Calm Down With The Projects! (Maybe?)

Sivan

Should we calm down with the projects?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Should we calm down with the projects?

• Stop with the projects!
    • dont stop but calm it down a bit...
    • Lets do as many projects as possible!!!

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people should look at it objectively whether they've given Mika things in the past or not. If people find that giving Mika gifts is all about making themselves feel good then perhaps they should reconsider their motives.

I think that's why this whole discussion began. We should talk about slowing down all these projects to less than the 2007 pace so that it never gets to that point.

The gifts should be special and relatively rare or they will become devalued. We can wax poetic about how Mika would and could value anything and everything regardless of quantity but the laws of economics and human nature dictate otherwise.

First of all, "thank you" Sivan for starting this thread - you are brave, considering that you are one of the high profile members who has had the many opportunities to give Mika gifts, and therefore, risked sounding hypocritical (ha ha, especially when your new thread about the necklace is on the board too!)

But it is NOT HYPOCRITICAL of you because I KNOW the situation and circumstances are VERY DIFFERENT and I UNDERSTAND IT WELL (I've been a member here since January and have been through the whole excitement of projects).

BTW- we all forgot the TARTAN TROUSERS in the previous list of 2007 projects! How dare you!:roftl:

The challenge we have at the MFC, as mentioned before by Blue Sky et. al is the fact that we have NEW MEMBERS coming on board.

We cannot expect that what we tell them will register in their minds much more strongly than their desire to want to be part of the gift-giving magic.

New members, (or perhaps even MFCers who've been here a long time, but have never experienced seeing Mika yet) will probably have to go through the same motions as we did, to come to the realization that it is difficult to expect to capture the same excitement that Mika had for his early gifts (Scrapbook, Tartan Trousers, Birthday, etc) in his first year as a pop star in 2007.

I believe that the intent of this thread is not to stop anyone who wants to give Mika gifts.

It serves to help us give some serious thought and consideration to the reality that it might not be as magical as the very first Scrapbook project that he received from his fans (which I regretfully, was not a part of).

Remember - we all have a choice anyway as to whether we want to be involved. But if you are the starter of such a project - do not be offended when other members may choose not to participate.

I have to consider myself very lucky to have had the opportunity to give him the yearbook personally. Yes, its true - that it seemed to have worked out perfectly in the end (despite his lack of speech). But I would have been very disappointed and perhaps even bitter had it not worked out, after going through quite a bit of harassing and stress - this is the reality that happened to a few that I witnessed on the Dec 3rd and Dec 4th cancellations.

We just need to be realistic for 2008. It will work for smaller venues. There's a slimmer possibility for larger venues (but good on you if you make it happen!) Mika might make himself more accessible to fans of countries he has had little or no exposure to yet. :thumb_yello:

Oh - forgot to add:

BonjourMika and lollipop_monkey - HE THOUGHT THE YEARBOOK WAS AMAAAZING - despite what you interpret on the video. This message was passed on to me persoanlly, by Andy his camerman and his tour manager, John.:thumb_yello::biggrin2::punk:

First of all, "thank you" Sivan for starting this thread - you are brave, considering that you are one of the high profile members who has had the many opportunities to give Mika gifts, and therefore, risked sounding hypocritical (ha ha, especially when your new thread about the necklace is on the board too!)

But it is NOT HYPOCRITICAL of you because I KNOW the situation and circumstances are VERY DIFFERENT and I UNDERSTAND IT WELL (I've been a member here since January and have been through the whole excitement of projects).

BTW- we all forgot the TARTAN TROUSERS in the previous list of 2007 projects! How dare you!:roftl:

The challenge we have at the MFC, as mentioned before by Blue Sky et. al is the fact that we have NEW MEMBERS coming on board.

We cannot expect that what we tell them will register in their minds much more strongly than their desire to want to be part of the gift-giving magic.

New members, (or perhaps even MFCers who've been here a long time, but have never experienced seeing Mika yet) will probably have to go through the same motions as we did, to come to the realization that it is difficult to expect to capture the same excitement that Mika had for his early gifts (Scrapbook, Tartan Trousers, Birthday, etc) in his first year as a pop star in 2007.

I believe that the intent of this thread is not to stop anyone who wants to give Mika gifts.

It serves to help us give some serious thought and consideration to the reality that it might not be as magical as the very first Scrapbook project that he received from his fans (which I regretfully, was not a part of).

Remember - we all have a choice anyway as to whether we want to be involved. But if you are the starter of such a project - do not be offended when other members may choose not to participate.

I have to consider myself very lucky to have had the opportunity to give him the yearbook personally. Yes, its true - that it seemed to have worked out perfectly in the end (despite his lack of speech). But I would have been very disappointed and perhaps even bitter had it not worked out, after going through quite a bit of harassing and stress - this is the reality that happened to a few that I witnessed on the Dec 3rd and Dec 4th cancellations.

We just need to be realistic for 2008. It will work for smaller venues. There's a slimmer possibility for larger venues (but good on you if you make it happen!) Mika might make himself more accessible to fans of countries he has had little or no exposure to yet. :thumb_yello:

ok.. my two cents..

#1 personal gifts

go for it.. but don't expect him to keep it.. as lovely as he is, it would be hard to keep 100,000,000 presents..

#2 MFC gifts/projects

It's a great idea to get involved in a project.. however before starting one maybe check that you can't just do it within another one already going or planned.. eg. the yearbook project or the birthday project.. it may mean you have to wait until that project is opened for business..

(sidenote: considering his birthday is in August.. christmas is december.. why not have an easter project too so there's something going all year round.. )

and finally...

who doesn't like presents? seriously.. As if Mika wouldn't enjoy getting presents.. maybe sometimes he has no idea what to do with it afterwards.. and maybe sometimes he loves it until a new one comes to replace it.. and then maybe just occasionally one comes along that he can't part with..

but either way, Mika is like a big kid at times *points to youtube clip of groaning teddy bear*.. surely he loves pressies..

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=j1usJfEWxRw

I have the same opinions like you girls !!!!!:thumb_yello:

You have summed it all up very well Suzy. :thumb_yello:

I haven't read all of this thread and I don't deny that you probably have a point there, saying that he gets such a lot of stuff, wondering where to put it all...

Yet I find it kind of funny to start a thread like this, saying more or less (if I may put it a little strikingly) :'Stop giving him things, he doesn't know what to do with your stuff', just after having created another thread, saying 'OMG have you all seen Mika wearing the thing I gave him???!!!' :wink2:

I don't think anyone feeling like giving him something will stop doing so, however.

The question is: Why are people doing this? And I think it is pretty clear that it is not only done because they think 'OMG, poor Mika, I know he desperately needs another plush, another glittery thing or another little item to make it dangle from his neck.' People are giving him things (and believe me, they will keep on doing so) because it makes them feel good. Maybe they just feel a need to express their appreciation for what he does and how this has affected their lives? And maybe they just feel like giving something back? Something that required equally time and effort to make, just to show he's worth for them? How many hours did you say, took it to make your necklace? Or that scrapbook? :wink2: So I guess for the majority of people it is just a good feeling to know he got their little thingies, no matter if he wears, uses, opens them or takes them to bed with him. I bet all the people having taken part in those projects, be it the original scrapbook, or the bday thing or that xmas cd or the year book... found a little bit of inner peace and satisfaction for themselves doing that and thus being able to not only receive but give something themselves, and in most of the cases something quite personal. So, I wouldn't have the gutts to tell them to stop that, they won't anyway. And it is not like poor Mika didn't have a choice of what to do with it all. If he wants to wear the shirts, shoes and necklaces, he will wear them. If not, he won't. If he wants to listen to self-recorded xmas songs or read year books, he will. If not, he won't. Nobody is breathing down his neck, claiming huge thank yous or anything. To put it in a nutshell, as long as people are feeling a certain gratefulness and the wish to say thank you in any way, shape or form, and as long as it makes them happy to be able to do so, there will be presents, personal ones or project based ones. Just my two pence.

I haven't read all of this thread and I don't deny that you probably have a point there, saying that he gets such a lot of stuff, wondering where to put it all...

Yet I find it kind of funny to start a thread like this, saying more or less (if I may put it a little strikingly) :'Stop giving him things, he doesn't know what to do with your stuff', just after having created another thread, saying 'OMG have you all seen Mika wearing the thing I gave him???!!!' :wink2:

I don't think anyone feeling like giving him something will stop doing so, however.

The question is: Why are people doing this? And I think it is pretty clear that it is not only done because they think 'OMG, poor Mika, I know he desperately needs another plush, another glittery thing or another little item to make it dangle from his neck.' People are giving him things (and believe me, they will keep on doing so) because it makes them feel good. Maybe they just feel a need to express their appreciation for what he does and how this has affected their lives? And maybe they just feel like giving something back? Something that required equally time and effort to make, just to show he's worth for them? How many hours did you say, took it to make your necklace? Or that scrapbook? :wink2: So I guess for the majority of people it is just a good feeling to know he got their little thingies, no matter if he wears, uses, opens them or takes them to bed with him. I bet all the people having taken part in those projects, be it the original scrapbook, or the bday thing or that xmas cd or the year book... found a little bit of inner peace and satisfaction for themselves doing that and thus being able to not only receive but give something themselves, and in most of the cases something quite personal. So, I wouldn't have the gutts to tell them to stop that, they won't anyway. And it is not like poor Mika didn't have a choice of what to do with it all. If he wants to wear the shirts, shoes and necklaces, he will wear them. If not, he won't. If he wants to listen to self-recorded xmas songs or read year books, he will. If not, he won't. Nobody is breathing down his neck, claiming huge thank yous or anything. To put it in a nutshell, as long as people are feeling a certain gratefulness and the wish to say thank you in any way, shape or form, and as long as it makes them happy to be able to do so, there will be presents, personal ones or project based ones. Just my two pence.

:thumb_yello:

the fact is that, frankly, I've found this thread a bit..pesky

eheh Sivan..you want me to say...

I'm SO JEALOUS of you ^________^

{A hug is the perfect gift: one size fits all, and nobody minds if you exchange it}

This is very well said:thumb_yello:

Okay - this is my two cents>

The mfc do suprisingly few projects in themselves, they give gifts, but very few projects.

When one is made, it has contributions from 100s of MFCers as apposed to giving them all singularly which would probably cause more problems than it would smiles and it also puts more emphasis on the MFC as a whole rather than particular members who can travel to the concerts, those people get a change to make some form of contribution and to be honest - i think thats great.

Its the presents that might be causing the problem, they are just small gifts, often not particularly well planned or thought out and (im sorry if this sounds rude) but probably end up in the bin or at a local charity shop since there are only so many stuffed animals or necklaces one man can have.

The projects symbolise more, and they arent just for mica either, they are now for the band too.

So less presents and no change to the projects is my vote.

okay lets go into this a bit more deeply.

After a while, if it hasnt happened already, Mika will probably start expecting gifts lol. not in a selfish way, but probably like "right okay, got to go get another gift and show how happy i am".

its been said, i know, but he may start to get a bit tired of it.

we all know Mika appreciates what we do for him and knows we are all very special and stuff, but i think he gets the message now lol!!!

I'm not saying stop doing gifts from the MFC, i think they're a wonderful gesture but as Sivan says, maybe we should tone it down and only give him stuff when important things have happened or on certain holidays. I'm sure Mika won't tire incredibly from birthday gifts or christmas gifts (after all, everyone gets some of those every year, so why not?)

well actually in fact....we've all had a reason for doing some projects.

forgive me if i've missed some out:

Sivan's scrapbook: Mika starting out with his career, small notes of appreciation and how much we love him

Tartan trousers: came to scotland

relax! take it easy: Mika was taken to be really ill in the summer and so we compiled a relax! take it easy book to show that even though we'd love it if he visitied our countries, he should do it in his own time so that he didn't get so worn out (that sounds kinda harsh lol but in reality it was a lot nicer)

B'day project: self explanatory

Christmas CD: Self explanatory

Year in Cartoon Motion: to celebrate his first year as an artist and how he has touched us all

I think all of these presents had such wonderful and individual messages. I think the trick is to not make all the presents original with the same messages. Like, for example, no more "sivan style scrapbook". and we can't keep giving him certain gifts to represent the countries or places he visits, that's far too many presents.

I think i'm losing what im trying to say, but hopefully you'll all understand me. somehow.

I read a view messages here and now I'm starting to get all depressed and sad :boxed: Don't know why :blink:

De dutchies and belgjes (belgium members) are working on a project for MIKA that is something completely different. And that is all I'm going to say about it.

We are going to give it when he comes to the Netherlands again (which can be a very long time from now) But now I'm starting to get a little down about it :boxed:

:boxed:

I think all of these presents had such wonderful and individual messages. I think the trick is to not make all the presents original with the same messages. Like, for example, no more "sivan style scrapbook". and we can't keep giving him certain gifts to represent the countries or places he visits, that's far too many presents.

I think i'm losing what im trying to say, but hopefully you'll all understand me. somehow.

im sorry, but i beg to differ, sometimes those books are the only ways that certain fans can express their gratitude/appreciation/thanks to mika i know that having huge audiences travel from everywhere to see him shows that, but not as personally as the books do, and i understand that as mika gets more famous that it will be much harder and more people will be trying to do so within and outside of the MFC

I read a view messages here and now I'm starting to get all depressed and sad :boxed: Don't know why :blink:

De dutchies and belgjes (belgium members) are working on a project for MIKA that is something completely different. And that is all I'm going to say about it.

We are going to give it when he comes to the Netherlands again (which can be a very long time from now) But now I'm starting to get a little down about it :boxed:

i know what you mean, lol i chewed a fingernail, it is nothing personal against anyone here though :thumb_yello:

and the aussies are brewing up something very original too

Don't worry Starrats .... no-one can tell anyone else NOT to or that they shouldn't give Mika a gift ... or A Thousand gifts ..... as Armande said ... we Aussies are putting something together uniquely Australian for him when he visits us next year ... we are having fun doing it ... & are very happy to do it !! So .... no need to get sad .... :wub2::thumb_yello:

Don't worry Starrats .... no-one can tell anyone else NOT to or that they shouldn't give Mika a gift ... or A Thousand gifts ..... as Armande said ... we Aussies are putting something together uniquely Australian for him when he visits us next year ... we are having fun doing it ... & are very happy to do it !! So .... no need to get sad .... :wub2::thumb_yello:

thanks for the reassurance HK :flowers2:

and we can't keep giving him certain gifts to represent the countries or places he visits, that's far too many presents.

Not trying to be mean at all because I love you :biggrin2:

but I think that's easy to say when Mika has played tons of gigs in your country around where you live... I mean for the first time he's coming somewhere close to me, it's hard to describe how amazing that feels :bleh: . And think of all the countries he's never been to... I think it's perfectly fine for people to show their appreciation that he's coming to their countries and stuff.

i know what you mean, lol i chewed a fingernail, it is nothing personal against anyone here though :thumb_yello:

and the aussies are brewing up something very original too

I'm sorry to say but I sometimes have the feeling these projects turn into a competition between groups within the MFC. I understand that everyone wants his gift to be the most special and original one, and hopes Mika will like it, but in a way it leads to some kind of jealousy and secrecy i think it's sad cause after all, we're all here for MIKA and should work together. :(

the aussies thing is only for when he tours australia, it wouldn't make sense to include people from other countries, everyone is welcome to come by the thread and peek in, nothing is secret at all (not that i know of :blink:)

Oh - forgot to add:

BonjourMika and lollipop_monkey - HE THOUGHT THE YEARBOOK WAS AMAAAZING - despite what you interpret on the video. This message was passed on to me persoanlly, by Andy his camerman and his tour manager, John.:thumb_yello::biggrin2::punk:

Hey Suzy! Just so you know, I always interpreted the video to be nothing less than outstanding and I felt like MIKA GENUINLY AND SINCERELY LOVED THE BOOK...ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS LOOK AT THAT SMILE YOU KNOW? IT probably would have been different if I had been there and got to witness it first hand, but I am beyond happy with the result. Just dissapointed at what others interpret as him being unappreciative. I never could think of mika that way, and I was flustered because I felt like I needed to defend his sincerity:blush-anim-cl: I am forever grateful to Andy as well!

Have to go, CIAO