Pam Travers

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

atheism in UE

mapreligionf24fd2d60e70.jpg

That's interesting. And lower % in the UK than I'd have thought.....

:teehee:

1242596154819343.jpg

I've got nothing against Mika

It's his Fan Club I can't stand!!!!:roftl::roftl::roftl::roftl:

That's interesting. And lower % in the UK than I'd have thought.....

I think a lot of brits just don't think about religion - they certainly don't go to church much. But if asked, they say C of E because they went to a CofE school, and the Queen is in charge, which is quite cosy really.

Well - at least that's how I was brought up :naughty:

I think a lot of brits just don't think about religion - they certainly don't go to church much. But if asked, they say C of E because they went to a CofE school, and the Queen is in charge, which is quite cosy really.

Well - at least that's how I was brought up :naughty:

I'm sure you're right both about people saying C of E and about people not thinking about religion.

I kind of thought that my aetheism would mellow as I got old, but it hasn't. At a Christening recently, my b-i-l said quietly in a pew behind me that it was all a load of b******* and I found myself agreeing whereas I would have kept my mouth shut out of respect for believers. And far more people are speaking out publicly against religion (well, Christianity anyway)

I'm pretty sure that it's the same here where people just don't think much about religion, and don't take the time to really find out what they actually believe. They seem to be christian mostly by tradition.

My father is even like that. He admits that he doesn't believe in a god, but he won't call himself an atheist.

The norwegian numbers are probably also very wrong because of how they handled the member lists in 1998. They basically listed every person in the country (who wasn't a member of another religion) as members. And it's also a hassle to get your name crossed from that list.

Interesting article

http://media-newswire.com/release_1104755.html

I particularly like the statement "Absence of evidence for God is, indeed, evidence of absence when the evidence should be there

and is not." :thumb_yello:

Love it :thumb_yello::naughty:

Indeed :)

But some would say the evidence is everywhere in everything.

Ah, they do say it (I've had this discussion with many believers) but the thing is: in order to make such a statement, they need to provide proof. Which they can't.

Which brings us back to the above mentioned statement by Nectar....

Ah, they do say it (I've had this discussion with many believers) but the thing is: in order to make such a statement, they need to provide proof. Which they can't.

Which brings us back to the above mentioned statement by Nectar....

I tend to say 'if you want to call everything that is here God's work, God's creation, then OK.' But that hardly constitutes a personal God to take an interest in you however long or hard you pray!

I tend to say 'if you want to call everything that is here God's work, God's creation, then OK.' But that hardly constitutes a personal God to take an interest in you however long or hard you pray!

Everything around us has developed over time by the process of evolution - the evidence is there :thumb_yello: No creator necessary or desirable :thumb_yello:

Finger crossed :thumb_yello:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6509648/Former-head-of-BBC-calls-for-atheists-on-Radio-4-God-Slot.html

"Lord Harrison opened the debate by saying that the BBC had given a platform to Nick Griffin, the leader of the British National Party, but "we humanists are still denied even a walk-on part on Thought for the Day".

Everything around us has developed over time by the process of evolution - the evidence is there :thumb_yello: No creator necessary or desirable :thumb_yello:

Exactly! Well said.

Years ago, I used to sort of humour believers when they went on about that whilst we discussed these things, but I have long stopped doing that and now I just stop them in their tracks when they start carrying on like that.

I noticed that even though I was trying to be nice, accommodating and understanding, they wouldn't do the same, and would rather try and push and shove their irrational beliefs down my throat, as if it was all a Higher Truth which I should just accept blindly.

Now I just tell things are they are. If they go on about creation, I don't say "fine, that is your belief". I actually say that the evidence is there to negate their ideas.

Exactly! Well said.

Years ago, I used to sort of humour believers when they went on about that whilst we discussed these things, but I have long stopped doing that and now I just stop them in their tracks when they start carrying on like that.

I noticed that even though I was trying to be nice, accommodating and understanding, they wouldn't do the same, and would rather try and push and shove their irrational beliefs down my throat, as if it was all a Higher Truth which I should just accept blindly.

Now I just tell things are they are. If they go on about creation, I don't say "fine, that is your belief". I actually say that the evidence is there to negate their ideas.

That is what Richard Dawkins does in his book,"The God Delusion" He makes the case for not "humouring" religious beliefs very well.

That is what Richard Dawkins does in his book,"The God Delusion" He makes the case for not "humouring" religious beliefs very well.

Yeah, I really like him!

He's the one who also did "God is not great", right?

I do agree. I am guilty of humouring the believers out of some misplaced sense of respect......

Exactly! Well said.

.... but it is true. They don't respect my views.

Finger crossed :thumb_yello:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6509648/Former-head-of-BBC-calls-for-atheists-on-Radio-4-God-Slot.html

"Lord Harrison opened the debate by saying that the BBC had given a platform to Nick Griffin, the leader of the British National Party, but "we humanists are still denied even a walk-on part on Thought for the Day".

And do you listen to thought for the day?

Sometimes they suck me in with some quite perceptive point and they negate it all with the God twaddle. And people with far more education and life experiences than me. I don't get it.

I do agree. I am guilty of humouring the believers out of some misplaced sense of respect......

.... but it is true. They don't respect my views.

And do you listen to thought for the day?

Sometimes they suck me in with some quite perceptive point and they negate it all with the God twaddle. And people with far more education and life experiences than me. I don't get it.

I must admit i never listen to it :blush-anim-cl: i occasionally hear the god spot on Wogan, about 9:15am. I usually cringe when they go on about god :aah:

It amazes me, and worries me, that so many apparently intelligent people spend their whole lives fretting about something that doesn't exist. :boxed: and arguing the finer points of beliefs based on old books. And when this translates into bullying people who don't agree with them, or, worse still violence and war, I despair. It's all so unnecessary and pointless :aah:

It amazes me, and worries me, that so many apparently intelligent people spend their whole lives fretting about something that doesn't exist. :boxed: and arguing the finer points of beliefs based on old books. And when this translates into bullying people who don't agree with them, or, worse still violence and war, I despair. It's all so unnecessary and pointless :aah:

Religion is just an excuse for the violence and war so if it wasn't religion it would be something else. Humans seem to love categorizing themselves and others into ingroups and outgroups.

The same tensions will be caused by differences in politics, race, language, class...official fan forums...:fisch: