Freddies English Teaching Course

"good girl gone bad" has sense... It means "good girl turned bad"?

And about "loo"... :aah:

My best friend was once in Mexico and she told me she freaked out when she heard how Mexicans mix English and Spanish there. She heard a strange convo where they were talking about a rapped teenager saying "Tinajera ripeada" which fonetically sounds as "teenager rapped" but as in... Spanish way... Darn, hard to explain :roftl:

:shocked:

Seriously... erm... Is it that hard to say just "zero". We do!!! :roftl:

:shun: that would make things too easy....

:naughty:

guys please can you tell me which one is correct? :aah:

this should be given to us two weeks ago

or

this should has been given?

(I was at English Olympiad and wondered which one was right xD there were 4 answers but I thought one of those above..)

or

(I was at English Olympiad and wondered which one was right xD there were 4 answers but I thought one of those above..)

It's "this should have been given".

or

I hope one of the answers wasn't "should of"!

• 2 weeks later...

English is my first language but I usually don't understand those weird sayings. It took me years to work out what 'pot calling the kettle black' meant, not least because pots and kettles are generally not black. English folk are strange sometimes!

As for slang ( I'm not brilliant at that either) , people say something's 'sick' when they mean it's great. There are chavs ,who tend to be teenagers adopting a certain dress sense ( a cap etc.) and spending their time sitting around with their other Chav friends on a bike that is much too small for them.

They say 'innit', 'mush' and 'blad', leading to this kind of Chav joke:

What do you call a Chav in a box? Innit

What do you call a Chav in a blender? Mush

What do you get when a Chav cuts themselves?

Well, chavs are just part of the very strange English culture!

English is my first language but I usually don't understand those weird sayings. It took me years to work out what 'pot calling the kettle black' meant, not least because pots and kettles are generally not black.

I found the same thing with a lot of idioms. I think it happens when you hear them when you are too young to think metaphorically or perhaps are unfamiliar with the usage of some of the words. Even when your understanding of the language advances these phrases are kind of stuck in your head in their original nonsensical form. A phrase like "beyond the Pale" for instance is totally meaningless to a 6 year old growing up in Canada. :naughty:

Oh , idioms, that's what they're called! For someone who apparently can write very well, there is still so much English language I do not know.

I think idioms ( new word for me) occur in most languages (eg Polish), but in different ways. Even for a 15 year old ( and I'm not alone) they are hard to understand.

Ruth and Mary, the answer is 'should HAVE!'. it's a common misconception amongst English people that it is correct to write 'should of'. This just comes from speech. The 'h' on ' have ' gets dropped and it is obviously wrong to write 'ave' . 'Of' is written because it sounds close, especially with some accents.

Oh , idioms, that's what they're called! For someone who apparently can write very well, there is still so much English language I do not know.

I think idioms ( new word for me) occur in most languages (eg Polish), but in different ways. Even for a 15 year old ( and I'm not alone) they are hard to understand.

Ruth and Mary, the answer is 'should HAVE!'. it's a common misconception amongst English people that it is correct to write 'should of'. This just comes from speech. The 'h' on ' have ' gets dropped and it is obviously wrong to write 'ave' . 'Of' is written because it sounds close, especially with some accents.

Oh, Ruth knows that - she's a teacher :naughty:

Shame. I still need to translate from Spanish to English... so....

People know

or

People knows

In Spanish we say people knows cause the word "people" (even if it means a lot of persons) is singular...

People know. :wink2:

Cause "people" is the plural of "person". :thumb_yello:

• 3 weeks later...

Do you English speakers really hear the difference between "can" cand "can´t" in songs?

Now I´m talking about "By the time" when he sings "don´t wake up, won´t wake up can´t wake up"... I mean, if you´d hear this sentence out of context... do you really hear the "t" at the end?

Do you English speakers really hear the difference between "can" cand "can´t" in songs?

Now I´m talking about "By the time" when he sings "don´t wake up, won´t wake up can´t wake up"... I mean, if you´d hear this sentence out of context... do you really hear the "t" at the end?

Yes I can hear the difference but I can't explain it because I'm not a linguist. :naughty: I think the T is replaced with a different sound (like a glottal stop) or maybe the a vowels are different. :dunno: American and British accents are different so I guess I interpret most British speech within its context so it's hard to say. We always enunciate Rs and Ts where some Brits are dropping them.

I read a book today and it used "I'd have" (or I'd had something I can't remember) instead of the normal "I've had"... is it really differ?

I'd have = I would have

I'd had = I had had

I've had = I have had

Please explain me...

I was taught in my University, that we have to say "beautiful boy", but "handsome man". But if I say "beautiful man" - is it a mistake? Or this phrase acquires some other connotation?

I think you can say whatever you want. I would say Mika is a beautiful man especially in certain photo shoots where he looks like a professional model. Maybe it's considered a bit slang I don't know. Generally you would use beautiful to describe a woman but handsome is becoming an old fashioned term and now it seems men are described as hot (or not). :naughty: When I was a girl teenage boys were cute and men were gorgeous. Now everyone is hot, man or woman.

I think you can say whatever you want. I would say Mika is a beautiful man especially in certain photo shoots where he looks like a professional model. Maybe it's considered a bit slang I don't know. Generally you would use beautiful to describe a woman but handsome is becoming an old fashioned term and now it seems men are described as hot (or not). :naughty: When I was a girl teenage boys were cute and men were gorgeous. Now everyone is hot, man or woman.

How did you know that I was talking about Mika???? :blink::mf_rosetinted:

Thank you Christine! Because handsome sounds for me like someone old and smart... Someone like Poirot in movies, or Depp in his 48...

But not like Mika :)

I don't think I'm the one who's got the best answer as I'm not a native speaker, but I would say 'can' and 'can't' don't sound the same, at least with British accent just like in By The Time.

I don't think the 't' is so important, it's the sound of the 'a' that would help you decide if it's the negative form or not..I mean in the song if he said 'can' you would hear an open 'a' almost like in 'cat'

But here you can clearly hear another sound for 'a'.. (in phonetics ɑ: instead of æ in 'can')

My reply is messy :teehee: