PLEASE READ: Forum Guidelines

dcdeb

Let me get back to the original guideline you are questioning for a second:

and Deb's comment:

It's NOT censorship.. This is NOT a ban on freedom of speech. This is NOT saying that no one has a right to have an opinion.

This is saying use your friggin head. Have some respect. Don't post insults intending to upset someone. Don't make racist, sexist and discriminating remarks. Have some compassion. Treat others as you would have yourself treated.

Would you prefer that particular guideline was removed and we all were completely free to bad mouthed each other then lie and say "I was joking"

Exactly right .. in theory anyone could post anything with the :mf_rosetinted: , and say ohh I was joking ..

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Blue sky

Ok ... Ive been thinking about this a lot lately and I quite like the idea , if someone has an issue with Modding , (end of the day none of us are perfect) we do need something ...

This should be the true role of admin .. obviously things will change on the MFC and can look at it futher but I along with a few MFCers would work .:thumb_yello:

The admin role should be independant .. please bear in mind that DC runs the mod structure :thumb_yello:

Anyways we can look into it , the results of that group need to be fed to someone and that would be admin

Didnt you once tell me off for suggesting this?

At the risk of pushing buttons, i dont think it should be you.

If serious enough (and he is open to doing it) - i think it should be dean.

He does not openly contribute to the mfc unless necessary and therefore as a bystander with the ability to look into things, an 'innocent' party might be more beneficial.

I would certainly support that. :thumb_yello:

(But I hope you read my earlier post about the use of :mf_rosetinted: --

you know that we're not saying you can't use that smilie!)

dcdeb

I didn't mean just the use of the smilie, but what it has come to symbolize. It would be nice with one thread where we can be sarcastic among sarcastic people without being seen as rude. And (as it seems we really need to tone down the sarcasm everywhere else to follow the guidelines) it would actually be nice to have it written in the guidelines that you "enter at your own risk" if you are easily offended by people saying horribly rude and offensive things like "I don't care about your opinion :mf_rosetinted:" or "Mika is a tw*t :mf_rosetinted:" :blink:

I wanted to say I agree with the rules...it's hard for me because I'm in the other side (being insulted instead of insulting). Didn't saw which were the insults, 'cause the mods deleted them, but I appreciate that they made it stop just a little bit...Some things must not pass unnoticed.

It was a long time being kinda rejected in the thread I usually am..and perhaps It'll never end, but there's no doubt the guidelines help a lot to try to make things go better in the forums. The only thing I want is to log in and found everything's OK..

Would you prefer that particular guideline was removed and we all were completely free to bad mouthed each other then lie and say "I was joking"

It rings a bell in my mind...it actually happened lot of times...I wish it won't happen again

Oh, I do not operate under the misconception that ANYTHING I do

or say or write is perfect -- I have a husband and son whose job it

is (apparently) to remind me of how IMperfect I am. Daily :wink2:

But you're right Scut, it is difficult to deal with the subjective and I hope

that you realize that WE struggle with it. We try not to overreact and

try not to misjudge -- I know I personally always try to be fair and

open-minded, and I'm sure the other mods are the same. We may

make mistakes, but nothing we do is irreversible, thankfully -- we

can always correct our mistakes.

Of course I realise that you struggle with it, we all do on a day-to-day basis. You can try to be fair but drawing any line in subjective matters is inherently unfair... but needs to be done all the same. I just don't want anyone to have the delusion that the system is fair.

It's unfortunate but some things are irreversible, such as the way that people view the forum or even whether they will continue to participate or not (as we have seen recently).

Well, yes, but when/if we become official, there may be a whole new

set of rules introduced, so this may all be moot. :blink: And for the record, I

don't feel NOW that I'm free to do as I please -- I believe I am accountable

not just to the other moderators, but to the membership here. If I screw up

it's done in a very public way, and I hear about it. Believe me, that's

just another reason for me to think about my actions carefully!

I guess we'll just have to wait and see if it happens.

My bad, "do as you please" wasn't the best phrasing. I didn't mean that you're not accountable, I meant that because the forum is private the mods/admins can have their own self-determined set of rules. But when/if we becomes an official fan club the consequences of your decisions will be more far-reaching than simply a private forum.

Is rationalisable even a word?

I'm serious... I don't think I've ever seen anyone use that word before... if it really is one...

I don't think it is actually. I just meant that it can't be rationalised.

Is rationalisable even a word?

I'm serious... I don't think I've ever seen anyone use that word before... if it really is one...

Technically, in the context used - No.

It is a word (if used with a z not an s for American bonus points) but is in reference to gaming.

Rationalisability, however, is.

Didnt you once tell me off for suggesting this?

At the risk of pushing buttons, i dont think it should be you.

If serious enough (and he is open to doing it) - i think it should be dean.

He does not openly contribute to the mfc unless necessary and therefore as a bystander with the ability to look into things, an 'innocent' party might be more beneficial.

mmmm

Ok , I see your point of view :thumb_yello:

It wont be dean anyways

I wanted to say I agree with the rules...it's hard for me because I'm in the other side (being insulted instead of insulting). Didn't saw which were the insults, 'cause the mods deleted them, but I appreciate that they made it stop just a little bit...Some things must not pass unnoticed.

It was a long time being kinda rejected in the thread I usually am..and perhaps It'll never end, but there's no doubt the guidelines help a lot to try to make things go better in the forums. The only thing I want is to log in and found everything's OK..

Great , we do our jobs right then :thumb_yello:

mmmm

Ok , I see your point of view :thumb_yello:

It wont be dean anyways

No i gathered that, what i meant was that it should be someone who is not so personally involved with the content of the mfc.

That way judgement is based purely on facts as opposed to personal opinions.

Im not suggesting you wouldnt be good at the job, but just that the whole idea of pannels/judges is based on the notion of using someone who is not directly involved.

Let me get back to the original guideline you are questioning for a second:

and Deb's comment:

It's NOT censorship.. This is NOT a ban on freedom of speech. This is NOT saying that no one has a right to have an opinion.

This is saying use your friggin head. Have some respect. Don't post insults intending to upset someone. Don't make racist, sexist and discriminating remarks. Have some compassion. Treat others as you would have yourself treated.

I don't get why we need to pretend like we're not censoring and limiting freedom of speech: that's what guidelines and rules are, they set boundaries, they limit what you can and can't do. It's the definition of a moderated forum. We just shouldn't pretend that it's perfect because it is inherently unfair. But we live with it because it's part of the disclaimer that you agree to when you join. You either conform to everyone else's definition of appropriate or you leave. The forum is private so it has every right to dictate its own guidelines.

Oh God, you girls have been writing quite a lot :)

Anyway, I support Deb in everything she says. As for your concerns, Scut and Kata (I give your names in particular, sorry it's just the 2 I remember) I think the fact we analyse every situation in a particular context avoids quite a lot of misunderstanding. We won't read "Mika is a tw@t" in the apples with the same eyes as we'd read it in any other thread. That's probably the good thing about having members as mods, we know you and the different threads better than any external judge would.

As for subjectivity... it's very tricky, as the recent events proved it. It is true that some members come across very harsh on the forum and that some people are (sometimes too easily) offended. I've learned my lesson and I think the first thing I'll do (I'm speaking for myself here but I'm sure the other mods will agree) is to act as a mediator :

1) try to make the "offensive" member aware that some of his posts are being misunderstood and try to make him make them a bit less harsh, or, at least, keep the ultra-sarcastic tone for certain threads where newbies generally don't venture.

2) try to make the "offended" member realize it wasnt nasty, that it shouldnt be taken personally.

But again, when that kind of situation happens too often, things become tricky. We're a community and we're trying to make everyone feel at home on MFC. I'm waiting for suggestions on how you think we should react...

I don't think it is actually. I just meant that it can't be rationalised.

Didn't think so...

Technically, in the context used - No.

It is a word (if used with a z not an s for American bonus points) but is in reference to gaming.

Rationalisability, however, is.

Ummmm... Okay. :blink:

I is so confussed right now... Thanks for trying to explain though...

I don't get why we need to pretend like we're not censoring and limiting freedom of speech: that's what guidelines and rules are, they set boundaries, they limit what you can and can't do. It's the definition of a moderated forum. We just shouldn't pretend that it's perfect because it is inherently unfair. But we live with it because it's part of the disclaimer that you agree to when you join. You either conform to everyone else's definition of appropriate or you leave. The forum is private so it has every right to dictate its own guidelines.

If I didn't know you better, I'd be thinking by now that you were all for discrimination and would wave the "freedom of speech" flag if someone was offended. Are you so against this guideline that you are willing to come across as insensitive to others feelings?

And it's self control, not censorship. It's a guideline that requests members to have self-control over their opinions.

If I didn't know you better, I'd be thinking by now that you were all for discrimination and would wave the "freedom of speech" flag if someone was offended. Are you so against this guideline that you are willing to come across as insensitive to others feelings?

And it's self control, not censorship. It's a guideline that requests members to have self-control over their opinions.

My personal views have no bearing on how the MFC is run: it's a privately-run forum and therefore has the right to set whatever guidelines or rules that it pleases. It has every right to say to me: if you're not happy with it you can leave.

I am personally completely against censorship, I'm pro people saying exactly what's on their mind and others accepting that the definition of "acceptable" and "insensitive" is arbitrary and subjective and therefore won't take offense. But that's my ideal and not the MFC's.

Why are we treating "censorship" like it's a dirty word to be avoided? This is a private forum which has the right to set its own guidelines which if you wish to participate you must adhere to. One of the guidelines that it has set is that this forum is moderated. Moderation is inherently a form of censorship because it involves drawing lines and any line inherently limits freedom of speech. Any absence of absolute freedom of speech = censorship. What you're calling "self-control" is one and the same thing: it's a member controlling their opinions to fit within what the MFC defines as acceptable (which may or may not be in line with what you personally feel is acceptable). And it's fine, as a private forum the MFC has every right to dictate its own rules and censor what it deems needs censoring.

I don't need to agree with it to live with it. If didn't I conform to guidelines that I disagree with I would have ended up in trouble a long time ago. I accept that I must do so if I want to participate in this forum. It's not fair but hey it's reality.

What'll happen when/if we become official, though, is a different matter. That's why I've been putting off my decision of whether I want to continue participating the MFC or not until after we become official (if ever)... the whole dynamic of the place may change.

:shocked: SCUTTY ???!!! :shocked::blink:

What? :blink: Too sarcastic? Wrong thread?