think he actually was reminding himself that it was actually a concert, not a stage show... :naughty:

I guess that if this music thing doesn't work out for him, maybe he could be a stage designer!

It's an excellent idea!:thumb_yello:

Didn't we have thread somewhere about alternative choice of career for Mr Man?:naughty:

Okay, my internet liked me enough to let me watch the video..

Damn Martin looks good there! Though the more I see him playing with Lily, the more I think he won't be coming back to play with Mika...

And even though that sentence is quite innocent, if you think about it, it's kind of chickeny...

Martin was in NY on the Today Show this morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z07G0TPLy9Y&fmt=22

Oh and I think Lily Allen was there too. :naughty:

Thanks! Nice vid. I can't believe this, I am really getting into her music :naughty:. Loving it.

Damn Martin looks good there! Though the more I see him playing with Lily, the more I think he won't be coming back to play with Mika...

And even though that sentence is quite innocent, if you think about it, it's kind of chickeny...

To the first bit: I agree. He is looking good and very comfortable. Somehow it's just all looking like 'the end of an era'.

I really hope for Mika's sake that (if) now that Luke and Martin are gone, he just gets a fresh new band. :wink2: I don't mind Cherisse, but the other two muppets are not my cup of tea at all, and now that he lost the good ones...well, probably time for a radical change and for a nice new band, IMO!

To the chickeny bit: girl, how dirty are you? :roftl:

Okay, my internet liked me enough to let me watch the video..

Sad, but true

Sad, but true

Indeed.

I'm watching the rerun of The Sunday Night Project with Lily and he's getting all the close ups going in and out of the commercials.

Just one thing I noticed, the whole time he's playing you can see he's itching to jump around, like he did while playing for Mika. But it looks like he catches himself and pulls back, and it's such a shame, as he always seemed to love running around and playing to the crowd. I don't think he'll be able to do that at Lilys gigs, the crowd won't be the same.

I'm not saying he's not enjoying playing for her, just that he looks awkward in relation to the other three guys playing.

Indeed.

I'm watching the rerun of The Sunday Night Project with Lily and he's getting all the close ups going in and out of the commercials.

Just one thing I noticed, the whole time he's playing you can see he's itching to jump around, like he did while playing for Mika. But it looks like he catches himself and pulls back, and it's such a shame, as he always seemed to love running around and playing to the crowd. I don't think he'll be able to do that at Lilys gigs, the crowd won't be the same.

I'm not saying he's not enjoying playing for her, just that he looks awkward in relation to the other three guys playing.

yes rose,i notice the same things on last videos :wink2: