Fan reviews of The Origin of Love

suzie

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For the whole album I may give easily a 9/10. The bonus one... 5/10. But I will listen to it for Tah Dah and Karen. :naughty: It's my birthday today and this album is the best gift I never had. :huglove: Thanks Mika !!!

First of all :happybday:

And secondly, I really enjoy reading all the different opinions on the album.

Make me laugh to see how we all agree and disagree! :naughty:

I'm listening to it on constant repeat!

And that's just it, isn't it? You CAN listen to this on constant repeat, and not

get tired of it. Well, at least not for a while -- maybe after 8934204893439842 listens I'll be tired of it, but not yet. :wink2:

O@J#OJ@JOIWEOIJOR#@O@#I

THE ORIGIN IS YOUUUU

This album is magical and just what I needed. CAN WE JUST talk about THIS ALBUM Auhghghghgaoasojojfisd BeCausE it's amazingggg

That is my review :mf_rosetinted:

PERFECTION! :fangurl:

My review of The Origin Of Love

The whole album makes me go outside and hug everyone I meet on the streets or at work :hug:

I absolutely love Overrated even though it's not the type of music I usually listen to , Love you when I'm drunk I've put it as my ringtone, Tah-Dah should have been on the first CD. Heroes is my favorite ballad on the record. I really like the instrumental of Kids.

I can't believe I need to wait till October to receive my copy.

Okay, I can only start by saying this album turned out to be so much better than I thought initially. With the leak of MYH and those live versions of underwater & TOOL I was disappointed to say the least. So I was very happy to hear a coherent and innovative sound when listening to the entire album the first time. :thumb_yello: I find myself listening to the album on repeat, just like with LICM, and only sporadically skipping a song. Not because it's "UGH", but because I want to skip to the amazing songs!

-----------------------------------------

ORIGIN OF LOVE: 8/10

This song has grown on me. I didn't know what to think of it when first hearing those live versions but I have to say the end result is very good. I could live without the Latin bit but overall I really like the feeling of this song. I can really feel the love in this song, if that makes sense? It makes me feel all pink and fluffy. :teehee:

LOLA: 7.5/10

I immediately loved this song and I like to sing along to it. It's the type of song I could have in my head for days. I have to say though, I think I will get bored of it sooner rather than later.

STARDUST: 9.8/10

Now this! This song is amazing! It caught my attention immediately. I remember when we first heard a snippet of it, I had that one line stuck in my head the entire week! I could listen to this again and again and again... In fact I am :naughty: I really don't understand why they didn't release this as a single. This song is such a happiness/energy booster. The title alone, stardust, fantastic. I can imagine myself blasting this in the car with my windows rolled down, screaming along :naughty:

MAKE YOU HAPPY: 6.5/10

I really disliked this song when it leaked. It was SO different from what I expected. The "all I wanna do is make you happy" drove me nuts. I have to say I like this (my itunes says French) version a lot more. Of course there is still the repetitive bit that I dislike, but I really enjoy the mix of the classical instruments, strings with the electronic bits! Much better imo. I always liked the ending though, the big buildup, and I still think it's the best part of the song.

UNDERWATER: 8/10

This took me by surprise. After hearing a live version of it a long long time ago I was a bit undecided about it. It was okay, nothing more. I always prefer the more upbeat songs in any case. The album version is very beautiful though. It has this great peaceful vibe to it. I get so relaxed when listening to this song and I absolutely love the music.

OVERRATED: 10/10

I don't know what else to say about it... 10/10! I was VERY surprised when I heard this. It's nothing like the demo at all. And I'm glad it isn't. I loved the demo but this is just wow. I adore this song and it just gets better and better the more I hear it. I never imagined Mika doing this type of real electro song. Who would have thought he'd be so good at it? His voice lends itself perfectly to this type of music imo. I also can't say I ever heard something like this before, so that made me decide to rate it a 10 :naughty:

KIDS: 5.5/10

It's okay. It isn't that original though. And like I said before, I prefer upbeat songs. The type of song I'd skip to hear stardust again!

LYWID: 9.5/10

Fantastic!! This is exactly the kind of music I expect from Mika and it doesn't disappoint. I can totally see him performing this already, sitting behind the piano, bopping along. Adorable and very catchy song.

STEP WITH ME: 2/10

Ai... My least favorite song for sure. It starts with the beginning. What are those bells? I think I'm going to hear a Christmas song. Not the case I soon discovered. This is the type of song he could have written for any boyband out there. I really wish he had written it for Westlife instead of putting it on this album.

POPULAR: 5/10

I kinda like it. I'm not really a fan of Priscilla's voice though. I don't really have an opinion on this song yet. I like it more and more but it won't ever be a favorite.

EMILY: no rating

No rating because I find it totally unnecessary to change EMD to an English version. :dunno:

ELLE ME DIT: 8/10

Love it :wink2:

HEROES: 6.5/10

It's a beautiful, emotional ballad.

CELEBRATE: 7/0

At first I loved this song, but comparing it to what else is on the album I can't give it more than a 7 out of 10 :wink2:

TAH DAH: 10/10

Talking about surprises! How amazing is this song? Why is it not on the album??? :shocked: So Emily makes it, this doesn't... What's up with that? Who knew a song with such a title could be such a great song?! It reminds me so much of a song from the 80's or 70's but I can't quite place it. I absolutely adore it though and I really hope he'll play it live!

Edited by Droopsy
Spelling

I find myself listening to the album on repeat, just like with LICM, and only sporadically skipping a song. Not because it's "UGH", but because I want to skip to the amazing songs!

This is what is happening to me. I don't want to write off Heroes and Kids just yet but I am too busy listening to my favourites at the moment and it's going to be awhile before I focus on any other songs.

Okay, I can only start by saying this album turned out to be so much better than I thought initially. With the leak of MYH and those live versions of underwater & TOOL I was disappointed to say the least. So I was very happy to hear a coherent and innovative sound when listening to the entire album the first time. :thumb_yello: I find myself listening to the album on repeat, just like with LICM, and only sporadically skipping a song. Not because it's "UGH", but because I want to skip to the amazing songs!

-----------------------------------------

ORIGIN OF LOVE: 8/10

This song has grown on me. I didn't know what to think of it when first hearing those live versions but I have to say the end result is very good. I could live without the Latin bit but overall I really like the feeling of this song. I can really feel the love in this song, if that makes sense? It makes me feel all pink and fluffy. :teehee:

LOLA: 7.5/10

I immediately loved this song and I like to sing along to it. It's the type of song I could have in my head for days. I have to say though, I think I will get bored of it sooner rather than later.

STARDUST: 9.8/10

Now this! This song is amazing! It caught my attention immediately. I remember when we first heard a snipped of it, I had that one line stuck in my head the entire week! I could listen to this again and again and again... In fact I am :naughty: I really don't understand why they didn't release this as a single. This song is such a happiness/energy booster. The title alone, stardust, fantastic. I can imagine myself blasting this in the car with my windows rolled down, screaming along :naughty:

MAKE YOU HAPPY: 6.5/10

I really disliked this song when it leaked. It was SO different from what I expected. The "all I wanna do is make you happy" drove me nuts. I have to say I like this (my itunes says French) version a lot more. Of course there is still the repetitive bit that I dislike, but I really enjoy the mix of the classical instruments, strings with the electronic bits! Much better imo. I always liked the ending though, the big buildup, and I still think it's the best part of the song.

UNDERWATER: 8/10

This took me by surprise. After hearing a live version of it a long long time ago I was a bit undecided about it. It was okay, nothing more. I always prefer the more upbeat songs in any case. The album version is very beautiful though. It has this great peaceful vibe to it. I get so relaxed when listening to this song and I absolutely love the music.

OVERRATED: 10/10

I don't know what else to say about it... 10/10! I was VERY surprised when I heard this. It's nothing like the demo at all. And I'm glad it isn't. I loved the demo but this is just wow. I adore this song and it just gets better and better the more I hear it. I never imagined Mika doing this type of real electro song. Who would have thought he'd be so good at it? His voice lends itself perfectly to this type of music imo. I also can't say I ever heard something like this before, so that made me decide to rate it a 10 :naughty:

KIDS: 5.5/10

It's okay. It isn't that original though. And like I said before, I prefer upbeat songs. The type of song I'd skip to hear stardust again!

LYWID: 9.5/10

Fantastic!! This is exactly the kind of music I expect from Mika and it doesn't disappoint. I can totally see him performing this already, sitting behind the piano, bopping along. Adorable and very catchy song.

STEP WITH ME: 2/10

Ai... My least favorite song for sure. It starts with the beginning. What are those bells? I think I'm going to hear a Christmas song. Not the case I soon discovered. This is the type of song he could have written for any boyband out there. I really wish he had written it for Westlife instead of putting it on this album.

POPULAR: 5/10

I kinda like it. I'm not really a fan of Priscilla's voice though. I don't really have an opinion on this song yet. I like it more and more but it won't ever be a favorite.

EMILY: no rating

No rating because I find it totally unnecessary to change EMD to an English version. :dunno:

ELLE ME DIT: 8/10

Love it :wink2:

HEROES: 6.5/10

It's a beautiful, emotional ballad.

CELEBRATE: 7/0

At first I loved this song, but comparing it to what else is on the album I can't give it more than a 7 out of 10 :wink2:

TAH DAH: 10/10

Talking about surprises! How amazing is this song? Why is it not on the album??? :shocked: So Emily makes it, this doesn't... What's up with that? Who knew a song with such a title could be such a great song?! It reminds me so much of a song from the 80's or 70's but I can't quite place it. I absolutely adore it though and I really hope he'll play it live!

Could you film yourself and send us the video, please :pray::roftl: Thanks for this honest and passionate review :huglove:

Well, this album. It's been a funny little thing. After hearing Make You Happy I was like OH CRAP. MIKA PLEASE? ARE YOU THERE? IS THAT YOU? But it's all good now. This album DOES NOT disappoint me! Yep, it's different, and it's alot different to how I imagined it, but it's fresh!

Origin Of Love - 7/10

I think some of the lyrics are really cool, and it's pretty BADOOSH IN YOUR FACE, but it just lacks melody. It's good for walking along to down the street, and the choirs could be louder during the chorus :naughty: BUT YAR YAR IT'S VAR FUNKY.

Lola - 9/10

As soon as that piano and clapping starts at the beginning, I can't help but smile. :wub2: It's just perfectly cheesy and funky. Looooooola, it roles of the tongue in a weird way that I just loooove!

Stardust - 7/10

The melody is much better than some of the others but the verse's lyrics are a little plain. His voice sounds very strong on this song though, and the chorus does make you want to smile. :naughty: Not much to say about this one, I need to listen to it more.

Make You Happy - 7/10

The verses have a really good kinda AAAAH WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME AND LET ME LOVE YOU BACK feel... :naughty: But then you build up to the chorus and you feel like screaming, and it kinda just goes a bit normal. The vocoder stuff sounds pretty funky though.

Underwater - 8/10

Golly gosh this one is yummmmmy. His voice is perfect, and it just really does fit the piano well even though they bounce off each other (does that makes sense?) I do get little goosebumps when the chorus hits, and it makes you feel like sinking into water in a good way :naughty: FUNKY FUNKY FUNKY.

Overrated - 9/10

When I heard the snippet, I was a bit worried because it sounded sooo different :shocked: But I have to say, this is probably one of the songs I've listened to the most. It's reallly... I can't find the words... nice. :lmfao: It's POWERFUL, THAT'S THE WORD. Powerful, and the melodies fit well together.

Kids - 6/10

I'm not sure about this one yet. There's nothing that special about it, it's just a pleasant song. Probably the weakest song of the album. But the backing is quite nice.

Love You When I'm Drunk - 10/10 :mf_rosetinted:

I FOOKING LOVE THIS SONG. IT'S JUST JASPOEIJFOE. IT SOUNDS LIKE GLEE/MARIOLAND/HYPERDRUGGEDUPSONG. I've been singing it all week, and I'm addicted! I love the way he screams, 'I ONLY LOVE YOU'. Plus, it's something you don't have to take seriously. It's pretty funny.

Step With Me - 9/10

This is another one I'm addicted to! Hilary's voice just fits Mika's voice really nicely on the line, 'This love's delicious like home cooked dishes'. I've been singing it everywhere! It's just such a chilled out song that makes you feel crazily passionate at the same time. I LOVE THE BIG BASS/SYTH AT THE CHORUS. And as for the little celesta at the beginning, I adore it. I am addicted to twinkly sounds, so this is lovely. :wub2:

Popular Song - 8/10

Mika rapping = suprisingly good. I love how cheesy and upbeat it is, that you can't help but dance along with some swag.

Emily - 7/10

My best friend is called Emily, so this is just rather humorous for me.... :lmfao:

Heroes - 8/10

This song is another one I'm not entirely sure of, because the verses and lyrics don't really do much for me, but the chorus is quite amazing. It really reminds me of an Imogen Heap song, but I can't think of which one... Help?

Tah Dah - 8/10

THE CHORUS IS AWESOME AND CHEESY, but the choruses are just ... :doh:

VOILA! Gosh, I hope you enjoy reading that. I'm quite vague on some and a bit over the top on others. :naughty:

MY TURN!!!

1-Origin of love:

Amazing rythm, the music is absolutely genius! The voice distorsion is disturbing though, otherwise everything's perfect with that song. 8/10

2- Lola:

The "Billie Jean"esque beat makes this song magic, I like it lyrically too, it's a great song. Nothing more. 8/10

3- Stardust:

This one is the highlight of the album. The fact that he collides real instruments and electronics to make an amazing song makes this track unique and interesting. The lyrics are absolutely stunning. Plus, on that track, he sings very deeply and very high so that track shows his actual talent. It's even very radio friendly, so I would be the happiest girl in the world if it turns out to be a single. 10/10

4-Make You Happy:

The french version is really good, there are way more instruments in that version and Mika's voice is more apparent. The lyrics are stunning both french version and L.A. version. Out of all the songs, the lyrics of this track are my favorite. Wasn't in love with the L.A. version at first, but it grew on me. Still too electronic for me. I like the french one better. 7/10

5-Underwater:

My favorite ballad ever. It used to be Any Other World, but this one gives me shivers every time, it's crazy. The choir in the back is perfect, his voice, the piano, everything just collides. When I heard it live, I was just so stunned and amazed by the performance and the song, I can't get over this one. 10/10

6-Overrated:

Unlike everyone who were very sad about that track because it turned out to be a dance track, well I was very impressed by it! I hated the demo version from the beginning, but this version is way better. Still a little too electro for me personally, but the lyrics are great and the beat is good for clubs and dancing. I can see myself dancing wildly in my room on this song! 8/10

7-Kids:

I love the lyrics and Mika's deep voice makes this song sound good! But I was mostly in love with the lyrics. The melody is great too, but when I heard it on Youtube at the showcase, I felt more emotion and I thought that it sounded better live. 6/10

8-Love You When I'm Drunk:

WOW! I love this song, the music is genius, filled with so much instruments! The lyrics are funny and his singing is GREAT! I just can't take him seriously with that song, he sounds FUNNY! 9/10

9- Step With Me:

This song makes me melt. If my lover sang me this, I'd fall in love, directly. As cheesy as this song sounds, with the little tempo and the cute lyrics, I absolutely adore it. The little guitar is so romantic with the little sounds of the chords twitching... ooouuff :wub2: 9/10

10-Popular Song:

I really like it! Priscilla Renea sounds great on it and Mika rapping is just... awkward! ... Without trying to be mean, he sounds as if he was bitching on someone at school like a little 16 year old :aah: Haha, but I really enjoy this song lyrically and musically. I just had to tease Mika's rap :blush-anim-cl: ! Okay... he's not that bad :teehee: 9/10

11-Emily:

Well it's Elle Me Dit... I like Elle Me Dit ALOT! Emily's lyrics though are a little more interesting but... honestly, Elle Me Dit's better, muahaha! But it's a good track in perspective. I would have wanted another song instead of the same one 2 times on the record. 8/10

12- Heroes:

It's a nice ballad, the guitar is good but the melody does not have enough oomph for me. There's something missing. His vocals are like Stardust's, he sings deeply and very high. The song is good, but I would have expected more. The lyrics are absolutely moving though and it's growing on me. I'm liking it more and more every time and I always find something new and good to comment about this song every time I listen to it. 8/10

13-Celebrate:

I love this one, so dancy and old-ish beat that I completely fell in love with the first time. Perfect single and THANK GOD, there ain't no rap in that song. Pharrell in that song was kinda unnecessary 8/10

1-Karen:

Karen sounds better on record than live. I'm totally addicted to this song right now, and never was when he first sang it live, even when I heard him live myself. The lyrics are clearer and the piano in that song wasn't fitting the whole thing. It's sounds way better now with the violin and the other cool instrument. One of my favorites off this record too. 10/10

2-L'Amour Dans Le Mauvais Temps:

I liked the song in english first, but in french it's WAY BETTER too! The lyrics are well thought and it's very romantic. 8/10

3- Un Soleil Mal Luné

Uhmm... The piano is cute. Mika's deep voice makes it look innocent. The lyrics are... not my favorite. As a french track, it's good. Enough said. 6/10

8- Tah Dah:

WOOW! That song too deserves a big WOW! It has such an old disco beat that is just STUNNING! Another favorite! 10/10

In general this album is a great pop album. I thought that it was going to be weird to listen to a "new Mika" but really, that rocks. A year and a half of great work :thumb_yello: !

Edited by RayaBadran
Wrote the review too quickly, needed to update my feelings about this album.

OK So it's been 2 days since I bought the record , It wasn't even on HMV-canada's shelf when I went there to buy the copy I ordered. I've been listening to it - or should I say musically brainwashing myself :naughty:

1) TOOL 9.5/10

Truly a love song , I love how Mika's feelings are so honest in it. Love the chord progression. It's the kind of song I find pleasure listening to when I'm alone in my room.

2) LOLA 8/10

A nice ballad , I like the story behind it , I like the light feeling I have when listening to it.

3) STARDUST 9/10

Perfect for a single , it has everything , musically. I love it.

4) MYH 4/10

I even prefer the LA edit to this classical version. I find Mika's classical voice is killed by all the electronic fake sounds. It's now a song I skip in the CD.

5) UNDERWATER 9.5/10

I loved that song since the beginning , since he sang it in South Korea. But I find somehow that I even prefer the Live version better.

6) OVERRATED 9/10

I was delighted by it. Love how he transformed it into a club song. I loved the beginning.

7) KIDS 5/10

It reminds me of a country song , can't remember which one (?)

8) LYWID 10/10

The perfect , funniest , catchiest song ever. I love how Mika's voice is all crazy in it.

9) SWM 9/10

I love this step 1,2,3...game. It reminds me of sexual preliminaries somehow :mf_rosetinted: Love it.

10) POPULAR SONG 8/10

A nice ballad. I like it. It's very Mika-esque. No surprise though.

11) EMILY 7/10

I like it , but will never be addicted to it.

12) HEROES 5/10

One of my least favourite.

13) CELEBRATE 7/10

So all in all it makes 7.7 /10

Tah-dah 10/10

Too bad he didn't put it in his first CD.

The french songs = I like them all , I can see Barbara's influence in Un soleil mal luné.

I really don't know what I think and feel about the new album. The first time I listened to it, it flopped big for me. And it wasn't because I didn't like the songs. It was more that I had problems to rearrange myself with this new site of Mika. OOL is for sure not LICM or TBWKTM part 2. It's a thousand time more like the second album of Samuel, if I'm looking for something for comparison. And I like him, so what's the problem?

The thing is, that there are a lot of elements in Mikas older songs that I LOVE - that made the difference between liking other artists and being Mika-fan. And parts of them aren't on the new album.

It has something to do with the building up and the feeling of the songs - somehow you can hear that they are written with/for the piano, even if there are a lot of layers and no piano in the finished product. Acoustic songs produced in a poppy way. Even in dancy songs like "Relax". I don't have this feeling with the new album.

I had/have this big emotional reactions to them - the urge to dance like a maniac, throwing up my arms, feeling from head to toe, like a musical shower. With the new album it's more singing and head-wipping.

This pure happiness (but at the same time the intelligent, twisted and dark lyrics). Even if Mika has described OOL as joyful and happy it's not the main emotion of the album for me. More - positive desire (?)

The creative layers - you could pick up every instrument-line and it would have been interesting for itself. In the new album you need them alltogether.

Actually the covers are fitting perfectly to the music in a visual way - the older songs are this whole bunch of mixed primary colours, the new songs are a lot of shades of one colour.

Yes, and I like the character-, "hidden" story-telling songs (but that I won't get that I knew beforehand).

Gosh, I want to add "if that does make sense" after nearly every sentence in this paragraph. Hard to describe feelings in words, especially if I can't even put my finger on what it is exactly.

BUT: That doesn't make the new songs bad ones and that doesn't mean that I can't love them in other ways. And they have elements that the old ones are missing in comparison, too. But I had this loss-feeling in the beginning. If even Mika don't write new (old-)Mika-songs, nobody will do it, because they are totally unique. And I can't have enough of them ;)

So, on the first day I thought the whole time: I like it as an album. But do I like it as a Mika-album?

But of course I realized that the songs where good and that I like them and after some listenings my feelings figured out that I have to take what I have and not what I don't have and that what I have can be great, too. In one interview Mika said, that he wanted to approach OOL as if it was his first album. And exactly that I had to do myself.

And looking at OOL as Mikas "first" album I can say that it is a very good "first" album for sure :wink2:

Some thoughts about the songs after a couple of listenings to the album (and without reading the lyrics so far - fully understanding them may change my opinion later).

Origin of Love

After a couple of listening to the album this was even the/one of the songs that I liked at least. Somehow it was boring and the "expression" was missing for me. But then I listened to the version of the short film (I didn't do it before). And at that moment I had the feeling I'm listening to a big song. The difference between the two versions isn't even that big - but somehow it makes a huge difference for me. I think it's because his singing voice is clearer "in front of" the choir and the beat in the short-film-version - and Mika is transferring a lot of emotion through his voice (or I "receive" a lot of emotion through his voice). Furthermore the choir is more prominent, which is giving the song more "oomph". In the album version singing voice, choir, instruments and distractions are more mashed up and the instruments are overlapping at lot. He really shouldn't have changed it in my humble opinion.

But even if the shortfilm-version is much better, I think that OOL should have been produced in another way - maybe more "human" and more "hymnic". Than it could have been a BIG song.

Lola

I like the rhythm of the bass. I like the rhythm of the piano. I like the melody of the verses. I like the "Lola, I've made up my mind…". I like the polyphony throughout the song and especially at the end. And the feeling of the track reminds me a little bit of "One foot boy", which I love. Regarding all that I'm supposed to fall head over heels for the song - but I don't do it or a least not as much as I would expect. Maybe I listened too much to the live version and I've therefore transcended the crush-phase already?

Stardust

I'm not sure. I like the spacy feeling at the beginning and how it builds up. And after the first time of listening to the album I had "put a little stardust" in my head - it has a catchiness in it for sure. But something is missing that pushes my over the edge and makes me love this song. Maybe it doesn't hold up the tension through the whole song? But it could be that only a couple of more listenings is the "something" that is needed ;)

Make You Happy

I like this version MUCH MORE than the L.A. Edit. For sure because it's much less electronic and you can hear his voice clearly and pure in most parts. It's nearly an acoustic version with strings - aside from the "all I wanna do is make you happy". But even that isn't only a computervoice anymore. I really like how Mika sings / shouts together with the computervoice at the end of the song. In the contrast it's so full of emotions and so human. But the computervoice itself I will never like, I think. About the song, though, I can't say that anymore. Could even be that it will end up as one of the songs that will really lie at my heart.

And as much problems I had at the beginning with this song, it's clearly one of the most interesting Mika-Songs lyrically. I'm eager to look deeper into the lyrics of the album-version and the development between the album-edit and L.A.-edit (and hence the two different moments in the relationship that the two versions are describing).

Underwater

I'm one of the few people that wasn't fangirling for the liveversion ;) I really did love the "cause all I need…" from Seoul, but the rest was just okay for. And I had some problems with the "Underwaterrrrrrrrrr", to long with nothing else. The live version of the festivals this summer I did like much more, because of the drumstick-noise and the "bolero"-rhythm that made the "Underwaterrrrrrr" interesting and gave the song indeed a watery feeling. And I liked the new, melodic end. And now with the studio-version it was "wow" for me - the song gets / feels so big when the "Underwaterrrrrr" starts.

Overrated

The strange thing is, that Mika told the truth with his two answers in Spain, even if the seemed contradicting then :biggrin2: It's an total different song from the demo version, so no danger of destroying the demo. And I will love this one forever. But I'm loving the new Overrated, too. Well, not too, even much more. It's GREAT. It's so intense und full of emotion, dark and destroying and raw feelings, and has this self-destructioness. The "breath out, breath in" at the beginning feels like a cut with a knife. Furthermore, the "Overrated… overrated" won't go out of my head - and I don't want it to go out of my head.

Kids

Never heart something in this combination. It's really tenuous - and has at the same time that pushing beat. But it works. And I like it - very much. It has something volatile in the chorus and I feel like I'm levitating while listening.

Love You When I'm Drunk

When I first heart it I had a big grin on my face after the first seconds. One of my favourites. The mad drunken Christmas song :bleh: It's crazy in the most positive way. I love the lyrics. I love his voice in the verses. I love how his voice is overturning in the chorus. I love how it makes me wanting to do a silly jump-dance.

Step with me

I don't like songs with this braked-midtempo, forced-relaxed beat. Makes me crazy, I have the urge to speed it up all the time. So there was a little aversion while I first listened to the song. But I was sure that I would get customized to it after some listenings and that I would like it in the end. And that happened - I even like the relaxed feeling now.

But then the chorus started - and I loved it from the first second. The melody is great. I want to listen to it again and again and again… And I start to sing and move every time I hear it - an effect, that a lot of the older Mika-songs had on me, but not much of the newer ones. But the chorus of Step with me has it.

And I really like his deep voice in this song.

Popular

Well, it's not really rap - more melody-rap or whatever :naughty: I like it very much. Especially the rhythm of the song. The "popular" that switches in falsetto (I didn't know Wicked, so it was new for me) and the "ohohohoho", too. As well as the portion of craziness. And their voices are fitting really well. Priscilla has a great sassyness here, too.

Emily

Even if it's the same melody and arrangement (aside from the additions) as EMD and parts of the lyrics are the same translated, I experience it as a different song. It has the total opposite perspective of speaker and has a different feeling (speaking in colours, EMD is orange for me, Emily is blue, if that does make any sense at all). I like the "Emilyyyyyy". My favourite line is "are you stuck up, are you gay, if you are, well that's okay, cause it doesn't even matter" :biggrin2: But the "dance dance dance" with the different A-loud sounds silly in my ears - whereas the "danse danse danse" sounds great.

Heroes

Musically it's a quiet song. It has something very fragile. And something "light-hymnic". But emotional it feels really big. It has already a place in my heart. One of these songs I really feel. It kind of has similar effects to me as "Any other world".

Celebrate

Yes, I love it, did it from the start. It's like a firework of positive emotions. But somehow I like it more as a single song, it's more "sparkling" in this way, than in the context of the album, where it's "only" part of the album. But as much as I like it, I have one point of criticism: the parts that are missing in the track - the China-Boy-verses and the "I wanna come home" (which is not really missing, but which is drowned by other lines and instruments). I LOVE these parts and with them Celebrate could have been much much better.

Tah Dah

I LOVE IT. I expected something totally different from the title - some silly, happy song. But it's nothing like that at all. I love his voice in this song. And the bridge ("when I stumble and fall…") is (one of) my most favourite moments on the CD atm: his voice there, and how it feels like a bubble that gets big (sorry, I can't describe it better :aah:). Another great moment is the "I've got the freedom"-part because it's thematically and how he sings it so "Mika". I like the lyrics, too. Only the chorus is a little bit weaker than the rest.

Elle me dit

I liked it back in 2011 and I still like it. It makes me dance. And it has this warmness in it. Another reason why I like it, is, that it's more a sung story and has lyrics from the beginning to the end. That's totally different to most of the songs out there. And the "elle me dit danse, elle me dit danse, danse danse" at the end is one of my favourite Mika-song-parts ever.

Karen

I don't feel that he did something wrong with this song. Even if I may would have preferred a piano version. Partly I can feel this "freeness", which I like so much about the song, on the studio-version, too. But live (and especially in Compiegne) it had something magical. I don't know, on CD it feels "only" like a French pop song - live it was a chanson with so much emotion that did go straight into my heart. While hearing and seeing him live I understand this song even if I don't understand the actual French words.

L'Amour Dans Le Mauvais Temps

I must admit that I like it in this version. The song will never loose a portion of cheesiness (even if I don't understand the French lyrics they sound cheesy :naughty:) But here it's in an amount that it's more than bearable. Leaving out Ida, the acoustic arrangement and the non understandable lyrics (for me as a non-French-speaker ;) ) benefitted the song very much. But I don't like the "echoed" voice in the background, I think I would have preferred only the "main voice".

Un Soleil Mal Luné

Mikas pure voice + piano = love. I couldn't reproduce the melody if somebody would ask me to do it. But every time I hear it, I think/feel that it is so beautiful.

My favourites from the beginning und still at the moment are Tah Day, Overrated and Love you when I'm drunk. But while writing the review and listening to OOL it has started to change already. And I have the feeling that it will change A LOT over the next weeks. Therefore it's impossible for me to add an "scale" how much I like a song atm.

Saying that, the songs are very near for me - there is not one that I love much much more than the others, but also not one that I don't like at all or much less than the others.

And the strange is, that my feeling about nearly every song is "I like it very, very much". But I don't know if I can say that I love them and that I have a "emotional connection" to the songs (already). Which I have with nearly every older Mika-song and what really makes the difference between Mika and other artists for me. But maybe they only need a little bit of time to take the step from "like very much" to "love by heart". After all my thoughts about "Relax", the song that made me discover Mika, over the first weeks where "it's a good catchy song" before it grew to be one of the most important songs ever for me :wink2:

Edited by DerMoment1608

An uplifting, classy, yet contemporary pop album and a big step for Mika to find his way to longevity in the history of pop music – that’s what I consider this record to be.

A was a huge fan of Life In Cartoon Motion but I always thought that it merely showed what Mika could potentially achieve in the future. Following the slightly directionless second album he finally found himself and / or people who can get the best out of him. Despite the many names who worked with him though, the record still sounds coherent and Mikaesque, proving collaborations were genuine. Another important achievement is that whilst there is still a strong 70s and 80s influence on most songs, the record still sounds very much current, and with the right mix of the latest electronic and fine acoustic sound. Most importantly, however, it is his VOICE that he finally seems to have found. There have been many comments of him being a ’marmite’ artist, and in my opinion, it may have had to do with his falsetto sounding a bit ’raw’ and not always blending into the song. On this record, however, there is a really healthy use of his range and his falsetto simply shines over the dance tracks, whilst his baritone sounds as full as it can be, implying how confident he is with these songs, his art and most probably his life as well.

My Track by Track:

The Origin of Love – When I first heard the live version I knew exactly what potential that song had and I could only hope the recorded version would manage to give back the defiant feel of the live performance that is about love’s triumph over the power and control the church / God is exerting on his disciples to restrain one’s natural desires and condemning them as sinful. The Italian - Latin - Spanish chant in the middle is absolutely awesome: in a few words it captures the controversy surrounding the paternalistic views the Catholic Church, despite God being referred to as also having maternal features in the Bible. The recorded version has a slightly different feel to me as the voice distortion strengthens more the ’love as an addiction’ message of the song but it does celebrate love, too and love it: it is one of the few pop songs that use voice distortion to support the message and not merely to surrender to trends. It would sound great on the radio and so different from the rest of what is out there, too.

Lola - A lovely, teasing song about a hooker with a strong 70s Bee Gees feel to it. It is simple, sweet and stylish and does not pretend to be more than it is.

Stardust – What a perfect place has been found for Mika’s falsetto. Modern electro-dance song with a difference: there is depth to the sound and the singer can actually sing.

Make You Happy – one of my favourites, can’t get enough of it. There is unrest and some kind of serene (or probably drugged) calmness present at the same time: all because of the different layers (vocals and drum base) being in different time signatures so the stressed beat always ends up in different part of the bar in the seemingly monotonous chorus. What a great idea. Besides, the song is a mix of styles, sounds, beats that still form a coherent piece that I could listen to days on end. I guess it is partly because of the brilliant mix of the vocoded singing with one of his best vocals ever on a record and partly because of the honest lyrics. I am most pleased about this song having made it to the album as it is non-single material and neither it is for live performance. It is mainly for the mind and ears to enjoy and mine do.

Underwater – after the unsettled times we arrive on calm waters with our ship sailing smoothly on the waves when we suddenly stop and jump into the water to discover something unknown, unexplored and a place where we can’t be reached. I don’t know who came up with the piano part but they have a natural talent in transcribing pictures and feels into sound. I can even hear the birds above after the second chorus as they fly over the water. The 70s rock choir sound in the chorus also gives the whole song an incredible serenity.

Overrated – A fine example of avant-garde electro-dance music: imaginative, modern yet all human. It is a wonderful surprise on the album.

Kids – playful and calm pop song with a catchy chorus kept simple but beautiful. Great tune for a pop prince.

Love You When I’m Drunk – I absolutely love it: music, lyrics and Mika’s vocals. You get this dizzy feeling from the funny sounds and bells since the beginning and in the middle you feel like he is staggering. It reminds me of early 80s Human League songs.

Step with Me – One is no longer drunk but perhaps slightly tipsy or at least losing senses because they are in love. I adore the beginning and am a total fangirl of this song.

Popular - It sounds like some 60s musical. Wait, it is from a musical. Haha. Priscilla and Mika are a perfect match. I want more of them. I love Mika’s rap, too. Priscilla surely outshines him in that but the point is that for some unknown reason Mika is the popular one now, despite being ’uncool’. How true: him staying true to himself seems to have paid off.

Emily – I like it better than the French version. Not only because of the really funny and sarky lyrics as well as the perspective Mika is telling the story from but also the ’Emily line’ being a catchy hook this song needed.

Heroes – Beautiful song. I like how the chorus with the echoing sounds is in complete contrast of the verses, as if someone was having nightmares about the horrors of the war they previously fought in.

Celebrate – My least favourite on the album: I find it dull in lyrics, dumbed down in vocals, and Pharrell’s part a joke, to be honest. I like the idea of the basic beat sounding like someone is walking back home happily and occasionally stopping to jump up and down with joy but it sounds like they are marching in clogs (heehee). I do like the end though, except for Mika’s ’urban’ vocals on top. It is a mismatch in style, in my opinion. I was surprised to hear at a live performance what good and personal lyrics the song had originally so I wonder why those needed to be replaced by a couple of ”gonna be okays”. Anyway, he can always sing the original version at concerts.

Make you Happy reprise – Wow. I’m really impressed. It is a response to the lyrics in the earlier version but the strings make it more emotional and he sounds even more determined that he is going to save this relationship.

All in all, I just love how the album flows. It is a story with one song relating to the one after it by continuing the theme in either a similar or completely the opposite aspect. This coherence I never noted on Mika’s first two albums. Concerning the collaborations, I don’t think it was merely some ‘lucky coincidence’ that these worked and made this album sound so good. To me it is pretty obvious that Greg Wells, Jodi Marr, Nick Littlemore, Paul Steele and frYars are among the few people who seem to complement Mika in his songwriting process, so I hope to hear Mika songs with their involvement in the future, too.

Bonus tracks I have heard so far:

Karen - a surprising change from the fragmented, eighties europop sound of last year’s live version, it now sounds like and airy chamber pop ballad from the ’60s (the beginning actually reminds me of Everybody’s Talking): effortless and graceful – the opposite of what I heard before. A nice makeover.

L'Amour Dans Le Mauvais Temps – an even better and more suprising makeover after the Compiegne version. How sweet is the rain sound on the guitar at the beginning and throughout the song. No melodramatic harmonizing throughout, just singing in a soft and restrained way about taking comfort in the loved one despite difficult times. I can even picture watching from the comfort of one’s room how the rain is dripping onto the window sill. The French lyrics must make more sense than the English version we heard as temps is a homonym: it can mean weather or times. Now the song has the right balance in the singing and the arrangements and I enjoy listening to it as it sounds sweet and melancholic.

Un Soleil Mal Luné – a song with classic piano accompanyment sung beautifully so that I don’t even need to understand the lyrics to enjoy it. A little gem of the album.

Tah Dah: I keep wondering if Barry and George could have possibly got together in the mid-eighties to write this awesome song for a future popstar... :mf_rosetinted: Also, did George record the ’freedom to love’ parts? Haha. I am back in time, grooving to the song. Tah Dah

:groovy:

Karen

I don't feel that he did something wrong with this song. Even if I may would have preferred a piano version. Partly I can feel this "freeness", which I like so much about the song, on the studio-version, too. But live (and especially in Compiegne) it had something magical. I don't know, on CD it feels "only" like a French pop song - live it was a chanson with so much emotion that did go straight into my heart.

I'm reading all the threads and posts in a rush, I hope I'll have more time to read and comment soon; but I wanted to quote this because I totally agree. I still like Karen on the album but it is not the song I loved and 'defended' as a French beautiful song a while ago. Now it's more Un Soleil Mal Luné that sounds like that.

Suzie, I'm guessing you're either a native speaker or a professional writer or both. Reading your report was lovely, thank you.

I am neither, but thanks. That was a nice change vs what I do for a living. And that's also why I like visiting the forum.

PS: first post is fully updated with links.

Edited by suzie

Karen

I don't feel that he did something wrong with this song. Even if I may would have preferred a piano version. Partly I can feel this "freeness", which I like so much about the song, on the studio-version, too. But live (and especially in Compiegne) it had something magical. I don't know, on CD it feels "only" like a French pop song - live it was a chanson with so much emotion that did go straight into my heart. While hearing and seeing him live I understand this song even if I don't understand the actual French words.

I'm reading all the threads and posts in a rush, I hope I'll have more time to read and comment soon; but I wanted to quote this because I totally agree. I still like Karen on the album but it is not the song I loved and 'defended' as a French beautiful song a while ago. Now it's more Un Soleil Mal Luné that sounds like that.
that's exactly how I feel about the song, live it sounds more powerful and heartfelt.

And I don't like the dance beat underneath, just piano/guitar and voice would have been better, like Un Soleil Mal Luné: lyrics + his amazing voice + interpretation :thumb_yello:

And same here about the bolded part :wink2:

You know, I was just thinking that there have been so many insightful, thought-provoking reviews posted in this thread... wouldn't it be cool to go and post your reviews on your respective iTunes or Amazon or other sites/blogs where you see the album mentioned? Obviously, all of us here are biased toward loving the album and we're all probably going to buy at least one (and probably more) copies of it.

But I think these reviews could do a lot to entice people who might be casually looking at the "new album" lists! You all have presented some fantastic descriptions and strong reasons for purchasing this album, for taking a chance on Mika again if a person was turned off at some point... And think how good it would look for there to be a long string of really favorable reviews for the album, even before it is available for purchase in many countries! :thumb_yello:

It's just a thought... but it could be one more way for us to help promote The Origin of Love! :wub2:

You know, I was just thinking that there have been so many insightful, thought-provoking reviews posted in this thread... wouldn't it be cool to go and post your reviews on your respective iTunes or Amazon or other sites/blogs where you see the album mentioned? Obviously, all of us here are biased toward loving the album and we're all probably going to buy at least one (and probably more) copies of it.

But I think these reviews could do a lot to entice people who might be casually looking at the "new album" lists! You all have presented some fantastic descriptions and strong reasons for purchasing this album, for taking a chance on Mika again if a person was turned off at some point... And think how good it would look for there to be a long string of really favorable reviews for the album, even before it is available for purchase in many countries! :thumb_yello:

It's just a thought... but it could be one more way for us to help promote The Origin of Love! :wub2:

What a great idea.

As soon as I have chilled down a bit and able to write a conscious review, I will post it there! :naughty:

I already posted my comment in itunes... Need more time for here, as I want to put more details

We all should write our reviews on sites where they sell or talk about the album indeed!

I need to have my Italian edition first :wub2:

I wanted to write a review on iTunes the first night because honestly I don't think anyone reads the reviews that aren't on the front page and there are only 4 or 5. My review in this thread is not appropriate though and I didn't want to stay up half the night rewriting it. :aah:

I'll probably do something for Amazon though.

@DerMoment and @Suzie you are both so good at describing what you hear and how you interpret it. I like to think that in general I'm fairly articulate but not when it comes to this. In fact I don't think most professional reviewers are very good at it either and just talk a lot of jargon and simply say things to be funny or sound sophosticated rather than properly critiquing. Your reviews are more insightful.