2007-06-08: Los Angeles - Magic and Mayhem with Mika in LA

DaMango

Here is my account of the June 8th show at the Avalon. I hope you won’t mind the long read. Enjoy the pictures!

From the moment I heard that Mika would be performing in CA, I desperately wanted to go. I live 2 states away, and this was the closest he would come to my area. I flew from Seattle to LA on Friday morning for the concert. My sister came with me, even though she hadn’t really heard of Mika. I told her I would go to Disneyland with her if she came to the concert with me. Fair enough, right?

We got into the long line outside the club 2 hours before the show started, but we still managed to get a spot at the very front stage. I was thrilled to be so close. I met a lot of wonderful people before the show, including a sweet girl named Minnie who would be dancing in the Lollipop number. The lollipop girls made their rounds and passed out candy to everyone. I even had one of them give Mika a gift for me. I made some “got mika?” buttons, and wanted him to have one. I also gave him one of my favorite toys from my collection, a little plastic figure of the Tazmanian Devil in a super hero costume. I heard him mention in an interview that he loved Taz as a child, so I wanted him to have it.

I was already having such a wonderful time before the concert, that the actual show was practically overwhelming. Mika’s stage presence just blew me away! As I watched him I thought, “This is what he was born to do.” I am a musician also, so I was happy to someone living their dream, because it’s my dream too. His voice was top notch, and the band was tight. Now, I had never been to a Mika concert before, but based on the concert videos I’ve seen, it seemed like Mika really turned on the sex appeal during this show. He teased the audience with swiveling hips, and most memorably, he removed his shirt! Or should I say, he slowly and seductively unbuttoned his shirt, then tore it from his shoulders before ripping into a violent percussion solo. Yes, that’s more like it. :bleh: He also had no problem exposing his bright green underwear, which served as a nice splash of color above his tight black tux pants. The show ended with Mika dressed as the world’s tallest, most curly haired chicken. The dancers looked fabulous, especially the honorary lollipop girls.

Then, the show was over. I stayed where I was, in hopes of getting a chance to say hi to Mika, but the security guards chased out anyone who didn’t have a special pass. I was very sad because I didn’t even know there were passes to be had. I thought the environment would be much more casual. I left the floor with disappointment. I decided (much to my sister’s dismay) to wait it out until Mika made his exit. Luckily, I didn’t have to wait alone because I ran into Grey’s Anatomy star, T.R. Knight. He was partying with some very handsome guy friends, and they took my sister and me under their collective wing. I told T.R. that I had traveled from Seattle for the show, and that I did not want to leave without getting to say hello to Mika. He pulled some strings with the club security, and smuggled my sister and me into the after party upstairs! My sis and I had fun dancing, but we were very nervous because one of the security guys was dead set on throwing us out. :thumbdown: I talked to Martin and Cherisse, and got a picture with them. I even gave Cherisse one of my super cool buttons. I also said hello to Mika’s mom, who is just so sweet and adorable. All the while I wondered when Mika would be coming down to the party. I saw my friend Minnie again, and she said that Mika was exhausted and wanted to leave. A few minutes later, I saw Mika rush past us, waving goodbye. The security guard wouldn’t let anyone follow him out the door, so he was gone. Let me tell you. My little heart sank. We had waited so long, and jumped through so many hoops, and yet I still didn’t get to talk to Mika. I followed Minnie out another door, walked outside, and prepared to go back to my hotel. Just then, I heard someone say, “Look, Mika’s coming out the front door!” Now, I don’t know how I got to the end of the block so quickly, but I must have booked it! I got there just in time to see Mika walk through a crowd of fans, and climb into his black SUV. Drat! My plan was foiled again! The SUV began to drive off when they realized they had left his sister Yasmine standing on the sidewalk. They pulled over to pick her up, and when the door opened, I got brave and took my chance…

Mika was sitting in the far seat of the SUV, staring out the window. I called his name, and he turned around. His sleepy face was donned with the cutest pair of glasses and a weary smile. I asked, “Did you like the button, and the little Taz I gave you?” His face lit up and he said, “I love them, thank you so much!” I didn’t know what to say after that, but these few words came out of my mouth with no help, “Mika, I think you are just fantastic. You really are.” He leaned his head back against the seat, still smiling and said, “Thank you. I love you.” The car door began to close, so I blurted out, “I love you too darling, goodbye!” Then, he drove away. I just stood there. Part of me wanted to faint, the other part felt like a big giant dork! Why did I say that? Oh well, at least I said something, and best of all, he told me he loved me. :wub2: Sure I didn’t get a photo with him or an autograph, but I got my moment. I felt like I was 16 all over again, and that my greatest wish was to meet my favorite rock star. My wish had been granted, and I couldn’t ask for more.

Now, some pictures...

A blurry view of the stage. The fog machine made it hard to take clear photos.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/UCantHavaDaMango/Mika%20Concert%20LA/MikaStage.jpg

My favorite photo of the night:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/UCantHavaDaMango/Mika%20Concert%20LA/MikaScream.jpg

Hold onto your hats, this is one sexy back! :wink2:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/UCantHavaDaMango/Mika%20Concert%20LA/Shirtless.jpg

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/UCantHavaDaMango/Mika%20Concert%20LA/SexyBack.jpg

Funky Chicken:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/UCantHavaDaMango/Mika%20Concert%20LA/MikaChicken1.jpg

Note Cherisse's decapitated Rabbit head!

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/UCantHavaDaMango/Mika%20Concert%20LA/MikaChicken2.jpg

T.R. Knight and me:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/UCantHavaDaMango/Mika%20Concert%20LA/RaniTR.jpg

Martin, Cherisse and Me:

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/UCantHavaDaMango/Mika%20Concert%20LA/MartinRaniCherisse.jpg

Sweet dancer girl, Minnie and Me. (She and her friend Sue gave my sister and me a ride to our hotel after the show! How wonderful are they?)

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/UCantHavaDaMango/Mika%20Concert%20LA/MinnieRani.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the report! What a night!

I think your moment with Mika worths a lot more than a picture or an autograph because of it's uniqueness!

btw how did your sister like the show?

Thanks for the report! What a night!

I think your moment with Mika worths a lot more than a picture or an autograph because of it's uniqueness!

btw how did your sister like the show?

She had a pretty good time. She loved the opening act (I did too), and bought Sarah's CD. She thought Mika had a great voice, and she was very entertained. She's quite the little networker, so she enjoyed meeting so many cool people. She just got annoyed when I flat out refused to leave, but hey, my patience paid off. :biggrin2:

Oh, and her favorite part of the concert was the chicken suit! :roftl:

that is absolutely awesome!!!! i like your braveness and how you just went for it!!!! How sweet of him to say that and to be that kind after being so tired!!!! Most people would be all grumpy, but of course, hes not like most people!!!!!!! I still cant believe how nice that was, and how nice he is....

Congratulations!!!!! Thats amazing!!!! That show was amazing btw!!!! congrats again!! <333

Aww, that last part when you two talked was so adorable! Sounded like it would be in a movie or something. :wub2:

LOVE those pics, by the way! :punk:

Oh yes, I felt like I was in a scene right out of an old Hollywood movie! (Very appropriate, considering the location. :naughty: )

When he drove away, I could almost hear the sad violins playing in the back of my mind. :biggrin2:

hey dear! sorry we didnt talk much! thank u for the badge! i love it :)

and i know mika got one to :) hehe he told me in the dressing room...when i showed him the shirt i made...cause the badge was on it :)

Great review, thanks for sharing. I'm really happy for you- you got to talk to him and pass on a gift too!!!

He is getting more and more confident, I think its really funny how he plays to the crowd- but the pic with his back showing doesn't really do it for me!!! Oh well, you can't have it all!!!:naughty:

I'm so glad you got to talk to him DaMango! As I always say where there's a will there's a way. You just have to persevere.

T.R. Knight is such a doll. It's funny that you had to rely on a big TV star to get you backstage at a show for an artist that most Americans have probably never heard of.

Thank you for your really nice report!!...I'm very happy for you all!!...sorry but was T.R. Knight at Mika's concert?

Yes he was! He looked like he really enjoyed himself too. He even had a Butterfly Lounge button on his shirt. :biggrin2:

hey dear! sorry we didnt talk much! thank u for the badge! i love it :)

and i know mika got one to :) hehe he told me in the dressing room...when i showed him the shirt i made...cause the badge was on it :)

Hi Sivan! I also wished we could have talked more, but you were busy. I was so excited to see you as a lollipop girl!

I'm glad you liked the badge. I made about 6 of them at 2am that morning, so it was a last minute project. I'm kind of kicking myself for not making a bucket full of them, and selling them before the show. I could have earned back some of the money I spent on my trip. :naughty:

I'm glad you had such a great time! And Mika *loves* you!! :) That's an amazing memory!!!

I'm really amazed with how assertive you were- getting into the party, chasing Mika's SUV, shouting to get his attention.... I wish I could be that way! :thumb_yello:

I'm glad you had such a great time! And Mika *loves* you!! :) That's an amazing memory!!!

I'm really amazed with how assertive you were- getting into the party, chasing Mika's SUV, shouting to get his attention.... I wish I could be that way! :thumb_yello:

The funny thing is that I am not assertive AT ALL! Ever! I usually let opportunities pass by me because I'm afraid of getting in trouble or upsetting someone. For some reason, I was brave when it came to Mika. It probably had something to do with the fact that I paid through the nose for tickets, along with hotel and airfare just to see him, so I wasn't about to let my gentle nature screw me over this time! :biggrin2:

Wow your report brings back so many good memories I got the "love you" thing too and you get shivers don't you! Yep if only was 16 again! lol!

Just a shame he was so tired and his eyes must hurt if he put his glasses on. Lets hope he had a nice hot cup of cocoa and a good sleepy.

Lovely photos and I like backs too-yes I am peculiar and glad to see its hair free! lol!

Glad you enjoyed yourself!

xxx

oh thank you for the great report, it's amazing!! no pic or autogrph but you've really had your moment, wow!! what a great night!

and T.R. Knight! i love him on GA! so sweet of him to get your and your sister with his friends!!

DaMango, you're a girl after my own heart. I'm in Seattle as well so when he finally makes his way to the NW we'll have to work together and plan how to get some quality time with Mister Mika. Don't worry about being assertive. I'm not afraid to ask anybody for anything.

Your experience sounded like a dream and surely made your trip to L.A. SO worth it! Congratulations on getting up your gumption and not giving up!

You rock! AsInHappy