Any Christians?

JoPerrin

Matthew 5:10-16 (The Message)

10"You're blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God's kingdom.

11-12"Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don't like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble.

13"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.

14-16"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

Thanks Liz :huglove:

There's this woman at work who tips all the bussers at the end of the night. But one day I was wearing my patron saint charms and I was playing with them (y'know, when you pull the necklace out and run your finger back and forth? I do that.) and she saw it. She's a Seventh Day Adventist, and she hates Catholics. So she's sort of given me the cold shoulder ever since, and she won't tip me when I help her.

She's a bit nasty...

I would say don't help her if she's going to be that mean, but that's not the best thing to do in your job... I reckon be overly nice... might really annoy her!

Oh, and I can't wait to see pics of your rosary... too bad about the camera though..

Call me naive - but I see no place in religion for hate!! :thumbdown:

I completely agree!

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Two young women new to the music scene (up & coming) are both speaking in these interviews about their Christian background.

One set of parents were travellng missionaries to the Philippines and Jamaica -

Lights:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1815296&postcount=13

The other set of parents are travelling ministers -

Katy Perry:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1528840&postcount=612

I am posting this, because I can relate to the challenges I face when I pursue things my mom finds "wordly" (even if I'm already in my late 30s) :naughty:.

---------------------

**EDIT** Here's an easier way to hear them - just scroll down to their names on the screen:

http://www.chumfm.com/podcast/mp3s/Interviews/interviews.xml

You guys should see my new rosary!

I went to Erie for a couple days back in August, and while I was there I went to an Italian festival one of the churches was having. (Italian is practically the only European nationality I'm not:naughty:)

Anyway, I was looking around at the stuff and I saw this rosary. OMGPRETTY!

it's like clear glass beads, but they look paint speckled inside. The crucifix and links are silver, and it's just so freakin' pretty.

I would have paid a ton for it, but it was like $6.:blink:

Wow! it's sounds so lovely! And do tell about the trip too, i must here more:bleh:

There's this woman at work who tips all the bussers at the end of the night. But one day I was wearing my patron saint charms and I was playing with them (y'know, when you pull the necklace out and run your finger back and forth? I do that.) and she saw it. She's a Seventh Day Adventist, and she hates Catholics. So she's sort of given me the cold shoulder ever since, and she won't tip me when I help her.

hmmm....well maybe it's like a challenge, to be the nicer person, i mean of course not like converting her or anything, everyone is allowed there own religion, but show her that a certain person doesn't make someone disagreeable:wink2:

I've never seen one either...

I think it's important to be honest with the other person if you're looking at getting into a relationship, because not everyone will know what the heck a purity ring is...

It's a pretty cool concept though...

Yea that's really true, purity rings can't do all the talkin for us!:naughty:

10"You're blessed when your commitment to God provokes persecution. The persecution drives you even deeper into God's kingdom.

11-12"Not only that—count yourselves blessed every time people put you down or throw you out or speak lies about you to discredit me. What it means is that the truth is too close for comfort and they are uncomfortable. You can be glad when that happens—give a cheer, even!—for though they don't like it, I do! And all heaven applauds. And know that you are in good company. My prophets and witnesses have always gotten into this kind of trouble.

13"Let me tell you why you are here. You're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth. If you lose your saltiness, how will people taste godliness? You've lost your usefulness and will end up in the garbage.

14-16"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand—shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven.

I love the line "you're here to be salt-seasoning that brings out the God-flavors of this earth." I can't really explain why though....

and "God is not a secret to be kept." instantly reminds me of the Newsboys song:wub2:

Hiya not bin in 4 ages.

Hey Jo, we've missed ya! :wink2:

Yes, I've had my feet washed and I've also done it to others. To me, it feels a lot better doing it to others (kinda natural, but then I used to be a nurse) than to have it done to me (I hate that kind of attention). Maybe that's why I'm not really too big on the whole spa treatment thing! (Although I do like having a massage, but that's mostly cos my muscles ache so much of the time and a massage is pleasant torture that I know will make me feel better later.)

I've heard of someone who used to have the exact problem of his mind wandering elsewhere when he tried to have his quiet times and the way he solved it was to have his diary and a notebook with him also, as well as his Bible and devotional material. That way he could jot down the things that came up in his mind, and not have to worry about them anymore, knowing that he'd made a note of them and wouldn't forget them and could deal with them after he'd finished his quiet time.

I must say I'm envious of the amount you girls all seem to travel. I've been to all of the states and territories in Australia except two, but then there are only eight to begin with

I've never washed another person's feet, but I imagine I'd like washing the feet of others than having my own washed.

That sounds like a really good idea! Thanks! I have to admit, ever since school started again, I feel like my prayer time has decreased, so I definitely have to be more self obedient when it comes time to setting prayer aside for God. As if a half hour or so to give up to God will kill me!

Haha, trust me, I don't get around much! The most travel I do is my annual retreat to Massachusetts! I'd love to travel when I'm out of school.

You guys should see my new rosary!

I went to Erie for a couple days back in August, and while I was there I went to an Italian festival one of the churches was having. (Italian is practically the only European nationality I'm not)

Anyway, I was looking around at the stuff and I saw this rosary. OMGPRETTY!

it's like clear glass beads, but they look paint speckled inside. The crucifix and links are silver, and it's just so freakin' pretty.

I would have paid a ton for it, but it was like $6.

It sounds really pretty!

Thanks for that, Liz. :D We've missed you in here!

Call me naive - but I see no place in religion for hate!! :thumbdown:

I agree wholeheartedly!

I am a Christian, in fact I am a local lay preacher for the Methodist church. I've basically been a Christian all my life since I was lucky enough to be brought up in a Christian family. But we wern't church goers. However, when I grew up I decided to go to church, and apart from a gap when my son was very young, I've been going ever since. I find great strength and comfort in my faith, and Jesus has helped me through some difficult times with my health. I feel very lucky to have walked in faith all my life, and to have never felt alone.

Hey Marilyn, thanks for sharing your lovely story. I agree, I feel very blessed to have had all these opportunities for spiritual growth presented to me, especially through my sister, she has been a tremendous help in the growing process of my faith.

Two young women new to the music scene (up & coming) are both speaking in these interviews about their Christian background.

One set of parents were travellng missionaries to the Philippines and Jamaica -

Lights:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1815296&postcount=13

The other set of parents are travelling ministers -

Katy Perry:

http://www.mikafanclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1528840&postcount=612

I am posting this, because I can relate to the challenges I face when I pursue things my mom finds "wordly" (even if I'm already in my late 30s)

---------------------

**EDIT** Here's an easier way to hear them - just scroll down to their names on the screen:

http://www.chumfm.com/podcast/mp3s/Interviews/interviews.xml

Thanks for the links, Suzy. I'm very interested to hear them, but I can't figure out how to get them to play, even through the more direct links! :blink: Sometimes I'm so technologically illiterate. :bleh:

So what has everyone been up to?

My church had it's annual carnival this weekend, so I've been "working" at the face painting table all weekend. haha

Maybe I'll post some pictures later. :)

Our church doesn't do cool stuff like carnivals. :(

I'm jealous, because my friend's church has an AMAZING block party a few months ago.

Gangsta priest doesn't plan any awesome events?! No way!

I should really do my homework..haha.

I was only planning on dropping by for a second, maybe I'll be back later Sarie!

Gangsta priest doesn't plan any awesome events?! No way!

I should really do my homework..haha.

I was only planning on dropping by for a second, maybe I'll be back later Sarie!

Au revoir, les enfant!

That sounds like a really good idea! Thanks! I have to admit, ever since school started again, I feel like my prayer time has decreased, so I definitely have to be more self obedient when it comes time to setting prayer aside for God. As if a half hour or so to give up to God will kill me!

I'm the opposite. :bleh:

I've been trying to pray pretty much every night, and I (personally) think that that combined with reading my scriptures for seminary is helping me to not be so stressed and have happier days. :wink2:

I@m really struggling with this. I pray every morning for a fairly short time (I leave the house real early) but find that in the evening by the time I've done all the things I have to do, even when only spending about 20 mins on here while watching the news, it's time to sleep before I get a chance to read the bible and pray again.

I'm the opposite. :bleh:

I've been trying to pray pretty much every night, and I (personally) think that that combined with reading my scriptures for seminary is helping me to not be so stressed and have happier days. :wink2:

I love to pray at night -a decade of the rosary- because it calms me and helps me sleep better.

I@m really struggling with this. I pray every morning for a fairly short time (I leave the house real early) but find that in the evening by the time I've done all the things I have to do, even when only spending about 20 mins on here while watching the news, it's time to sleep before I get a chance to read the bible and pray again.

Do you have time to read the bible in the morning? Or maybe try praying before getting ready to go to bed...like before getting changed or brushing your teeth:wink2:....i like to do it before i read for the night so i don't forget:bleh:

Just popping in to say hi girls :) .

I actually tried to post something here and it wouldn't let me and then my computer freaked out .... weird...

I hope you're all loving life.

RBSKY

Glad to see you in here, Liz! I hope life is going very well for you these days. *hugs*

Hillsong United: With Everything

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh0JuqUEqps

Thank you for sharing that. I love Hillsong United!

Hey everyone, I haven't been able to be here lately but I just wanted to say hi :bye: It's nice to see this thread busy :thumb_yello:

I hope you're all keeping well!!

Thanks for stopping in! I miss the lengthy chats that many of us used to have!

I used to have a similar problem....and up until a few months ago, I was strugging very much with finding time to read my Bible. Basically, I think the Lord made it aware to me that my priorities were seriously out of order. I would try reading my Bible before bed (in bed) and was always so tired that I never retained anything that I read. This bothered me so much that finally I decided enough was enough.

I began to read my Bible while listening to my favorite Christian music. I also decided to keep notes of what I read, so that I could refer back to what I read. This has helped immensely and I find myself looking forward to my Bible time! Maybe you should pray about what you need to do. I'm sure the Lord will help you if you ask Him.

If anyone has the chance, please listen to this song. I have found myself very convicted by these lyrics in a positive way. It's strange how lyrics can be so relateable. I'm sure many of the people in this topic can relate with Keith's message. It's amazing just how powerful the grace of Jesus truly is.

I have bolded the parts of the lyrics that struck a huge chord with me....

Lord, the feelings are not the same,

I guess I'm older, I guess I've changed.

And how I wish it had been explained, that as you're growing you must remember,

That nothing lasts, except the grace of God, by which I stand, in Jesus.

I know that I would surely fall away, except for grace, by which I'm saved.

Lord, I remember that special way,

I vowed to serve you, when it was brand new.

But like Peter, I can't even watch and pray, one hour with you,

And I bet, I could deny you too.

But nothing lasts, except the grace of God, by which I stand, in Jesus.

I'm sure that my whole life would waste away, except for grace, by which I'm saved.

I used to have a similar problem....and up until a few months ago, I was strugging very much with finding time to read my Bible. Basically, I think the Lord made it aware to me that my priorities were seriously out of order. I would try reading my Bible before bed (in bed) and was always so tired that I never retained anything that I read. This bothered me so much that finally I decided enough was enough.

I began to read my Bible while listening to my favorite Christian music. I also decided to keep notes of what I read, so that I could refer back to what I read. This has helped immensely and I find myself looking forward to my Bible time! Maybe you should pray about what you need to do. I'm sure the Lord will help you if you ask Him.

I have prayed about it, it's funny, the LOrd seems a lot less bothered by it than I am. I've been through a lot of depression and stuff (for some 30 years), and am being brought out of it so, when I pray about seeming to have less time for God, He seems to be saying that it's good that I'm able to do more, and getting into a new routine will sort itself out, so long as I want it to, which I do. I started quiet times some 35 years ago, when the Gideons gave out their bibles at school, and have stuck to it since, sometimes in depth and sometimes more lightly. So maybe it's a real message not to worry-(though still to stick at it)

If anyone has the chance, please listen to this song. I have found myself very convicted by these lyrics in a positive way. It's strange how lyrics can be so relateable. I'm sure many of the people in this topic can relate with Keith's message. It's amazing just how powerful the grace of Jesus truly is.

I have bolded the parts of the lyrics that struck a huge chord with me....

Lord, the feelings are not the same,

I guess I'm older, I guess I've changed.

And how I wish it had been explained, that as you're growing you must remember,

That nothing lasts, except the grace of God, by which I stand, in Jesus.

Lord, I remember that special way,

I vowed to serve you, when it was brand new.

But like Peter, I can't even watch and pray, one hour with you,

And I bet, I could deny you too.

I'm sure that my whole life would waste away, except for grace, by which I'm saved.

Thanks!

I always find the songs you listen to very interesting...

I tok from it that when you're younger (or something along those lines) it's a lot easier to believe and be faithful to God... but as you get older, it's a lot harder, and other influences can affect your relationship with God... God is the steadying influence in our lives, and we need to keep that in mind sometimes...

Does being a Christian determine who you decide to vote for in elections?

I wouldn't think so, but then again it might depend on what the candidates believe in and what they stand for... I personally don't look at what religious issues people bring up in politics, because a lot of the time they're using it to get a political advantage...

Did someone say you had to vote for a certain candidate because of your religion?

Did someone say you had to vote for a certain candidate because of your religion?

Nope! I was just curious if religion played a role in other peoples' choices. Not just for President or whatever, but like... senator, prime minister, what have you.

It does me. But I think that's mostly because I'm against abortion, and usually the candidate against abortion is Christian. So... yahhh.

Nope! I was just curious if religion played a role in other peoples' choices. Not just for President or whatever, but like... senator, prime minister, what have you.

It does me. But I think that's mostly because I'm against abortion, and usually the candidate against abortion is Christian. So... yahhh.

honestly abortion is one of the only reasons i choose a canidate for president. All other reasons are pretty irrelevant to me.:bleh:

But the religion of a canidate doesn't affect me one bit.

My Christian beliefs are a huge influence on the way I vote- and I think it's very important for Christians to vote for politicians who will act out what they believe to be Jesus' priorities. And while I'm against abortion, it's far from decisive (I don't think there is a serious anit-abortion party in the UK anyway) because to thousands of people dying in poverty our choice of government is vital and Jesus, living in a violent age, was very concerned how his followers treated the poor. (Note- I know that more than thousands are dying, I just believe that the choice Britons are actually given will only help or condemn thousands.) And human rights issues, and poverty relief issues abroad and at home have to be considered- which includes trying to puzzle out economic policy issues. Jesus spoke far more about money than sexual morality

It used to bother me that I'd pray over my vote as well as reading the manifestos and newspapers, and think I got an answer from God, while equally sincere friends were doing the same and getting a different answer, but it doesn't now, I guess I believe that God doesn't WANT all Christians voting the same way.

It's the policies that interest me though, not the faith of the candidate.

is our thread gonna get closed because of the new guidelines?

maybe the next one should be "the fish thread"

after all the fish IS the secret sign of the christians...

QUOTE FROM NEW FORUM RULES

Relating to this, avoid spreading propaganda of any organizations, movements,

religions or political parties. This includes using avatars and signatures,

other symbols, texts and links to websites, to advertise principles related to

such groups.