GULF NEWS: Review of Mika's Performance in Dubai

Sou

MIKA MANIA

By Kelly Crane, Staff Reporter

GULF NEWS UAE: Published: October 28, 2007, 23:03

Seeing Mika at the top of the bill on day two of the Desert Rhythm Festival understandably raised questions about his

popularity over singers such as Joss Stone.

But it turns out the organisers had it all sewn up and the decision was in fact the right one.

Blow-up dolls

Kanye West got the screams and shouts, as you'd expect, and Stone had people singing and dancing along. But Mika - well, he entertained.

From giant blow-up dolls and pigs, to crocodile, duck and rabbit costumes, his crew certainly knew how to throw a party on stage.

He may have refused interviews and press conferences, due to an international ban he has going on, but what we didn't get to ask him he definitely made up for when he burst onto the stage from a giant blue bubble complete with wings and a white shirt-trouser combo.

And not only that but, born in Lebanon, he tried his hardest to remember as much Arabic as possible in a bid to communicate with his non-English speaking fans.

People of all ages rushed as near to the stage as possible to catch a glimpse of the showman. All the favourites made an

appearance including Big Girls, Love Today and Grace Kelly, which had the audience going wild.

Mika rose to fame around the end of 2006 and was trained by Alla Ardakov (Ablaberdyeva), a Russian opera professional.

He knows how to entertain, maybe due to the fact his public performances vary from classical performances at the Royal Opera House, writing in-flight music for British Airways and creating an Orbit chewing gum jingle.

Vocal range

But it's his rumoured-to-be five octave vocal range which seems to really win him points.

Mika is the first performer I have seen in a while who really looks like he is having fun on stage. He embraces every minute of his show and seems to almost feed off the audience for inspiration.

Jumping from front-of-stage microphone songs to tunes while seated at his piano, he literally ran everywhere for the entire performance.

The girls had their way as the singer whipped off his top before bounding back on stage to join his female drummer for a dustbin "drum-off".

Flowers of all colours were hanging from pretty much every microphone stand, amp and piece of equipment in sight, exuding a feeling of fun.

Suffice to say, Mika will always be welcome to return to the UAE - people loved him.

It's great to know that they loved him in the UAE, it's hard not to! I just don't understand what the 'international ban' is. Why does he have one? Why has it stopped him from interviews and press conferences, and why doesn't it apply when he's in other countries?!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thx for sharing the review, sou!

Mika is the first performer I have seen in a while who really looks like he is having fun on stage. He embraces every minute of his show and seems to almost feed off the audience for inspiration. how true.. :thumb_yello:

It's great to know that they loved him in the UAE, it's hard not to! I just don't understand what the 'international ban' is. Why does he have one? Why has it stopped him from interviews and press conferences, and why doesn't it apply when he's in other countries?!

thx for posting Sou:wink2:

i was wondering the same:blink:

maybe he signed with an arabic channel for an exclisive interview, report or something...:blink:

He may have refused interviews and press conferences, due to an international ban he has going on, but what we didn't get to ask him he definitely made up for when he burst onto the stage from a giant blue bubble complete with wings and a white shirt-trouser combo.

Wtf? *thinks* What's meant by "international ban" -? Didn't he just give an interview to that French TV station?

I'm stumped. Unless it has something to do with that other Mika? How peculiar...

[quote name='Sou;769621

It's great to know that they loved him in the UAE' date=' it's hard not to! I just don't understand what the 'international ban' is. [i']Why[/i] does he have one? Why has it stopped him from interviews and press conferences, and why doesn't it apply when he's in other countries?!

Good question!! I was wondering what that meant too!!

Great article!! Thanks for posting!!

Thanks for the article, it's very positive, and I'm really happy about that!

I think that the "ban" they speak about is possibly just misinformation, in the same way that they got other facts wrong (him writing the BA inflight music, or the jingles, or still performing at the Royal Opera house)...I know that

they are not massive mistakes but still, it could all be related.

No?

I personally don't think that it makes much sense that he has such ban, and even more, if it was there, wouldn't we know?:boxed: So IMO it's just misinformation on the part of the writer.

Thanks for the article, it's very positive, and I'm really happy about that!

I think that the "ban" they speak about is possibly just misinformation, in the same way that they got other facts wrong (him writing the BA inflight music, or the jingles, or still performing at the Royal Opera house)...I know that

No?

I personally don't think that it makes much sense that he has such ban, and even more, if it was there, wouldn't we know?:boxed: So IMO it's just misinformation on the part of the writer.

maybe here "international" means "regional" more, a ban for the Middle East only... because he lately made several interviews in France.

there's a lot of competition between the arabic tv channels....so I won't be surprised if he gives the exclusivity to one of them like LBCI, Mellody Hits or MBC...

Romis, he performed in Dubai Oct 27th, and yeah they love him here in Kuwait :)

maybe here "international" means "regional" more, a ban for the Middle East only... because he lately made several interviews in France.

there's a lot of competition between the arabic tv channels....so I won't be surprised if he gives the exclusivity to one of them like LBCI, Mellody Hits or MBC...

Hmm, good theory. Maybe Melody Hits snatched him up! (I HOPE!!!!!!!!) But if your theory isn't what happened...then again, why the ban?! He's been interviewed in other countries.

It is nice to wake up today and see a post from Sou!!! And a good write-up it is, too.

But Mika did write inflight music and jingles....

I wonder if finally someone asked something so offensive in an interview he did a Sarkozy (who walked out of a US interview....)

It is nice to wake up today and see a post from Sou!!! And a good write-up it is, too.

But Mika did write inflight music and jingles....

I wonder if finally someone asked something so offensive in an interview he did a Sarkozy (who walked out of a US interview....)

i thought he only sung them, not performed them

thx for sharing the review, sou!

Mika is the first performer I have seen in a while who really looks like he is having fun on stage. He embraces every minute of his show and seems to almost feed off the audience for inspiration. how true.. :thumb_yello:

That's really the reason I love to see his shows and every performance of Mika!!

Thanks for sharing the news!!:punk: