Any atheists ?

Pam Travers

You cant say that .. there is a difference between god and man .. man has its own will , god didnt "create" wars

I think that Human creates God, for create hope.

A god is someone who creates hope.

That's all.

But if god exists, I passed 4 years in a catholic school, they all saying that he chose for us, a little bit like sims, so he decides of wars, he decides of deaths, he decides of ilness, he decides of everything.

I reject it, it's too simple to say "i can't do anything, god will."

I reject all these deaths in his name.

"What more in the name of god ?" U2 - Pride.

For me, the best is to believe in ourselves, if we want peace, and if we try hard, then peace will be. And it works for everything.

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's all.

But if god exists, I passed 4 years in a catholic school, they all saying that he chose for us, a little bit like sims, so he decides of wars, he decides of deaths, he decides of ilness, he decides of everything.

For me, the best is to believe in ourselves, if we want peace, and if we try hard, then peace will be. And it works for everything.

Sims :roftl::roftl:

My whole view on religion has now changed:aah:

That's all.

That is pretty close to what the humanists believe - trust in ourselves to find solutions to problems, through rational thought and research, not reliance on myths and dodgy translations of archaic books :thumb_yello:

[/b]

That is pretty close to what the humanists believe - trust in ourselves to find solutions to problems, through rational thought and research, not reliance on myths and dodgy translations of archaic books :thumb_yello:

This is actually not true about the bible ... ok so there is some contridiction but far from being made up on an unknown planet ..

There isnt one scrap of evidence both what has been discovered and also through history to disprove .. true

Jesus was far far from a myth ...

Without question a man called Jesus was on the earth , what he did needs "faith" , that has not been proven yet

This is actually not true about the bible ... ok so there is some contridiction but far from being made up on an unknown planet ..

There isnt one scrap of evidence both what has been discovered and also through history to disprove .. true

Jesus was far far from a myth ...

Without question a man called Jesus was on the earth , what he did needs "faith" , that has not been proven yet

Non of this matters if you choose to ignore it like humanists do. They don't "argue" with the bible - where it came from, if it's true etc. which is open to debate - they simply ignore it. As do the hindus, buddhists, muslims etc who have their own traditions.

I don't have to prove the bible is wrong - I can just ignore it :original:

Non of this matters if you choose to ignore it like humanists do. They don't "argue" with the bible - where it came from, if it's true etc. which is open to debate - they simply ignore it. As do the hindus, buddhists, muslims etc who have their own traditions.

I don't have to prove the bible is wrong - I can just ignore it :original:

Yes true true ...

I think the overall "do good and love" comes into it a lot , thats the basics of all religions:thumb_yello:

Yes true true ...

I think the overall "do good and love" comes into it a lot , thats the basics of all religions:thumb_yello:

I think it's called the "Golden Rule" - a common thread through all religions

From Wikepedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Rule_%28ethics%29

"Humanism

See also: Humanism

Many different websites include the Golden Rule as a humanist principle though for humanists other principles count as well. [26][27][28] Below is an example giving a humanist interpretion of the Golden Rule.

“ Trying to live according to the Golden Rule means trying to empathise with other people, including those who may be very different from us. Empathy is at the root of kindness, compassion, understanding and respect – qualities that we all appreciate being shown, whoever we are, whatever we think and wherever we come from. And although it isn’t possible to know what it really feels like to be a different person or live in different circumstances and have different life experiences, it isn’t difficult for most of us to imagine what would cause us suffering and to try to avoid causing suffering to others. For this reason many people find the Golden Rule’s corollary – “do not treat people in a way you would not wish to be treated yourself” – more pragmatic. [29]"

We are not what you think we are. We are Golden :biggrin2:

"Trying to live according to the Golden Rule means trying to empathise with other people, including those who may be very different from us. Empathy is at the root of kindness, compassion, understanding and respect – qualities that we all appreciate being shown, whoever we are, whatever we think and wherever we come from. And although it isn’t possible to know what it really feels like to be a different person or live in different circumstances and have different life experiences, it isn’t difficult for most of us to imagine what would cause us suffering and to try to avoid causing suffering to others. For this reason many people find the Golden Rule’s corollary – “do not treat people in a way you would not wish to be treated yourself” – more pragmatic. [29]"

We are not what you think we are. We are Golden :biggrin2:

I'll go along with this :)

That's all.

To me, that is what it's all about. People create or believe the idea of God and an after life, in order to cope with life. Some people need this more than others, hence the ones who (like myself) are happy to go along with this life not needing to know that there is something else after it, and others who can't fathom that idea and need to belive that there will be some other life once they die...It's a matter of personal need, no more than that.

And re the bible and its veracity/validity.... Please let's not go there :roftl:

We'd be debating here for years, but the only clear fact about it is that nothing in it which can be proved, can be taken as enough evidence to sustain the idea of a deity.

To me, that is what it's all about. People create or believe the idea of God and an after life, in order to cope with life. Some people need this more than others, hence the ones who (like myself) are happy to go along with this life not needing to know that there is something else after it, and others who can't fathom that idea and need to belive that there will be some other life once they die...It's a matter of personal need, no more than that.

And re the bible and its veracity/validity.... Please let's not go there :roftl:

We'd be debating here for years, but the only clear fact about it is that nothing in it which can be proved, can be taken as enough evidence to sustain the idea of a deity.

I agree with you.

But i'm really scared of what happen after our deaths.

So I tried to learn more about Catholic believes about this, God is supposed to guide us in heaven if we were good, or in hell if we were bad.

I'm sure it's not that.

"Mama, we all go to hell" (MCR - Mama)

We are all bad. Even the pope...

I looked for other religions but it's the same.

So, I really think about my grand-ma I miss her so much, I prefer believe we are helping people we love, after our deaths.

That's a very sensitive subject for me.

Religion has always been something that I can't understand, I can't choose, I have so much questions It's impossible.

I once had another theory about good & bad...

I don't how to explain the fact we are here, why are we here, on earth ?

"You can't prove there's no God, no fairies, no leprechauns, or that Thor or Apollo don't exist. There's got to be a positive reason to think that fairies exist. Until somebody does, we can say technically we are agnostic about fairies. We can't disprove them, but we think it's a bit of a waste of time trying. And the same goes for God."

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/11/25/darwin.dawkins.evolution/

:thumb_yello:

Thanks - that's very interesting :thumb_yello: My belief in god didn't survive my belief in Santa either :teehee:

:shocked:Santa's not real?! :sad:

:mf_rosetinted:

No, but seriously, my sister is making me feel guilty for loving Christmas. She won't leave me alone about it. Why can't I love decorating the tree, singing Christmas songs,baking gingerbread cookies with my mom, and exchanging gifts with the people I love? It has more to do with family traditions and upbringing more than anything else. Maybe I am wrong. :dunno: Still,she can't judge me. She doesn't celebrate Christmas in a religious context either.:sneaky2:

No, but seriously, my sister is making me feel guilty for loving Christmas. She won't leave me alone about it. Why can't I love decorating the tree, singing Christmas songs,baking gingerbread cookies with my mom, and exchanging gifts with the people I love? It has more to do with family traditions and upbringing more than anything else. Maybe I am wrong. :dunno:

I don't think you're wrong at all. My family has never been religious and I have been a strong atheist since I was 8 years old (just like my hero Ricky Gervais :fangurl:) but we all still celebrate Christmas. It's just a strong English/Canadian cultural tradition and has little to do with Christianity in my mind.

I have never understood why people of faith get so offended and defensive when someone disagrees with their beliefs. If your beliefs can't withstand the challenge of others' opinions then they aren't beliefs worth holding as far as I'm concerned.

The same is true if you're not religious. Celebrating Christmas shouldn't be a problem if you are firm in what you believe (or don't believe).

I don't think you're wrong at all. My family has never been religious and I have been a strong atheist since I was 8 years old (just like my hero Ricky Gervais :fangurl:) but we all still celebrate Christmas. It's just a strong English/Canadian cultural tradition and has little to do with Christianity in my mind.

I have never understood why people of faith get so offended and defensive when someone disagrees with their beliefs. If your beliefs can't withstand the challenge of others' opinions then they aren't beliefs worth holding as far as I'm concerned.

The same is true if you're not religious. Celebrating Christmas shouldn't be a problem if you are firm in what you believe (or don't believe).

Good, that makes me feel better. :biggrin2: The only person who seems to have a problem with my love for Christmas is my oldest sister. She is very religious. She only visits around the holidays and she never really tries to get to know me. She never asks about my life or shows any interest in me simply because I have never shown an interest in Christianity. Every time she sees me she asks, "Are you ready to find Jesus,Katelyn?" When I say no, she usually gives me the cold shoulder for the rest of her visit until my parents get mad at her and she is forced to pretend like she cares. :boxed:

Sorry for the rant. :naughty: It's just that I had to deal with this on Thanksgiving, and I'm still upset.

Good, that makes me feel better. :biggrin2: The only person who seems to have a problem with my love for Christmas is my oldest sister. She is very religious. She only visits around the holidays and she never really tries to get to know me. She never asks about my life or shows any interest in me simply because I have never shown an interest in Christianity. Every time she sees me she asks, "Are you ready to find Jesus,Katelyn?" When I say no, she usually gives me the cold shoulder for the rest of her visit until my parents get mad at her and she is forced to pretend like she cares. :boxed:

Sorry for the rant. :naughty: It's just that I had to deal with this on Thanksgiving, and I'm still upset.

:huglove: That's tough :sad: I though Christians were supposed to be charitable? and how is she going to convert you by being mean and nasty and spoiling family occasions?

As for celebrating christmas - it has traditions dating way back before Christianity hikacked it. There will always need to be festivities in the middle of winter in the northern hemisphere - it's the only way to cope with all that darkness and bad weather :thumb_yello:

:huglove: That's tough :sad: I though Christians were supposed to be charitable? and how is she going to convert you by being mean and nasty and spoiling family occasions?

As for celebrating christmas - it has traditions dating way back before Christianity hikacked it. There will always need to be festivities in the middle of winter in the northern hemisphere - it's the only way to cope with all that darkness and bad weather :thumb_yello:

It is odd that people who profess deeply held religious convictions aren't always very nice at all. And in my book, 'nice' beats 'believer' every time.

And ditto about midwinter celebtrations.

One today, for example, would have been welcome!

I think this is my biggest issue , we really believe the human body was made from two bits of rock?

I mean the concept of a man sitting on a cloud is hard to take but evolution is just as much!

But again, that is not necessarily what we believe. We don't have any proper research in this area, so we don't know.

And how life started on earth has nothing to do with the theory of evolution.

Exactly. Lots of older cultures celebrated some from of new year's celebration around this time of year, and to put christmas around the same time eased the transition from their religion to christianity. I just read an article about christmas traditions here and it's relationship to christianity, and apparently people were still drinking to the god Odin during christmas/yule a couple of hundred years after the first attempt to christen the country.