daisylou

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you that have BBC2, Russell’s documentary On The Road, made in homage to Jack Kerouac will be shown on Sunday night at 10:45pm. Reallyy loved this, it’s definitely worth watching! :)

Oh yay!

I've seen this already but only on a small youtube screen, will be nice seeing Russy in all his glory on tv.

I'll definitely be watching! :mf_rosetinted:

How many of us in this thread admitted to watching it solely to see Russell? :naughty:

And how many Americans do you know that have any inkling of who Russell Brand is?:naughty:

And how many Americans do you know that have any inkling of who Russell Brand is?:naughty:

Loads actually! Especially after all those appearances he's been making on those chat shows. And for those who were still wondering who the hell he was, what better reason for them to tune in and see what he's about! :wink2:

i think he was so fantastic on the "MTV Music Video Awards" although he did offend some of the guests,

i think its nobodys fault though because the Americans dont get the British humour :punk:

oh well:wink2:

did anybody else watch the awards?

This very nice person has the video from last night!

http://www.youtube.com/user/rock3rgyrl

Thanks you so much for posting this link!:thumb_yello:

I didn't even know about this talkshow but I liked it and will surely keep an eye on it in the future.

Russell Brand...just love him!:wub2:

He's funny, smart, interesting to listen to and a very fast thinker!

I really loved this article on Russell, reminds me why I love him!

Sharon Owens: Why real deal Russell Brand gets my vote in fake, plastic La La Land

Wednesday, 10 September 2008

Love him or loathe him, stand-up comic (turned TV-presenter and now actor) Russell Brand is the real deal.

He’s just presented the MTV awards in America. It wouldn’t surprise me if they didn’t know what to make of him. Because everything in La La Land is plastic and fake, and everybody is so nice and polite, and nobody ever does anything naughty or lewd. At least not in front of the cameras ?

I don’t mind admitting I’ve rather enjoyed Russell Brand’s subversive antics over the years. Even when he was a fledgling star on Big Brother’s Big Mouth and I didn’t know who or what he was talking about (I never watched the Big Brother show itself) I still laughed my head off. For Russell managed to send up the entire concept of Big Brother, and its lowbrow audience, while pottering seemingly innocently about on-set, clad in his trademark skinny jeans and bird’s nest hair.

Sure, we’ve had plenty of shock-jocks in British radio and telly over the years. Over-rated playground bullies who dish out dog’s abuse to their hapless punters. But it’s all for show, really, isn’t it? And then these by-the-book bullies go home to their s****y houses in Chelsea or their mums’ home cooking in Surbiton.

But Russell? Well, Russell makes no bones about his drug-addict past. Or the fact that he can’t resist a pretty girl. Any pretty girl who’ll give him the time of day. And what’s wrong with that? He’s not a married man, he’s not a father, and he’s definitely not making any promises to anyone of love and marriage. So ladies, it’s buyer beware if you decide to spend the evening with the six foot one Lothario ...

I just hope he makes it out of the US in one piece after calling President Bush a “retarded cowboy” at the MTV awards. Apparently he had a go at professional virgins the Jonas Brothers too. But somebody made him publicly apologise for what he said about promise rings. Spoilsports! What’s normal or natural about three brothers who live together in a Disney-style palace, and go about dangling their virginity in the faces of teen-America? (So to speak.)

Anyway, I admire Russell Brand on several levels. He might not be good husband material, but then again he’s no hypocrite either. He was the only thing worth watching on Big Brother. He’s not afraid to come right out and say what everybody else is thinking. And he’s kept his figure, when most other men in the UK have decided to let it all hang out in trackie bottoms and a footie top. He’s still wearing studded belts and bracelets, and pointy-toed boots, at 33 years of age. And you’ve got to admit, he knows his English literature more than most. Oh, and he’s a big fan of Morrissey as well, which is a sign of huge intelligence in my book.

Speaking of books, I haven’t had time to read Russell’s recently published memoirs, My Booky-Wook, yet but I’ll get round to it pretty soon. I’m sure it’ll be peppered with his ****-style observations on life and quite a lot of naughty anecdotes. Yes, the Essex-boy with the twinkle in his eye does get on the nerves of a lot of people. I know that. But at the end of the day, he’s a great British eccentric in the mould of Malcolm McLaren, Vivienne Westwood, Johnny Lydon and, of course, Morrissey. He’s the last gasp of the Punk movement. The fly in the ointment of heavily-scripted TV-glitz.

I’d hate to see the western media being completely over-run with fake-tanned robots with big white veneers from ear to ear. And I hate seeing our pampered celebs being grovelled to by everyone from fawning TV-presenters to humble cleaning staff. So even if Russell goes too far at times (and he definitely does overstep the mark on a regular basis) at least you know he won’t give the divas of this world an easy ride. And at least he doesn’t go around pretending he’s a good boy while secretly bedding dozens of women like so many other famous personalities have done over the years.

So in this new age of political correctness gone mad, I’m glad there’s still somebody out there who’s prepared to say what he likes. And wear what he likes. And stir things up a little bit on MTV. We need to retain the shock factor. And the Americans need to retain the shock factor. Otherwise they’ll be giving the Taliban a run for their money in terms of suppressing the right to Free Speech.

So, I say, Go Russell! Just try to stay on the right side of the law this time, ok?

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/sharon-owens-why-real-deal-russell-brand-gets-my-vote-in-fake-plastic-la-la-land-13967993.html

:)

For those of you that have BBC2, Russell’s documentary On The Road, made in homage to Jack Kerouac will be shown on Sunday night at 10:45pm. Reallyy loved this, it’s definitely worth watching! :)

Sorry guys, this has been taken off the schedule and they are showing some dumb racing thing now :thumbdown: They better reschedule it!!

Um...

This is a message to all the russel Brand MFCers I've talked to about him...

I've been seeing Russel Brand around a bit, mainly the VMA's and to begin with I think I dismissed him somewhat when you mentioned him but now I'm not quite so sure ;)

He is really funny, whitty, charming and quite asthetically pleasing if I must say :P

So I'm sorry I doubted you all, you were obviously right!

xxx

Um...

I've been seeing Russel Brand around a bit, mainly the VMA's and to begin with I think I dismissed him somewhat when you mentioned him but now I'm not quite so sure ;)

He is really funny, whitty, charming and quite asthetically pleasing if I must say :P

xxx

Aw no worries Lyonesse:thumb_yello: It's only a matter of time before everyone succumbs to his charm :naughty: Glad to have you on board :naughty:

Um...

xxx

YAY!!!! :naughty:

Um...

xxx

Don´t doubt our word anymore!! :wink2:

Girls, i´m so so :wub2: of these pics, specially this one

n8.jpg

I want him to forget the backcombing!

The rest are on Russell´s LJ community.

thanks!!! me too

:naughty: where is it from again?

Don´t doubt our word anymore!! :wink2:

Girls, i´m so so :wub2: of these pics, specially this one

n8.jpg

I want him to forget the backcombing!

The rest are on Russell´s LJ community.

Beautilful :wub2:

I have to say I love the backcombing too though, but it's gorgeous both ways!

• 2 weeks later...