Books & Literature. Reading & Sharing Thread.

adda

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am reading "Life" of Keith Richards of the Roling Stones, an autobiography.

He writes like he's sitting next to you, telling the story of his life. Love it! Eventhough I've never been a real Roling Stones fan. I like many songs of them, but am not a die-hard RS fan. Still fun reading this book! :biggrin2:

Same here (I'm not a Rolling Stones fan), but I've meaning meaning to get a copy of that book!

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just finished the Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet (Tao of Pooh was a much more satisfying read in my opinion), and now I'm slowly but surely making my way through the Harry Potter series. I'm not much a reader though.:naughty:

I just finished the Tao of Pooh and the Te of Piglet (Tao of Pooh was a much more satisfying read in my opinion), and now I'm slowly but surely making my way through the Harry Potter series. I'm not much a reader though.:naughty:

I love to read, even I love philosophy books.

but, few days I feel so lazy to read letter things.

That's why I'm reading comics now :mf_rosetinted:

• 8 months later...

"Escape from Camp 14: One Man's Remarkable Odyssey from North Korea to Freedom in the West" by Blaine Harden

10778499-large.jpg

I saw a special "60 Minutes" interview Anderson Cooper did with Shin Donghyuk, who was born and raised in a North Korean prison camp, but managed to escape. He is believed to be the only person to be born and raised in a North Korean prison camp to have escape and lived to tell his story.

Please watch the heart-wrenching interview here.

I was so intrigued (and shocked and fascinated) by Shin's story, I felt compelled to buy "Escape from Camp 14." It's a book about Shin's life in the Camp 14 and his life after. I blew through the book.

It was a fantastic book. I recommend it to anyone. Please read it!

• 2 weeks later...

I just read Torka aldrig tårar utan handskar by Jonas Gardell (the name means something like "never wipe tears without gloves" in English). Great book!:thumb_yello:

And I'm kinda proud cos I read it in Swedish which is definitely NOT my first language.

All I read right now are Detective Conan series.

It's comics.

:mikacool:

Best thing ever to start reading. :D kind of like Sherlock Holmes in Japan. but Sherlock's dead in UK. :D I have the whole set, (of Sherlock and Case Closed [Detective Conan]. :D)

I'm still reading 'The Casual Vacancy' from JK Rowling. Because I really enjoyed reading Harry Potter (I grew up with these books :naughty:), I went and bought her new book too.

But I must say... I'm halfway through and I'm still not sure if I like it or not. I guess it's still growing on me. But it's starting to get better now.

It's totally different from Harry Potter, but I'm determinated to read this book untill the very last page, just because I want to finish it, eventhough I don't like it that much :teehee:

Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. A biography, respectfully, but it's one of the most interesting books to read. About a man, just out of college, who donates all his savings to charity and in a sense runs away. Traveling, living as a minimalist, stops contacting his family. He eventually ends up dying in the Yukon Territory. The author has to piece together parts of his life, it's really interesting to see all the places he went and all the people he met. Unique read.

I'm still reading 'The Casual Vacancy' from JK Rowling. Because I really enjoyed reading Harry Potter (I grew up with these books :naughty:), I went and bought her new book too.

But I must say... I'm halfway through and I'm still not sure if I like it or not. I guess it's still growing on me. But it's starting to get better now.

It's totally different from Harry Potter, but I'm determinated to read this book untill the very last page, just because I want to finish it, eventhough I don't like it that much :teehee:

I'm also reading The Casual Vacancy and even though it's not Harry Potter (I've grown up loving Harry Potter books) I think it's pretty good. And you can totally tell it's written by Rowling, she has a very unique way of describing things. :thumb_yello:

I'm also reading The Casual Vacancy and even though it's not Harry Potter (I've grown up loving Harry Potter books) I think it's pretty good. And you can totally tell it's written by Rowling, she has a very unique way of describing things. :thumb_yello:

"The Casual Vacancy" has caused furore in book stores in Moscow. Waiting lists have been started before it appeared in stores ! Now the sales officially have started and the book is as desirable as flaming pies))

nice to see that:thumb_yello:

• 1 year later...
I'm just bumping this thread up for the people who have been chatting about books :thumb_yello:

Thank you!!! ;)

And for those who didn't see my other post, I was recommending "the shadow of wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, it is just an amazing novel, it has love, hate, friendship, and of course, the perfect amount of mystery!!! One of the bests books I've ever read!!

Right now I'm about to start "gone girl" by Gillian Flynn, it's a thriller that my cousin lent me, sounds interesting but I don't know anithing about it haha I'll just read it!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Nice to see what people read - gives you a bit more insight into what they are like! :)

Me?

I have several 6' bookshelves full of books, and I live alone, so I guess you could say I'm a bit bookish. I read a little bit of everything, from biographies to social research to classics to non-fiction to sci-fi to who knows what... and Jess Walter and Sherman Alexie are two of my favorite local authors.

Some selected titles, randomly out of the 60 I have listed on my Facebook profile:

Moby-Duck: The True Story of 28,800 Bath Toys Lost at Sea and of the Beachcombers, Oceanographers, Environmentalists, and Fools, Including the Author, Who Went in Search of Them - Donovan Hohn

Open - Andre Agassi

Sock - Penn Jillette

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - David Wroblewski

The Road - Cormac McCarthy

Pure Drivel - Steve Martin

One Train Later - Andy Summers

I haven't had a lot of time lately to read, but I always have a book in my briefcase for spare moments.

• 4 weeks later...