Any atheists ?

Pam Travers

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting I just read a book on the 12 men that have stepped on the moon , all came back and turned to relegion , it was such a mind blowing deep experience

I read that this summer. Moondust. Took some getting into and then haunted me when I'd finished it.

Actually I read that they are soon to release scientific proof that when people are close to dying the rise up from the body towards a bright light thing is true :thumb_yello:

<now where did i read that>

Hmmmmm

The Sun? :lmfao:

I will be very happy to be pointed towards the scientific research that proves that :biggrin2:

what? I thought you were joking when you said that, haha. How on earth would they manage to even design such research?

It was placing blocks of wood or something on high surfaces and they were hid .. and people floated up and saw them :shocked:

Really it was just something that fllew past my eyes when I saw it .. my whole life is like that .. kinda random:naughty:

It was placing blocks of wood or something on high surfaces and they were hid .. and people floated up and saw them :shocked:

Really it was just something that fllew past my eyes when I saw it .. my whole life is like that .. kinda random:naughty:

Could it be pictures/postcards on a shelf that could only be seen from above?

I've found articles that explain the research, but no findings.

^ I completely agree with that article, even though I realize it's difficult to not affect them with your own religious views. I'll try to be as open minded as possible though, and teach them about all religions from a neutral side. As long as they don't end up as extremists I won't mind what they end up believing.

My brother tried to raise his kids in a more secular way, but school and kindergarten has already messed up that plan. They've never learned about any religions at home, but when I was babysitting them a couple of months ago the 6-year old asked me if permanent tattoos were so permanent that they'd still be there when you go to heaven... I had no idea what to say, lol

My brother tried to raise his kids in a more secular way, but school and kindergarten has already messed up that plan. They've never learned about any religions at home, but when I was babysitting them a couple of months ago the 6-year old asked me if permanent tattoos were so permanent that they'd still be there when you go to heaven... I had no idea what to say, lol

Aren't kids just great? They ask the best questions.

I actually used to tell mine a fair bit of religious stuff and they didn't know I didn't believe until they were quite old. I found the expression 'Christian atheist' helpful to explain my position, because I think most the values I have are based in the religion of my childhood and I wanted my children to have those values. It's the belief bit that does my head in. I wanted them to make their own minds up without me putting mine on them. I'm delighted to say that, (sudden dramatic conversions apart,) I have 3 thoughtful kind caring atheist children, of whom I am inordinately proud. And the fact that my eldest is marrying in the presence of an Elvis look-alike, rather than a vicar is totally fine with me!

I don't believe in God.

A god who creates so mùany wars and dead in his name cannot exist.

But I don't want to be an "Atheist" it's too restictive.

Music is my religion, Jimy Hendrix is a god, Bob Marley is a god, John Lennon is a god, Mika is a god, Matthew Bellamy is a god...

Everyone who does womething I love is a god.

(It's a joke between me and my friend. And everyday I say "Oh he is a god !")

Aren't kids just great? They ask the best questions.

I actually used to tell mine a fair bit of religious stuff and they didn't know I didn't believe until they were quite old. I found the expression 'Christian atheist' helpful to explain my position, because I think most the values I have are based in the religion of my childhood and I wanted my children to have those values. It's the belief bit that does my head in. I wanted them to make their own minds up without me putting mine on them. I'm delighted to say that, (sudden dramatic conversions apart,) I have 3 thoughtful kind caring atheist children, of whom I am inordinately proud. And the fact that my eldest is marrying in the presence of an Elvis look-alike, rather than a vicar is totally fine with me!

haha, that's great.

My mother is christian, but she is extremely tolerant when it comes to other beliefs. My sister is the only christian of us kids, but she is very very liberal. My oldest brother is an atheist, and my brother and I are atheist buddhists (though I'm not very involved). My father is an atheist but he won't admit it :teehee:

I actually think our mother is very pleased that none of us ended up being very christian.

Belief in God stems from blind ignorance:

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2009/nov/19/belief-god-stems-blind-ignorance/

"Most people believe in the supernatural simply because they want to do so or because they have been raised in environments that demanded it. They fail dismally when they try to give “proof,” almost universally falling back on god-of-the-gaps arguments: If we don’t understand how something occurred, a god must have done it.

This is the argument of the Intelligent Design movement. In this line of reasoning, gods are basically defined by human ignorance, and they keep shrinking with every new scientific discovery."

:thumb_yello:

My best friend is Athiest and while I accept her belief, there are times I think she's doing it only to tell people that she is - as if she thinks people will think she's cooler because of what she does or does not believe in. Maybe it is just my age but it is deemed uncool to go to Church, so I believe that is why she is Athiest - as she is actually a baptised Catholic. But perhaps I am wrong, and if I am I will apologise to her.

I am a baptised Catholic and while I believe in some of the stuff in the Catholic Bible (mainly the 10 commandments, I think that if everyone lived by them we would live in a much more peaceful world), I also believe that it is a story and should be taken with a grain of salt. When my younger sister fell ill my mum and I turned to Buddhism. For some reason we found that this seemed to be the religion for us, especially during this tough time, and although that time is long gone, I still do attend some meetings and if I am feeling really upset I will do some chanting. However, when I am at school (I attend a Catholic school), I will go to masses and I do go to mass every Good Friday and Christmas Eve and I do also believe in God.

Perhaps I don't believe in a specific God, but in my mind, there is something greater then us out there, be it Buddha, Jesus, God etc. and if there is anything up there, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if we turned to someone else, or didn't turn to anyone at all.

One thing I DO NOT like however, is people trying to force their opinions onto others. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and all these wars etc. to me seem pointless.

Sorry if this was long , but yeah :)

My best friend is Athiest and while I accept her belief, there are times I think she's doing it only to tell people that she is - as if she thinks people will think she's cooler because of what she does or does not believe in. Maybe it is just my age but it is deemed uncool to go to Church, so I believe that is why she is Athiest - as she is actually a baptised Catholic. But perhaps I am wrong, and if I am I will apologise to her.

I am a baptised Catholic and while I believe in some of the stuff in the Catholic Bible (mainly the 10 commandments, I think that if everyone lived by them we would live in a much more peaceful world), I also believe that it is a story and should be taken with a grain of salt. When my younger sister fell ill my mum and I turned to Buddhism. For some reason we found that this seemed to be the religion for us, especially during this tough time, and although that time is long gone, I still do attend some meetings and if I am feeling really upset I will do some chanting. However, when I am at school (I attend a Catholic school), I will go to masses and I do go to mass every Good Friday and Christmas Eve and I do also believe in God.

Perhaps I don't believe in a specific God, but in my mind, there is something greater then us out there, be it Buddha, Jesus, God etc. and if there is anything up there, I'm sure they wouldn't mind if we turned to someone else, or didn't turn to anyone at all.

One thing I DO NOT like however, is people trying to force their opinions onto others. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and all these wars etc. to me seem pointless.

Sorry if this was long , but yeah :)

Hello ellennify :bye:

It's good that you are open-minded about things. Don't worry about your friend's motivation. Lots of young people "try out" different views on all sorts of things - religion, politics, music - to see how they feel, until their views finally settle down.

I don't believe in God.

A god who creates so mùany wars and dead in his name cannot exist.

But I don't want to be an "Atheist" it's too restictive.

Music is my religion, Jimy Hendrix is a god, Bob Marley is a god, John Lennon is a god, Mika is a god, Matthew Bellamy is a god...

Everyone who does womething I love is a god.

(It's a joke between me and my friend. And everyday I say "Oh he is a god !")

You cant say that .. there is a difference between god and man .. man has its own will , god didnt "create" wars

You cant say that .. there is a difference between god and man .. man has its own will , god didnt "create" wars

I thought God was supposed to have created everything?:blink:

I agree you can't worship people - not even Mika is a god (he comes close though - makes a good :angel_not: and he's a bit of a :kaf:)

i dont' really trust in God but i'm sure there is some angels who care for us .

my dad is dead long time ago and i still believe he cares for my child and me every single day...

my daddy is my God.

i don't know if somebody understand me !

it's my belief...

i dont' really trust in God but i'm sure there is some angels who care for us .

my dad is dead long time ago and i still believe he cares for my child and me every single day...

my daddy is my God.

i don't know if somebody understand me !

it's my belief...

:huglove: It's lovely that your father lives on in your memory :thumb_yello: