’Mika recommends’- music he likes

suzie

Everybody knows that mika was listening to nirvana's-heart shapt box that was who enspired him to start his singer carierimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqpM85ASPjGI2riFfSzKZr3bGO3mkR6vV1_IBFG5UEJWslDS0&t=1&usg=___4Q6G6mF7tERMxwLhX0o5o2CruY=

I think the story is a bit more complex then that :teehee:

But anyway, Nirvana is among his favourtite artists already and in the part where songs are listed, it is songs from any other artists, really:wink2:

Didnt mika sing a lin of one of lily allens songs in live in cartoon motion? Like : The suns in the sky, oh why oh why, would i wanna be anywhere else? Does that count to be on the list? :wink2:

hmm, good thinking. I am pretty sure he likes Lily Allen - I mean her songs (:naughty:) not sure if i should just write that one song or her name among his favourite artists.. :confused: any further "evidence"?

hmm, good thinking. I am pretty sure he likes Lily Allen - I mean her songs (:naughty:) not sure if i should just write that one song or her name among his favourite artists.. :confused: any further "evidence"?

They used to play Alfie in the set between the opening act and his show.

Noo, i mean on parts of songs hes sung *looks for a clip*

I can't find it :boxed:

But if you have the live in cartoon motion DVD its on the documetery.

And the song's LND:teehee:

He sang it when he was explaining how lily allen has it easy, saying she just walks

around with a cigerate and beer singing 'the suns in the sky oh why, oh why

would i wanna be anywhre else' Im sure he said that.:ahh:

Edited by ZoeHeartsMikax

He sang bits of La Boheme - Charles Aznavour & Laisse Tomber les Filles - France Gall on Taratata a while back :teehee:

He likes Uprising - Muse aswell and he sang a bit of La solitude - Babara on Radio 2 that time when he talked about learning all the piano bits from it when he was a child :biggrin2:

Sorry if these have been posted before :teehee:

• 5 weeks later...

:doh: Lily Allen was already on the list

He sang bits of La Boheme - Charles Aznavour & Laisse Tomber les Filles - France Gall on Taratata a while back :teehee:

He likes Uprising - Muse aswell and he sang a bit of La solitude - Babara on

added these - Muse is already there

• 1 month later...

V., No real cover versions, just singing a couple of lines for the sake of fun (or because he was asked and was unable to decline :biggrin2: ..)

Macarena (Los del Rio)

Killer Queen (Queen)

I Want To Break Free -mixed with Underpressure (Queen) with Randy the Rat :biggrin2:

La Donna e Mobile (from Rigoletto)

Die Forelle (Schubert)

Fernando (Abba)

La Boheme (Charles Aznavour)

Laisse Tomber les Filles (France Gall)

He actually sang a bit of ''I Like Big Butts ( Baby Got Back)'' in the chubby bunny interview (and made me laugh for minutes)... :roftl: :roftl:

Hey, I just saw that Fiona Apple is not on the list yet! Didn't he say in a tweet few months ago after a gig at 5 o'clock in the morning :teehee:how much he loves her song "Paper bag"?

"I was staring at the sky, just lookin' for a star. To pray on or wish on or something like that. I was havin' a sweet fix of a daydream of a boy."

:lmao:

ok added it then..:biggrin2:

• 1 month later...

I love this thread...I haven't heard all the covers yet...how exciting :woot_jump:

I didn't know about "When doves cry"...I need to find it now :naughty:

thanks for sharing all this info and thanks to Marina who mentioned the thread in a post yesterday :flowers2:

• 2 weeks later...
Shall we add Chris Garneau - Dirty Night Clowns to the list? :D

Done:thumb_yello: thanks for reminding me.

I need to re-arrange the artists' names in proper alphabetical order, btw.

It looks really silly now that it is no longer one line per artist. You just can't find them

Did I dream that Mika sang "Une belle histoire" , a Michel Fugain cover at Sacrée soirée before" La solitude" of Barbara?...or maybe it's in the list and I didn't read it well...

The Barbara cover was already on the list but not the first one. I don't even remember it, to be honest..:blink: I added it, anyway, and will search for a recording of it later.

Thanks for drawing my attention to that! :original:

The Barbara cover was already on the list but not the first one. I don't even remember it, to be honest..:blink: I added it, anyway, and will search for a recording of it later.

Thanks for drawing my attention to that! :original:

I don't think that's a mistake as I was listening to it this afternoon :wub2:

It's best to check of course. Thanks Suzie :huglove:

Edited by crazyaboutmika

• 1 year later...

I think this interview fits in this thread, Mika was interviewed by France Inter when he was in Montreal about his passion for Barbara

Thanks Ysa for posting

Translation

It was 3 years ago actually. I heard a compilation in a car in London. I was waiting for someone and I heard this and I stayed in the car for an hour and a half, almost 2 hours, listening to music, just listening to her songs, and I couldn't believe that there was somebody who could mix sadness, joy, classical music, tradition of French songs, poetry, all this in such a beautiful and pure way that such a discovery when you're 20 something, I was 25, it's like a gift. Like a huge gift, and for months after that, I only listened to Barbara, I completely threw myself in her world, in her universe in order to understand why there is such a woman, where she comes from, how she can do what she does and how come people around the world don't know her. And it unsettled me, and it still unsettles me a bit because we should know Barbara all over the world. There is Piaf, there is Brel, there is Barbara. Why don't people know Barbara?

I completely understand it when people say that Barbara's music is like a drug because it's a kind of refined melancholy, and we know for certain that melancholy and sadness can be consumed like a drug, just like chocolate, like cocaine, it's a kind of extremity of sadness and that's why it can become addictive and often when you talk to people who love Barbara, they have a moment in their lives when they are completely into Barbara's universe, then they reject it completely and do not listen to Barbara for a year because they've had it; they have an overdose. It's sadness, we can draw a parallel with.. I don't know, it's not absurd, and it's not surrealist, it's very realistic, but it's poetic, it's a bit like Almodovar, it's a bit sexy, it's a bit dark, it's a bit dirty and we never feel very clean with Barbara's music, we feel very real. Her characters are not very beautiful, they always have a lot of flaws and she finds beauty in it. It's not seen through pink glasses, it's not life in pink, it's more life in purple.

Barbara's music is not necessarily very complex, we can get close to it easily, but with Barbara, the means of communication is melody. And actually in all she does, there's always melody. In what she sings there's melody, in what she plays there's often melody, a counter melody and in her bass there's also melody or arpeggio or sequences, it's very classical, it's almost neo classical in style, it's not baroque at all but it's neo classical. It's a kind of very refined melody and what is beautiful with her is that she finds melody in the lyrics. So she writes poetry but we can think that poetry and the melody she's singing are completely mixed together. For example she says a word and she finds melody in this word, and the rhythm is never in contrast with the melody she's singing. And it's very difficult to do, only a few people can do this, we all try to do it but she's the big priestess. I think it's the universe that I like more than anything. More than any precise song, it's the universe. Now I have Spotify, Universal's antichrist, ITunes' antichrist, they are all scared of it, but for me it's great because I can type in 'Barbara' and I hear a hundred songs and I can lose myself very easily in her universe.

She has a way of seducing us, and it's only after she has seduced with her melody and her very pure, very childlike voice, like a 16 year old girl; if you take any of her songs like 'Quand reviendras-tu' or 'La Solitude', you can hear all of her life and all the different versions she made for radio, because I collect her radio recordings and it's funny to hear how her voice changed but the intention is clear. She wanted to present herself with a very pure voice, so she seduces us in all these ways, with melody, with her pure voice, with this neo classical side but after you're seduced you realise that the knife hits you, the knife gets in slowly and then she turns the knife at the last minute and it's vicious and it inspires me a lot. I think we always have to do this in a way. We always have to seduce people and then when we have them really close, we tell them exactly what we think. I consider myself a student and she's the teacher.

We are very easily victims of Barbara and of her songs, and even of her look when we are 25. After going out in clubs, after taking a bit too much drug, having such experiences, we want to throw ourselves in a melancholic world which is a bit adolescent, which is comfortable. I think that indeed we are very easily victims of Barbara. I use the word 'victim' because I have this idea that she's.. she's like a witch in a studio Ghibli movie, a Miyazaki movie, a Franco-Japanese witch who lives in a tower in the middle of the ocean with a lot of cats and with a lover. It's really Miyazaki, with antiques everywhere in a fantasy world, a bit childlike but very philosophical and very beautiful at the same time, and very adult. She's also vile and mean and horrible just as much as she's inspiring, nice and tolerant. That's why she's a bit like Miyazaki.

About singing 'La Solitude' in Nice in 2010

It was crazy, I don't know why I did it. There were 55000 people in front of me (wasn't it more like 10000 Mika? :teehee:) who had drunk a lot, there were young people, there were old people, a bit of everything, a lot of people taking drugs and I thought, after a whole show with everybody dancing like crazy, with a man with a pig mask and leather clothes who went on stage and who was stinking so much, who danced with us for 15 minutes; after all this, after such a climax, I decided to sing a Barbara song. And when I started singing 'La Solitude', there were even people shouting 'no, no, not this!' or people booing, but in the end, the audience's reaction was huge. It probably took 45 seconds but after 45 seconds there was silence and at the end of the song there was a very strong reaction and I thought why not? Why not sing something we love, why not finish a show with something very small. There was pyrotechnic in the show and I thought why not go back to a very intimate moment. For me it was a bit funny because I always say we can be on stage in front of 60000 people and 30 seconds later we are backstage and then in our hotel room and we are alone. It's my life. It's always like this, I'm surrounded by people, of course I work with my family, but after some time I'm on my own in a room and I look at myself and I think 'is it stupid or what? What is this life I live? This kind of ridiculous, absurd life' So I thought it would be funny to sing a song about solitude in front of 60000 people. For me it's a little joke, I think nobody got it but I liked it.

A while ago I also found an article about Mika's current playlist; I suppose it fits in here too

http://blogs.lexpress.fr/all-access/2012/08/13/mika-le-clip-de-celebrate-et-sa-playlist/

I was in Nice and didn't realize there were so many ppl and so much weirdness going on :teehee:

I absolutely loved his rendition of La solitude :wub2:

anyway, now I'm very curious about Barbara and feel like listening more of her. :original:

I was in Nice and didn't realize there were so many ppl and so much weirdness going on :teehee:

anyway, now I'm very curious about Barbara and feel like listening more of her. :original:

Is La Solitude on youtube? And as an avid musical theater enthusiast, Barbara is my goddess! (MIKA is my god :wub2:)

Thank you very much Ysa and Camille!!

same here :wub2::teehee:

Is La Solitude on youtube? And as an avid musical theater enthusiast, Barbara is my goddess! (MIKA is my god :wub2:)

here you are :wub2:

[YOUTUBE]DlFofdCIhOM[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by mari62