The world must be saved from gays?

babspanky

The Pope said this!

I find this unbelievable and bizarre!

What happened to Christian charity and goodwill to all men?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7797269.stm

Speaking on Monday, Pope Benedict said that saving humanity from homosexual or transsexual behaviour was as important as protecting the environment.

I don't want to upset any devout people, but, well I am speechless.

I am surprised no one has commented on this already!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pope said this!

Speaking on Monday, Pope Benedict said that saving humanity from homosexual or transsexual behaviour was as important as protecting the environment.

Hahaha the guy reading this story this morning said "and the pope says that saving the homosexuals is as important as saving the rainforests"

But that's no joke, it's really horrible and it's things like this that really can put people off God.

:rolleyes: see, this is EXACTLY why i'm not catholic. no offence intended, but when the pope says things like that then he scares so many people away; i personally think that we should be aware are share our faith but not command people what to do.

i think we should let what be, be and let god sort it out on judgement day

:rolleyes: see, this is EXACTLY why i'm not catholic. no offence intended, but when the pope says things like that then he scares so many people away; i personally think that we should be aware are share our faith but not command people what to do.

i think we should let what be, be and let god sort it out on judgement day

Hah, in our church (christian) we believe in an eaqual chance for everyone regardless. But mention anything Catholic and WOW :D

Again, no offense intended ;)

The Pope said this!

It’s Christmas Eve, the big day for celebration in my country and I’m too busy to even be here let alone even try to think in English, but…what the pope said is hurtful and so wrong.

It’s hard to not react even if I’m hesitant to give him more attention than he deserve. Maybe the best thing to do would “put a lid on the whole statement,” “keep silent until its death,” sorry I don’t know the English expression but I hope you know what I mean!

There are places in this world were people are not allowed to make statements like that in public.

The history has proved that there is not common sense and intellectuality that characterize the people who have a big influence on other people, for example politicians and religious leaders.

And here you go... another obvious example!

Hah, in our church (christian) we believe in an eaqual chance for everyone regardless. But mention anything Catholic and WOW :D

Again, no offense intended ;)

what are you doing up in the middle of the night? *wags finger* LOL

It’s Christmas Eve, the big day for celebration in my country and I’m too busy to even be here let alone even try to think in English, but…what the pope said is hurtful and so wrong.

It’s hard to not react even if I’m hesitant to give him more attention than he deserve. Maybe the best thing to do would “put a lid on the whole statement,” “keep silent until its death,” sorry I don’t know the English expression but I hope you know what I mean!

There are places in this world were people are not allowed to make statements like that in public.

The history has proved that there is not common sense and intellectuality that characterize the people who have a big influence on other people, for example politicians and religious leaders.

you make total sense. very well put :thumb_yello:

what are you doing up in the middle of the night? *wags finger* LOL

you make total sense. very well put :thumb_yello:

Pfft, you can hardly talk :D

You know what, whenever I see that you're the one posting (I only look at the name not the picture) the pic of the white horse has etched itself into my head so now I see a mental image of that horse talking to me, saying YOUR words!

LOL you're a talking horse :D

Yeah, I should go to bed^^ :D

Pfft, you can hardly talk :D

You know what, whenever I see that you're the one posting (I only look at the name not the picture) the pic of the white horse has etched itself into my head so now I see a mental image of that horse talking to me, saying YOUR words!

LOL you're a talking horse :D

Yeah, I should go to bed^^ :D

:lmfao: :lmfao: :lmao::floor:

you're wonderful. seriously.

*changes avatar*

I'm sorry: this is the only comment I'm going to post here cos it only makes me more and more mad to think about the absolute ignorance, hypocrisy, self-righteousness and simple WRONGfulness of what he said. What world is he living in? How is this supposed to be a "Christian" message? I'm outraged. But to be honest I'm going to focus on other things; this is just an ignorant man, and I'm glad to see that people have reacted strongly. This is unacceptable and I hope that nobody else in the church agrees with him.

Sorry for the rant; needed to let it out!!

I do believe media have blown up everything a bit but since I've never been a fan or our present pope and his predecessors (altho I was raised as a catholic), it just makes me giggle. And because we should laugh at this whole story and not let it upset us, I wanted to share this article, written by a gay columnist, which is very witty and made me laugh :naughty:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/dec/23/pope-benedict-xvi-gayrights

When you are gay, you learn to handle the pontifications of religious leaders on homosexuality with care. The thing to watch is that it doesn't get under your skin. If, unwittingly, you do take it too much to heart, it can ruin your day. And if it ruins too many days, then it ruins your life.

Being gay is about your love life. Gay men and women aren't people who perform certain acts; they are people who love in certain ways. The L-word is never mentioned by those who condemn homosexuality. I suspect that they don't talk about homosexuality as a form of loving because if they did, their arguments would fall away. For what is life without love? No life. And that is, in effect, the no-life they are asking gay men and women to lead. To declare love as a whole section of humanity experiences it as simply deviant (or worse) is about as fundamental an attack on a human being as there can be.

The paradox is that you'd think that Christian leaders, above all others, would realise that. After all, it is they who declare that God is love: "God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them." (1 John 4:16.) They may excuse their opinions by saying they are challenging the sin not the sinner, or the practice not the orientation, or by some other such sophistical formula. But the truth is that writing off all gay love makes about as much sense as writing off all heterosexual love.

Sure, some attempts at loving are not healthy. That is the case for everyone, and gays arguably know it more than most, since we have to work at our loving. We receive precious little help in that, and we make our mistakes. But we do it as part of that lifelong effort called learning to love – which is also called learning to be human.

It's not entirely clear what the pope actually said this time: some of the reporting of his comments seems rather overblown. That's the Christmas silly season for you. However, it's pretty clear he thinks homosexuality nothing less than a calamitous disaster for the human race. It is as if homosexuality were as infectious as the common cold. Soon everyone will be sneezing. What kind of fantasies about homosexuality does that imply?

It's also pretty clear that he thinks homosexuality unnatural. He paints a monochrome picture of the relationships between man and woman. Man looks like this; woman looks like that. Together they should look like the Joseph, Mary and Jesus on a million sentimental Christmas cards – putting to one side the fact that they weren't married and he was illegitimate. But if the pope won't take a lead from the Bible, in which I don't think there is a single example of a stable nuclear family, he might actually turn to nature and read about our evolutionary cousins, the bonobos. The primatologist Frans de Waal describes their loving in moving tones in his book Our Inner Ape.

"The French kiss is the bonobo's most recognizable, humanlike erotic act. Whenever I show an undergraduate class a film of my bonobos, the students get very quiet. They will watch all sorts of sexual intercourse, but invariably the deepest impression is made by a video clip of two juvenile males tongue-kissing."

If only De Waal could show that clip in the Vatican. I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

Talking of living naturally, it is tempting to wonder whether the pope reflects on his own lifestyle. He lives in a small city-state, ruled and in large part populated by celibate men. That hardly seems natural. I suspect that this is why most Catholics take virtually no notice of his teaching on sexual matters. Would you take advice on how to cook your turkey from a strict vegetarian?

So my advice to my fellow homosexuals who today pick up their paper, or go online, and read that the pope has aligned their gayness with nothing less than the destruction of the human race, is this: hand him the rope. To be frank, he just looks silly. Don't let his silliness get under your skin.

Wow! Good article Niki. Puts a better perspective on what the Pope did or didn't say.

In my little world and the people I know, no one gives a toss about others' sexuality, so to hear a high profile person like the Pope being quoted saying things like this sounded outrageous to me.

Sorry to say, but it reminds me why I don't go in for religion in a big way.

Wow! Good article Niki. Puts a better perspective on what the Pope did or didn't say.

In my little world and the people I know, no one gives a toss about others' sexuality, so to hear a high profile person like the Pope being quoted saying things like this sounded outrageous to me.

Sorry to say, but it reminds me why I don't go in for religion in a big way.

In my world, people don't care either,altho I spent 12 years in a very strict catholic school, where we had priests as teachers, who told us that all religions were messages of love and hope, and that we should be taught how to take the best of them and not care about what some ignorants made of them. I think it's true for many things in life. I am not religious, I don't go to church, but I still believe in most catholic virtues, and it condemns replying to hate by hate so just like the author of the article, I rather laugh at these idiot things the pope and some old guard people say rather than dissing them, because after all, I feel a bit sorry for them being so narrow minded ;)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NJqX7osGX4U

It's in Dutch but whatever, it's nice.

These guys have been together for over 18 years now and yesterday they got married.

Serious Request is a charity drive, 3 DJ's on the radio 24 hours a day for 6 days straight, locked in a glass house without food to raise money.

They're getting out in an hour. :mf_rosetinted:

Well what a great way to start my day isnt ? lol

I am gay and im strongly Catholic so its always like a mixed emotions when church states stuff like that or when people said your going to hell to me. I just dont think people now we are biolagically programmed that way and its something to do with the the hypothalamus gland (responsible of sex hormones in a human body ), did you know gay hypothalamus are similar to the one of a women ? that would explain why gay people like boys rather than girls, is bure Biology and Science

Oh by the way im writing a mini book about a gay teen who struggles with life and society. Its called

"Forgive me Father for I have sinned"

I got the first chapter and im stuck int he second one !

Well said!

I do believe media have blown up everything a bit but since I've never been a fan or our present pope and his predecessors (altho I was raised as a catholic), it just makes me giggle. And because we should laugh at this whole story and not let it upset us, I wanted to share this article, written by a gay columnist, which is very witty and made me laugh :naughty:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/dec/23/pope-benedict-xvi-gayrights

When you are gay, you learn to handle the pontifications of religious leaders on homosexuality with care. The thing to watch is that it doesn't get under your skin. If, unwittingly, you do take it too much to heart, it can ruin your day. And if it ruins too many days, then it ruins your life.

Being gay is about your love life. Gay men and women aren't people who perform certain acts; they are people who love in certain ways. The L-word is never mentioned by those who condemn homosexuality. I suspect that they don't talk about homosexuality as a form of loving because if they did, their arguments would fall away. For what is life without love? No life. And that is, in effect, the no-life they are asking gay men and women to lead. To declare love as a whole section of humanity experiences it as simply deviant (or worse) is about as fundamental an attack on a human being as there can be.

The paradox is that you'd think that Christian leaders, above all others, would realise that. After all, it is they who declare that God is love: "God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them." (1 John 4:16.) They may excuse their opinions by saying they are challenging the sin not the sinner, or the practice not the orientation, or by some other such sophistical formula. But the truth is that writing off all gay love makes about as much sense as writing off all heterosexual love.

Sure, some attempts at loving are not healthy. That is the case for everyone, and gays arguably know it more than most, since we have to work at our loving. We receive precious little help in that, and we make our mistakes. But we do it as part of that lifelong effort called learning to love – which is also called learning to be human.

It's not entirely clear what the pope actually said this time: some of the reporting of his comments seems rather overblown. That's the Christmas silly season for you. However, it's pretty clear he thinks homosexuality nothing less than a calamitous disaster for the human race. It is as if homosexuality were as infectious as the common cold. Soon everyone will be sneezing. What kind of fantasies about homosexuality does that imply?

It's also pretty clear that he thinks homosexuality unnatural. He paints a monochrome picture of the relationships between man and woman. Man looks like this; woman looks like that. Together they should look like the Joseph, Mary and Jesus on a million sentimental Christmas cards – putting to one side the fact that they weren't married and he was illegitimate. But if the pope won't take a lead from the Bible, in which I don't think there is a single example of a stable nuclear family, he might actually turn to nature and read about our evolutionary cousins, the bonobos. The primatologist Frans de Waal describes their loving in moving tones in his book Our Inner Ape.

"The French kiss is the bonobo's most recognizable, humanlike erotic act. Whenever I show an undergraduate class a film of my bonobos, the students get very quiet. They will watch all sorts of sexual intercourse, but invariably the deepest impression is made by a video clip of two juvenile males tongue-kissing."

If only De Waal could show that clip in the Vatican. I'd love to be a fly on the wall.

Talking of living naturally, it is tempting to wonder whether the pope reflects on his own lifestyle. He lives in a small city-state, ruled and in large part populated by celibate men. That hardly seems natural. I suspect that this is why most Catholics take virtually no notice of his teaching on sexual matters. Would you take advice on how to cook your turkey from a strict vegetarian?

So my advice to my fellow homosexuals who today pick up their paper, or go online, and read that the pope has aligned their gayness with nothing less than the destruction of the human race, is this: hand him the rope. To be frank, he just looks silly. Don't let his silliness get under your skin.

I agree with the writer. Great article.

You would expect from someone like the pope that they wouldn't care about homosexuality! He is a big man. He influences the thoughts of millions of people. I'm so glad I'm not catholic. Uuurgh.

You would expect from someone like the pope (Christians are always willing to help other people blablabla, respect other people blabla) that HE wouldn't be like this. Things like this really dissapoint me.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NJqX7osGX4U

It's in Dutch but whatever, it's nice.

These guys have been together for over 18 years now and yesterday they got married.

Serious Request is a charity drive, 3 DJ's on the radio 24 hours a day for 6 days straight, locked in a glass house without food to raise money.

They're getting out in an hour. :mf_rosetinted:

Oh yeah, I watched that on tv! I think it's amazing! This is what makes Holland so cool!:naughty:

Well what a great way to start my day isnt ? lol

I am gay and im strongly Catholic so its always like a mixed emotions when church states stuff like that or when people said your going to hell to me. I just dont think people now we are biolagically programmed that way and its something to do with the the hypothalamus gland (responsible of sex hormones in a human body ), did you know gay hypothalamus are similar to the one of a women ? that would explain why gay people like boys rather than girls, is bure Biology and Science

Oh by the way im writing a mini book about a gay teen who struggles with life and society. Its called

"Forgive me Father for I have sinned"

I got the first chapter and im stuck int he second one !

That book sounds great!

I can understand it, it must be hard to live like that. I admire people who just come out for what they are and don't give a flying feck about what others think. I never thought homosexuality was dirty or bad in any way. For me it's just..okay, it is different, but it's not very weird or so. People are just that way. Just like you can't force straight people to like the same gender, you can't force gays to like the other gender. People just have to accept it. Daaaamn!

LOL, in my personal opinion, I believe there is some truth in Religion...but the stuff we're fed (I.e. the Bible) is just...well, corrupt.

Religion is like one big mysterious cloud...It will never be truly uncovered...

But to say that the Earth needs to be saved from Homosexuals??

Okay, he's a strict Christian, and Christian belief (and Muslim and probably others if not all) is that homosexuality is wrong. Look at Oscar Wilde - he got sent to prison for being gay and it made him ill. Eventually, the genius man died.

People can't help who they fall in love with....

Sure, homosexuality can't produce offspring, but heterosexuality still greatly outnumbers homosexuals. I mean jeez, look back to the times when we were going through evolution, before all this Bible malarkey - did we know "right" or "wrong" back then? I doubt it! Doesn't look like it done us any harm back then, otherwise would we be here today?

There are bits in Religion that make sense and I can see why people follow it...but sometimes I struggle to believe that people don't form their own opinion.

He's the Pope, he's doing his job and following his religion, but to say that homosexuality is wrong is just making more people go against Christianity and religion itself.

I'm not too fussed on what people believe or follow, but sometimes I just wish people would leave other people to it, y'know?

I actually think that who you love is no one else's business, but your own.

You can't make a homosexual force to love the other gender. You just can't force someone to love.

Ofcourse he's doing his job and all, but to say the earth needs to be saved? The earth needs to be saved from narrowminded people!

I don't agree with what the Pope says, but I can see some of why he said it. In the Bible it is considered a sin. His job as pope surely involves reminding people of the values of "the church" (and I say that in inverted commas cos it's not the values of MY church necessarily) and one of them is that the church believes in the Bible and in the Bible homosexuality is considered a sin. But so are many other things. Surely the world needs saving from murderers and gossipers and gluttons and adulterers etc etc etc, as much as it may in any way need saving from homosexuals. And I'm not saying it does need to. I just don't see why he doesn't speak out about all of the "white-collar" sins out there. Maybe, because homosexuals are an easily targeted minority group, whereas practically all of us are guilty of some of those others and he would get under the skins of almost everyone?