Another one: Freqency cancelled!

mellody

I think that this sort of thing is important and should be taken into consideration when one buys a ticket thinking of going to a festival ONLY to see a certain artist; There is a risk there, and by buying the ticket, one is implicitly willing to accept this risk and the possible consequences of it.

I totally agree with that. Not just with the festivals but generally speaking. Anything could happen at any gig - serious illness, personal tragedy, even travel complications if his schedule is too tight. I considered going to a Boston gig even before this string of cancellations began, but I deemed it too risky to warrant the high price of the flight.

I am now going to Montréal because, provided he gives 24 hours advanced notice, I will only lose the cost of my $30 ticket if he cancels and I can live with that.

I don't think people should be saying "poor Mika" and letting it go though. As Jack pointed out fans should be free to criticize Mika when they don't approve of his professional behaviour.

In my case I'm not even really criticizing him. None of this surprises me and I never had any illusions that he and/or his management were making decisions based on loyalty towards fans rather than what is perceived as best for his career. We also have to take into account that some of these gigs are probably very important to him on a personal level and he's going to favour events where he can mingle with certain artists, celebs and meet up with his friends and family. I'm sure that's part of the reason the UK, Paris, NY and LA take precedence over places he's only spent a few days in or never been to. And we shouldn't be surprised that he'd rather go to Japan than Austria, given his interests.

I think all of this needs to be discussed, not just to let people vent, but because fans need to take off their rose coloured glasses. If for no other reason than they need to be cautious about the risks involved in buying expensive festival tickets and making complicated arrangements for events where there is a high risk of cancellation. There is no point in pretending that an infection is the sole cause of these cancellations because that implies that once the infection has cleared up it won't happen again. Every time he takes the stage people assume that he's no longer ill and it leads to more disappointment.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm soooooooooooooo tired of these discussions :boxed:

Anyway :

- Lyon was a sort of festival BUT the kind of Series, not proper festival, so one concert per night, people who bought the ticket bought for Mika and the support, no one else. And they got the possibility to get refunded (i think)

- They will NEVER cancel tours gigs the same way they cancel those festival, so you don't have to worry : just look at how he was during the last US tour, with his (real this time) chest infection, still performing, still taking his shirt off, still signing, etc. Because it was a tour.

- Yes this behaviour from the organization sucks. But what can we do ? Nothing.

may i underline...a USA tour? this has got a meaning for me.....:mf_rosetinted:

When one buys a ticket for a festival, it is with the PRIOR knowledge that these will not be refunded (unless the whole thing is cancelled I assume), and that anything can happen to any particular act on the day.

I think that this sort of thing is important and should be taken into consideration when one buys a ticket thinking of going to a festival ONLY to see a certain artist; There is a risk there, and by buying the ticket, one is implicitly willing to accept this risk and the possible consequences of it.

All that I wanted to say is that by buying the ticket one ACCEPTS the terms of it and the risks involved, so it seems a bit pointless to throw arguments such as the ones mentioned above when things go wrong.

Sorry but it's just too easy for me...

With that mentality you don't go to any festivals anymore...

It looks like Mika & Amy are the world champions of cancellation at the moment...

Too easy? For me it is as clear as it can be. That is just the way it works when it comes to festivals. For me it is too easy to be deeply disappointed when one particular artist cancels his/her performance for a festival. Save yourself the disappointment beforehand - visit a festival for the festival itself, not for that one particular artist. I would never buy a 125 euro ticket for Lowlands - for example - just to see Mika. It's worth the money when I have the intention to enjoy the whole 3-day festival, not for just one performance of one particular artist. Just my 2 cents. :wink2:

Anything could happen at any gig - serious illness, personal tragedy, even travel complications if his schedule is too tight.

I totally agree with that. It's people we are talking about, not robots. And there is a whole band involved, not only Mika himself. And I also think there are many things happening behind the scenes, things that we are not aware of - fair enough, most things are just none of our business.

Sorry but it's just too easy for me...

With that mentality you don't go to any festivals anymore...

It looks like Mika & Amy are the world champions of cancellation at the moment...

Not being funny, but I don't think that it's about how easy or not it is...it's just the way things are!

And I suppose that whether you go to festivals or not totally depends on what your reasons for going to festivals are....in any case it's entirely your own choice but you can't hold anyone else responsible for how you choose to interpret things...

:blush-anim-cl:

I think I did not find to what arguments ur replying this (I mean ur previous post)?!

Is it for people complaining about the price of it cost only ?

Hehehe this is getting confusing isn't it?:roftl:

I think (I am not sure of much at this stage cause I posted i don't know how many times today) that what you mention is a post where I was replying to your reply to mine, when you said that festivals were very expensive and also people did not get refunds for them....

I was wondering when he'd cancel that one :lol3:

He has to give a reason for the cancellation

what is he suposed to say? I killed a bunny and am now in a deep depression?

the ear thing always helps

what is he suposed to say? I killed a bunny and am now in a deep depression?

no, "i WILL kill a bunny on august 15 and after that WILL be in a deep depression"! :lmao:

Does anybody know when exactly the ear infection is planned to start off? :mf_rosetinted: Are three days enough for something like that to fully develop (provided that shirts are taken off properly and the weather is bad enough on 12th....)? :blink:

Does anybody know when exactly the ear infection is planned to start off? :mf_rosetinted: Are three days enogh for something like that to fully develop (provided that shirts are taken off properly and the weather is bad enough on 12th....)? :blink:

Don't even think about asking me (the doc me)... I've been trying to figure what type of ear infection it is, and i must admit i'm lost :no: Nothing like that in my books :no:

My advice : don't plan to go to Taubertal :mf_rosetinted::biggrin2:

violet_sky, you could try this: http://www.sozialhilfe24.de/jobs/jobs-anz_200.html - they're looking for people to sell drinks at the taubertal festival, and if they can promise to give you time off during the mika gig, you wouldn't have to buy tickets and could still earn some money, even if mika cancels. i'm thinking of doing it. :biggrin2:

yop, that's just proof of how unique mika is, he even has really unique illnesses! :lmao:

Don't even think about asking me (the doc me)... I've been trying to figure what type of ear infection it is, and i must admit i'm lost :no: Nothing like that in my books :no:

My advice : don't plan to go to Taubertal :mf_rosetinted::biggrin2:

And boy has she looked! :mf_rosetinted:

Just thought id say hi, as i just registered and also that in sommerset mika was saying how he used to waiter there and that however he was feeling he wouldnt cancel! So maybe he is feeling ill or tired and just cancelling some days to ease the load, it is packed!

Hey Coconut! Welcome here!

Funny name btw... :fish:

I agree with what you say, I think that he is feeling the pressure (and probably the band too) of a way-too-packed schedule and he/they are just trying to ease it a bit by sacrificing the gigs that they think will impact less, or whatever....

I have the feeling that he's doing way too much travelling and performing, and it's wearing him down, which is not good!!

He gives so much in his performances too, he's such a perfectionist, so obviously he would not want to disappoint anyone by doing a less than perfect gig and he'd rather do no gig at all.....That's what I think anyway.

I really hope that he can slow down because I do think that his voice is suffering now, and that, in the long term, it will affect him negatively, so I am hoping that he/they will see the light and try and have a more relaxed schedule in the future....

violet_sky, you could try this: http://www.sozialhilfe24.de/jobs/jobs-anz_200.html - they're looking for people to sell drinks at the taubertal festival, and if they can promise to give you time off during the mika gig, you wouldn't have to buy tickets and could still earn some money, even if mika cancels. i'm thinking of doing it. :biggrin2:

yop, that's just proof of how unique mika is, he even has really unique illnesses! :lmao:

Thank you for that suggestion, it would be a possibility but I don't think I'll apply for it, I guess they are looking for staff to stay over the whole weekend and as I'm not a passionate camper and live too far away to drive home each day it doesn't do for me.

That uncertainty really annoys me and I do think it is quite unlikely that they won't cancel; there is that GMA thing just two days before and strange enough a Canada gig on the same day ?!? (This is something I don't get either :blink:) So we are sitting here not knowing what is going on neither what to do while in fact everything might be settled internally already. I've been talking to others this morning on gabbly about it and they said it was just part of the business to book the quite promising artists just to attract the audience and make them buy the tickets - so it wouldn't surprise me if it were the festival management who are holding back the information.

To put it in a nutshell, I don't like that it is us who are let down to our own decision-making on a base that is not a very reliable one...