• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's how to "undo" it :naughty:

http://www.secularism.org.uk/debaptism.html

and an article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7941817.stm

:thumb_yello:

This sounds a bit too angry for me. My parents had me Christened, presumably because they believed that there would be problems if I died as a baby and they didn't want that for me. They also told me about the tooth fairy and Father Christmas. I bear them no ill will for any of that. Luckily I was brought up as a Methodist and one of the things about that is that you are not confirmed into the church until you are old enough to make your own decisions. So I chose not to confirm my membership of the church, not to undo the original rite.

This sounds a bit too angry for me. My parents had me Christened, presumably because they believed that there would be problems if I died as a baby and they didn't want that for me. They also told me about the tooth fairy and Father Christmas. I bear them no ill will for any of that. Luckily I was brought up as a Methodist and one of the things about that is that you are not confirmed into the church until you are old enough to make your own decisions. So I chose not to confirm my membership of the church, not to undo the original rite.

Yes I don't understand it. To me atheism is a lack of belief. It's got nothing to do with Christianity or any other religion. I could be baptized or not baptized. If you don't believe in any of it it's meaningless so I don't see the need to worry about it one way or another.

Of course I was never baptized and was never forced to reject Christianity so maybe I'd feel differently in different circumstances.

Here's how to "undo" it :naughty:

http://www.secularism.org.uk/debaptism.html

and an article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7941817.stm

:thumb_yello:

Thanks Naect, this is interesting. The links that you posted led me to this one:

http://www.secularism.org.uk/spanishmayordemandshisbaptismbea.html

And this is certainly something that I will look into. I tried speaking to the Church (Spanish Catholic) many years ago to request my removal from their records as a catholic, but they just refused.

This gives me new hope, and I shall certainly go for it.

It depends on the situation I guess. I was also baptised as a baby, hence in the same circumstances as you. However, later on I was forced to go to cathequesis and get the communion and confirmation (all these against my will, which I expressed at the time quite strongly).

The problem is that, despite my protests, and even though I made these to the priests themselves who were carrying out the procedures, I was just not taken seriously and forced to carry on with it. Good old Catholic Church, aye, sooo kind and pious :naughty:.

So yes, in my case I am angry, and I feel that I have the right to 'undo' this wrong, as it was very clearly forced on me. It was a long, draw out battle, that only ended when at the age of 17 I finally managed to break free, but the damage had already been done a long time before that.

It just goes to show how different situations can affect one's feelings towards a particular event :wink2:.

Edited by sariflor

Yes I don't understand it. To me atheism is a lack of belief. It's got nothing to do with Christianity or any other religion. I could be baptized or not baptized. If you don't believe in any of it it's meaningless so I don't see the need to worry about it one way or another.

Of course I was never baptized and was never forced to reject Christianity so maybe I'd feel differently in different circumstances.

Thanks Naect, this is interesting. The links that you posted led me to this one:

http://www.secularism.org.uk/spanishmayordemandshisbaptismbea.html

And this is certainly something that I will look into. I tried speaking to the Church (Spanish Catholic) many years ago to request my removal from their records as a catholic, but they just refused.

This gives me new hope, and I shall certainly go for it.

It depends on the situation I guess. I was also baptised as a baby, hence in the same circumstances as you. However, later on I was forced to go to cathequesis and get the communion and confirmation (all these against my will, which I expressed at the time quite strongly).

The problem is that, despite my protests, and even though I made these to the priests themselves who were carrying out the procedures, I was just not taken seriously and forced to carry on with it. Good old Catholic Church, aye, sooo kind and pious :naughty:.

So yes, in my case I am angry, and I feel that I have the right to 'undo' this wrong, as it was very clearly forced on me. It was a long, draw out battle, that only ended when at the age of 17 I finally managed to break free, but the damage had already been done a long time before that.

It just goes to show how different situations can affect one's feelings towards a particular event :wink2:.

I tend to agree that it's best to ignore the issue than fight against it - if you were too young, or even forced, then it is simply meaningless. I was amused by the idea - it had never occurred to me to want to "undo" my CofE christening. Probably because after my christening, I didn't have a lot to do with going to church, except at school for Christmas and Easter :naughty:

If you are angry at being forced, the certificate is a harmless and funny way to make the point :thumb_yello:

• 3 months later...
:biggrin2: I love that.

My mom still thinks I'm gonna be baptized. :blink: She just doesn't get it.

It's tough when your family have expectations :huglove: I am lucky - my family are anglicans in theory, but don't go to church, so I never had pressure.

It's tough when your family have expectations :huglove: I am lucky - my family are anglicans in theory, but don't go to church, so I never had pressure.

Yeah, sometimes I think my mom lives in her own world. She always says that I'm just confused because of my older brother's influence. :sneaky2: Oh, well, at least she doesn't think I'm evil like some of my others family members do.(I have a cousin who is always trying to "save my soul from evil.":blush-anim-cl:) I think she will accept it eventually. :thumb_yello:

One more atheist commin to town...

Yeah, sometimes I think my mom lives in her own world. She always says that I'm just confused because of my older brother's influence. :sneaky2: Oh, well, at least she doesn't think I'm evil like some of my others family members do.(I have a cousin who is always trying to "save my soul from evil.":blush-anim-cl:) I think she will accept it eventually. :thumb_yello:

Welcome, Dark Angel :bye: join the happy band :thumb_yello:

lala_lollies44 - you can leave your mum in hope, for now - she can't push the baptism thing if she knows you are not committed - and in time you will grow up and become independent and it will be easier :thumb_yello:

edit: It's just occured to me you may already be 37, and your mum just doesn't know when to give up :teehee:

lala_lollies44 - you can leave your mum in hope, for now - she can't push the baptism thing if she knows you are not committed - and in time you will grow up and become independent and it will be easier :thumb_yello:

edit: It's just occured to me you may already be 37, and your mum just doesn't know when to give up :teehee:

:roftl: Don't worry, I'm not 37, I'm 17! :teehee: I hope you're right.

One more atheist commin to town...

Welcome to town then :naughty:

:roftl: Don't worry, I'm not 37, I'm 17! :teehee: I hope you're right.

Well, hopefully she will accept that you are an adult soon, with your own views....

Mine was the Methodist church and they don't confirm you at such a young age as other protestant and the RC churches. So I was old enough to say no and they had to listen.

Funnily enough I now go to my Conversational French class there and it evokes memories of hiding in the toilet till the service started then slipping out of the back door :roftl:

I tend to agree that it's best to ignore the issue than fight against it - if you were too young, or even forced, then it is simply meaningless. I was amused by the idea - it had never occurred to me to want to "undo" my CofE christening. Probably because after my christening, I didn't have a lot to do with going to church, except at school for Christmas and Easter :naughty:

If you are angry at being forced, the certificate is a harmless and funny way to make the point :thumb_yello:

Yes, anything that's carried out against your will becomes meaningless.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
dont know , was just wondering, since my grandma, my friends and i are...if there was a lot of them here.

The only thing I think of is science and that we all live in an opposite world (that we all have our own idea of how the world looks like, etc.).

But there is nothing called "god" the world (from my point of view) is to cruel.

• 2 months later...