MIKA in UK & Ireland Press - 2015

dcdeb

sic

Mika.jpg

Mika is a little jittery on stage tonight at the Adelphi Theatre. He confesses that he’s seen Sunset Boulevard here five times and being on the same planks is making him nervous. Whatever he says he feels, his hyperactive gyrations and jolts in between a backing band, all clad in white shirt and braces (Mika sparkles alone in diamond-studded jeans and shoes), show otherwise.

The Mika-mania surrounding 2007’s single Grace Kelly might have punctured somewhat since then, but with a career made up of theatrics, shameless pop melodies and downright glamorous fun, the audience is absorbed by his every note – and they are high – and move. His piano playing is at times big and emotive but he can’t keep still long enough before he gets too twitchy and has to jump up, leaving his keyboardist to do the rest because he’s more at ease singing, expressing with his body. Eccentric as his music may be, though, the stage is a fairly subdued one — an arcing HEAVEN sign surrounded by flashing bulbs the only flamboyance on display. 

Mika is the best of 80s pop rolled into one. Pilfering Belinda Carlisle on We Are Golden and Cutting Crew on Relax, Take It Easy, the latter of which erupts the room into a frenzy, it’s hard to see any backsides on seats as the set goes on. He lets the crowd into his world often, asking the three tiers to sing along to Underwater, and exposing himself at one point by losing the microphone and singing unaided – a vulnerability that reveals his strength as a singer (he resonates mellifluously around the compact venue) and performing artist.

The encore sees a curious costume change (even more twinkling) considering it’s only for one song, but the cheers and audience sing-a-long to Love Today will surely leave Mika feeling that his fans love him tonight, tomorrow and for as long as he keeps hitting those bewitching high notes. 

Verdict: star-active.pngstar-active.pngstar-active.pngstar-active.pngstar-inactive.png
  • Like 2

I loved the review and adored the comments on the site. Yes, the UK needs to embrace Mika again. I hope he books more UK venues for more gigs. I'm convinced he can still weave his magic spell on our lonely little islands and be loved in the UK, not the same dizzy way as he was before, but in a more golden and lasting way, as a complete artist and musician.

I would have commented, but I don't have facebook.

I loved the review and adored the comments on the site. Yes, the UK needs to embrace Mika again. I hope he books more UK venues for more gigs. I'm convinced he can still weave his magic spell on our lonely little islands and be loved in the UK, not the same dizzy way as he was before, but in a more golden and lasting way, as a complete artist and musician.

I would have commented, but I don't have facebook.

Even a couple of extra dates would be better than nothing.  We've been ignored for too long.

• 1 month later...

found this very positive UK review of the 2 disc No Place In Heaven re-release on a "website for classic, metal, & progressive rock"

http://getreadytorock.me.uk/blog/2015/11/album-review-mika-no-place-in-heaven/

:cheerful_h4h:  

Album review: MIKA – No Place In Heaven

Posted on November 19, 2015 by Jason Ritchie

**** (4 out of 5 stars)

Republic Records/Universal [Released 13.11.15]

Now a quick rant about guilty pleasures in music. For me there is no such thing, music is either good or bad and is there to be enjoyed and share. I know we like genres and these can help in discovering new music but this guilty pleasure is just marketing baloney. Take Mika, an artist with a great vocal very reminiscent of Freddie Mercury in his musical adaptability. Not your average fare for rock fans, but you are missing a treat as this album is chock full of 70′s themed pop and pomp.

This a two CD special edition with disc one featuring his album ‘No Place In Heaven’ released earlier this year in the summer. It has everything from the harmony vocal overload on ‘All She Wants’ through to the throw away pop fun of ‘Boum Boum Boum’. Mika shows a more serious side on ‘No Place In Heaven’, a song not unlike Freddie Mercury’s solo work. ‘Hurts’ with Mika and a piano backing is another moving song. Even in a stripped down version this song has layered backing vocals building to a crescendo on the chorus. I will admit some of the overtly disco numbers like ‘Je Chante’ have me exercising the skip button!

The second disc has Mika performing live backed by L’Orchestre Synphonique de Montreal. The set pulls songs from across his four albums to date and the songs come out with some fresh sounds. His big hit ‘Grace Kelly’ sounds wonderful in the orchestral setting and listening to ‘Boum Boum Boum’ you could be transported to a nightclub in the 1930′s.

‘Relax (Take It Easy)’ is done like a West End ballad and ‘Happy Ending’ he uses the female backing vocalists to good effect. Proof that a good song can be preformed in many styles and still sound good. It could have easily veered into Michale Buble territory, luckily it doesn’t.

Two CD’s of pop bliss and fans of Mika will be drawn in the second disc of orchestral reworkings of his music. Perfectly time just in time for Christmas!

Edited by kreacher
  • Like 5

found this very positive UK review of the 2 disc No Place In Heaven re-release on a "website for classic, metal, & progressive rock"

http://getreadytorock.me.uk/blog/2015/11/album-review-mika-no-place-in-heaven/

:cheerful_h4h:  

Album review: MIKA – No Place In Heaven

Posted on November 19, 2015 by Jason Ritchie

**** (4 out of 5 stars)

:thumb_yello: Thanks Dee :hug: Lovely review!!  :wub:  YES, the 2 disc alb. NPIH is a treat -  "chock full of 70s themed pop and pomp" - and that's why I LOVE it... :fisch:  :teehee:

Love,love

me

• 9 months later...

is there a 2016 version of this thread? I found an english article form 2016 september but i'm not sure where to put it?

if there is none you can open a new thread for 2016

yes, pls go ahead, we have no 2016 thread for UK & Ireland Press  :thumb_yello:

• 1 year later...

30th Nov 2015

WOW247

http://www.wow247.co.uk/2015/11/30/bbc-sound-of-2016-previous-winners/

2007 – Mika

GettyImages-479344650.thumb.jpg.14292cb2629faa5ca77202793c344761.jpg

If it wasn’t bad enough that Mika came first in 2007, The Twang came second. Oh dear, is all we can say. Where is Mika now? He’s still making music and touring, with a larger than expected fan base. Good for him.

• Like 1