Books & Literature. Reading & Sharing Thread.

adda

I have just read the fascinating book The Year Of The Flood by Margaret Atwood!:thumb_yello:

http://yearoftheflood.com/ca/

It is easy digestible science fiction! :wink2:

If I got it right there is a whole cult about her books in Canada, if someone knows more please tell me about!

Seems like it's going to be a film too:

http://sphinxproductions.com/films/flood/

And while we're at it, SF I mean, don't miss Suzanne Collins three books about the Hungergames!

I've read the two first and just about to start on the third one, Mockingjay!

Good reading!!!

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i use to love reading but i hardly read anymore =/ and now my english levels have gone down so badly :sneaky2:

i wanna start reading again but i always start reading a book but never end up finishing it :boxed:

anyone recommend anything? something that isnt too long and is fun, and funny?

I really recommend the 'The Dark is Rising' series by Susan Cooper. there are five books, and they're not that long and not hard to read either.

It starts with 'Over Sea, Under Stone', then continues with 'The Dark is Rising', 'Greenwitch' and 'The Grey King', and ends with 'Silver on the Tree'.

Um.. It is kinda hard to tell in short what it's about.. So here's the Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Is_Rising_Sequence

*cough* Not just 'cause I'm lazy, also because I have to leave like, now, for school. :teehee:

i use to love reading but i hardly read anymore =/ and now my english levels have gone down so badly :sneaky2:

i wanna start reading again but i always start reading a book but never end up finishing it :boxed:

anyone recommend anything? something that isnt too long and is fun, and funny?

"Unique" - by Alison Allen-Gray is very interesting. Not funny though, but I recommend it. It's about a teenager who finds out that he is not whom he thought he was. - that's all I'm saying! :thumb_yello: (oh and it's about the future, but not a very distant one)

• 1 month later...

*bump*

I believe that the winter holidays are an opportunity for all the busy people that have little time to read.

I have read "The Curious Case of Bejnamin Button" by Scott Fitzgerald.

Also I've read "Last Sacrifice" by Richelle Mead (Vampire Academy volume 6) - yeah I know it's one of those teen - vampire - romance non-literature books but 2 years ago I was experimenting on this sort of books, and I needed to know how the series ended.

For school I had to read "Maitreyi" ("Bengal nights" in English) by Mircea Eliade, and so I did read it again... for the 3rd time:roftl:

What did you read?

*bump*

I believe that the winter holidays are an opportunity for all the busy people that have little time to read.

I have read "The Curious Case of Bejnamin Button" by Scott Fitzgerald.

Also I've read "Last Sacrifice" by Richelle Mead (Vampire Academy volume 6) - yeah I know it's one of those teen - vampire - romance non-literature books but 2 years ago I was experimenting on this sort of books, and I needed to know how the series ended.

For school I had to read "Maitreyi" ("Bengal nights" in English) by Mircea Eliade, and so I did read it again... for the 3rd time:roftl:

What did you read?

Hmm, I must admit I haven't been reading as many books as I used to. I

think I'm spending too much time on the internet. :naughty:

The last book I finished was "Water for Elephants," by Sara Gruen. It was

excellent. It's currently being made into a film starring Reese Witherspoon

and Robert Pattinson -- I hope they don't spoil it!

I do have several books waiting to be read, but I haven't started any of

them yet... you've inspired me to start, though! :thumb_yello:

I think I'll tackle Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows -- no, I'm embarrassed

to admit I've not read it yet. :blush-anim-cl:

I'll let you know how it goes. :wink2:

That's on my "to read" list for AGES (I do have one too:teehee:... and it's long). And I know about the movie also ... here is the trailer

oh and Rob is pretty (good) @ non-vampire movies:mf_rosetinted:

I'm so glad! I don't read as much as I should either and I'm still in process of elaborating my vocabulary:biggrin2:

(I never passed the Goblet of Fire:teehee:) But I would love to hear more about Deathly Hallows from you:wink2:

I'm looking for something nice to read. Anyone got me a recommendation?

It really depends on what you like to read in general. This might help you: http://www.whichbook.net/

Edited by adda

I'm looking for something nice to read. Anyone got me a recommendation?

I suggest read Diana Wynne Jones books, especially the Chrestomanci series, you can know more about the autor and her books in Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Wynne_Jones

It really depends on what you like to read in general. This might help you: http://www.whichbook.net/

I'll check that out, thanks. :wink2:

I suggest read Diana Wynne Jones books, especially the Chrestomanci series, you can know more about the autor and her books in Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Wynne_Jones

I actually already read all the Chrestomanci books, and a lot of her other books. :teehee: They're actually right behind me in the bookcase now, all of her books, except Witchweek and Enchanted Glass. We used to have witchweek but lost it, and didn't buy Enchanted Glass yet. Well, we did buy them - they just didn't arrive yet. :teehee:

But thanks anyway, I might re-read them.

I'll check that out, thanks. :wink2:

I actually already read all the Chrestomanci books, and a lot of her other books. :teehee: They're actually right behind me in the bookcase now, all of her books, except Witchweek and Enchanted Glass. We used to have witchweek but lost it, and didn't buy Enchanted Glass yet. Well, we did buy them - they just didn't arrive yet. :teehee:

But thanks anyway, I might re-read them.

And you liked??? Wich authors do you like too???

I've just ordered this book:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0718156048/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=1846053447&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0N7YC7FSXK52NYV47369

Her first book, Dear Fatty, was quite simply wonderful, she isn't the easiest author to read in English so I will get a well deserved lesson in English as well!:naughty:

What's "Water for Elephants" like?

Several books waiting to be read :lmfao: I wish I had several books waiting to be read...

This is my ready to read pile (there's close to 30, I think):

a5c95e80-fef0-429e-8a32-1c7b29caaa06.jpg

Sorry for the blurriness and darkness of the picture, I took it with my phone...

At the moment I've got a challenge. The challenge is to read 100 books this year. My sister decided to do it, and I think she's talking about new books, so I'm gonna try that. Luckily for me my parents both read (dad more than mum) so I can flog some of their books and read them rather than buying a new book everytime I need to read a new one.

At the moment I'm reading some short stories by Dostoyevsky and also reading "A Clockwork Orange" by Anthony Burgess. Surprisingly enough, I really enjoyed reading the first short story by Dostoyevsky (It was called "White Nights"). He was very descriptive in his writing...

Dostoyevsky and all the Russian authors always have an hard time with me.

I don't know why, I don't get involved in their stories.

it's like...they're cold or something.

But someday, I need to challenge myself and read something like "War and Peace" and then I'll probably change my mind.

p.s. currently reading Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia"... is really a good book. I like Orwell's way of writing and this book is really a vivid portrait of Spain during the civil war.

Dostoyevsky and all the Russian authors always have an hard time with me.

I don't know why, I don't get involved in their stories.

it's like...they're cold or something.

But someday, I need to challenge myself and read something like "War and Peace" and then I'll probably change my mind.

p.s. currently reading Orwell's "Homage to Catalonia"... is really a good book. I like Orwell's way of writing and this book is really a vivid portrait of Spain during the civil war.

I thought it would be as well, but surprisingly enough it wasn't... the use of language was kind of flowery (if that makes sense)... Reminded me a lot of the way Lena writes on here actually...

War and Peace is on my list of books I want to read. One of the Aussie girls (soangel) on here read it I think, though I think she found it a bit hard.

The one I'm finding hard is A Clockwork Orange, only because the author used Russian language to base some of the words in the story. If you haven't figured out what word means what then it can be quite difficult to follow the story, though some of the words I've figured out pretty easily.

I'm reading:

1) American Gods by Neil Gaiman, which is just amazing!

2) She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. It's great but I swear it's a never ending book.

3) The Uglies by (I can't think of it off the top of my head). I love it because it shows how hard it can be just to be yourself. Plus, they reffer to us as "Rusties" XD.

4) The Kite Runner by (again, I can't think of it...). Its reeeeally good. It holds your attention and throws an amazing plot at you. Its a sad book though.

What's "Water for Elephants" like?

It was slow going at the beginning... I had a hard time getting into

it. But once I got past the first few chapters, I was hooked! Definitely

worth reading, Teegs! :)

And you liked??? Wich authors do you like too???

I did! She's awesome. :wub2:

I also like, um.. Jodi Picoult, Steven Levenkron, Diane Duane, Susan Cooper, John Marsden, Aidan Chambers, Michael Chambon.. and more of that sort. I also really love this Dutch author called Floortje Zwigtman, but I don't think her books were translated into English.. So you probably don't know her. :naughty:

Which do you like?

I'm reading:

1) American Gods by Neil Gaiman, which is just amazing!

2) She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb. It's great but I swear it's a never ending book.

3) The Uglies by (I can't think of it off the top of my head). I love it because it shows how hard it can be just to be yourself. Plus, they reffer to us as "Rusties" XD.

4) The Kite Runner by (again, I can't think of it...). Its reeeeally good. It holds your attention and throws an amazing plot at you. Its a sad book though.

I remember in 2009 I was in a Borders in Sydney and the person I was talking to recommended that I get The Uglies for my sister...

Only reason why I remember when it was is cause I was with RosinaKiwi and she was here in 2009...

It was slow going at the beginning... I had a hard time getting into

it. But once I got past the first few chapters, I was hooked! Definitely

worth reading, Teegs! :)

Oooh okay. I figure if I can finish any of the Stieg Larsson books (which spend about half the book setting the story) then I can manage that. Thanks Deb! :thumb_yello: