Calm Down With The Projects! (Maybe?)

Sivan

Should we calm down with the projects?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should we calm down with the projects?

• Stop with the projects!
    • dont stop but calm it down a bit...
    • Lets do as many projects as possible!!!

:blink:

I honestly believe that a hell of a lot of a big deal has been made out of nothing. Come on people, this is like a debate on giving a CELEBRITY GIFTS. It's NOT that big of a deal. If Mika's getting personally annoyed by receiving them, and I definitely don't think that he is, then whatever. I don't think that not doing projects is going to be doing a great service to him. No one's FORCING him to read anything. If he doesn't want to read it, he can be my guest and toss it.

What's with all the talk about him not having room in his flat? Like I said, if he doesn't want it, no one's making him keep it. I highly doubt that he keeps every little thing given to him. No offense to anyone, but what is a 24 year old man going to do with 200+ stuffed animals?

He is a big boy. I think he'll survive getting presents.

It's not an inconvenience to him to get them. I mean, come on, there's a lot worse that he could receive than books and gifts that people took a hell of a long time to make, simply because they appreciate him and want him to know it. :blink: Don't baby him. He's a person just like all of us, not some fragile object that is going to lose sleep over getting a freaking book from his fans. He's not a controllable robot. If he doesn't want to read/look at/listen to something, he won't. It's as easy as that. If he wants to lay on the couch and watch Hollyoaks and be a normal person for a bit instead of slaving over reading letters all at once, he can do it, and he WILL do it. I think the idea behind it is what is important, not whether he actually obsesses over the thing. He DOES appreciate his gifts, and no one can truthfully say any different. He KNOWS how much work goes into the stuff that he receives and he KNOWS that it is a sentiment of love.

I just think everyone needs to calm down and step back a bit. Mika IS a person with his own free will. Don't worry, doing a project for him is not going to send him off crying. Of course he's not comfortable with it, but I don't think he's comfortable with his celebrity status in the first place. He's not used to it. He's a young man, pretty much just out in the "real world" and is being hit with celebrity and what goes along with it all at once, but he's young, he's able. He's not going to die over a book of paper with letters from fans.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading pretty much all of this thread, i can't help but say this.

Actually, i think Mika might even be happy if we all didn't spend so much of our time on this forum and just enjoyed our lives with his music(its all about the music) in general, but thats just my opinion. :mf_rosetinted:

I kind of agree with you Cynthia; to a cetain point. In my case, I met MIKA already but FOR ME; I just told him how much I love his music and didn't give him any type of gift. He gave me his autograph but I felt weird because I didn't give him anything in return. I am going to two shows this time (thank GOD) and I wanted to give him a small bear dressed just like him. If I have the opportunity to meet him again, I want to ask him for a hug but at the same time I want to give him something in return. I am so confused right now.:blink:

I honestly believe that a hell of a lot of a big deal has been made out of nothing. Come on people, this is like a debate on giving a CELEBRITY GIFTS. It's NOT that big of a deal. If Mika's getting personally annoyed by receiving them, and I definitely don't think that he is, then whatever. I don't think that not doing projects is going to be doing a great service to him. No one's FORCING him to read anything. If he doesn't want to read it, he can be my guest and toss it.

What's with all the talk about him not having room in his flat? Like I said, if he doesn't want it, no one's making him keep it. I highly doubt that he keeps every little thing given to him. No offense to anyone, but what is a 24 year old man going to do with 200+ stuffed animals?

It's not an inconvenience to him to get them. I mean, come on, there's a lot worse that he could receive than books and gifts that people took a hell of a long time to make, simply because they appreciate him and want him to know it. :blink: Don't baby him. He's a person just like all of us, not some fragile object that is going to lose sleep over getting a freaking book from his fans. He's not a controllable robot. If he doesn't want to read/look at/listen to something, he won't. It's as easy as that. If he wants to lay on the couch and watch Hollyoaks and be a normal person for a bit instead of slaving over reading letters all at once, he can do it, and he WILL do it. I think the idea behind it is what is important, not whether he actually obsesses over the thing. He DOES appreciate his gifts, and no one can truthfully say any different. He KNOWS how much work goes into the stuff that he receives and he KNOWS that it is a sentiment of love.

I just think everyone needs to calm down and step back a bit. Mika IS a person with his own free will. Don't worry, doing a project for him is not going to send him off crying. Of course he's not comfortable with it, but I don't think he's comfortable with his celebrity status in the first place. He's not used to it. He's a young man, pretty much just out in the "real world" and is being hit with celebrity and what goes along with it all at once, but he's young, he's able. He's not going to die over a book of paper with letters from fans.

Are you annoyed by this subject? :naughty:

Funny, i believe that more than half the information talked about on the MFC dealing with Mika, unless proven otherwise, is hypothetical(correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean our chatter about Mika - will the curls come back or are they gone for good, what will the next album sound like - etc? If so, of course that's all speculation. That's just harmless chatter.

What I don't understand is the notion that we should speculate that Mika is made unhappy by or burdened by our projects, and that we should just put an end to them all, based on that notion.

Hence the part where i mentioned that I'm sure Mika is aware after all of these projects mentioned above, that we appreciate him. So you've only helped me prove my point about not needing to make a fuss over more projects for his appreciation.

So your position is that after all the adoration he was shown in '07, he must know we appreciate him - and that since he clearly knows how we feel, we should just stop?

I can't agree with that. As time passes, access to Mika will become more limited, and it will be harder to find fresh ideas - but that doesn't mean we should just stop, period. I think it just means we shouldn't bombard him with an endless stream of repetitive gifts. It also means we need to adjust our expectations. We won't have easy access to give him these things, and if we do happen to get the chance, we can't expect him to gush and dance over every single gift.

That said, I don't think there's anything wrong with reaffirming and continuing to show how appreciated he is, as long as it's kept to a reasonable level. Even if he already knows.

Look him up in the phonebook and buy the house next to his.

EnFa, I believe you've just started the next project! What's a house in his neigbourhood worth, anyhow? I'm sure if all 7,000 MFCers pitched in, we could do it...:naughty:

PS: Was it you that said a while back, before this thread even began, that the next project should be a dumpster for him to toss all our crap in? Whoever said that is a genius. :biggrin2:

:naughty:

Well he honestly told you he'd take the pants and add to his gift pile, didn't he?

I voted the last one. Fans make gifts, stars deal with the storage, ok? :sneaky2:

He did. But that wasn't a gift. I took my hat of, and played with it. Then I just asked if he didn't want them. They "are nice" I said. Not my fault.

I mean, come on, there's a lot worse that he could receive than books and gifts that people .

Ohhhhhh yeah :das:

Haha, good one! :biggrin2:

No, not really. I have my opinion on it, which I stated last night in the earlier pages of the thread. I just think it's gotten almost ridiculous. I don't understand why people are freaking out about the "inconvenience" of giving him presents. It's not a big deal. I get crap that I don't want for Christmas from my kooky aunt, but that doesn't mean that I go all mental about it. I appreciate the gesture and the fact that she took the time to knit me disgusting scarves, but do I wear them? No. They rot in my closet until I find someone that wants them, or I give them away at clothing drives. I know how much love and care went into it, but that doesn't mean that I obsess over it.

EnFa, I believe you've just started the next project! What's a house in his neigbourhood worth, anyhow? I'm sure if all 7,000 MFCers pitched in, we could do it...:naughty:

PS: Was it you that said a while back, before this thread even began, that the next project should be a dumpster for him to toss all our crap in? Whoever said that is a genius. :biggrin2:

I've actually been wondering about the whole phonebook thing quite a lot. Seriously. I once called a celebrity, pretended I'd got the wrong number and said "Im sorry". That was cool. I mean, Im sure if you look in the 2006/2007 phonebook, you'll be able to look up Mika and his band. I'd done it :mf_rosetinted: Not.

I vote for that too.

... Christmas from my kooky aunt, but that doesn't mean that I go all mental about it. I appreciate the gesture and the fact that she took the time to knit me disgusting scarves, but do I wear them? No. They rot in my closet until I find someone that wants them...

I'd like them. I cannot get enough of those knitted scarfs. Im serious.

Around £3 million :bleh:

Bah, that's pocket change! Let's get right on it. :punk:

I get crap that I don't want for Christmas from my kooky aunt, but that doesn't mean that I go all mental about it. I appreciate the gesture and the fact that she took the time to knit me disgusting scarves, but do I wear them? No. They rot in my closet until I find someone that wants them, or I give them away at clothing drives.

Hey, at least we can take comfort in the fact that Mika doesn't have to do any Christmas shopping this year - he can just re-gift all the random stuff we've given him in '07!

:roftl:

No, not really. I have my opinion on it, which I stated last night in the earlier pages of the thread. I just think it's gotten almost ridiculous. I don't understand why people are freaking out about the "inconvenience" of giving him presents. It's not a big deal. I get crap that I don't want for Christmas from my kooky aunt, but that doesn't mean that I go all mental about it. I appreciate the gesture and the fact that she took the time to knit me disgusting scarves, but do I wear them? No. They rot in my closet until I find someone that wants them, or I give them away at clothing drives. I know how much love and care went into it, but that doesn't mean that I obsess over it.

I completely get what you are saying...but, not everyone finds it so easy to give things away.

Some people are just obsessive and pathological hoarders, and others just very very sentimental and would feel bad about giving ANYTHING away that has been given to them as a gift..

I'm not saying that is right, or even normal (both apply to me and it bugs the heck out of me, but I can't help it :roftl: ) but perhaps - speculation again - Mika is like that? We don't know. If so, there is clearly a storage crisis looming, it's deff time for the Skip in Cartoon Motion project :naughty:

Tis the season to be jolly-and-give-mika-stuff :fisch:

I dont think i can really say that gifts for mika should be reduced or whatever, since i just gave him a big ol' quilt, but i think the group projects escpecially should stay, they take longer to plan, so its not like he'd get it all at once, and it involves more people, so john wouldnt have as much to carry, it'd just be bigger xD

maybe two proyects in the year...

e.g. one near summer, one at the end of the year in curse (we've done like 6 this year, not counting the threads I don't read!!)

as much, three...but the main projects, being 2 or 3, they have to be participative. Like the Yearbook, I couldn't be in in that project, but I liked the fact that every country was there.

If it's more organizated, we could contact our country reps to decide what to put into each project and make it good...

This thread is just beyond ridiculous. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Also, I wonder about the original motivation why it was created.

I mean after so many months on here you kinda get used to reading discussions about topics normal people wouldn't waste a thought to. It's scary. Why does everybody rack their brain over that now? Seriously, he is not a toddler or a baby or that labile that he cannot deal with... gifts. :blink:

I find it even odd to write something like that. Everybody loves presents.

Like Hannah, I have difficulty to imagine him sitting in his flat crying over the loads of presents he's unable to handle. Really. If he was such an undecided person and unable to choose what to do or not to do with all the stuff he wouldn't be where he is today.

It's not that much of a problem to get rid of surplus plushes or ugly drawings if you don't want them. We all do it, everyday. And even if some of it finds its end in the dustbin I'm still sure the gesture is appreciated.

This thread is just beyond ridiculous. I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Also, I wonder about the original motivation why it was created.

I mean after so many months on here you kinda get used to reading discussions about topics normal people wouldn't waste a thought to. It's scary. Why does everybody rack their brain over that now? Seriously, he is not a toddler or a baby or that labile that he cannot deal with... gifts. :blink:

I find it even odd to write something like that. Everybody loves presents.

Like Hannah, I have difficulty to imagine him sitting in his flat crying over the loads of presents he's unable to handle. Really. If he was such an undecided person and unable to choose what to do or not to do with all the stuff he wouldn't be where he is today.

It's not that much of a problem to get rid of surplus plushes or ugly drawings if you don't want them. We all do it, everyday. And even if some of it finds its end in the dustbin I'm still sure the gesture is appreciated.

i have a feeling people took this thread to seriously.... :boxed:

Mika's like a little virgin lamb. We have to save him from the world. Then eat him.

I think it's funny. If you want to give him a pink candle light that says Patrick Wolf, then just do it. No one can stop you (and if they try you just start to scream for help)

I was meaning generally everything is speculation expect a few things and I'm not saying thats bad, its apart of the fun, but your statement didn't make any sense. "I'm not interested in speculation..." It just doesn't seem to fit here.

No, i wasn't saying that we should stop for good, but for awhile.

I didn't say "Im not interested in speculation". I said "I can safely say that 'hypothetical' information isn't important to me" and I meant that in the context of not altering what I do based on hypothetical information.

I have difficulty to imagine him sitting in his flat crying over the loads of presents he's unable to handle.

I don't think the issue is us giving Mika a nervous breakdown with our gifts - its more of a concern that the line may be near where it crosses over from sweet to annoying. I think the issue is that some people are concerned, correctly or not, that it's getting to the point where Mika and his entourage are like "For heaven's sake, not another MFC project!"

Another thought to keep in mind is that there are only 7,000 or so people on here, and only a fraction of whom are regular posters. Whatever action we choose to take is fine, but we're only a small part of his fan base. Other non-MFCers will still give gifts, will still seek hugs and pics and autographs. I may be biased, but I think the community aspect of this place allows the gifts to be more meaningful - when many people from all over contribute, rather than just one person giving, say, any random plush toy off a Wal-Mart shelf.

An annual gift sounds like a much better idea. But I wonder if Mika would think "Hang on. Where is everyone? AND WHERE ARE MY PRESENTS? LOL.

As you already know, I totally agree on this.

I think an annual yearbook thing that is bound and easy to store is sufficient. Mika is already getting individual gifts by the truckload and doesn't need more massive projects.

If it's not consumable, wearable or disposable it's going to be overwhelming soon if it's not already. He lives in a London flat, not a Hollywood mansion, and can't keep all this stuff forever.

I also think the pressure involved both in giving the projects and Mika receiving them has begun to defeat the purpose. There was a note of obligation evident in his thank you to MFC for the birthday gift and he shouldn't have to feel obligated to accept things from anyone. Suzy, for example, also felt pressured to get him his gift under particular circumstances and others were extremely disappointed when they weren't as successful.

If we focus all our efforts on one annual project it will mean that everyone can participate because they won't be confused about what project is happening when. It will probably be a lot easier to set up a meeting with Mika rather than having to hunt him down and hope for the best every month or two.

people, we can make projects without annoying Mika...perhaps big important ones but a few of them, instead of a million of little presents, it may work, or not, but we can think about it for the 2008 projects. we can comunicate our ideas, I hope. And I don't think he's much upset with us...do you really think that?

Well, if it was meant to be a joke, water under the bridge.

I didn't understand it anyway.

its not a joke... but i think u guys totaly didnt understand what i was trying to say :(

im the LAST person to say "DONT GIVE MIKA GIFTS"

i think its great people are making things for him...and amazing ones!

i just thought maybe a bit less projects will be better cause than he will eppreciate it more...

it was JUST a thought.... no one should listen to me...