Kylie Minogue, Mika to rock Miss Universe finale

dcdeb

I'm not sure how Mika's going to manage this -- I don't

think he's going to fly to Vietnam from France that quickly...

unless he performs live from France for the telecast?

Hmm.... Anyhow... here you go:

Australian singer Kylie Minogue is scheduled to perform in the final show of Miss Universe 2008 at Diamond Bay’s Crown Convention Center in Nha Trang.

Australian superstar singer Kylie Minogue and Britain’s new prodigy Mika will perform in the final show of this year’s Miss Universe pageant, said organizers.

Minogue is an Australian pop singer-songwriter and occasional actress.

She rose to prominence in the late 1980s upon commencing a career as a pop artist in 1987.

She has achieved superstar status with worldwide hits including “Better the devil you know” and “Can’t get you out of my head.”

In 2005, Minogue was diagnosed with breast cancer but overcame the disease to release her tenth studio album entitled “X” in November 2007.

She has recently completed her KylieX2008 world tour.

Minogue was dubbed Officer of the Order of the British Empire by Prince Charles and Knight of the Order of Arts and Literature by French Minister of Culture Christine Albanel earlier this year.

Mika, whose real name is Mica Penniman, is a Lebanese-born, London-based, Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter.

He rose to fame around the end of 2006 with songs like “Grace Kelly” and “Relax, take it easy.”

In 2007, Mika won three awards, the most of any artist, at the World Music Awards – the annual ceremony where awards are given to the biggest selling recording artists internationally.

To date he is the first artist to have won three World Music Awards in one year.

The final show, to be broadcast live worldwide on America’s NBC channel tomorrow morning, will also feature the 2007 VH1 Soul/VIBE Awards winner Robin Thicke.

In related news, the jurors of the final telecast have been revealed with the panel including Miss Universe 2004 Jennifer Hawkins, leading fashion designer Roberto Cavalli and tycoon Donald Trump’s eldest son Donald Trump Jr.

The sole Vietnamese juror for the final show, to be held at Diamond Bay’s Crown Convention Center in coastal Nha Trang beach town, is Thanh Nien’s Editor-in Chief Nguyen Cong Khe.

Reported by Do Tuan

http://www.thanhniennews.com/entertaiments/?catid=6&newsid=40171

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless Mikas got a clone, I'm thinking they'll be showing him live from France.

That's what I said, Rose -- so I wonder what song he's going to do?

I'm guessing it won't be Big Girl for a beauty pageant like this :naughty:

Maybe Love Today, if that's what they used for the opening sequence...?

dcdeb

Love Today

To the rhythm of Mika's "Love Today", the 80 delegates of Miss Universe 2008 pre-taped the opening number and intros wearing their national costumes at the pageant's main stage in the Crown Convention Center in Nha Trang. About 6 hours of intensive production were needed to create the spectacular images that the audience will see during the live telecast on July 13th

http://hectorjoaquin.blogspot.com/2008/07/miss-universe-2008-opening-song-mikas.html

:punk::punk:

:blink::boxed:

so it's not live right?

:blink::boxed:

so it's not live right?

It's confusing, actually -- the item above says:

Australian superstar singer Kylie Minogue and Britain’s new prodigy Mika will perform in the final show of this year’s Miss Universe pageant, said organizers.

And then it says the show is broadcast live... so I'm not sure.

Guess we'll soon see.

dcdeb

It's confusing, actually -- the item above says:

And then it says the show is broadcast live... so I'm not sure.

Guess we'll soon see.

dcdeb

it's confusing indeed.

thanks for explaining.

i don't understand formal english they use in articles and news well

so i thought it was my wrong interpretation:blush-anim-cl:

Interesting!

I'll be sure to watch it :naughty:

(Yesss something -maybe- Mika that's actually gonna be shown in America! :kachinga:)

Thanks Deb! :flowers2:

very interesting, thanks for posting!

that's what i first thought! :thumb_yello:

Crossing fingers, but the Miss Universe website says:

DONALD TRUMP JR., ROBERTO CAVALLI, NADINE VELAZQUEZ, JENNIFER HAWKINS, LOUIS LICARI JOE CINQUE, NGUYEN CONG KHE AND TARYN ROSE TO JUDGE THE 2008 MISS UNIVERSE® PAGEANT ON NBC JULY 13th

Lady GaGa to Perform Her Hit Song "Just Dance" During the Live Telecast from Vietnam

NEW YORK, NY - July 08, 2008 – NBC Universal, Donald J. Trump and Paula M. Shugart, President, Miss Universe Organization, today announced the celebrity judges for the 2008 Miss UNIVERSE® Pageant, which airs live on NBC (simulcast on Telemundo) from the Crown Convention Center in Nha Trang, Khanh Hoa, Vietnam on Sunday, July 13th at 9:00 p.m. ET (delayed PT).

The judges are: Donald Trump Jr., Executive Vice President of the Trump Organization; fashion designer and entrepreneur Roberto Cavalli; Nadine Velazquez, international cover girl and star of NBC’s “My Name Is Earl”; Jennifer Hawkins, television presenter and Miss Universe 2004; Louis Licari, celebrity colorist and “Today Show” ambush makeover expert Joe Cinque, President of the American Academy of Hospitality Sciences; Nguyen Cong Khe, Editor in Chief of Thanh Nien newspaper and international shoe designer Taryn Rose. As previously announced, Jerry Springer and Mel B will host the live telecast of the 57th Annual Miss Universe competition.

The sensational pop star Lady GaGa will be performing her hit “Just Dance” on the telecast. Lady GaGa’s dance-pop, electro-pop and disco sound has rocked venues around the world and is expected to bring the same excitement to Vietnam. Her debut album, “The Fame” will be released this fall.

Each contestant, representing 80 countries and territories from around the world, will be judged in three categories: swimsuit, evening gown and interview as they vie for the coveted title of Miss Universe 2008. The Miss Universe show is an internationally celebrated event with an estimated worldwide viewing audience of more than 1 billion viewers.

Japan native, Riyo Mori, Miss Universe 2007 will crown her successor at the conclusion of the telecast. During her reign, she has traveled the world as an advocate for HIV/AIDS education, research, and legislation. The newly crowned Miss Universe will go on to do the same.

Donald J. Trump and Phil Gurin of The Gurin Company will again serve as Executive Producers for MISS UNIVERSE® 2008.

Crossing fingers, but the Miss Universe website says:

DONALD TRUMP JR., ROBERTO CAVALLI, NADINE VELAZQUEZ, JENNIFER HAWKINS, LOUIS LICARI JOE CINQUE, NGUYEN CONG KHE AND TARYN ROSE TO JUDGE THE 2008 MISS UNIVERSE® PAGEANT ON NBC JULY 13th

Lady GaGa to Perform Her Hit Song "Just Dance" During the Live Telecast from Vietnam

NEW YORK, NY - July 08, 2008 –

So I guess it's a question of who's more up-to-date. The article

I quoted was dated today -- that website article is dated July 8,

a few days ago... so who knows? Either could be old information. :(

In any case, I like Lady GaGa too -- I saw her on the LOGO network's

NewNowNext awards a few weeks ago and thought she was great.

dcdeb

I'm not sure how Mika's going to manage this -- I don't

think he's going to fly to Vietnam from France that quickly...

unless he performs live from France for the telecast?

Hmm.... Anyhow... here you go:

Australian singer Kylie Minogue is scheduled to perform in the final show of Miss Universe 2008 at Diamond Bay’s Crown Convention Center in Nha Trang.

Minogue is an Australian pop singer-songwriter and occasional actress.

She rose to prominence in the late 1980s upon commencing a career as a pop artist in 1987.

She has achieved superstar status with worldwide hits including “Better the devil you know” and “Can’t get you out of my head.”

In 2005, Minogue was diagnosed with breast cancer but overcame the disease to release her tenth studio album entitled “X” in November 2007.

She has recently completed her KylieX2008 world tour.

Minogue was dubbed Officer of the Order of the British Empire by Prince Charles and Knight of the Order of Arts and Literature by French Minister of Culture Christine Albanel earlier this year.

Mika, whose real name is Mica Penniman, is a Lebanese-born, London-based, Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter.

He rose to fame around the end of 2006 with songs like “Grace Kelly” and “Relax, take it easy.”

In 2007, Mika won three awards, the most of any artist, at the World Music Awards – the annual ceremony where awards are given to the biggest selling recording artists internationally.

To date he is the first artist to have won three World Music Awards in one year.

The final show, to be broadcast live worldwide on America’s NBC channel tomorrow morning, will also feature the 2007 VH1 Soul/VIBE Awards winner Robin Thicke.

In related news, the jurors of the final telecast have been revealed with the panel including Miss Universe 2004 Jennifer Hawkins, leading fashion designer Roberto Cavalli and tycoon Donald Trump’s eldest son Donald Trump Jr.

The sole Vietnamese juror for the final show, to be held at Diamond Bay’s Crown Convention Center in coastal Nha Trang beach town, is Thanh Nien’s Editor-in Chief Nguyen Cong Khe.

Reported by Do Tuan

http://www.thanhniennews.com/entertaiments/?catid=6&newsid=40171

hmmm thats a bit odd. but im sure hes got something planned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Universe_2008

+

External Links--

Miss Universe Organization official website

http://www.missuniverse.com/

NBC website

http://www.nbc.com/Miss_Universe_2008/

Miss Universe 2008 official website

http://www.missuniverse2008.com/index.php

Uni Corp - The official Vietnamese organization of Miss Universe 2008 Pageant

http://www.unicorp.vn/

MORE . . .

Race for the crown: Miss Universe preview

Eighty beauties will hit the stage in Vietnam Sunday night

By Mike Celizic

TODAYShow.com contributor

updated 3:48 p.m. ET, Fri., July. 11, 2008

No, there’s no need to adjust your set. That really is Jerry Springer flanked by two healthy, sane and beautiful women and without a negative word to say about anyone.

“How tough is my job?” a beaming Springer told TODAY’s Al Roker, bowing to former Spice Girl Mel B. on his right and Miss Universe-USA Crystle Stewart on his left.

Springer was speaking live from Nha Trang, a gorgeous seaside resort in Vietnam, where on Sunday July 13 (9 ET, 8 CT) he and Spice Girl Melanie Brown — also known as Mel B. or "Scary Spice" — will host the Miss Universe 2008 pageant on NBC. A total of 80 countries have sent contestants to the pageant, each one hoping to succeed the reigning Miss Universe, Riyo Mori of Japan.

Among the contenders is Miss Puerto Rico Ingrid Marie Rivera, who was in the news after alleging that her evening gown at the November 2007 Miss Puerto Rico Universe pageant was doused in pepper spray. The investigation was later dismissed due to lack of evidence.

Pageant judges will include — among others — fashion designer Robert Cavalli, Donald Trump, Jr., and actress Nadine Velazquez. In June, Velazquez made headlines after saying she didn't want to hear the traditional world-peace pledges from contestants at this year's pageant. Instead, the "My Name is Earl" star said she was looking forward to seeing "true passion" from the girls.

So what else are the judges looking for? “They’re looking for beauty, kindness, intelligence — a strong independent woman,” Mel B. told Roker.

“That’s why I was chosen as host,” Springer wisecracked.

“Do you have any favorites?” Roker asked the multi-talented television personality.

“Anyone who’s breathing,” Springer said.

The host of the iconic "The Jerry Springer Show" as well as “America’s Got Talent” said that being in the Vietnamese resort city “is very exciting. Beyond that, it’s a little bit weird, to be honest, because here we were in Vietnam 30 years later, and I have to say the people here have been very friendly.”

More than just a beauty pageant

Miss Universe, along with Miss USA and Miss Teen USA are all pageants owned by Donald Trump and NBC Universal in a joint venture. (Msnbc.com is a joint venture of Microsoft and NBC Universal.) The pageant is committed to increasing HIV/AIDS awareness by focusing on women's health and reproductive issues. It does that through relationships with educational and research organizations such as the Latino Commission on AIDS, God's Love We Deliver, APICHA and Gay Men's Health Crisis.

That’s quite a leap from the pageant’s origins as a local “bathing beauty” competition that began more than half a century ago in Long Beach, Calif., under the sponsorship of Catalina Swimwear. Back, then, the object was to sell bathing suits. Now, it’s to represent the best of young womanhood to the more than 170 nations where the broadcast will be seen.

It’s no longer just about beauty to contestants who are educated, goal-oriented and aware of the world and its problems.

Miss USA, for instance, is no dewy-eyed teenager but a 26-year-old University of Houston graduate with a bachelor’s degree in consumer science and merchandising. Stewart also has her own company, Inside/Out, which she uses as a platform for public speaking appearances, character development lessons and event planning.”

"With Inside/Out, I can teach and show young women that beauty and intelligence are not mutually exclusive," Stewart has said. She also serves as a board member on the Trey Rice Education Fund and Houston Community College's VAST program, which assists individuals who have learning disabilities with educational opportunities. Crystle plans on continuing her work with autistic children, whom she taught as a special education teacher's aid at Elkins High School, during her year as Miss USA and beyond.

The 2008 Miss Universe pageant will air on Sunday July 13 (9 ET, 8 CT) on NBC.