Any Christians?

JoPerrin

I'm doing fine, Jess! Today I went to a tailgate with members of our young porfessionals church group. They are the same people that I'll be playing kickball with this fall. :)

how about you?

That sounds like fun! I really miss playing kickball, haha! That's really cute that you'll be playing it among your church community.

I haven't done much today, it's been raining all day, hah. I've just straightened up a bit, and later on I'm either going to my friend's house or my cousin and some friends are coming over here.

Have you ever heard of the game Apples To Apples?

EDIT:

Have fun shopping! :)

Hopefully I'll get to talk to you later. :wink2:

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Edit- If "I don't think they should bother" doesn't relate to whether people should go to Greenbelt, following Wealx' enquiry and my response, ignore this post. But I'm not deleting it, as the thread sure reads that way and I was genuinely hurt, and later posts (I think) relate to it

Do you have a reason for dissing Greenbelt? Or just prejudice?

I was there and would recommend it to anyone with a brain who loves Jesus. Or listening to folk music in the rain. (Although, if there are any UK young people out there making choices, I have a slight preference for Soul Survivor, which takes place about the same time.)

Note to both wealx and neeve- previous responses were meant to continue what I took to be friendly discussion, and in no way meant to dismiss others' opinions or actions.

Now, however, I'm annoyed. This thread is called "Any Christians", not "Only For Christians Who Think Exactly Like Nico Collard."

I have no reason to be dissing Greenbelt. I very much doubt I would be dissing a Chrstian music festival after I not long went to World Youth Day in Sydney, and enjoyed it thoroughly. That would make me a hypocrit. You would also know that I went to it if you'd read back through the thread (I actually wrote about my experiences). If you weren't 100% sure what I meant, you could have PMed me and asked me exactly what I meant, rather than assuming what I meant and taking offence. I don't write things on this forum to offend other people, and I try to make myself as clear as humanly possible. Obviously if I've offended people I should just not bother sharing my opinions.

I'm actually quite hurt that you think I'm prejudiced. You don't know anything about me and I would appreciate it if you got to know me before you make assumptions like that.

Also, I don't expect anyone to think exactly like me, nor do I force other people to believe what I believe. I don't force my beliefs or ideas on anyone else (even my thoughts about Mika, however negative). I'm possibly the most laid back person I know, and usually don't care what other people say about me or what I think. Then again, I shouldn't have to defend myself.

Oh, btw, I think nico_collard was saying that you shouldn't send a link to weealx, not that you shouldn't post a report here! (That's how I interpreted it anyway)

This is exactly what I meant.

I'm actually quite interested in your experiences.

Soaring Simpson, I have never heard about Greenbelt, so I glad that you have decided to come in here and tell us about it. I can only speak for myself, but I didn't think you were trying to dismiss others' opinions or actions. I have a feeling Nico Collard doesn't believe that either. Anyway...please feel free to share more of your experiences! I'd personally love to hear them, especially as I have never heard/been to a Greenbelt conference.

Thank you Amanda. I appreciate that you believe I wouldn't be like that (as in I wouldn't dismiss other people's opinions).

You would also know that I went to it if you'd read back through the thread (I actually wrote about my experiences). If you weren't 100% sure what I meant, you could have PMed me and asked me exactly what I meant, rather than assuming what I meant and taking offence. I don't write things on this forum to offend other people, and I try to make myself as clear as humanly possible. Obviously if I've offended people I should just not bother sharing my opinions.

Now who's jumping to conclusions? I have read the whole thread, I just don't assume that your liking one Christian Festival means automatically liking all others- which is more complimentary to you than the reverse, I think.

Did you all PM Wealx before calling his post crap? Your post was ambiguous, and was taken in the context of your extremely angry reply to Wealx which contained it, and the angry posts which preceded it. In fact, my post was possibly the mildest on there! I'm in two minds about PMing in such a situation anyway. If a post is ambiguous and the query is by PM it can make the thread very hard to follow for others.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you much more about Greenbelt than I already have, as I had a nasty virus the whole time I was there and spent the festival thinking "I can tell this is good but I wish I was in bed." It's one of the UKs biggest Christian festivals, about 15000 people for a 4 day weekend. Evangelican, but open with a large arts and politics content, and doesn't have the big mass worship sessions most other UK festivals do, instead it has a lot of smaller worship events throughout the day. Ironically, having been mildly miffed that at other festivals things like "drama" or "writing" invariably means rehashing a bible story, I found myself missing that ethos at Greenbelt. The festival started around the early eighties, but I gather I was unlucky to hit one with a seventies folk culture- it's different each year.

SEe you!

So how is everyone today?

I'm grand, :thumb_yello: how about you?

SS, Greenbelt sounds really interesting....I've never been to anything like that.

Also, I'm intrigued: how are you illiterate in smilies? :naughty:

Right, I need to walk the dogs, talk later!!

I'm grand, :thumb_yello: how about you?

SS, Greenbelt sounds really interesting....I've never been to anything like that.

Also, I'm intrigued: how are you illiterate in smilies? :naughty:

Right, I need to walk the dogs, talk later!!

If you get the chance, I'd go. Which is the opposite of what I actually did- people were telling me for years I'd enjoy festivals, right from my teens, but I was over 40 before I gave them a go!

As for smilies, I'm not a very visual person. Despite knowing they mean a lot to others, I don't even see the wretched things until I quote someone and see the words! I can just about remember to check them when I don't know whether someone's joking or not, and have even put in a few myself occasionally. But it's a genuine warning, if your post is full of smilies, I might not have seen them.

Wish I still had dogs!

If the post refers to me, then i will post my opinion, if this or any thread is for people who all share identical views, there would be no posts, except for "I agree"

look out for my weekly post or sermon, depending on the weather

Im going to have to respectfully agree on that, but as you can see from my post count, Im not all that experienced on the forum :bleh:

oh goodness it's been too long since i've been on MFC and this thread! Life just gets in the way:bleh:

I'm so excited because, well if anyone remembers [i doubt it:naughty:] i'd been trying to find a saint/icon bracelet, but had bad luck. The other day my friend was wearing one and i asked her where she got it, and she said she had a few, and i could have one:wub2:, anyways, so she said when you give someone that bracelet, they want the saint to watch over that person:wub2:, so i'm still on the hunt for those bracelets so i can hand some to my friends!:bleh:

Oh yes how is everyone?:naughty:

heyyy...has anyone here heard of a Purity Ring...I just got one and I love it..it really makes me feel like I am making the right decision about waiting to have sex...I know that this ring will give me the encouragement to wait...:naughty:

Hi all! :bye:

If you get the chance, I'd go. Which is the opposite of what I actually did- people were telling me for years I'd enjoy festivals, right from my teens, but I was over 40 before I gave them a go!

As for smilies, I'm not a very visual person. Despite knowing they mean a lot to others, I don't even see the wretched things until I quote someone and see the words! I can just about remember to check them when I don't know whether someone's joking or not, and have even put in a few myself occasionally. But it's a genuine warning, if your post is full of smilies, I might not have seen them.

Wish I still had dogs!

wow, that's really interesting!! I'll remember that :wink2:

oh goodness it's been too long since i've been on MFC and this thread! Life just gets in the way:bleh:

I'm so excited because, well if anyone remembers [i doubt it] i'd been trying to find a saint/icon bracelet, but had bad luck. The other day my friend was wearing one and i asked her where she got it, and she said she had a few, and i could have one:wub2:, anyways, so she said when you give someone that bracelet, they want the saint to watch over that person:wub2:, so i'm still on the hunt for those bracelets so i can hand some to my friends

Oh yes how is everyone?

That's cool!! It's really nice :wub2:

I can't stay, but Hey to everyone else who dropped by! :bye:

We had an answer to prayer today. My dad had a problem with our car and to make matters worse it was raining heavily. My mum prayed that the rain would stop and it did! WOW!

That's really neat!:bleh:Your mom should pray for these hurricanes to stop coming:naughty:

heyyy...has anyone here heard of a Purity Ring...I just got one and I love it..it really makes me feel like I am making the right decision about waiting to have sex...I know that this ring will give me the encouragement to wait...:naughty:

Oh i have heard of those before, i've never seen one though. It'd be a good thing to have especially when getting into a relationship, so the other person knows, because that's what I'm afraid of...the other persons intentions are farther than mine:blink:

Hi all!

wow, that's really interesting!! I'll remember that

That's cool!! It's really nice

I can't stay, but Hey to everyone else who dropped by!

hey:bye: oh i know i love it:wub2:

hmmm i was in the car and heard a song, something about 'give me your eyes' i think by Brandon? does anyone know what i'm talkin about:naughty:

That's really neat!:bleh:Your mom should pray for these hurricanes to stop coming:naughty:

hmmm i was in the car and heard a song, something about 'give me your eyes' i think by Brandon? does anyone know what i'm talkin about:naughty:

channel 5 has a prog on now called

who really killed jesus

next week is

mary magdelen - saint or sinner

I'm so excited because, well if anyone remembers [i doubt it] i'd been trying to find a saint/icon bracelet, but had bad luck. The other day my friend was wearing one and i asked her where she got it, and she said she had a few, and i could have one, anyways, so she said when you give someone that bracelet, they want the saint to watch over that person:wub2:, so i'm still on the hunt for those bracelets so i can hand some to my friends!:bleh:

Oh yes how is everyone?:naughty:

Hey, that's great! I'm glad you finally found one!

We had an answer to prayer today. My dad had a problem with our car and to make matters worse it was raining heavily. My mum prayed that the rain would stop and it did! WOW!

Haha, that's awesome. :D

Hey there!

Ooh, I have one also, but I'm sure yours is much prettier, mine is a little cheap, haha.

I think it's great that you made that decision. My friend and I were talking about purity rings today because she wants one but her mom thinks it's weird and wont let her get one. Strange, huh? I think it's an admirable symbol and a respectful decision. :thumb_yello:

Has anyone ever had their feet washed by someone? (As an act of humility and of imitating what Jesus did for his disciples?)

Yes, I've had my feet washed and I've also done it to others. To me, it feels a lot better doing it to others (kinda natural, but then I used to be a nurse) than to have it done to me (I hate that kind of attention). Maybe that's why I'm not really too big on the whole spa treatment thing! (Although I do like having a massage, but that's mostly cos my muscles ache so much of the time and a massage is pleasant torture that I know will make me feel better later.)

Personal reflection time is always so difficult for me. It gets frustrating! It seems like I'm always busy with something and never have time for it! And when I do, my mind is everywhere so it's hard for me to focus. :thumbdown:

Why do I feel like you've been to more states than I have?:lol3:

I've only been to states on the East Coast. :( Lets see..New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusettes, Maryland, and Florida. I really want to visit every state. Especially midwestern states. I want to see the Grand Canyon and all that beautiful land. Oh, and I'd love to travel up near the Great Lakes.

I've heard of someone who used to have the exact problem of his mind wandering elsewhere when he tried to have his quiet times and the way he solved it was to have his diary and a notebook with him also, as well as his Bible and devotional material. That way he could jot down the things that came up in his mind, and not have to worry about them anymore, knowing that he'd made a note of them and wouldn't forget them and could deal with them after he'd finished his quiet time.

I must say I'm envious of the amount you girls all seem to travel. I've been to all of the states and territories in Australia except two, but then there are only eight to begin with:roftl:

You guys should see my new rosary!

I went to Erie for a couple days back in August, and while I was there I went to an Italian festival one of the churches was having. (Italian is practically the only European nationality I'm not:naughty:)

Anyway, I was looking around at the stuff and I saw this rosary. OMGPRETTY!

it's like clear glass beads, but they look paint speckled inside. The crucifix and links are silver, and it's just so freakin' pretty.

I would have paid a ton for it, but it was like $6.:blink:

Oh i have heard of those before, i've never seen one though. It'd be a good thing to have especially when getting into a relationship, so the other person knows, because that's what I'm afraid of...the other persons intentions are farther than mine:blink:

I've never seen one either...

I think it's important to be honest with the other person if you're looking at getting into a relationship, because not everyone will know what the heck a purity ring is...

It's a pretty cool concept though...

naaaaa not for me , Ive watched all those prgrammes , they are too flawed for my liking.

They can be a bit one sided... I've seen a couple that are a bit one sided...

You guys should see my new rosary!

I went to Erie for a couple days back in August, and while I was there I went to an Italian festival one of the churches was having. (Italian is practically the only European nationality I'm not:naughty:)

Anyway, I was looking around at the stuff and I saw this rosary. OMGPRETTY!

it's like clear glass beads, but they look paint speckled inside. The crucifix and links are silver, and it's just so freakin' pretty.

I would have paid a ton for it, but it was like $6.:blink:

Wow! Sounds pretty!

Any chance you could take a picture adn show us?

Wow! Sounds pretty!

Any chance you could take a picture adn show us?

Sure, gimme a second.

Edit: gah, I can't right now. My camera's battery is dead and my picture phone won't take a good one of it.

Matthew 5:10-16 (The Message)

10"You're blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God's kingdom.

11-12"Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don't like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble.

13"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.

14-16"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

There's this woman at work who tips all the bussers at the end of the night. But one day I was wearing my patron saint charms and I was playing with them (y'know, when you pull the necklace out and run your finger back and forth? I do that.) and she saw it. She's a Seventh Day Adventist, and she hates Catholics. So she's sort of given me the cold shoulder ever since, and she won't tip me when I help her.

There's this woman at work who tips all the bussers at the end of the night. But one day I was wearing my patron saint charms and I was playing with them (y'know, when you pull the necklace out and run your finger back and forth? I do that.) and she saw it. She's a Seventh Day Adventist, and she hates Catholics. So she's sort of given me the cold shoulder ever since, and she won't tip me when I help her.

Call me naive - but I see no place in religion for hate!! :thumbdown:

Matthew 5:10-16 (The Message)

10"You're blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God's kingdom.

11-12"Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don't like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble.

13"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.

14-16"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

Thank you for that, lady. I needed it. I have missed seeing you in here! I hope you are well. :)

I also hope everyone else in here is doing fine these days.

I am a Christian, in fact I am a local lay preacher for the Methodist church. I've basically been a Christian all my life since I was lucky enough to be brought up in a Christian family. But we wern't church goers. However, when I grew up I decided to go to church, and apart from a gap when my son was very young, I've been going ever since. I find great strength and comfort in my faith, and Jesus has helped me through some difficult times with my health. I feel very lucky to have walked in faith all my life, and to have never felt alone.