2007 - Star of wonder: Mika talks about his merry future

lollipop_monkey

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Generally, the people who like my music are the less conventional ones – the outsiders, the weirdos," he says. "It's amazing how many of us there are."

I feel offended :mf_rosetinted:

:roftl:

:roftl:

Hihihihi. I think it´s a good compliment. We´re special :wink2:

That's defintely true.

I wonder if Mika was a bit skeptical when fans started following him around, going on about how attractive he is, and practically drooling on the floor.

It sounds as though he sees the whole fame and success thing as a bubble that's just going to suddenly pop on him, and leave him as that lonely 10 year old boy who just wanted a Christmas tree at school. :tears:

That's going a little too much with his sob story. :bleh: His childhood wasn't that tragic and lonely... I mean, parts of it were upsetting, certainly, but you must remember that he always had a great supportive family with siblings and neighbors and relatives who'd gather around him. And friends, too! He may have felt isolated at his school, but he did have friends still, and one of his current good friends is one he's had since primary school. (I'm pretty envious of that. I wish I still had my childhood friends!)

Love the pink though.

--Jack

Edit: this story is also pretty sensationalized. He did not "fly" to London; he moved there from Paris, where he'd been living for 8 years before. His father was not Saddam's "human shield," he wasn't even a technical hostage--he was "virtually held hostage" at the American embassy. And concern for his dad had nothing to do with Mika's school problems, since the two things happened at entirely different times.

I loved this interview! But it was sad:sad:

About the "odd face" thing: It is true, but it's definitely not a bad thing. It's so much more attractive than the usual face of a man haha.

I almost cried about the Christmas tree thing - that was so sweet of him to attempt to do:blush-anim-cl: Also the part about the gifts from the fans warmed me heart (again):wub2:

And yes, we are outsiders :naughty: If sitting at the computer for hours on end on a fan club doesn't make you a weirdo, then I don't know what does:roftl:

I love the picture too!

Thanks for posting:thumb_yello:

Yeah, I feel bad about his childhood, but as long as he's over it... It's all good.

I mean I went through the same stuff...so it's not a really unique story...there are elements that are "wow" but I don't think he wants sympathy...just to let others know that he's better than ever and will continue to move past it... I think he is serving as a source of inspiration to those in that situation of being bullied. He has to know that, otherwise I don't really think he would say anything about it.

AS far as his face being odd and him thinking he was ugly lol... Obviously I disagree with him. Mika's face is beautiful...truly beautiful:blush-anim-cl:

yeah like a really enormous one so he'll have nowhere to put it :naughty:

YESSIR!:mf_rosetinted:

:doh: I can't leave Italy with that...Ryanair doesn't allow giant plushies shaped crocodile, so neither a xmas tree???

That's going a little too much with his sob story. :bleh: His childhood wasn't that tragic and lonely... I mean, parts of it were upsetting, certainly, but you must remember that he always had a great supportive family with siblings and neighbors and relatives who'd gather around him. And friends, too! He may have felt isolated at his school, but he did have friends still, and one of his current good friends is one he's had since primary school. (I'm pretty envious of that. I wish I still had my childhood friends!)

Love the pink though.

--Jack

i'm with you in this sort of considerations...MIKA MOANING MEOWING MICE..stop it!!!:naughty:

I'm crying here :tears:

MIKA and I have so much in common :shocked:

"I am very suspicious of people," Mika begins. He falls silent for a bit, replaying in his head some scene from his past. It's a habit of his.

I know what he means I don't trust people ether

"I was always told I was ugly. I still think I am ugly. I know I've got an odd face and you can't tell me otherwise. It's the same with what I do. Part of me sees myself as talented, and the other part sees me as strange. Ideas get stuck in your head and nothing changes them. Not even fame."

I think I'm ugly to, my nose is ugly and points to the right. And i have really big ears. And every time someone says that I'm not ugly or that i'm good at something i just won't believe them.

Mika was born in Beirut in 1983, at the height of the Lebanese civil war. His family fled to London via Cyprus and Paris. Diagnosed dyslexic, considered autistic, certified obsessive compulsive (he still buys all his clothes in sets of three), he was bullied so completely he had a nervous breakdown.

I'm dyslextic and people often think that I'm autistic to. I never went to a doctor to confirm this.

A classic ugly duckling becomes swan story? Not quite. "Lots of people don't like me," Mika says. "Lots of people don't like my music. There's not a lot I can do about that."

If people start to know me they also hate or love me. Most of the time they hate me.

At the age of nine, he attended the Lycée Français Charles de Gaulle in London. Rather than hang out in jeans and cool, ripped T-shirts like his fellow students, Mika would turn up in bright red trousers and a bow tie.

I was always 2 or 3 years behind with my clothing style Because i didn't want to wear what everybody was wearing

"Oh, my school days were a nightmare," he says. "It was as if all the kids could smell there was something different about me. I was bullied all the time. It was all psychological and name-calling, the usual weirdo stuff.
I know what he means. I had the same feeling about it. As soon as I walk in a room people just know that I'm weird and ignore me. I was bullied for 14 years :boxed: and I still don't know what i did wrong.

"I was fatter then and they used to say I had child-bearing hips. That always stuck. Those are the scars you can inflict that don't ever show. The teachers were just as bad. They thought I was completely stupid.
I had a lump on my hand and they always bullied me with that, they called me witch. And always tried to make me cry and the they called me crybaby. And then i got fatter and they started to call me fatso or pig

"A lot of kids end up pretending to be someone they are not. You can learn how to dress like everyone else and learn to talk about computer games and football and the sort of music other kids like. I did attempt to do that a couple of times, but I couldn't stand it. I couldn't change the way I was. It made me even more extreme."

I can't act like I'm someone els ether, or wear clothes that everybody wants me to wear. I hate it.

His family was put under pressure to have him diagnosed as autistic and tutored as a special-needs pupil, but his mother resisted. Parental support remains a crucial lifeline, with Mika explaining of his initial inhibition today, "I surround myself with my family and my oldest friends. I don't let new people in."
My family doesn't understand me. And I have only 1 friend but I don't think she wants to be my friend anymore :thumbdown: So that will mean that I have zero friends again. And its so hard for me to make friends because I don't trust people.

For someone so painfully honest about his unhappiest experiences, Mika is evasive when it comes to his family. He describes his father's job as "something in finance", and is unwilling to talk about why he was in Kuwait shortly before the first Gulf War, when Saddam Hussein's regime kidnapped hundreds of foreigners and forcibly used them as human shields around factories and military installations.

I'm also open and honest. (I was denied ones for a job interview because I was to nice and honest and it was for a job in a store where you have to help people )

That's all Mika will say on the matter – surely one of the formative experiences of his life. He returns to the subject of school, where the pressure of his dad's internment got too much for Mika. He stopped speaking, reading and writing altogether.

I got really really sick one time because of my situation (the bulling and my parent always arguing/divorce) And I almost stopped talking. Sometimes when a teacher asked me a question I just didn't answer. I was living in my own little world in daydream land

"That was a very bad time," he says. "I can see how weird I was. One day I decided the school needed a Christmas tree and spent hours dragging this huge beast of a tree into school. No one was pleased. I got two weeks' detention because I was 45 minutes late and had made a big mess of leaves and soil all over the building. All the kids just laughed at me."

Trying to do something nice for someone els and getting punished for it :boxed: Been there don that a lot of times.

"Even now if I was put back into that environment it would happen all over again. For the first few hours everyone would be happy for me and want to talk about my music. Then there would be the laughing. Then the jokes at my expense. Then the nasty comments."

I know what he means :boxed:

For all that this borders on camp self-obsession, there are thousands of people who relate directly to the way Mika grew up. "Generally, the people who like my music are the less conventional ones – the outsiders, the weirdos," he says. "It's amazing how many of us there are."

Mika's fans arrive at his shows dressed up as the characters in his songs: pink and cutesy Lollipop girl, kipper-tied closet gay Billy Brown and Big Girl.

Revenge of the nerds :punk:

Mika believes that what happened to him at school helped him avoid the trap of becoming the sort of artist Cowell would like. "I pushed on doing my own thing and just went round to clubs and festivals and gathered a core of people who understood what I was doing. It got bigger and bigger, which is why I got to No 1 before anyone in the mainstream had really heard of me."

I'm also doing things my way, even if people want me to change

I'm crying here

MIKA and I have so much in common :shocked:

I know what he means I don't trust people ether

I think I'm ugly to, my nose is ugly and points to the right. And i have really big ears. And every time someone says that I'm not ugly or that i'm good at something i just won't believe them.

I'm dyslextic and people often think that I'm autistic to. I never went to a doctor to confirm this.

If people start to know me they also hate or love me. Most of the time they hate me.

I was always 2 or 3 years behind with my clothing style Because i didn't want to wear what everybody was wearing

I know what he means. I had the same feeling about it. As soon as I walk in a room people just know that I'm weird and ignore me. I was bullied for 14 years :boxed: and I still don't know what i did wrong.

I had a lump on my hand and they always bullied me with that, they called me witch. And always tried to make me cry and the they called me crybaby. And then i got fatter and they started to call me fatso or pig

I can't act like I'm someone els ether, or wear clothes that everybody wants me to wear. I hate it.

My family doesn't understand me. And I have only 1 friend but I don't think she wants to be my friend anymore :thumbdown: So that will mean that I have zero friends again. And its so hard for me to make friends because I don't trust people.

I'm also open and honest. (I was denied ones for a job interview because I was to nice and honest and it was for a job in a store where you have to help people )

I got really really sick one time because of my situation (the bulling and my parent always arguing/divorce) And I almost stopped talking. Sometimes when a teacher asked me a question I just didn't answer. I was living in my own little world in daydream land

Trying to do something nice for someone els and getting punished for it :boxed: Been there don that a lot of times.

I know what he means :boxed:

Revenge of the nerds :punk:

I'm also doing things my way, even if people want me to change

Aww Starrats, just so you know that we are your friends, seriously!:wub2:

Euhm...I hope the cream is for the cupcakes we are eating while I conquer all your countries:blink:

And Starrats you are beautiful! *Group hug*

like, DUH :mf_rosetinted:

and yes Starrats i'll say it again and again until you believe it, you are beautiful and nice and lovably

Interesting reading, seriously.

About being ugly...I understand him so well. When you spend half of your life hearing you´re useless, ugly, sh*t..it´s quite difficult to think people can find you attractive, sexy or talented. Even sometimes you think they´re mocking at you when they´re saying good things about you :)

Thats so true. I never believe anyone when they say I look nice, or anything else. And anyone I don't know that says something nice... As far as I'm concerned they're taking the mickey.

I think he's right about all of us true fans being the different lot. I've never really thought about it before because I've always tried to fit in and ignored the fact no one likes me, but I'm just the smart girl with no looks and my own way of doing things:boxed:

He does have an odd face; not in a bad way though.