Any Christians?

JoPerrin

I've never posted in this thread...atleast I don't believe I have.

Well, I am Christian. I was born Catholic, and I'll probably be Catholic all of my life.

My relationship with God: Well, I doubted him for a while, until last year when I was on my senior retreat. I had to give this big speech (I was a retreat leadeR), a very personal intimate account of something emotional...as a way of breaking the ice and letting the rest of my class know that I trusted them. So as you can imagine I was scared out of my mind. But what the other retreat leaders did was pray over me before I gave my talk... I did it for them as well (we all had to do one) and something shocking happened within me.

Me, nervous and shakey suddenly became calm. I felt like God spoke to me and touched me through their hands on my shoulders. I opened my eyes after the prayer and gave the best speech of my life... and I was calm, confident and in tune with everything.

So that was when it hit me...I had no doubt he existed after that.

BUT, I am not considered to be your average Catholic. I practice Kabbalah, which is NOT a religion but many like to say it is. Its a way of thinking.

I also am really interested in Buddhism...

i just feel like I'm open to all things, but I consider myself a christian because he is my ultimate role model.

I due have battles with my religion though, I think its healthy (for me) to stretch my mind and ask questions. To even doubt from time to time...and ther are a few doctrines I don't believe in.

but I want to be in this thread, because I do believe there's a God and I do believe that he blessed me and gave me a purpose. My relationship with him, I feel, is always progressing.

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amanda, that sounds like a special experience :thumb_yello: I hope you don't have too many things to cry about in your life... :huglove: but it sounds very powerful :original:

BonjourMika (how do i not know your name?! :blush-anim-cl:), it sounds like you had a really special experience too....I know what you mean, once something like that happens, it never leaves you.

I have a similar attitude towards the church: I'm Catholic too, but I have serious misgivings about the institution of the church. I focus on the spiritual side and my relationship with God. I think, like you say, it's very important to question what is taught to you or passed down to you, rather than blindly accepting things. It bothers me that women are not allowed to become priests; it really angers me when the church says that homosexuality is a sin; I also don't see premarital sex as wrong. So I focus on what's important to me and what I believe is part of the true message of Jesus.

Glad you decided to come in and talk to us. :thumb_yello:

Well, I am Christian. I was born Catholic, and I'll probably be Catholic all of my life.

My relationship with God: Well, I doubted him for a while, until last year when I was on my senior retreat. I had to give this big speech (I was a retreat leadeR), a very personal intimate account of something emotional...as a way of breaking the ice and letting the rest of my class know that I trusted them. So as you can imagine I was scared out of my mind. But what the other retreat leaders did was pray over me before I gave my talk... I did it for them as well (we all had to do one) and something shocking happened within me.

Me, nervous and shakey suddenly became calm. I felt like God spoke to me and touched me through their hands on my shoulders. I opened my eyes after the prayer and gave the best speech of my life... and I was calm, confident and in tune with everything.

I'm glad you could have experienced something like that. I think many Christians at one point or another have doubted His existence, although I can't personally remember a time when I thought He wasn't real. In any case, I am glad that He showed Himself to you and that you have no doubts now. It's a great feeling, yeah?

BUT, I am not considered to be your average Catholic. I practice Kabbalah, which is NOT a religion but many like to say it is. Its a way of thinking.

i just feel like I'm open to all things, but I consider myself a christian because he is my ultimate role model.

Actually I have looked up the meaning of Kabbalah and I believe it's considered to be a cult, which by definition means "a system of religious beliefs and ritual" or "a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious"....so I don't think it can be denied to have the label as being religious because it's still connected to a cult. That's just my take on it, though...

I hope you won't be offended by my saying this, but I wish you would possibly consider how it affects your relationship with God to be "open to" other relationships with differing religions (ie kabbalah, buddhism). Just in reading the 10 commandments, the Lord calls us to have no other gods before us...and you know, He's dead serious about that! :boxed: In my own life, I can very easily point out what other gods I've put before Jesus (Mika...Queen...Gwen...etc..etc...) ...and honestly, it's so not worth it! I know that God is the only thing in this world that can fulfill me and I guess I'm just saying that I would love for you to have that too, Melanie. But I also don't think you can have your cake and eat it too, you know? I personally feel that if you love the Lord, you'll find it in yourself to trust, obey, and only regard Him as the true way for how you live your life. Otherwise, you're not fully giving yourself to Him and in the end what's the point of saying you're a Christian if you can't do those things for Him? To me, it seems like a small, insignificant thing to give whenever I consider how He died so that all of us could live.

I due have battles with my religion though, I think its healthy (for me) to stretch my mind and ask questions. To even doubt from time to time...and ther are a few doctrines I don't believe in.

but I want to be in this thread, because I do believe there's a God and I do believe that he blessed me and gave me a purpose. My relationship with him, I feel, is always progressing.

I don't disagree that it isn't healthy to stretch your mind and ask questions, but if you're serious about being a Christian then I challenge you now to really dig deep in yourself and ask yourself how much of yourself you are willing to give over to the Lord. I myself have been doing this all summer long and I can't tell you how much my relationship with God has strengthened. I feel closer and closer to Him all the time now just because I have endeavored to challenge myself. Or maybe He has been challenging me? Who knows....but I do know I want to follow Him and feel this way forever.

As for there being doctrines that you don't believe in...well, the way I see it is God set those doctrines/rules for a reason and I find it baffling that Christians are so able to accept Jesus' love and yet, they can turn around and do exactly what God tells us not to. We all disobey His commands from time to time, there's no doubt about that, but we're also able to consistently say "Well, the Lord loves me, so He'll still love me if I break one of His rules." To me, that's simply hypocritical behavior. And I certainly don't point my finger at you in saying this, Melanie, because I'm as guilty as any other. However, I am a person that consistently tries to welcome conviction in order to improve in my life. I know that the Lord created those rules for a reason and to question them constantly is not what He has told us to do. Anyway....maybe you should talk to the Lord about your disagreements with the doctrines. You never know, He may talk back! :)

Anyway...I hope my posts don't offend you or scare you away. I just read your post and felt led to say what I did. I think you're a great person and I think by opening yourself up to other stuff, that isn't necessarily going to help your relationship progress with God....but only hinder it from flourishing. I just hope that you'll consider giving yourself to Him fully, because your life will only get improve. I think so, anyway. :)

Oh, and I some news about Alex! He was able to walk yesterday! Thanks so much to everyone for their prayers!

Amanda, that sounds like a special experience :thumb_yello: I hope you don't have too many things to cry about in your life... :huglove: but it sounds very powerful :original:

BonjourMika (how do i not know your name?! :blush-anim-cl:), it sounds like you had a really special experience too....I know what you mean, once something like that happens, it never leaves you.

I have a similar attitude towards the church: I'm Catholic too, but I have serious misgivings about the institution of the church. I focus on the spiritual side and my relationship with God. I think, like you say, it's very important to question what is taught to you or passed down to you, rather than blindly accepting things. It bothers me that women are not allowed to become priests; it really angers me when the church says that homosexuality is a sin; I also don't see premarital sex as wrong. So I focus on what's important to me and what I believe is part of the true message of Jesus.

Aw, thanks Neeve! Actually, the picture is very true to how I have been feeling for months now....but I am glad to say the Lord has been comforting me in ways that other people could help me. :)

I agree with what you said about focusing on your relationship with God, instead of what other's tell you. I think it's really important to just remember that God is the only opinion that matters and not necessarily the church's, etc.... In the end, God is the one that you need to please, not anyone else!

Alex walked?! :shocked: That's fantastic!!!! I hope he continues to improve!! :biggrin2:

I just read what you said to Melanie (now I know her name :thumb_yello:) about not accepting some doctrines.....and since I feel similarly to how she feels, I want to state MY issue with this. We cannot avoid the fact that the church is a human institution. And as with all human insitutions, there are people who become corrupted..I mean, a stroll through Rome is enough to prove that many popes believed themselves kings, creating exquisite and unbelievably expensive effigies of THEMSELVES - and all this when they're supposed to be servants of God, and when Jesus washed his disciples' feet...THAT to me is hypocrisy, and it's just one proof that the church is human. As such, I truly believe that some of the teachings of the church were NOT part of Jesus' message, but rather have been added and manipulated through centuries of men trying to keep power for themsleves, keeping control over people, keeping women out of the church. It's also well known that there are gospels that have been kept out of the Bible because they did not support what the church wants to promote.

THAT'S whay I don't accept everything that the church teaches. I think God gave us minds and intellects to investigate, question and choose what we believe is right and true.

Just to be clear, I'm not judging anyone here. This is MY opinion. :thumb_yello:

Aw, thanks Neeve! Actually, the picture is very true to how I have been feeling for months now....but I am glad to say the Lord has been comforting me in ways that other people could help me. :)

I agree with what you said about focusing on your relationship with God, instead of what other's tell you. I think it's really important to just remember that God is the only opinion that matters and not necessarily the church's, etc.... In the end, God is the one that you need to please, not anyone else!

Yes, I totally agree!! :blush-anim-cl::thumb_yello:

I'm glad to hear that you're doing better.....I hope things brighten up for you and that you continue to find what you need :wink2:

Alex walked?! :shocked: That's fantastic!!!! I hope he continues to improve!! :biggrin2:

I just read what you said to Melanie (now I know her name :thumb_yello:) about not accepting some doctrines.....and since I feel similarly to how she feels, I want to state MY issue with this. We cannot avoid the fact that the church is a human institution. And as with all human insitutions, there are people who become corrupted..I mean, a stroll through Rome is enough to prove that many popes believed themselves kings, creating exquisite and unbelievably expensive effigies of THEMSELVES - and all this when they're supposed to be servants of God, and when Jesus washed his disciples' feet...THAT to me is hypocrisy, and it's just one proof that the church is human. As such, I truly believe that some of the teachings of the church were NOT part of Jesus' message, but rather have been added and manipulated through centuries of men trying to keep power for themsleves, keeping control over people, keeping women out of the church. It's also well known that there are gospels that have been kept out of the Bible because they did not support what the church wants to promote.

THAT'S whay I don't accept everything that the church teaches. I think God gave us minds and intellects to investigate, question and choose what we believe is right and true.

Just to be clear, I'm not judging anyone here. This is MY opinion. :thumb_yello:

Yes, a HUGE improvement! I was overjoyed last night when I got the e-mail! I guess keep praying though....let's hope he makes a full recovery. :)

In regard to your feelings....I completely understand you and I guess I should make myself clear with this one, too.

The way I feel about this is that the church is not who you should be "following" or who you should be trying to please. I think that you should endeavor to follow the Lord as much as you can, because in the end it is only His opinion that is really going to count. We are all humans - even the people of a church, such as a pastor, etc... - so they are sinners just like the rest of us. Having said that, I do believe that people need to think for themselves in that regard.

I'll add that I believe following God's commands (ie. what is stated in the Bible and what He tells us to do) is truly a good way to show that you love and want to obey Him. And yes, I know there are some things in the Bible that are difficult to adhere to and follow, but I personally feel like that is a great guideline for us.

So really, I do agree with some of the things you've said. I know that a few years ago I was only really a Christian because I was born into it. I basically was riding my parents coat tails and eventually I got saved all over again, because I wanted to be sure that I was doing it for myself and not for anyone else. I was better off for it. :)

Yes, a HUGE improvement! I was overjoyed last night when I got the e-mail! I guess keep praying though....let's hope he makes a full recovery. :)

In regard to your feelings....I completely understand you and I guess I should make myself clear with this one, too.

The way I feel about this is that the church is not who you should be "following" or who you should be trying to please. I think that you should endeavor to follow the Lord as much as you can, because in the end it is only His opinion that is really going to count. We are all humans - even the people of a church, such as a pastor, etc... - so they are sinners just like the rest of us. Having said that, I do believe that people need to think for themselves in that regard.

I'll add that I believe following God's commands (ie. what is stated in the Bible and what He tells us to do) is truly a good way to show that you love and want to obey Him. And yes, I know there are some things in the Bible that are difficult to adhere to and follow, but I personally feel like that is a great guideline for us.

So really, I do agree with some of the things you've said. I know that a few years ago I was only really a Christian because I was born into it. I basically was riding my parents coat tails and eventually I got saved all over again, because I wanted to be sure that I was doing it for myself and not for anyone else. I was better off for it. :)

I really am delighted to hear that! Do they know what sickness he had/has?

I think you put it really well, saying that it's about following God and not people/a church.

My issue is not with things that are difficult to follow, but things that I believe are fundamentally wrong, and not part of Jesus's message... I know that the Bible is our guideline, but for me, it's important to remember that this has also been translated, interpreted, re-interpreted, and re-worked time and again. I guess someone could ask me, well if you don't accept everything the Bible says, how do you decide what parts to accept? Once again, for me it comes down to the basic message of love, forgiveness, honesty, etc....the tenets of being a good person and of living the life that I believe portrays those traits.

Okay, I have to go for dinner! Will talk soon :thumb_yello:

I respect your opinions, really, because I've heard them from alot of people :) and thank you for night being "righteous" or anything.

And there is no one before God.

The research I've done on Kabbalah, the books I've read don't call us to worship any idols. Its more of a way of thinking I guess. I spent hours in the kabbalah center a few weeks ago talking with an advisor about my religion. She assured me that I wasn't joining a cult.

Of course, I'm sure many think she would say that because she's trying to promote Kabbalah. But in my heart, I feel like this way of thinking HAS brought me closer to God, by kinda cleaning out my insides. Its kind of like "The Secret" which aids you in thinking more postively and attracting positive thinking into your life.

Everyone follows their own path. Someday I might be closer to the community of believers. For now, I guess I am focusing on my personal relationship with God.

I've been in Catholic school, all of my life. The commandments were taken very seriously. And I follow them. AS for false idol worship, I don't do it. The red string on my wrist is no more than a symbol of protection.

And as far as the doctrines are concerned. I'm just very confused about all of the rules and regulations that I have to follow to be a "good person". I feel like I am already good. I know people who follow every single thing in the bible and are wretched, mean, cold, stern people. Its about the person who you are, I guess.

I read in my theology book once that being homosexual is NOT a sin. But acting on the sexual desire IS a sin. Fine, but why then do so many people in my religion argue that one cannot possibly be BORN gay?

Its just all very confusing, and many times absurd. I don't like when a church discriminates, and I have found that to be true for a few of my friends and family (who happen to be gay)

Culturaly, I am interested in Buddhism, but I don't worship Buddah. I listen to the Dalai Lama from time to time, because he's a peaceful person with wise ideas. And he himself is tolerant of all spiritualities.

But to put it more simply, I guess I've got a ways to go. The thing is, I've always loved learning, so I question many things. I can't help that. I love God, and I feel him around me all the time. :)

I really am delighted to hear that! Do they know what sickness he had/has?

Actually, the doctors still have no idea what was causing the sickness. Right now, they're just relieved to see the littlest bit improvement. I hope that he continues to improve, as I can't imagine the stress and fright his parents have been experiencing.

I think you put it really well, saying that it's about following God and not people/a church.

My issue is not with things that are difficult to follow, but things that I believe are fundamentally wrong, and not part of Jesus's message... I know that the Bible is our guideline, but for me, it's important to remember that this has also been translated, interpreted, re-interpreted, and re-worked time and again. I guess someone could ask me, well if you don't accept everything the Bible says, how do you decide what parts to accept? Once again, for me it comes down to the basic message of love, forgiveness, honesty, etc....the tenets of being a good person and of living the life that I believe portrays those traits.

I understand what you mean...and I think you are right in choosing to believe those messages from the Bible. For me personally, I just endeavor to do what I feel the Lord has called me to do and even though I may fall at times, it's all about working towards goodness. I know that I will never be as good as Jesus, but I can certainly endeavor to give my best effort to do that!

Okay, I have to go for dinner! Will talk soon :thumb_yello:

Have a good night! I was happy to talk to you! :)

I respect your opinions, really, because I've heard them from alot of people :) and thank you for night being "righteous" or anything.

No problem...and I certainly don't mean to be lecturing you at all, so I'm relieved that I didn't come off as being a know-it-all or anything. :)

And there is no one before God.

The research I've done on Kabbalah, the books I've read don't call us to worship any idols. Its more of a way of thinking I guess. I spent hours in the kabbalah center a few weeks ago talking with an advisor about my religion. She assured me that I wasn't joining a cult.

Of course, I'm sure many think she would say that because she's trying to promote Kabbalah. But in my heart, I feel like this way of thinking HAS brought me closer to God, by kinda cleaning out my insides. Its kind of like "The Secret" which aids you in thinking more postively and attracting positive thinking into your life.

Although I don't personally understand what you are going through, I suppose I can understand what you're talking about. I have limited knowledge about the Kabbalah, but my take on it has always been that it was basically similar to a religion, but definitely not full throttle (dunno if that makes sense, but hey). I suppose for me personally, I have come to find that I am much more fulfilled in my relationship when I am dependent on Him rather than anything else.

For instance, over the last couple of weeks I have been almost completely separted from my bf....this has been really tough for me because, as you can imagine, I'm quite dependent on him for many things. However, things happened in such a way that I felt as though God was challenging me to gain distance from Chris so that I could see just how dependent I was on him....over time I've realized just how little trust I had in God and even less dependence on Him. I think the Lord loves for us to depend on Him. He promises us that He will never give us too much that we cannot handle and I think He promised that because he wants us to be in a place of longing for Him. Isn't that wonderful? Just how much He wants to take care of us? I think it is...

Everyone follows their own path. Someday I might be closer to the community of believers. For now, I guess I am focusing on my personal relationship with God.

You are correct there....everyone does have their own path to take and I certainly don't disagree with you there. I actually believe that our relationships are ongoing and that we have so much to learn about Him/our relationship with Him. You've definitely got time to get to that point if that's your desire. :)

I've been in Catholic school, all of my life. The commandments were taken very seriously. And I follow them. AS for false idol worship, I don't do it. The red string on my wrist is no more than a symbol of protection.

And as far as the doctrines are concerned. I'm just very confused about all of the rules and regulations that I have to follow to be a "good person". I feel like I am already good. I know people who follow every single thing in the bible and are wretched, mean, cold, stern people. Its about the person who you are, I guess.

I understand where you're coming from. I don't necessarily believe that people can just "be good." I think this is something that all of us have to work towards even if we always fall short of God's glory.

I also believe that people sin when they don't even realize it. You can say you're a good person because you don't lie, cheat, steal, etc...etc... but what then about gossiping about other people? Or vanity? Or disobeying in any other command that the Lord gave that may seem very small and insignificant to us? I guess what I am trying to say is....we all may not break the law daily, but there are certainly other ways in which we may not be so good that we don't stop to consider. And I totally include myself in this because I know I must have moments when the Lord probably wants to shake me!

I read in my theology book once that being homosexual is NOT a sin. But acting on the sexual desire IS a sin. Fine, but why then do so many people in my religion argue that one cannot possibly be BORN gay?

Its just all very confusing, and many times absurd. I don't like when a church discriminates, and I have found that to be true for a few of my friends and family (who happen to be gay)

Culturaly, I am interested in Buddhism, but I don't worship Buddah. I listen to the Dalai Lama from time to time, because he's a peaceful person with wise ideas. And he himself is tolerant of all spiritualities.

But to put it more simply, I guess I've got a ways to go. The thing is, I've always loved learning, so I question many things. I can't help that. I love God, and I feel him around me all the time. :)

There's nothing wrong with questioning things....in fact, I definitely encourage you to do so, as long as it will enable you to move closer to the Lord. Anyway...if you ever need anyone to talk to about these things, please don't hesitate to approach me. If anything, I am all for people building stronger relationships with Jesus, because I know from experience what it is like to feel lost and to want to find a peace that seems so out of reach. I can tell you that if you're willing, He will give you all the love, comfort, and trust that you need to feel fulfilled.

ahh i have so missed this thread very much:bleh:

Amanda-i'm so sorry about Alex and all that he's going through, but it sounds like he's making progress which is wonderful! I will def. keep him in my prayers!

I am sad to say I can't do the bible study at my church, because of transporation issues:tears: i had been really looking foward to it, but my mom said she had to much school work, and had no time to do it or take me:thumbdown:. But I guess i don't need a bible study to still love God:biggrin2:

Good to see you in here! It's been a while! :)

Thanks for your prayers for Alex...gosh, I can't tell you how relieved I was to read that he's doing better. I don't even know him personally, but I quickly became emotionally invested in the situation with him. I'll be sure to report if anything else occurs.

Aw, that's too bad about you not getting to attend your Bible study. Do you know anyone else that attends that you could commute with? Maybe someone would be willing to carpool!

Anyone about??

I drew another picture last night...got the inspiration from a Keith Green lyric and then almost immediately read a scripture that was along the same lines as the lyrics. It wasn't my best drawing, but I love the concept. :)

about the bible study-unfortuantly it's all moms/older women so i don't think i'm aloud to go without my mom:thumbdown: but i think i might have inspired them to start a teen study:punk:

ooo you should def. post it!:bleh:

Well, that's definitely good news! I don't see why you couldn't attend though... if anything, all of the women there would be happy to see a younger person there that can contribute different viewpoints. At least, I know when I used to attend a study group, all of the women were 35 and older and they were glad that I cam each week. :)

I may try to do that!

Jess, I'm glad to hear things are looking up. I know that God will give your sister the strength to get through whatever she's going through

Thank you so much Niamh. :huglove:

I'm sure He will..I am so proud of her right now, she's a warrior.

Yeah it was... I thought I'd put her as my avvie...

I hope your sister is okay... *hugs*

I'll be thinking of Jess' sister and Alex and his family...

Who is in it now? xD

Thank you so much, things seem to be a lot better, but she could still definitely use some prayers.

You guys are so amazing. :D

Hey Melanie.

Isn't the Holy Spirit just awesome? :punk:

I understand where you're coming from with your doubts.

I'm certainly nowhere near perfect and have doubted, and I constantly struggle with trusting, but that's a part of my relationship with God I've been trying to improve..getting past this "toddler" stage in my faith and moving on to a more intimate point in my relationship. I realize that I've been resting on a plateau in my spiritual life because that's where I have felt more comfortable..but I'm tired of just resting on where I feel comfortable and am ready to completely surrender myself and open my heart to God. I still don't know what it is God is calling me to do, but just having that accepting attitude towards whatever God's plan for me feels so great.

Aaaanyway, I'm glad you've joined us! :)

and when Jesus washed his disciples' feet...THAT to me is hypocrisy, and it's just one proof that the church is human. As such, I truly believe that some of the teachings of the church were NOT part of Jesus' message, but rather have been added and manipulated through centuries of men trying to keep power for themsleves, keeping control over people,

You really think Jesus washing his disciples' feet was hypocrisy? I'm curious as to why? (Don't take this the wrong way, I don't think you're stupid or anything like that for thinking so..I'm just really curious. )

The way I feel about this is that the church is not who you should be "following" or who you should be trying to please. I think that you should endeavor to follow the Lord as much as you can, because in the end it is only His opinion that is really going to count.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. If people did things just to please others, I think they're missing the point. hahah

I know how you feel Melanie. My uncle was gay, so I understand where you're coming from. I can't help but to feel angered when I hear stories of gays being discriminated against. I believe Christians should be loving and accepting towards all, because we are all sinners. What right could we possibly have to condemn or judge others for their sins? Jesus looks upon us all with love and gentleness, not in a condemning manner, so what right do we have condemning others and declaring who goes to hell and who doesn't? We don't..

I am sad to say I can't do the bible study at my church, because of transporation issues i had been really looking foward to it, but my mom said she had to much school work, and had no time to do it or take me. But I guess i don't need a bible study to still love God

Aww, I was just thinking about you last night and was going to message you on myspace to ask about your Bible Study..I'm sorry you can't go. :( But I really hope that teen one works out for you!

Anyone about??

I drew another picture last night...got the inspiration from a Keith Green lyric and then almost immediately read a scripture that was along the same lines as the lyrics. It wasn't my best drawing, but I love the concept.

Hey Amanda--lets see it. :wink2:

Hey everyone!! How are ye today?

Thank you so much Niamh. :huglove:

I'm sure He will..I am so proud of her right now, she's a warrior.

Thank you so much, things seem to be a lot better, but she could still definitely use some prayers.

You guys are so amazing. :D

You really think Jesus washing his disciples' feet was hypocrisy? I'm curious as to why? (Don't take this the wrong way, I don't think you're stupid or anything like that for thinking so..I'm just really curious. )

Hey Jess, I'm glad to hear she's doing better, I hope she continues to improve! :wink2:

About Jesus washing his disciples feet, no no you misunderstood; this is what I said:

We cannot avoid the fact that the church is a human institution. And as with all human insitutions, there are people who become corrupted..I mean, a stroll through Rome is enough to prove that many popes believed themselves kings, creating exquisite and unbelievably expensive effigies of THEMSELVES - and all this when they're supposed to be servants of God, and when Jesus washed his disciples' feet...THAT to me is hypocrisy, and it's just one proof that the church is human.

The hypocrisy I'm referring to is that of the popes who exalt themselves when they're supposed to be like Jesus who humbled himself....see what I mean? :thumb_yello:

Hey everyone!! How are ye today?

Hey Jess, I'm glad to hear she's doing better, I hope she continues to improve! :wink2:

About Jesus washing his disciples feet, no no you misunderstood; this is what I said:

The hypocrisy I'm referring to is that of the popes who exalt themselves when they're supposed to be like Jesus who humbled himself....see what I mean? :thumb_yello:

Oh I understand you now. haha

Has anyone ever had their feet washed by someone? (As an act of humility and of imitating what Jesus did for his disciples?)

It really is a shame that some popes have taken advantage of their authority when they are supposed to lead us closer to Christ. It's a shame that some of the corrupt popes and historical figures of the church have tainted the image of the Catholic church. It just goes to show that they are only human, and we're not in heaven. But thankfully, not all are corrupt. I think we can trust Benedict.

So how has everyone been? :original:

Hey ladies. :)

I am fine, how are you all?

Actually, speaking of Catholicism...I saw the movie Brideshead Revisited yesterday and it's got a lot of Catholicism in it. Unfortunately, the movie painted Catholics in a really poor light (fairly offensive, if you ask me)...but from what I gather the book was much better and even made the point that Catholicism is a good thing. I enjoyed the movie, but overall it left me wanting to re-write some parts. :)

I just wanted to share a drawing that I made the other night. I was reading my Bible and listening to Keith Green at the same time. I became really overwhelmed with some feelings that I've been having lately...and finally I just prayed that the Lord would give me a vision so that I could draw how I am feeling. I don't know if I've mentioned this here before, but since I was really young I have always been insecure with drawing/art. I always told myself I wasn't good at it, so to have the Lord give me this vision was something special.

The picture is a little difficult to see...so I'll try to describe it as best as I can.

In the center, I drew myself....kneeling down and crying with my head in my hands. Around myself, I drew the words Disappointment, Weary, Uncertain, Impatient, and Sad. Then there are several "waves" flowing down from every angle which end up touching my body. All of those represent the Holy Spirit and along each wave I wrote out scriptures that were particularly meaningful or comforting to me. (ie. the Holy Spirit represents a source of comfort to me in my life).

Here are the scriptures that I used: Matthew 11:28-30, Proverbs 3:5-6, Jeremiah 31:3, Romans 15:13, and Phillipians 4:6-7.

Also I wrote at the lefthand corner the lyrics from the Keith song ("When I Hear the Praises Start") that I was listening to. The lyrics to this song have really spoken to me over the last couple of weeks. Here are the lyrics and a video of him performing the song:

Here's the first picture: l_57891697c8a98ebb60e9c48cd56da526.jpg

l_386f61b44910eadd50f185030b50304f.jpg

Wow... I like the drawing... I think it's quite powerful...

Hey there Melanie!

Don't worry, you're not the only one that struggles with faith... I've not long come back to it...

Even though I struggle with my faith, I feel like God is leading me in the right direction, and I think I'm starting to trust Him more...

And questioning is good... it helps you grow in your faith...

Oh, and I some news about Alex! He was able to walk yesterday! Thanks so much to everyone for their prayers!

That's great news!

I just read what you said to Melanie (now I know her name) about not accepting some doctrines.....and since I feel similarly to how she feels, I want to state MY issue with this. We cannot avoid the fact that the church is a human institution. And as with all human insitutions, there are people who become corrupted..I mean, a stroll through Rome is enough to prove that many popes believed themselves kings, creating exquisite and unbelievably expensive effigies of THEMSELVES - and all this when they're supposed to be servants of God, and when Jesus washed his disciples' feet...THAT to me is hypocrisy, and it's just one proof that the church is human. As such, I truly believe that some of the teachings of the church were NOT part of Jesus' message, but rather have been added and manipulated through centuries of men trying to keep power for themsleves, keeping control over people, keeping women out of the church. It's also well known that there are gospels that have been kept out of the Bible because they did not support what the church wants to promote.

One happens to be the Gospel of Judas...

I agree with you...

That bit about homosexuality is something I've read in the Catechism of the Catholic Church...

My personal opinion on is is that someone can be gay and still love God. As far as I'm concerned, being gay doesn't hurt anyone.

Who is in it now? xD

It's Darth Maul... he's the apprentice sith lord in Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace...

He's a Zabrak :naughty:...

I got a bit excitable whenI saw the movie cause he had a double edged light sabre, but wasn't happy when he died...

Hey ladies. :)

Actually, speaking of Catholicism...I saw the movie Brideshead Revisited yesterday and it's got a lot of Catholicism in it. Unfortunately, the movie painted Catholics in a really poor light (fairly offensive, if you ask me)...but from what I gather the book was much better and even made the point that Catholicism is a good thing. I enjoyed the movie, but overall it left me wanting to re-write some parts. :)

Hmmmm... I've heard of it, neverseen it though...

There are a few books/movies that are a bit like that...

The Da Vinci Code is one (the Catholic Church thought it was painting an unfavourable light on Opus Dei)... Other ones I've read include Seven Ancient Wonders and Six Sacred Stones by Matthew Reilly (bloody good Aussie author)... Those two not only paint the Catholic Church in an unfavourable light, but Americans too...

They're all after the capstone cause it makes the perosn who puts it in place at the right time ends up being powerful for 1000 years...

The Americans try to get pieces of the capstone that sat on top of the pyramid at Giza and was hidden with each ancient wonderr, and can only find the other pieces by decoding a language called the word of thoth... and an oracle's child is the only one who can... It's the Americans vs the Europeans (the Vatican, France, Germany and Italy) vs Australia/Ireland/Jamaica/United Arab Emirates/Israel/Spain/New Zealand/Canada...

Guess who gets the power at the end of Seven Ancient Wonders? :naughty:

Hey ladies.

I've never heard of/seen it, but I promise you not all Catholics are bad people. I know one Catholic girl who is preeeetty awesome. And she likes Mika.:thumb_yello: And Queen.:thumb_yello: Yea she's one cool girl. :wink2:

Even though I struggle with my faith, I feel like God is leading me in the right direction, and I think I'm starting to trust Him more...

My personal opinion on is is that someone can be gay and still love God. As far as I'm concerned, being gay doesn't hurt anyone.

It's Darth Maul... he's the apprentice sith lord in Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace...

He's a Zabrak :naughty:...

I got a bit excitable whenI saw the movie cause he had a double edged light sabre, but wasn't happy when he died...

That's great. :thumb_yello: Trust is something I tend to struggle with a lot also. Why is it so hard? I just guess it's because you can't see Him..

I agree. :thumb_yello:

Haha, ah, I see. I've never seen any of those movies.

my youth group for highschoolers at my church starts again this week!

Awesome! Mine starts up again a week from today..I can't wait!

That's great. :thumb_yello: Trust is something I tend to struggle with a lot also. Why is it so hard? I just guess it's because you can't see Him..

I agree. :thumb_yello:

Haha, ah, I see. I've never seen any of those movies.

I think that's what it is... I try pretty hard to trust... I do know that HE won't ever do anything that will make me not trust him... it's more a little bit of trust, and I think I might need to build it up a bit more... if that makes any sort of sense at all!

Yeah, I'm a bit of a Science Fiction fan...

Oh mine is brilliant!!

Quentin is so nice! I love his sermons. Everyone is so nice. Cant wait til next week. we have scarecrows in the church because it is harvest week end. We also have a lunch after church.

I love the comminion the best.

Brainwashing comes to mind, if your faith and church are so wonderful, and you believe so much, why are you here, surely the word is, 'thou shalt not worship false gods', and I am sure this as much as any fan site has members who worship MIka and treat him like a god. example, how many members as soon as a new blog is released spread the word, and upon hearing the word rush off to check it out.

Imagine if email and internet were available during the time Jesus, and unemployed carpenter, was doing his stuff, no different than MFC, perhaps mika is the second coming, or is it Sam Sparro, or a well known sports personality, as Kevin Keegan is on merseyside and Newcastle, perhaps he is the coming and rebirth. Oh and Quentin is so wonderful I best not tell you what I think of wonderpreacher, oh he changed my life crap, you my friend are responsible for your life, so get a grip on reality and sort yourself out, instead of wanting to get help, you probably carry pics of Quentin in your wallet, he has no hotline to god, the church is using you to make money,

Yes I have beliefs, I live by good morals, as do my children, I must be bad and burn in hell, listen, I dont need saving, as long as I live honestly the church will survive without my help, o i think i need help, i will turn to god, jesus saves, dont worry ronaldo nets the rebound.

What about the sex scandals of the church, the profit making of the church,

churgoers are no different than MFC members, lots of gossip, supposedly doing good and helping others with no questions or reward, though in church, whichever faith you belong to there is always seperate cliques, so much for spreading the good word, more of spread the rumor.

and since you have taken the time to read this, guess what, I do not give a 5hit for your opinions.