hey new fan here!!!

gracelise

Hello everyone! I'm Lise, I'm 18 and I'm from Belgium. I've always known Mika and who he was, but I only get interested in him 3 weeks ago. Let me tell you how hahahah.
Back then, I was in love with coldplay's song " the scientist" and i saw someone covered it on the voice last year. ( gabriella) and in the video, she chooses mika by playing " happy ending" on the violon. And i was like " OMG RIGHT ITS A SONG FROM HIM HOW COULD I FORGET" so I started listenning to his songs and i was feeling so nostalgic because when i was a kid, i was totally in love with his songs ( grace kelly, relax, big girls, blame it on the girls, happy ending, rain, we are golden, underwater etc...) but then i forogot a bit about him. +++ before that i never really watched the voice, but everytime i did, i always found mika so cute and nice and humble, but yeah, that was all. SOOO when i saw gabriella's blind auditons and heard mika's song, i was totally shook!! and i started to watch all of his interviews in french, english, italian... I'm still spending my days watching videos of him, listening to his songs, i already bought his 4 albums lmao and his dvd live at paris for no place in heaven tour! and i can't wait to read his book too!

The fact is, this man is fascinating me, I've never been THAT interested in a celebrity before him, he's so special, and nice, and genuine, down-to-earth, talented, human, generous...
I love that he doesn't care of what people think and he isn't scared to be himself, to be somehow '' different". I love his looks and everyhting about him. I swear, he truly did something to me. He's incredible. I really love him a lot lot lot lot lot lot. I really fell for his personnality, his art of making music but also his drawings, his clothes, his facial expressions, his mannerisms... Oh my god, i don't have the right words to describe what I feel for him but damn i can tell you it's big. really big. 

BUT I have some questions lmao, because I can read and see different informations everywhere. First : how many albums did he sell for life in cartoon motion ? sometimes i read its 9million, sometimes 20... lol it's quite a big difference hahaha
Second : When did he release it ?(on itunes i can see different datums... for the same album LICM i can see 01/01/2006 but also 01/01/2007 ????) and how did he become famous ? ( i read that he put the song relax on internet and that people started downloading it without knowing him and thats how he became famous and so he could release his album but i also read that he found a record compagny ( after so manyyyy didn't want him) and so thanks to that he was played on radio, and thats how he became famous so people started to download his songs on itunes etc.. so WHAT IS THE TRUTH ?) 

Edited by gracelise
  • Like 6

Hi Lise and welcome to the MFC :bye:

Mika is very addictive, isn't he?

You'll find the answers to lots of your Mika questions here: 

20 million copies of LICM is far too high, I think it was about 8 million.

He released Relax as a single in 2006, but it was the release of Grace Kelly which really got him noticed and got to No1 in the singles chart, followed by LICM in the album chart in 2007.

• Like 1

Hi, Lise! :bye: Welcome to MFC! :welcomeani:

I'm sure that many fans can relate to your story, I hope you'll find here new friends and have fun :thumb_yello:  

If you have more questions about Mika or MFC, you can ask here also : http://www.mikafanclub.com/topic/28644-the-looking-for-something-thread-part-ii/  

And while waiting for his book, I suggest you to buy the Symphonic concert DVD from Como as well :wink2:

Edited by krysady

Hello here Lise! As @krysady said, your story is very relatable, and it always great to see someone jump in with such a beautiful enthusiasm :wub2:

I'm sure you'll have a great time looking at every corner of the MFC , enjoy!  

Welcome to the MFC :welcomeani:

You should go to @kreacher 's Mika Encyclopedia

----LIFE IN CARTOON MOTION----

Mika's first full-length studio album. It was the ninth-best-selling album in the world during 2007.

THIS POST'S CONTENTS:

* Life In Cartoon Motion album info

* album tracklistings

* album charts

* Any Other World

* Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)

* Billy Brown

* Erase

* Grace Kelly

* Happy Ending

* Lollipop

* Love Today

* My Interpretation

* Over My Shoulder

* Relax (Take It Easy)

* Ring Ring

* Stuck In The Middle

* Your Sympathy

RELEASE DATE: February 5, 2007 in UK, Malaysia, and other places - February 27 in Canada - March 27 in USA - June 20 in Japan

DATES RECORDED: 2005-2006

RECORDED AT: Rocket Carousel Studio in Los Angeles, Capitol Studios in Los Angeles, Sunset Sound Studios in Los Angeles, AXIA, Sage & Sound in Hollywood, Miami Hitmakers, Red Door Studios in Miami, Hollywood Studio

TOTAL LENGTH: 46:16

LABEL: Island (United Kingdom), Casablanca (United States), FMR- Festival Records (later known as Festival Mushroom Records), Warner Bros. (Australasia)

PRODUCED BY: Greg Wells, Mika, Jodi Marr, and John Merchant. Associate Produced by Jodi Marr and John Merchant.

MIXED BY: Greg Wells

SINGLES: "Relax (Take It Easy)" - "Grace Kelly" - "Love Today" - "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)" - "Happy Ending" - "Relax (Take It Easy)"/"Lollipop"

BASIC TRACKLIST:

1. "Grace Kelly"

2. "Lollipop"

3. "My Interpretation"

4. "Love Today"

5. "Relax (Take It Easy)"

6. "Any Other World"

7. "Billy Brown"

8. "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)"

9. "Stuck In The Middle"

10. "Happy Ending"

11. "Over My Shoulder" (Hidden Track)

OTHER VERSIONS: See below for the tracklists of the European bonus edition, iTunes Store bonus editions (European and American), American edition, Best Buy edition, Japanese edition, and promo demo LICM label sampler version (issued to media journalists and critics).

CHART POSITIONS: see below for chart positions

ESTIMATED SALES: 7.8 million

AWARDS & NOMINATIONS: The album was nominated for a Brit Award for British Album, won an IFPI Hong Kong Top Sales Award for Top 10 Best Selling Foreign Album Award, was nominated for a Shockwaves NME Award for Worst Album, was nominated for an NRJ Music Award for International Album Of The Year, won the Disque d'Or on French TV station TF1, and won Album Of The Year from Heat magazine. See individual songs below for their awards and nominations.

LAUNCH/LISTENING PARTIES: T-Mobile Street Gig in Berkeley Square London in February 2007

TOURS: Dodgy Holiday 2007-2008, Mika's first official headlining tour

TITLE INFO: The album’s title is not taken from the title of any song. In the Extra Venue interview filmed in late 2006 or early 2007 he said, "I was kinda stuck for a title for the record but then when I looked through all these different songs on the album it just got me thinking, I was like 'wow, I've taken some pretty serious subjects that a lot of people have to deal with and I've reduced them to very prime colors and almost too cartoon-like, and that enables me to talk about very serious things in a pop song'. It's a little bit abstract, it doesn't really make sense. To me that's a good thing, because you never want to be too obvious but it just seemed to fit, and it sounds really funny. I don't think the record company was too happy when they heard my title, they wanted something simple like 'Love Today' or something. I was like 'nooo'."

QUOTES: ---In an October 2006 interview with www.digitalspy.com Mika said, "One thing that I'm really proud about with this album is that I haven't compromised on anything I want to sing about or the kind of pop songs I wanted to put on it. Secondly, it's got some of the world's best musicians playing on it, and I'm completely honored to have their names next to mine. I've got Matt Chamberlain on drums, Tim Pearce on guitars, who's the world-famous Quincy Jones guitarist who played on all the Michael Jackson stuff. We've got Paul Buckmaster orchestrating strings with the same string players who play on all the John Williams film soundtracks. We've got Jerry Hey on horns, who also played on all the Quincy Jones stuff. So it was really a blast - I recorded most of it in LA, even though I pretty much only demo'ed this country. It's kind of a record that hasn't been made in a while, and I'm really proud that it's mine!"

OTHER INFO: Prior to obtaining his record deal, Mika sent demos to many record companies in Britain, but was never signed. One record label in particular claimed that Mika had a good voice, but insisted he write more conventional songs like Craig David or Robbie Williams in order to become more commercial but Mika rejected this advice. The song "Grace Kelly" was inspired by these problems. In 2006 Mika signed with Island Records and began recording his debut album. Initial critical response to Life In Cartoon Motion was very mixed. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album has received an average score of 55, based on 23 reviews. In January 2007 it was considered the best new talent in the BBC's Sound of 2007 music poll. About 130 music critics and broadcasters from the U.K. agreed that Mika was the sound of 2007. The album has received highly polarized reviews, earning one star from The Guardian and four stars in the London Evening Standard. It received 1 out of 10 from the Drowned in Sound website, and prompted Brian May of Queen, a fan of Mika, to criticise the website for making unnecessary personal attacks at Mika. -- The Life In Cartoon Motion album cover has since been used in a commercial for the iPod Touch. -- The album was released on cassette in Indonesia. -- The Life In Cartoon Motion entry in Wikipedia lists an "Asian Tour Edition" which includes the eleven standard tracks from the British album, "Ring Ring", "Gave It All Away", "Erase", "Your Sympathy", and the B-side recordings "Satellite", "The One Lonely One" and "Instant Martyr". The album was also packed with a bonus disc, including six acoustic recordings, four live recordings, and the single mix of "Happy Ending". No one can find any other reference to this release so it might have been a promo-only, a planned release that never happened, or a mistake.

ARTWORK: Illustration, Design - Airside, DaWack, Mika

example of internal artwork 1 - example of internal artwork 2

COVER: album cover art - back cover

----OTHER TRACKLISTINGS----

First : how many albums did he sell for life in cartoon motion ? sometimes i read its 9million, sometimes 20... lol it's quite a big difference hahaha

according to MIKASOUNDS http://www.mikasounds.com/biography/

International musical sensation Mika opened his career in 2007 with defining single Grace Kelly, which sold over 3 million copies worldwide and was the second British single ever to top the chart on downloads alone.
The debut album, Life In Cartoon Motion, went straight to #1 in UK and 11 other countries, going on to sell over 7 million copies worldwide, plus over 6 million single sales.
Read more at

thank you everyone for the welcome and for the links/answers to my questions!! yes mika is very addictive indeed, i hope i'll be stuck with him for many years and that i won't lost my sudden passion for him hahahah

@krysady : yes i ordered the dvd already on amazon. I already have the songs from this symphonic concert on my phone and can't stop listenning to them! its pure art! 

Edited by gracelise
  • Like 1

On 18 aprile 2017 at 11:18 PM, gracelise said:

Hello everyone! I'm Lise, I'm 18 and I'm from Belgium. I've always known Mika and who he was, but I only get interested in him 3 weeks ago. Let me tell you how hahahah.
Back then, I was in love with coldplay's song " the scientist" and i saw someone covered it on the voice last year. ( gabriella) and in the video, she chooses mika by playing " happy ending" on the violon. And i was like " OMG RIGHT ITS A SONG FROM HIM HOW COULD I FORGET" so I started listenning to his songs and i was feeling so nostalgic because when i was a kid, i was totally in love with his songs ( grace kelly, relax, big girls, blame it on the girls, happy ending, rain, we are golden, underwater etc...) but then i forogot a bit about him. +++ before that i never really watched the voice, but everytime i did, i always found mika so cute and nice and humble, but yeah, that was all. SOOO when i saw gabriella's blind auditons and heard mika's song, i was totally shook!! and i started to watch all of his interviews in french, english, italian... I'm still spending my days watching videos of him, listening to his songs, i already bought his 4 albums lmao and his dvd live at paris for no place in heaven tour! and i can't wait to read his book too!

The fact is, this man is fascinating me, I've never been THAT interested in a celebrity before him, he's so special, and nice, and genuine, down-to-earth, talented, human, generous...
I love that he doesn't care of what people think and he isn't scared to be himself, to be somehow '' different". I love his looks and everyhting about him. I swear, he truly did something to me. He's incredible. I really love him a lot lot lot lot lot lot. I really fell for his personnality, his art of making music but also his drawings, his clothes, his facial expressions, his mannerisms... Oh my god, i don't have the right words to describe what I feel for him but damn i can tell you it's big. really big. 

BUT I have some questions lmao, because I can read and see different informations everywhere. First : how many albums did he sell for life in cartoon motion ? sometimes i read its 9million, sometimes 20... lol it's quite a big difference hahaha
Second : When did he release it ?(on itunes i can see different datums... for the same album LICM i can see 01/01/2006 but also 01/01/2007 ????) and how did he become famous ? ( i read that he put the song relax on internet and that people started downloading it without knowing him and thats how he became famous and so he could release his album but i also read that he found a record compagny ( after so manyyyy didn't want him) and so thanks to that he was played on radio, and thats how he became famous so people started to download his songs on itunes etc.. so WHAT IS THE TRUTH ?) 

Hi Lise, nice to meet you and welcome to the MFC :D 

Thanks for sharing your story! You wrote so many beautiful and relatable things :blush-anim-cl:

Enjoy it here, the Forums are full of info that will help you getting to know better Mika and his work, so I really hope you're gonna have fun checking them out, and for any question feel free to ask us!! See you around :bye: