PLEASE READ: Forum Guidelines

dcdeb

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just some days before she did the same , referring to identical twin, without calling her names though...someone called emerald clearly mentionned me , she said " i dont really no the **** you are talking about but she already pissed me off in the atheist thread and i really think i dont like her a lot " then nicki said "your not the only one", so they were not talking about me?i am being too sensitive? oh and i dont remember who said that but conne really came from the word con, in french, and honestly dcdeb, will you trust an online translator better than a french native speaker??? you asked some people here? who? nikkii´s friends? ask grammarians or linguists instead please if you dont believe me, a **** is a con, thats the way things are.

Pam, I didn't *just* ask people here -- I wanted someone who was totally

objective. One of my best friends is French,

and not on this forum, so I sent her the posts in question and asked

her to translate for me and tell me whether anything was offensive

in them. She phoned me with her answer, so I don't have

any text to paste here, but

according to her, the posts contain nothing offensive at all. And the word

that you are questioning? She claims she has never heard it used the way

you say Niki used it. Who do I believe? I believe my friend who has

no reason to lie to me in this matter.

So yes, I do still think that you are too sensitive in this case.

And, for the record, someone saying that they don't like you

or that something you said upset

or annoyed them is not against the rules. That's not the same as them

attacking you or calling you crazy.

im in the right thread i think, look at that dcdeb and dont tell me that anyone who tells you " dont forget to take your medication "is not insulting you, dare to say it!!

ouais, en fait t´es vraiment une conne et surtout n´oublie pas ton antirides ce soir

And so you answer with an insult, and then it all escalates? I don't

believe that's the right answer. In my opinion,

there's no shame in walking away from an argument. It's not a sign

of weakness. I've had plenty of people say similar things to me, in

real life and here on the forum, and I survived, even though I

didn't answer them back. You just take the high road and move on.

I think that everyone who has suggested that it's time to move on

from this episode is correct, before it escalates further and people

end up saying things that they'll regret later.

okay i understand you believe your friend, though its a matter of subjectivity.

i have two friends who are grammarians, one is a linguist and 2 are writers, emerald and nicki referred to me as a con/ne (you can translate litterally by cun.t) and not in a friendly way in this case, everyone agrees...chopotte told me to take a treatment, referring to mental illness...which to me is something above any kind of insult, but yes maybe im sensitive. especially towards jokes about mental illness since i really dont think its funny and sensitive towards any kind of injustice.

now this is really closed, i cant stay here any longer being bullied when i just basically came to give a linguistic opinion on something. this is all very sad and abnormal for such a kind of forum.

end of the story. so long.

okay i understand you believe your friend, though its a matter of subjectivity.

i have two friends who are grammarians, one is a linguist and 2 are writers, emerald and nicki referred to me as a con/ne (you can translate litterally by cun.t) and not in a friendly way in this case, everyone agrees...chopotte told me to take a treatment, referring to mental illness...which to me is something above any kind of insult, but yes maybe im sensitive. especially towards jokes about mental illness since i really dont think its funny and sensitive towards any kind of injustice.

now this is really closed, i cant stay here any longer being bullied when i just basically came to give a linguistic opinion on something. this is all very sad and abnormal for such a kind of forum.

end of the story. so long.

Don't you give up, being bullied or insulted by twits is the ultimate pleasure, don't deny it to yourself ! Read my yesterday and today's posts, they might cheer you up :thumb_yello: .

Needs an unfair entomologist to know one, dear :wink2: .

Keep it up, baby,

Id3

BTW there is one person we all know and admire -I do- that will put his size 10 1/2 in if he reads basely insulting posts or messages, like the mental treatment thing (that would make him mad -no pun intended-). After all he is the boss and owner here and it wouldn't be his first intervention.

Why don't you copy them, send me a PM and I'll give you an e-mail address where to reach him ? About reaching : couldn't send you a visitor's message, is it normal or did I screw things up as usual ?

Why would you encourage anyone take this course of action IDT3?

Honestly, do you think sending personal emails about forum behaviour is appropriate?

If the forum, ie public, behaviour I am referring to is inappropriate, I most certainly do.

Incidentally I wanted to send a visitor message to PT and couldn't find the tag on his/her wall. Does that happen sometimes or did I do some wrong move ? It seems that I have no pb sending them to other MFCers...

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Id3

If the forum, ie public, behaviour I am referring to is inappropriate, I most certainly do.

Incidentally I wanted to send a visitor message to PT and couldn't find the tag on his/her wall. Does that happen sometimes or did I do some wrong move ? It seems that I have no pb sending them to other MFCers...

Thanks in advance for helping me out.

Id3

You can turn off an option so that noone can write on your wall I think. Maybe she did that.:thumb_yello:

Hear, hear !

Sadly enough :emot-sad: some MFCers, mods included, seem unable to hear you, dear .

What I have heard is that hearing aids are very small and unobtrusive now :wink2: . Ask Santa ? They're pretty expensive though, what with the recession he might be unable to afford them ...

Have a go at me if you want, cause really, I ain't boverrred!

I'm not gonna get myself involved with this (I can hear the sighs of relief from the Mods already :naughty:), but I just wanted to respond to this one bit...

*gigglesnort*

I ain't bovvered...

That is all. :mf_rosetinted:

I feel the need to say this.

God knows (and Pam knows) that I usually have issues with what she posts, and that she has been known for being difficult and often posting things that she shouldn't (in my opinion), but I do think that we've had very lengthy discussions on this forum about many things that have gone on and on and on, and that if people feel the need to continue discussing them, then they should be able to do so.

Who decides when an argument is closed to further comment and based on what?

I'm not trying to cause arguments now wth MY post, or to add fire to the fuel (like you said, Diana :wink2:) but I sometimes think that depending on who it is that says something, we follow different routes of what is acceptable and what is not.

It's a bit like a person who finds themselves in front of a court: even if they have been found guilty in the past of other offences, they have the right to have a fair trial (and to be treated as innocent until proven guilty) on the current charges that they are facing.

My analogy may be a bit harsh, but it was the first thing that popped into my mind, so excuse that please:naughty:.

Am I making any sense??

Of course I'm not condoning people being insulting or rude, but I think that there have been somehow mean comments branded about in both directions here, and we seem to be forgetting this.

Aaaaaanyway, as I said, this is not meant to cause any further cr@p or to add any more malaise, it's just that it's been bothering m for a couple of days now.

Well thing is, Sara, that you cannot say people are deaf and cannot step out of an argument when you're trying to resuscitate the argument yourself. I think that's what Di meant. You either say "I'm not finished and I want to talk this through and others should too" or you say "let's move on". Otherwise it's just, indeed, putting oil on the fire.

But now I'm gonna step out ;)

Exactly. The people having the discussion were done discussing it, they stepped away from it which to me means they've said all they wanted to say.

I merely asked why a 3rd party, someone not involved in the initial discussion, thought it was necessary to spark it again.

I think everyone has the right to defend their point of view on whatever issue they happen to be talking about.

Thing is, when discussions go on too long people run out of things to say, start talking in circles and might end up getting nasty due to lack of arguments.

I'm not saying this is the case now by the way, it's just a general observation.

Sometimes it can be good to end a discussion before it turns into a fight.

I feel the need to say this.

God knows (and Pam knows) that I usually have issues with what she posts, and that she has been known for being difficult and often posting things that she shouldn't (in my opinion), but I do think that we've had very lengthy discussions on this forum about many things that have gone on and on and on, and that if people feel the need to continue discussing them, then they should be able to do so.

Who decides when an argument is closed to further comment and based on what?

I'm not trying to cause arguments now wth MY post, or to add fire to the fuel (like you said, Diana :wink2:) but I sometimes think that depending on who it is that says something, we follow different routes of what is acceptable and what is not.

It's a bit like a person who finds themselves in front of a court: even if they have been found guilty in the past of other offences, they have the right to have a fair trial (and to be treated as innocent until proven guilty) on the current charges that they are facing.

My analogy may be a bit harsh, but it was the first thing that popped into my mind, so excuse that please:naughty:.

Am I making any sense??

Of course I'm not condoning people being insulting or rude, but I think that there have been somehow mean comments branded about in both directions here, and we seem to be forgetting this.

Aaaaaanyway, as I said, this is not meant to cause any further cr@p or to add any more malaise, it's just that it's been bothering m for a couple of days now.

I am not very fluent in English :blush-anim-cl: but I think that in Londinium it's called 'double standard' :wink2: . If you are surprised to meet it you had led a very sheltered life so far... welcome to the real one. Enjoy !

I think it might be a good idea if we don't get involved... but I can't help coming back... I keep thinking an argument might start...

I shouldn't encourage a fight, should I? :blink:

Same here:naughty:

No, we absolutely shouldn't.:wink2:

Well thing is, Sara, that you cannot say people are deaf and cannot step out of an argument when you're trying to resuscitate the argument yourself. I think that's what Di meant. You either say "I'm not finished and I want to talk this through and others should too" or you say "let's move on". Otherwise it's just, indeed, putting oil on the fire.

But now I'm gonna step out ;)

Exactly. The people having the discussion were done discussing it, they stepped away from it which to me means they've said all they wanted to say.

I merely asked why a 3rd party, someone not involved in the initial discussion, thought it was necessary to spark it again.

I think everyone has the right to defend their point of view on whatever issue they happen to be talking about.

Thing is, when discussions go on too long people run out of things to say, start talking in circles and might end up getting nasty due to lack of arguments.

I'm not saying this is the case now by the way, it's just a general observation.

Sometimes it can be good to end a discussion before it turns into a fight.

See, this is what I was worried about, being taken the wrong way :wink2:. I was not ressucitating the argument.

As I said, this was not my motivation. All that I was saying is that I don't believe anyone should be told when they are ready to move on from a discussion, if they still feel the need to discuss it.And my post was, obviously, not a dig at Diana.

If a certain member is causing trouble, then by all means, I agree that they should be disciplined or banned.

What I worry about is this subtle "underhand" discipline that I sometimes see the glimpse of, where someone who is allowed to be a full vocal posting member is told to stop posting in certain discussions. I am just asking for coherence and fairness, that's all that it is.

I am well aware of the fact that moderating is a difficult task, and that everyone does an unpaid and (to a certain degree) unregulated job, and they do it to the best of their ability, but on the other hand I find it essential that others are able to voice their opinions, and that discussions are kept open. Otherwise we start stepping into quite slippery territory.

I am not very fluent in English but I think that in Londinium it's called 'double standard' :wink2: . If you are surprised to meet it you had led a very sheltered life so far... welcome to the real one. Enjoy !

Yes, of course I've come cross double standards in my life before, I am after all 37 :thumb_yello:. Been in the real world for quite a while now :naughty:.

See, this is what I was worried about, being taken the wrong way :wink2:. I was not ressucitating the argument.

No, you were not. Read better.

As for your concerns, there's a huge difference between argumentating your point of view rationally and objectively and provoking for the sake of provoking. And let me remind you we didn't close this thread, altho this discussion didn't belong here of all places on this forum. If people want to keep debating, they are free to do so, but people who want to stop talking in circles are free to do it aswell.

If people want to fight, can't they just do it outside the MFC? Because it's a bit annoying to come into a thread and read about a fight, and then you just have to force yourself not to get involved.

Hi! I'm not getting involved, I'm just subscribing:naughty: