MIKA in UK & Ireland Press - 2015

dcdeb

Well, maybe if he's on radio2, he will announce something? That'd be nice for sure.

Anyway about how it works with the gigs, i think at some point in 2012 mika told a fan that he'd have to be invited for a tour by a tour promoter. They pay for everything (venue, advertising, ticket distribution, travel, hotels, staff salaries,...) and only do that if they can expect to get some money out of it in the end. I also don't get why he can't just do smaller venues, i love those intimate gigs and he could even sell out these venues in germany. But well, apparently it's not possible for some reason, or he doesn't want to. At least in germany. Hope it's different for the uk. ;)

Anyway about how it works with the gigs, i think at some point in 2012 mika told a fan that he'd have to be invited for a tour by a tour promoter. They pay for everything (venue, advertising, ticket distribution, travel, hotels, staff salaries,...) and only do that if they can expect to get some money out of it in the end. I also don't get why he can't just do smaller venues, i love those intimate gigs and he could even sell out these venues in germany. But well, apparently it's not possible for some reason, or he doesn't want to. At least in germany. Hope it's different for the uk. ;)

I don't know who he told this to and where they live but this is not how things work in North America. I worked for a booking agency and we had a roster of clients. It was our agents' job to go out there and book the artists. I think Mika's agency in London has a sister agency in Toronto and one of the agents I worked with now runs it so I am sure it operates similarly in the UK.

Mika did a 17 date tour in North America and he didn't have the same promoter at all shows. It is extremely unlikely that these different promoters simultaneously "invited" him in the way we think of an invite. As if it's a party or something. No artist would ever start their career if that is the case because no one is going to invite someone they've never heard of with no touring experience to their "party" if you know what I mean.

I would think it is more of a situation of putting it out there that he wants to tour and promoters come back with offers. If Mika can get a gig in Minneapolis or Portland he can get a gig in Manchester or Glasgow. It's the same process.

I've just wrote a massive comment. If you care to read it here it is:

The problem I have with this review is it comes off as extremely biased. It’s trying to speak for all of his fans saying “this isn’t the Mika we want” and “we want this from him and that from him” when that’s an incredibly unfair and untrue thing to say. Just because you’re stuck in 2007 it doesn’t mean the rest of us are. I’m not trying to speak for the entire fanbase either because like I stated, that would be irresponsible, but being a part of said fanbase and knowing tons of other fans, reading what people are saying online from all over the world, seeing the reactions on video from countless gigs and TV shows, thus far I can say without doubt that overall everyone seems to appreciate this new album and this new Mika. Personally, I’m glad he’s not 2007 Mika anymore. Doing the same thing over and over and over is destructive for an artist in so many ways. I always believed he was more than campy, over-the-top, flamboyant pop music (as people such as yourself always love to label him as). He’s a true artist, and with that comes a multi-faceted creative personality, a flexibility and innate hunger to transform oneself and push your own boundaries; an eagerness to grow and evolve. Something that you and every other narrow-minded listener seems to lack. I have enjoyed watching Mika evolve, I have enjoyed what his music has become and moreover I am proud of the person and artist he has become. You make it sound like him being more open and honest in his music is a bad thing, but I couldn’t disagree more. It’s an inspiring example of self-examination of one’s life, an understanding of oneself, and a willingness to put it out there for others to hear. My life motto is “you never know who needs to hear your story” which is why I also make a point to be honest with others and unafraid/unashamed to share. I think despite whether you feel this openness on the album worked or not (for you) you can’t deny the fact that it is something to be applauded. Also, whether you realize it or not he has always been this way. Even the “big camp” songs you love so much are biographical and intensely personal. The only difference is now it’s a more straight-forward message without distraction or disguise. This is the new Mika: the person who knows who he is and isn’t afraid of it. It’s a Mika who I believe to be quite admirable and capable of anything. Maybe you should have listened a little closer before calling him a Robbie Williams wannabe, because I can tell you for a fact he’s not trying to be anything or anyone but himself. But if you can’t handle this Mika maybe it is better for you to stay in your protective 2007 bubble. As for the rest of us, we’ve moved on. Also, his big hit was “GRACE Kelly”, not “Gene Kelly”. For someone who seems so stuck on that phase of Mika’s career, you’d think you would know what the song is called.

I could have said more but I ran out of steam. I think this is ranty enough and ts my points across.

No wonder Mika isn't focusing on the Uk anymore. Only 1 gig in London ... Let's just chill and enjoy his music, his haters just seem very jealous and unhappy that such an unconventional guy is so talented! 

See now, this is more like it! It's so hard for UK fans because we don't want to come across as though we are bossing Mika about, or that he is our slave.

We just want a bit of positive news.

All that we want, not the sun and the moon

Or tweets with his dogs in his big living room

All we want

Is to know that he is back in the UK

And that soon Mika will say

That there will be gigs, and he'll say so

An he'll be on the radio

It is just a simple solution

To stop UK confusion

To know he still has wondrous plans

To make happy his UK fans

All we want

All we want

All we want

Is some UK news.

That's a bit of good news. It's made my day.

Thank you Mika!

I feel for u because I only understand English and when he writes or speaks Italian or French, I feel so left out! But he is really representative of how global and yet small the world now is. Kudos to him!

I don't hold out much hope for any more UK gigs, as I don't think he has even sold out the Adelphi gig.

I think most of the UK has forgotten he even exists. 

Our best hope is that something happens to get him some attention again - music used in an advert, appearance on a chat show - and then maybe he could do a couple of small venues.  They could be marketed as intimate exclusive gigs so selling a few hundred tickets wouldn't be seen as a failure.

Adelphi is sold out , I got my 3 tickets via other channels as the ones for resale were in pairs and very few, about 20 tickets.

That is nonsense though. Everyone (including Mika) has played in venues where the capacity was significantly smaller than the Adelphi. I have seen Mika at least 5 times in venues that were less than 800 people - during a regular tour. These were not promos or TV shows or private gigs. They were dates on his tour. I saw him just 3 months ago in a room of 450 people.

The only reason he wouldn't sell enough tickets is if the venue is too large. This is the case with every artist regardless of how many tickets they can sell. Just because he can no longer sell out Brixton Academy 3 nights in a row doesn't mean it's impossible for a promoter to book him into a venue. I would guess that it's simply not worth Mika's time because he's working on a million other things that are making him money or potentially opening up opportunities for him.

When UK doesn't pay as other Europe countries do.. hard to make some deals.

For example, if France, the 2 hr distance of neighbour country pays certain amount, that's the "Market Price" in that region(Europe) and Mika should be paid like that in UK to be fair to other countires... Imagine that Mika get paid 1 Mil dollars for 1 gig in France for 100 mins gig in front of 10,000 ppl , then UK only offers 0.1 Mil for 100 mins gig in front of 1,000 ppl, how unfair is it if Mika accept it.... thinking of he should put same energy, same set, same time, and pay same money to crews. Maybe 'One promotional gig" might be excused, gets understadings of French/Italian agencies who pays a lot, explaining that Mika does one gig in UK at discounted price, only for promotional reason.... 

Well, maybe if he's on radio2, he will announce something? That'd be nice for sure.

Yes That's exactly what I heard from articles about this market. The artists should get offers to have some tours. If one artist are ready for tour, the artist's agency send out offers to local promotors of each countries. Normally promotors in certain region get united and make groups. For example, Korean promotors work with Japanese promotors, shares the offers of each agencies, or send out Asian tour offer to certain artist, like Package deal. Only in 2011 Mika could have a sole MIka gig in Seoul, even though he was not in tour season, simply because the Huge Sponsor "Hyundai Card" wanted him very much.  

Edited by Yuna
  • Like 2

Thanks for the explanation Christine. I just know that in Germany while ofc there are several local promoters in each place who do the actual booking of the venue, ticket sales etc, there are only a few countrywide tour companies, and that's where the local companies get their orders from. For example, so far mika would be booked for a german tour by marek lieberberg (mlk.com) and the local promoter in munich would be pgm (http://promoters-group-munich.de). Surely that doesn't mean that an artist can't go to a local promoter and ask them to book them for a certain city. But i think unknown artists would have a hard time getting a deal, unless they pay all the expenses themselves

• Like 1

For example, if France, the 2 hr distance of neighbour country pays certain amount, that's the "Market Price" in that region(Europe) and Mika should be paid like that in UK to be fair to other countires... Imagine that Mika get paid 1 Mil dollars for 1 gig in France for 100 mins gig in front of 10,000 ppl , then UK only offers 0.1 Mil for 100 mins gig in front of 1,000 ppl, how unfair is it if Mika accept it.... thinking of he should put same energy, same set, same time, and pay same money to crews.

Yes, this is the crux of the matter. Mika can spend his time making more money elsewhere. I think he has done tours at a loss in the US because there is still potential for him there to gain a bigger audience or build a reputation so they can sell his music to TV and films, etc. NPIH has already come and gone in the UK so it seems lucky that there's even one show in London unless he has some other promotional plans soon.

Yes, this is the crux of the matter. Mika can spend his time making more money elsewhere. I think he has done tours at a loss in the US because there is still potential for him there to gain a bigger audience or build a reputation so they can sell his music to TV and films, etc. NPIH has already come and gone in the UK so it seems lucky that there's even one show in London unless he has some other promotional plans soon.

Indeed. Simply we can assume that Mika sells out 1,000 ppl venue, at $30 ticket, then earns $30,000 revenue. With that, the agency should pay for the venue rent, more than 10+ crew of plane tickets, hotel rooms, and all expenses during the stay, and tax. We can simply imagine that Mika hardly get paid or even might took all the loss. He can do that in US for promotional reason, that he could have chance to sell more records by taking that risk, as US is a Huge market. Then that could be considered as "investment" to get into US market. 

Our rich neighbour, 2nd biggest market, Japan, promotors often take risks, inviting western artist who might not make money, to simply check out if he works in Japanese market.... Thanks to their effort, Korean promotors sometimes have chance to hijack artists during their journey to Japan, at very low price than that of Europe/US markets. We say that, if we want more Mika in Korea, Mika should be big in Japan, and Hong Kong, and other asian countries, and then things would be easier. When bigger United-Asia agencies co-invites Mika, the Asia-tour could be one of priority options that Mika can choose ..  (than Swatch promotions, at least  :mf_rosetinted: )

Edited by Yuna
  • Like 2

Yes, that falls under my "it's not possible or he doesn't want to". If he doesn't earn any money with it, or lots less than elsewhere, who can blame him. No one would work for free if they had a choice (apart from charity, but i guess gigs for abandoned fans doesn't fall in this category... :teehee:)

For example, if France, the 2 hr distance of neighbour country pays certain amount, that's the "Market Price" in that region(Europe) and Mika should be paid like that in UK to be fair to other countires... Imagine that Mika get paid 1 Mil dollars for 1 gig in France for 100 mins gig in front of 10,000 ppl , then UK only offers 0.1 Mil for 100 mins gig in front of 1,000 ppl, how unfair is it if Mika accept it.... thinking of he should put same energy, same set, same time, and pay same money to crews. Maybe 'One promotional gig" might be excused, gets understadings of French/Italian agencies who pays a lot, explaining that Mika does one gig in UK at discounted price, only for promotional reason.... 

Yes That's exactly what I heard from articles about this market. The artists should get offers to have some tours. If one artist are ready for tour, the artist's agency send out offers to local promotors of each countries. Normally promotors in certain region get united and make groups. For example, Korean promotors work with Japanese promotors, shares the offers of each agencies, or send out Asian tour offer to certain artist, like Package deal. Only in 2011 Mika could have a sole MIka gig in Seoul, even though he was not in tour season, simply because the Huge Sponsor "Hyundai Card" wanted him very much.  

this is exactly what I read about other artists on FB. One told his fans not to ask him to come to this or that City because it´s not up to him to book it. This Artist explained that when he want to do a tour he calls his tour promoter and tells him when and how Long he wants to tour and the tour promoter is looking for countries, cities or regions where the artists were asked by the different concert agencies. If there isn´t enough request in a Country ( like for Mika in Germany ) the agencies don´t book the artist. Of course an Artist can book a club or a small venue for himself but they wouldn´t earn enough Money and to say the truth who of us would work for nothing?

• Like 1

this is exactly what I read about other artists on FB. One told his fans not to ask him to come to this or that City because it´s not up to him to book it. This Artist explained that when he want to do a tour he calls his tour promoter and tells him when and how Long he wants to tour and the tour promoter is looking for countries, cities or regions where the artists were asked by the different concert agencies. If there isn´t enough request in a Country ( like for Mika in Germany ) the agencies don´t book the artist. Of course an Artist can book a club or a small venue for himself but they wouldn´t earn enough Money and to say the truth who of us would work for nothing?

Btw I forgot to say that there was a Report on the Internet somewhere who spoke about Newcomers and their Labels and there it was told that Newcomers at the beginn of their carrier got the first tour paid by the Label to make them known. Afterwards they have to finance their tours by themselves.....

• Like 2

Btw I forgot to say that there was a Report on the Internet somewhere who spoke about Newcomers and their Labels and there it was told that Newcomers at the beginn of their carrier got the first tour paid by the Label to make them known. Afterwards they have to finance their tours by themselves.....

Exactly. To tell the truth, artists can not choose where to tour and which venue... the artists are invited by "market" who smells money from them. 

and yes It often conbines with record companies, means local labels (Universal music) co-works with concert promotors. If record sales good (or think would be good) local labels contribute or invest money for the tour too. When local label is negative about certain artists' market power, it's harder to arrange gigs in that country as promotors nomally do not take risks arranging tours that even local label does not pay attention to. "Local label's interests and attention" is one of very important factors to arrange tours in certain country. 

Edited by Yuna
  • Like 2

Exactly. To tell the truth, artists can not choose where to tour and which venue... the artists are invited by "market" who smells money from them. 

and yes It often conbines with record companies, means local labels (Universal music) co-works with concert promotors. If record sales good (or think would be good) local labels contribute or invest money for the tour too. When local label is negative about certain artists' market power, it's harder to arrange gigs in that country as promotors nomally do not take risks arranging tours that even local label does not pay attention to. "Local label's interests and attention" is one of very important factors to arrange tours in certain country. 

Well, that would certainly explain the lack of gigs in germany. :mf_rosetinted:

Well, that would certainly explain the lack of gigs in germany. :mf_rosetinted:

I'm sure that Mika would like to have tour in Germany so much. But he didn't get appropriate offer yet... maybe because Universal Music Germany is very busy taking care of other pop singers on chart tops.. :sad:

:yes: Yes, it's all very simple - like I've said so many times before, it's all a matter of offer and demand - like in all other business, money rules the world...  ;)  

Love,love

me 

• Like 1

Yes, that falls under my "it's not possible or he doesn't want to". If he doesn't earn any money with it, or lots less than elsewhere, who can blame him. No one would work for free if they had a choice (apart from charity, but i guess gigs for abandoned fans doesn't fall in this category... :teehee:)

Yes, I do not blame him at all. I just think it's misleading to say that it's not possible and he has to wait for an invite. It's not like Mika sits at home and waits for a promoter in Minneapolis to beg him to come play there. There are artists that are nowhere near as big a draw as Mika who tour everywhere all the time. I have never met anyone who knows who Yelle is except other Mika fans, and the brother in law of a friend who was her Canadian promoter in 2008. But she comes to North America on a regular basis and does more extensive tours than Mika does. It is not a question of no promoter being able to make money from Mika, it's a question of Mika not benefitting enough to bother.

Someone out there is always able to make money, even from the smallest acts. Otherwise there wouldn't be any gigs you could go to except for Katy Perry, One Direction, etc. I go to small shows all the time. I saw Lily Allen in a dive bar that my brother has played in that has a max capacity of 200 people.

I understand what Yuna is saying about people being big in Japan giving them more backing in South Korea but surely this is not the case for Korean artists. Surely Korean artists are able to tour even if no one in Japan cares about them. We're talking about the UK and Mika is a UK artist who has sold millions of albums. It's not like no one has ever heard of him. If his management can get him on Radio 2 or perform on a TV show then surely they can set up a couple of dates in the UK, if they thought it was worthwhile. The question is whether it is worthwhile or not, not whether it is possible or not.

• Like 4

I don't really know how Mika's management work, but I don't know if he actually has much of a say in where he tours.  The record company probably just look at which countries he's doing best in and get him to do more shows there.  He'd probably love to do more shows in countries he doesn't go to very often, but I think it's a matter of time, venue availability and whether or not he is doing well there.  Plus, he can't tour all the time.  He's only human, he needs a rest every now and then.

But anyway, even gigs in small venues around the UK would be fantastic.  Some of the best shows and concerts I've attended have actually been in smaller venues, some with as little as 300 seats.  There's something quite atmospheric about an intimate atmosphere.

@mikainstagramWhat an amazing gig tonight in Valencia Estuvieron fuera de este mundo! Now to the airport for production meetings in London for the new tour! And Radio 2! XX! Happy!!

Hope he's going to announce something proper for the UK soon.  At least his appearance on Radio 2 is getting him noticed.

I'm sure that Mika would like to have tour in Germany so much. But he didn't get appropriate offer yet... maybe because Universal Music Germany is very busy taking care of other pop singers on chart tops.. :sad:

Universal Music Germany doesn't care about Mika, easy as that. If they can't even be bothered to send out his CD to the radio stations, why bother about a tour. :aah:

I don't know who he told this to and where they live but this is not how things work in North America. I worked for a booking agency and we had a roster of clients. It was our agents' job to go out there and book the artists. I think Mika's agency in London has a sister agency in Toronto and one of the agents I worked with now runs it so I am sure it operates similarly in the UK.

Mika did a 17 date tour in North America and he didn't have the same promoter at all shows. It is extremely unlikely that these different promoters simultaneously "invited" him in the way we think of an invite. As if it's a party or something. No artist would ever start their career if that is the case because no one is going to invite someone they've never heard of with no touring experience to their "party" if you know what I mean.

I would think it is more of a situation of putting it out there that he wants to tour and promoters come back with offers. If Mika can get a gig in Minneapolis or Portland he can get a gig in Manchester or Glasgow. It's the same process.

Same in the UK.

The artist gets the promoter to book venues for them.

Maybe we should start one :mf_rosetinted:

• Like 1

I don't really know how Mika's management work, but I don't know if he actually has much of a say in where he tours.  The record company probably just look at which countries he's doing best in and get him to do more shows there.  He'd probably love to do more shows in countries he doesn't go to very often, but I think it's a matter of time, venue availability and whether or not he is doing well there.  Plus, he can't tour all the time.  He's only human, he needs a rest every now and then.

But anyway, even gigs in small venues around the UK would be fantastic.  Some of the best shows and concerts I've attended have actually been in smaller venues, some with as little as 300 seats.  There's something quite atmospheric about an intimate atmosphere.

Hope he's going to announce something proper for the UK soon.  At least his appearance on Radio 2 is getting him noticed.

He wasn't on Radio 2 today, I suspect that he was at a production meeting for this radio show he mentioned doing, which looks like it will be on Radio 2 sometime in the future.

Regarding the UK. No he's not going to sell out huge places. He could sell out a smaller one I think.

But his best bet, for getting himself known again, could be the radio show he's planning, and if he could get his music onto adverts on TV.

Adverts would help a lot, and wouldn't take a lot of effort on Mika's part. He could be off doing other things, while his record gets played on TV in the UK.

One thing I have been pleased about recently is that he has quite a few pop videos from NPIH. The Staring At The Sun video is beautiful, I know that SATS is the new single, but there are also vids of, Good Guys, Last Party and Talk About You, all from this album, up and running on Vevo.

I think getting the songs on video is one way to get them out there and the SATS video proves you don't need a big budget to make something beautiful. Just the right song, the right setting and the right director (Hi there Andreas) So Mika could get more of his songs onto video, getting hits online.

These days, there are other ways to get a hit song, and get known, than the singles and the album charts.

Edited by Marilyn Mastin
  • Like 1